PDA

View Full Version : Ten years in the planning pretrip report

K8screen
06-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Cast
Me
DBF (Although it sounds odd to call him that as he is retired (and I am nearly).)

In the 10 years we have been together it has never been possible for us to get to WDW, because of various complicated work and family commitments. I went several times when my kids were little, and, in the last ten years I have been once with DD2 (now all grown up) and a friend, but, though that was great of course, I have been longing to take DBF.

And now, in 8 days time, we are going!! :cloud9: I still cant believe it!

DBF has never been on a flight longer than 3 hours before (this will be 9 hours) and he is pretty apprehensive about the whole thing. He thinks it will be 2 weeks of "big scary rides that he wont want to do" and, though I have explained to him that WDW is not about that, and we will not be doing the parks every day (we are off property, which I thought might reassure him) and he now claims he is looking forward to the trip, I think he is still only really going cos I want him too, and he is lovely enough to want to make me happy. :blush:

I usually have every day of a WDW trip planned, but this time I have only planned the first 2 days and one or two special surprise ADRs, until I see how he feels when we get there. I know he will love Epcot, AK and Seaworld, I THINK he will love DHS and Universal, I know he would hate Islands of Adventure, which of course leaves us with MK. I know he will have a smile on his face at MK as he knows how much it means to me, but it would be wonderful if he could enjoy it for its own sake too. So I have decided to hit MK at opening on our first day! If he doesnt get it, we will have everything else to look forward to, and it will still be a wonderful vacation, but if the pixie dust works???? OH BOY!!!!

I plan to start with PotC as we were watching the movie on TV when we decided to book the trip, and I thought it would be a gentle and reassuring start, but a friend told me that the drop at the beginning really frightened her, though I remember it as being tiny. Did it scare anyone else? DD1 says "Mum, you wouldnt go on big rides till we went to WDW and look at you now! He might surprise you" But I'm not sure he is going to transform into a coaster person, and I really dont mind, I am just so excited about the whole thing, and just want him to be as happy as I will be.
Wish us luck.

faline
06-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Ten years is a lot of planning!

Yes, that rather unexpected drop in the Pirates could be a bit off-putting - perhaps you should start with something totally tame like It's a Small World??

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
10 years, wow! I hope you have a wonderful trip! Enjoy.

K8screen
06-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Ten years is a lot of planning!

?

Perhaps I chose a misleading title. It should have been "Ten years of Wishing and Hoping!"

minnie04
06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
I hope you get all the responses you are looking for (from DBF). I hope he feels what we all feel when we walk into the MK :cloud9:. Don't overwhelm him with excitement on your side. Just let him feel his own at first. :mickey: I also hope he loves everything you have planned, so you will be able to come again soon.

Have a wonderful vacation!!!! :mickey:

Wolf
06-20-2012, 10:32 AM
I hope yall have the best trip ever!!! :mickey:

Dulcee
06-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Start small, Peter Pan or the Haunted Mansion.

You'll convert him in no time! :mickey: Have fun!

EeyoresBestFriend
06-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Sounds wonderful and Disney is always worth the wait and planning!! :thumbsup:

I hope you do a couple of trip reports ~ I would love to hear what he thought of it all!

Have Fun!! :cloud9:

mommy2maddi
06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Have a magical trip and please tell us how it goes!!! :mickey:

K8screen
06-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Thank you SO much everybody!
I certainly intend to do trip reports, and I know we will have a wonderful time just being us.
I am almost exploding with excitement, but as a minnie04 suggested I will try to keep calm, but DBF knows me well enough by now not to expect too much in the way of "quiet reserve"
(and I think he quite likes me this way anyway!)
:secret: :thumbsup:

T-Belle
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
One of my favorite things is showing someone WDW for the 1st time! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read all about it!
IMHO I wouldn't worry about the potc drop. I think it's just a little "tummy tickler" and it's over before you realize whats happened. Again, just my opinion. Have a great time!!!

K8screen
06-21-2012, 02:33 AM
One of my favorite things is showing someone WDW for the 1st time! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to read all about it!
IMHO I wouldn't worry about the potc drop. I think it's just a little "tummy tickler" and it's over before you realize whats happened. Again, just my opinion. Have a great time!!!

Thanks so much . Exactly how I see it.

Joannelet
06-21-2012, 05:24 AM
I think no matter what just go with your intuition. If you think he may not like the drop (even though we know it isn't a big deal) then don't do it first. Do something light and funny like The Jungle Cruise first. Maybe alternate between dark and cheerful rides/attractions. It may help him ease into your stay. Have fun!

TikiGoddess
06-21-2012, 06:35 AM
If you think it would help, tell him about the drop and just how short it is. It is a little unnerving, especially since it's in the dark.

Hope you have a great time!
Kathy

K8screen
06-21-2012, 07:30 AM
If you think it would help, tell him about the drop and just how short it is. It is a little unnerving, especially since it's in the dark.

Exactly what I planned to do!

LandFan
06-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Wow! Have an amazing time on your trip!! Can't wait to hear about it!!!:thumbsup: