PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West

Mackflava99
06-18-2012, 11:42 AM
We have never stayed at OKW before, but this year, since we are going at Christmas, our first few choices were not available.
So we decided on OKW, but i have some questions that I am hoping someone could answer-

1.) How is it since the Refurb ?
2.) What do you like/dislike about the resort?
3.) Any pointers or tips to enjoy our stay there?
4.) How is the pool ?
5.) How is the Table service - Olivia's?
6.) what is the next closest resort?
7.) how is park transportation to/from OKW ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
thanks,
Bryan

ThanxForNoticin
06-18-2012, 12:59 PM
OKW is actually our home DVC resort, and one of our favorite places to stay. The rooms are probably the largest of any of the Disney resorts. I think the refurb has definitely helped brighten and clean it up a bit.

The pools are not fancy, but are nice. There's a main themed pool near the main Conch Flats area, where they have a sand area for kids and a slide. There's also a hot tub and sauna there. There are also 2 or 3 quiet pools around the resort if you prefer something a bit smaller. Olivia's is a nice place to enjoy any of your meals during the day (we prefer breakfast there).

Next closest resort? Probably Port Orleans or Saratoga. There's a boat that will take you to and from DTD during the day - it's a nice relaxing ride.

Bus transportation? No better or worse than other resorts. I believe OKW has it's own bus going to the theme parks (along with DTD and the water parks), but there are 4-5 stops the buses make within the OKW complex itself, which can slow things down at times.

But I think you'll be happy with the resort. We find it to be a very peaceful place to stay. All rooms overlook either water or a golf hole - or both. I'd also recommend you spend some time at Conch Flats, where you can enjoy basketball or tennis or shuffleboard or can rent a bike.

mgmnut
06-19-2012, 03:38 PM
We are also staying at OKW for the first time. What is the best building to request to be close to busses and main building, pool, etc. how far out do you make roo requests?

Becca3557
07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
To be close to the main resort areas, you would request rooms near the Hospitality House. See the attached map for the locations. This is a guaranteed reservation and should be requested at time of reservation. The HH buildings are 11 through 14 and 23 through 26.

mgmnut
07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
It's funny, I tried to do a room request at booking time and he said room requests were not accepted by them, that I would have to make the room request through the resort.

Patricia
07-09-2012, 11:23 AM
You can find resort maps right here on Intercot..

Resort Maps (http://intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/default.asp)

BugeyedMuggy
07-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Just got back from OKW in a 2BR villa 4 nites and 4 nites in a studio. We are very open minded and non planners. Rented a car which with the size of the resort is a must for internal transportation. The pools were bath water warm. The rooms were ok but we spend little time in them. They are larger than other resorts but they do not utalize the space best. Ask for a room away from the highway as it can be very noisy at all times. The balcony in the studios is smaller than most which larger is important to us. The best part of the resort was the golf course on property and the food at Olivias was good. The external transportation was a 5 min wait but looking at other bus stops none was more than 4 people in line during the daytime. You do have quite a few stops within the resort just to get on route to your detination.