PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Difficulties (scooter)

DunkinNut
06-16-2012, 02:52 PM
During our recent stay I had a few issues with bus and boat drivers while on my rented scooter (from Apple Scooters). For me, being in a scooter is only temporary but it gave me a new perspective on what others must go through who may be in one regularly.

I wonder if issues like what I experienced are rare? I certainly hope so.

Before I describe the two issues, however, I would like to say that I am VERY thankful to the many transportation professionals who carted my family to and fro for 8 days without incident! : )

One boat driver (we were departing from The Dolphin) became visibly frustrated with me - shaking his head in disgust and NOT acting very Disney-esque - when he pulled up to the dock for guests to disembark and I didn't realize we had arrived and didn't exit the boat. He asked when I got on the boat where I would be getting off and we told him....but I began taking pictures and I guess my mind trailed off and I didn't realize we were at my stop and he was just off the hook about it. I asked my kids to step off so as not to embarrass them....but I did set "Bob" straight. Told him he didn't have to be so rude even if I did the UNTHINKABLE and forgot to disembark the boat! Oy!

The other incident was with a bus driver who pulled up to The Dolphin. At this resort they have painted a little square with an accessible symbol painted inside of it so that if you are IN IT it is a clue to the bus driver that pulls up that you are wanting to get on HIS BUS. So....when I pulled up I put my scooter in the square and waited patiently. After a few minutes he came to the back of the bus - opened the door - and bellowed at me "HOW AM I SUPPOSE TO KNOW YOU WANT ON THIS BUS?" I was just literally floored. I told him I was in the square and that THAT should be a clue to which he mumbled something under his breath. More of what both of these not-so-gentlement "said" was in their body language than their words....but they were both quite angry. I gave him a piece of my mind as well to say the least.

I did take down both of their names and will be reporting them. But I just wonder (and HOPE) that this is not typical for people at Disney in ECV's and Wheelchairs.

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

DisneyRPh
06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
I've had difficulties, but not with the drivers, but from other guests. I rented from Apple a couple trips ago, and was very happy with them. I'm an amputee, so my need for a scooter is very visable. I was waiting at the bus stop at POR, anxious to be going to the park for the day. When the bus came, I was initially unable to get on because none of the other guests wanted to make room for me to load. Eventually a father and daughter moved, and was visably upset. He told his daughter it was my fault they were going to be late to the park, and according to my sister, gave me a one-finger salute. The entire experience didn't ruin my day, but now I rent the scooters at the park so I can try to avoid the situation from happening in the future.

Disney4us2
06-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Sorry for your experiences. I have had no problem with the boats. As for the busses. I would wait in the square. When the bus I wanted pulled up I would just wave to the driver and shake my head yes. If a bus was going to a park I was not, I would shake my head no. I had no problems with this system.

TiggeRia
06-16-2012, 04:07 PM
This tends to be a rather volatile subject. We have to rent a scooter when my dad travels with us as he only has one lung and can't handle all the walking. Needless to say, after the first trip with him we now rent a car or drive our own so we can transport the scooter ourselves and save him the stares and comments from others. Never had a problem with the bus drivers themselves, just the system in general and other guests.

Daisy'sMom
06-16-2012, 04:09 PM
While I was at MK recently we encountered a horrible CM. I was with my SIL who suffers from MS and uses a walker. We were at Haunted Mansion and followed the CM into the handicap area. She told us to follow her, when another CM got right in front of my SIL and literally pushed her back with his body. After the ride, I found a supervisor and was given the brushoff. Thank GOD DH is an attorney and is following up with disability advocate. I was furious. The CMs did not care, especially when they could have caused my SIL to fall on the moving platform.

greengeen
06-16-2012, 04:26 PM
You're "reporting" people who didn't read your mind and bow to your every wish?? I don't know. I see both sides of this story.

ElenitaB
06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Wow. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to say here.

Like many who have posted to this thread, I have had both good and bad experiences. And, unfortunately, I have heard of so many stories of horrible experiences (including making WISH children cry). But to say that people didn't "read minds and bow to wishes"? Wow!

No one (adults and children alike) who use ECVs, walkers or wheelchairs have asked for, wished or chosen the heatlh conditions that necessitate using these assistive devices. Many of us are extremely grateful for the opportunity to have an approximation of a "normal" vacation with our loved ones at WDW. Most of us take the time to thank the CMs who help us and learn the "rules of the road." We follow the rules and are courteous.

I can't talk for others, but I can talk firsthand from my experiences. I lterally get hoarse from my litany of "excuse me, excuse me" as I try to make my way to my destination. Other moderators on this site have witnessed this. I have also had other guests refuse to tuck in their legs (so that I won't run over their toes) while parking my ECV on the bus (and in fact, stuck them further out). I've been cursed out. I've been left at the bus stop at MK not once but twice in a row, even though I was in the proper location. I'm grateful to say that I've not had any issues with CMs. On the other hand, on more than one occasion, I have also let busses leave without loading me when we arrive at the bus stop and there are long lines.

Unfortunately, I have heard stories that have almost brought me to tears, particularly when the object of the CM's "not bowing to your every wish" is a WISH child. (One of the worst incidences was at HM... coincidence? I no longer ride that ride because I'm not confident in my ability to navigate the moving walkway.)

Yes, there are two sides to every story. But neither one of them should be marked with a lack of compassion.

I pray that you are grateful for your health. It's not easy when you are born without it or lose it.

