PDA

View Full Version : Holy expensive eggs cinderella!

Septbride2002
06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
So we are in planning mode for my daughter's birthday trip next Summer. I was thinking doing breakfast at the Castle would be a big deal. She will be 7, she has been asking to eat in the castle and so on.

I just checked the prices - are they serious? Over $50.00 per adult for liquid eggs? I realize I'm paying for the "experience" but WTH??? We are a family of 4 plus 2 adult friends will be joining us - I would feel obligated to pay the over inflated prices for them to eat at this meal since it is for my daughter. So we are looking at almost $300.00 for breakfast!

Does anyone else think the price is a little insane?

Remember - we Krank because we Care!

~Amanda

BrerGnat
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Yes, it's insane. I wouldn't do it even if I had a princess obsessed daughter. I'd personally use that as an example to teach my child a lesson about value. My son is obsessed with vacuums. OBSESSED. He asked for a Dyson vacuum for his birthday. We had a LONG talk about how many other things we could do with $600.

It's a personal decision, but think about how much further that money would go elsewhere. Maybe give her a choice and let her decide if she'd be happy with JUST that for her birthday.

ANG
06-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Has she been to the BBB?

I wouldn't pay that much for food either.

Tinkerbella16
06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
That is rediculous! But people will continue to pay it, so they will continue to raise the price. We wouldn't pay that kind of money for breakfast. We went to CRT for breakfast once years ago, and it wasn't anything special at all. Its a shame how much the prices are for the experience, that should be no excuse for the food to be just blah.. the food should be top notch for that amount.

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Yikes! That is expensive. As an alternative, is this breakfast something just you and your daughter could do? That way you'd only be spending $100 as opposed to $300.

floridamom
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Septbride, have you considered booking an appointment for your DD at BBB in the castle? It *may* end up costing you less than the meal, and she'll still get the full princess treatment.

We had lunch at CRT last October and even with our TiW discount, it still felt WAY overpriced. We've also dined at Akershus and felt the princess interaction was great, food was better than CRT, and prices were more reasonable.

BrerGnat, I definitely agree about teachable moments. but I have to chuckle about your son and the vacuum. We spent around $400 on a Dyson six years ago and I still tell my husband it's been worth every penny! :-)

#1donaldfan
06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
We did the breakfast there several years ago only because it was in the castle and we've smelled that wonderful, breakfast aroma coming toward us year after year....BOY, were we incredibly disappointed. Yes the price was high, but we planned for it, saved our pennies, but my goodness, the meal was terrible. It was a pre-plated plate full of almost cooked food. We have had many great breakfast meals at Disney, yet this was not one of them.....save the money !! Eat at the Wave !! much better !! IMHO !!:cool:

Disney Doll
06-15-2012, 03:55 PM
You are eating in the castle. It doesn't get much cooler than that. It is expensive, but if I had a daughter who was into princesses I would do it in a heartbeat. I would not however drag along the adult friends. Disney fanatics aside I can't imagine two childless adults really enjoying that experience.

Gator
06-15-2012, 05:04 PM
The price, (or the 2 TS credits) is not worth it for me. We've done it the last 3 trips for my daughter. But the food quality isn't worth it, and I can get nice ambience at a lot of other restaurants. Plus I'd never spend that much for breakfast. Lunch, maybe. Breakfast, never.

TinkerbellT421
06-15-2012, 05:14 PM
You should look into akershus. For the money it's much more worth it than the castle and comes with a free 5x7 photo. Princess interaction is much better there.

Imalismom
06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I did this for 4 adults last May - yes, the price is high. But, even if your princess is 19 years old, its great to see her enjoying herself. They do have a new menu (at least it was new to me) with some good choices on it, and you can mix and match, so that was a nice treat also.

A Big Kid
06-15-2012, 08:38 PM

~Amanda

Yes. After making it a tradition to eat at Cindy's, we quit going when they went to the new pricing structure. It is just stupidly insane. Sadly, people will still pay it and.....whatever the market will bear...

SBETigg
06-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I think a lot of people are willing to pay for the experience, not necessarily paying it for the food alone. Maybe for a very special experience with a little one who really wants to be there and will remember it always. Though, I agree it is overpriced and not worth it for me. You might try Akershus or a meal at 1900 Park Fare, which might also be pricey but not that pricey and you can expect princesses and a better value.

DizneyRox
06-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Yes. After making it a tradition to eat at Cindy's, we quit going when they went to the new pricing structure. It is just stupidly insane. Sadly, people will still pay it and.....whatever the market will bear...
Disney has broken quite a few traditions for us, one of them our annual anniversary trip, that I pledged to keep (we got married at WDW). Its just gotten way out of control and I won't be party to it. This summer will be the second without a WDW stop... AND we're already trying to figure out where we will be cruising next year so we can prebook on board and save a little cash.

TikiGoddess
06-16-2012, 06:02 AM
I agree with trying Akershus. We did CRT for lunch one year and won't do it again. It was nice, a novelty to see the restaurant in the castle, but the princesses were rushed and the food was just okay.

