PDA

View Full Version : Aloha Aulani- Belated Trip Report Part 1/California

DVC2004
06-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I am sorry this is late, there was alot of work to catch up on when I returned from the trip and then I had minor surgery. So!

We had a fantastic time visiting both Disneyland and Aulani at the end of May. we started off by visiting Disneyland and did stay off site this time at Embassy Suites South, a nice hotel but not close enough to walk. We had 2 day park hopper tickets and enjoyed visiting both parks. Crowds were large because it was Memorial Day weekend, but not the worst. Most waits were 30-40 minutes and the ones that were longer we would just get fastpasses for. Cars Land, as expected, was not open early over in DCA but it looked like a great addition to the park. We definitely want to go back so we can experience it. We ate at a couple places in DTD: Naples and Tortillo Joe's. Both sit downs. Naples is alot like Via Napoli at Epcot, I thought the pizza tasted and looked identical. Which was good. Tortilla Joe's is a sit down mexican place and we liked that too. A little disappointed when we were at DCA, in the past we went up to this little outdoor wine bar on a terrace. They used to serve wine flights. When we asked this time they said they were too short staffed to serve flights, so they didn't offer them that day. I don't understand that but whatever. We settled for a nice single glass of wine each while the boys ran off to ride TOT without parents. They love the little freedom they get occassionally now to explore the parks on their own (together but without us) for a little while now that they are teens. DL has some fantastic rides like Indiana Jones and Nemo's Submarine Voyage. The Matterhorn, also a favorite, was still being refurbished so we missed it this time. At DCA, my boys can't get enough of the California Screamin coaster. We probably rode that attraction the most. It takes off very quickly almost like Rockin Rollercoaster, but is outside and a good longer ride too. Also a favorite: TOT. It's a little different there. That's the beauty of DL/DCA, the attraction might be the "same" but it's really not. You can really appreciate the little differences between the rides. If you haven't gone, you really should visit one time at least. I do prefer staying on property for convenience, though we used all our points for Hawaii and the cost on property is significant. Anyway, it was a great start to the trip but only the beginning...read on...

KylesMom
06-22-2012, 02:37 PM
What a great start to your trip! A few days at Disneyland would be a great way to start your journey. As we've not yet made it out there, I like your attraction comparisons. Now - on to Hawaii! :mickey::papple:

faline
06-23-2012, 02:53 PM
It's been a while since we've been to Disneyland - am beginning to get that tickle that says it's time to go back.

Sounds like a great start to your tropical vacation!

wildernesslady
06-23-2012, 11:31 PM
I completely agree DL is so similar to WDW, but completely different. We stayed a good neighbor hotel last time and did miss being on property. You trip is off to a great start.