And yes, CMs who treat guests poorly do need to be "reported." CMs who put other's health in jeopardy by pushing them? Yes, they need to be "reported." CMs who insult guests directly do need to be "reported." They will have the opportunity to tell their side of the story to their managers. (I wonder how these same CMs treat their coworkers who are differently abled? Makes me shudder a bit.)

Disney Hungarian
06-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Since the OP asked about the transportation at WDW. I shall limit my response to that. In the last 6 trips with my mother: I have had no less than 2 bad experiences on each of the 6 trips. The most common is a bus will pull up empty. The bus driver will walk up to me and tell me I will have to wait for the next bus. Never an explanation, just that I will have to wait. No worries, I probably am happier waiting than to have the driver try to mistreat my mother. Disney does have good policies in place, the CM's are human and as such, there are good ones and there are bad ones.

ElenitaB
06-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Sean, I've been asked to wait for the next bus on several occasions, particularly with the older model busses, but have always been told that it's because the equipment doesn't work correctly. Much better for me as I don't like that particular version of the Tower of Terror! :drama:

Disney Hungarian
06-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Ellen,
I was informed on my trip in May, that they were down to just 30-40 of those elevator style busses. The new busses they just rolled out are AMAZING!!! Love the new lock down system. Very fast and secure.

TiggeRia
06-16-2012, 09:00 PM
One of the biggest problems we had specifically related to the buses occured mainly at the deluxe resorts where the buses are shared between several resorts. One year at the Poly we had to wait for about three buses to come and go for the AK because there were already several people on board each bys because it came from another resort first and they would not board an ECV with that many people on the bus.

TheDuckRocks
06-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Sean, I've been asked to wait for the next bus on several occasions, particularly with the older model busses, but have always been told that it's because the equipment doesn't work correctly. Much better for me as I don't like that particular version of the Tower of Terror! :drama:

Oh, my gosh Ellen! I have just snorted Water through my nose. I now have the perfect name for those hateful busses.:funny:

Now to the serious side of this discussion - I too have been on the receiving end of poor treatment from a few bus drivers, some of it downright dangerous. On the dangerous issues I have always gotten names and reported them. On the rude or stupid behavior from the CMs I just tend to write it off as it being more their problem not mine and don't let it ruin my time at Disney. For fellow guests I keep reminding myself that karma will bite you in the end.

In praise of all the CMs at DIsney - they are the Best!!! Traveling to other locations always at some point has me muttering, "They sure could use some Disney Magic!" Being in my scooter always gives me a different view of things and a lot of gratitude that Disney does make a large effort to try to make the playing ground more even for all. And I sure as heck know that I for one would never want to be a Disney bus driver.

Dulcee
06-17-2012, 08:17 AM
We traveled once with a very young family member who due to health reasons had to use a motorized wheelchair. Its hard enough that other guests give you a hard time, whether through comments or looks. It truly isn't right for an employee. We we're fortunate that we had only one marginally negative experience with a cast member. Most we're truly magical.

Disney cast members are expected to go above and beyond. Biting their tongue and keep their comments to themselves is not above and beyond, its basic human decency.

I'm glad the bulk of your trip went smoothly!

PETE FROM NYC
06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
DW and I are both ECV users, her for 12 yrs, me for the last 3. I rent from Apple but hope to have my own for our upcoming Sept trip.
I have nothing but compliments for all the bus drivers that we have had. The only CM we ever had trouble with was at POTC last trip. A female CM was going to let us in the side entrance like we had been through in the past. Then a male CM came out, took my GAC and said I was not allowed to use any other entrance, even saying that a side entrance did not even exist. I told him he was nuts because we used it earlier that week. He started getting huffy, and I tell you I started calling him every name in the book. I went to complain at guest relations and got no satisfaction there. If anything like this ever happens to me or my family again, I will make a formal complaint to ADA, and if necessary, call the media.

DunkinNut
06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Though I'm sorry to hear that so many have also had issue....I'm glad to read that for the most part we can all appreciate that those unfortunate interactions are not super common. I, of course, take issue with the "cater to every whim" statement (paraphrase). But I'm sure he/she expected that. Respectfully I will tell you (though I suspect that you already know this) that I (nor MOST people in ECV's/wheelchair/other assistive devices) am VERY willing to do what I can, when I can to minimize inconvenience to others. I am always very appreciative and vocal with my 'thank you's'. I was more than willing to transfer when asked. Some drivers preferred I stay on my ECV - others asked me to transfer. I did whatever made his/her job easiest. Each of the two times I was taken aback by CM's....it was NEVER for my own personal experience - but all I could think was about those who have a permanent disability and who don't feel they have a voice and are pushed around easily. I certainly don't ask CM's to bow down to me.....nor that they make my experience any less magical due to his/her own actions.

I think I learned this yesterday...but what is a GAC?
:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

LVT
06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
1.Various buses have physical limitations too. I have seen no wheelchairs access(Older or temporary due to crowds) and at least 2 variants of wheelchair access, as well as breaking wheelchair access devices. There were also only 1 or 2 wheelchairs spaces on buses.
2. The guidelines on where to wait seemed to be in revision in 2011 so few knew what to do.
3. I thought the bus had to be empty to load the wheelchairs/ecv's. How does that work with the multiple stop routes like Boardwalk or waterpark routes?
I hope these threads help the people needing wheelchair access. No plan is perfect.

joanna71985
06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
I think I learned this yesterday...but what is a GAC?
:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

GAC= Guest Assistance Card. It helps out CMs with guests that have invisible disabilities