PDA

View Full Version : Beach Shacks Worth It?

MrPeetrie
06-18-2012, 06:37 AM
Typhoon Lagoon has beachcomber shacks for rent. On our next trip will be DW, DD9, and DS2. I'm thinking with a young one, it would be nice to rent this. My questions are:

Are they worth the extra expense?
How far in advance do I need to make reservations? Can I do it the day before we go? Or do I need to do it much earlier? (We are going in September.)
Are they nice?
Do they have sand floors? (My son would LOVE that.) Or is it a finished floor?
Thanks!

mgmnut
06-18-2012, 08:20 AM
From a picture I saw of one of the shacks it is a sand floor. The shack looks very nice, and the amenities sound great. Padded wooden chairs and lounge chairs, a cooler stocked with water, all day drink mugs, personal attendant, personal locker, towel service for up to 6.

Since you have a 2 year old you may be looking at it differently than me but for 250+ dollars I still would not think it is worth it.

I read a couple reviews of the beachcomer shacks and they said the attendants are less than attendant. One review said they only came by to bring them lunch and that was it. Of course these are just a couple of reviews.

There are a few areas where you can get a shaded spot and lounge chairs for free. September is a low crowd volume time to go so you may not need to drop that kind of money and still get a good spot, especially if you gert there early.

Hopefully someone who has used the shacks comes along with a first hand review for you.

BrerGnat
06-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I'd pass, as tempting as it sounds.

Rather, I'd just plan to arrive early, find a nice shady spot, and set up for the day. It's not hard to get drinks at Typhoon Lagoon. You can bring your own snacks (stuff you know your kids will eat). Towel rentals are cheap, so do that, and rent a locker to secure your valuables, and you're out less than $20 for those two things.

There is plenty of seating at TL and plenty of shade as well.

I would cap the rental cabana at around $100, for me personally. $250 is WAY out of the ballpark for that kind of thing.

buzznwoodysmom
06-18-2012, 09:57 AM
You may get good use out of it with your 2 year old, but I still think it's priced way too high.

I remember passing near those cabanas at the water parks and thinking "not sure when we would actually use those". We didn't go to the water parks to relax (that's what the hotel pool is for), we were in the pools or on the slides the whole time. Even during peak summer there were still some chairs available, and we arrived an hour or so after opening. You'd have much better luck arriving when the park opens, and September shouldn't be a problem. I just don't think the average family would get good use out of them.

MrPeetrie
06-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Thank you all for responding. (I didn't realize they were THAT much money?)

Melanie
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Go on a Monday (we were there today) and don't worry about it. Crowds were very decent today. Get there early, set up in the shade and off you go. I personally recommend the beach area at Crush 'n' Gusher. It wasn't crowded at all, but when walking around I noticed the other seating areas had thicker crowds.

Enjoy! We had a great time!