PDA

View Full Version : Yummy Baked Mac and Cheese recipe?

MizMissy
06-21-2012, 12:35 PM
I've tried on several occasions to make "real" mac and cheese. However, all of the recipes that I have tried (cookbooks, on-line, southern living) all turn out too dry.
Is baked mac and cheese supposed to be dry? I mean, the flavor is nice, but it's not creamy like box mac and cheese. I just hate when I make extra effort to cook "real" food and my kids (and husband) prefer the easier box kind.

Any suggestions??

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Do you use fresh cheese every time you make it? If the cheese isn't fresh and too much air has gotten to it, it may taste dry.

Also, if you use a low-fat or fat-free cheese in your bechamel sauce, it doesn't stabilize as well when headed and may cause curdling. The fatty cheeses help stabilize. Also, use whole milk or heavy cream.

I'd be happy to give you my recipe to try. It's at home so I won't be able to post it until later.

I suddenly have a craving for mac&cheese. :)

BrerGnat
06-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes, it tends to be thicker and sort of dry, particularly if the recipe includes an egg.

My kid is the same way, so what I do now is use Alton Brown's Stovetop Mac and Cheese recipe (on food network dot com) and then pour it into a casserole dish, top it with a mixture of melted butter, panko bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese and then broil it in the oven for about 10 min, until the top is nice and brown and crispy. You get the best of both worlds doing it this way, and it's nice and creamy!

Also, sometimes, I use a mixture of half cheddar and half Velveeta. I know Velveeta isn't really cheese, but it makes a nice creamy mac and cheese that kids will dig. And, use cheddar that is in blocks, not already shredded. The kind in the bag that is shredded has an anti caking agent added and that makes it powdery.

ChipDale2708
06-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Do a search for Emeril Lagasse's mac n' cheese recipe. He uses several kinds of cheese - it isn't a 'cheap' recipe, but it comes out extremely creamy and yummy. I made it for a party and dish was 'licked' clean!

kdbianchini
06-21-2012, 02:11 PM
I always use cheddar cheese soup mixed with milk and shredded cheddar cheese. I then pour this mixture over noodles, stir and then top with more shredded cheese.

missymouseworld
06-21-2012, 03:42 PM
8 oz elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tbsp flour

Cook macaroni according to package

In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add flour to make a Roux. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is thick. Put macaroni noodles in a casserole dish and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.

Topping:

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 pinch paprika

Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Dopey's Girl
06-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I don't have a recipe, but I remember my mom working on a baked mac and cheese for us as kids. We were so excited (who wouldn't be for mac and cheese!?) until she served it. Once we realixed it wasn't from the blue box, we were pretty bratty and didn't eat it. She still brings it up every once in a while.

Now as an adult, these recipes are sounding mighty tasty!

Altair
06-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Try using the long macaroni noodles with any of these recipes, I think they taste much better. Ronco makes some.:thumbsup:

joonyer
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
My wife has a recipe that has ricotta and cottage cheese as well as cheddar. It is very creamy and gooey. It's our boys' favorite homemade dish, although they like the box version too. I'll try to get the recipe and post it.

MizMissy
06-22-2012, 12:27 PM
thanks for all the suggestions! I can't wait to try them.

VWL Mom
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
For any pasta dish that is going to be baked you can set aside a ladle full of the water, drain the pasta, and then add the water back in. This helps the pasta from drying out while baking.

joonyer
06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Try this one:

Ingredients:
16 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
2 cups milk (or cream if you want to)
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon of salt

2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

While macaroni boils, combine milk (cream) and flour in a medium size saucepan and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens slightly. Remove from heat and add cheese, whisking until smooth. Then whisk in cottage cheese, ricotta, dry mustard powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir cheese sauce into the cooked pasta. Add bread crumbs & Parmesan cheese to top.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You can add more grated cheddar to melt on top in the last 2 minutes of baking if you want it even cheesier,

Yummy!