We did Akershus for lunch the next year and were much happier. The food and service -- excellent (cutest waiters at WDW - Scandinavian gods) -- and the princesses took their time and talked with our daughters. My husband and I are disappointed that our girls are no longer interested in princesses so much... I'd go back to eat at Akershus in a heartbeat.

Kathy

Dulcee
06-16-2012, 07:40 AM
We're doing it this trip for the first time but only because we have the deluxe dining plan. Otherwise it wouldn't have made the list.

AgentC
06-16-2012, 07:55 AM
It is a totally obscene cost for breakfast. I consider doing this every trip because my 4 year old daughter loves princesses and Cinderella is one of her favorites. And every trip I pass because I just can't justify the price (and the prepay since I'm local and don't use the dining plan.)

We have done Akerhaus several times and she loves that meal. We have also done the 1900 Park Fare dinner. I wasn't crazy about the food, but the children can dance with Cinderella and her prince. My daughter was in heaven. :cloud9:

Like a few others I also recommend BBB if your daughter is interested and hasn't done it. We did the middle package and it was a great experience.

Airblue1
06-16-2012, 08:03 AM
We did it last May. Used Rewards $. Would never pay OPP for it. The service was absolutely terrible. The plates were extremely hot from being under the lamps and you felt like cattle being pushed through. Will not do again unless it's free or on Rewards $:mickey::mickey:

Ian
06-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I agree the prices are insane and the experience isn't even remotely worth it.

I think Airblue described it well ... the food is terrible, the service atrocious, and the entire experience is so rushed that I guarantee you'll leave feeling completely cheated.

Your entire meal you can feel that they can't wait to get you out of there and get the next sucker ... err ... guest seated.

Skip it.

Terra
06-16-2012, 09:46 AM
I normally don't mind paying Disney prices because I expect it, but I have always thought that this is expensive, though the atmosphere would be so neat!

My sons are 4 and 5 and honestly I don't want to pay the $35ish a piece for them and they will only eat a couple of waffles. And my 5 year old is ASD/SPD so he's very particular about food/textures. No way would he eat that much food.

Both LOVE the princesses though and really want to go inside the castle and eat with them, but I just can't bring myself to pay it!

Kairi_7378
06-16-2012, 10:03 AM
DH suggested this for our upcoming trip because DS3 had a great time with the princesses last year. I can't justify the cost.

I do wish they'd stop blocking off the walkways through the castle as much. I get my "castle fix" by looking at the murals.

spoiledraf
06-16-2012, 11:56 AM
We were late in deciding to go with a party of 7 so it was impossible to get reservations for all of us at CRT (thank you Jesus!) BUT a week before we arrived my wife found a spot for two. So nana and Abbie got to meet the princess's. Character meal dining price's in general are getting out of hand. 4 adults and 3 kids at Crystal Palace cost us $338. That made the paltry $176 at Ohana look cheap. I will not give in to the wifes dining plans ever again. But as mentioned they sell these attractions out day after day so why make it reasonable.

Septbride2002
06-16-2012, 03:42 PM
You are eating in the castle. It doesn't get much cooler than that. It is expensive, but if I had a daughter who was into princesses I would do it in a heartbeat. I would not however drag along the adult friends. Disney fanatics aside I can't imagine two childless adults really enjoying that experience.

Our friends are like aunts and uncles to our kids (I would say grandparents but they aren't old enough to be considered that :D ).

We have done the Princess Breakfast in Epcot before and it was okay. We have also done 1900 Park and Fare which was great. I just honestly cannot get over the price for this so called "experience."

~Amanda

AmandaChan
06-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Maybe you could just take your daughter and have it be a special mommy/daughter birthday breakfast? Everyone else can meet up with you at the park?

mommy2maddi
06-17-2012, 08:24 PM
It is outrageous, but most people who do it do so for the experience. One suggestion would be to try Akershush. We've never been but will be going in Dec. Heard good things about it and you get to see princesses...not necessarily Cinderella, but you also get a picture of you with Belle. It's about $38/pp for breakfast. Just a thought.

madhatterrules
06-18-2012, 09:36 AM
everyone in our party thought that eating in the castle was cool but the food was HORRIBLE, McDonald's food is way better. would never go there again; there are other places you can meet the Princesses and have a good meal too!
IMHO It's not worth it.

AJ Springfield
06-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes, in my opinion it is WAY too expensive. Your estimate of $300 is a low estimate since you are not considering tax and tip. Tip alone is 20% = $60. You are looking at at least $400.

jonahbear2006
06-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I dont know if you will have a car but the Golden Corral is only a 12 min drive outside of Disney World. It isn't the castle but when I was there for 3 weeks in October with my kids, alone, I ended up spending a lot of weekend breakfasts here. It was affordable and the food wasnt any less appealing than a lot of disney buffets. Its an ok way to start a day and for less than $50

Mousemates
06-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Yes, in my opinion it is WAY too expensive. Your estimate of $300 is a low estimate since you are not considering tax and tip. Tip alone is 20% = $60. You are looking at at least $400.

$65 per head for breakfast is insane, especially when the food and service are not purported to be insanely good. If you feel it is not a good value for you and your daughter, don't do it.

mydisneygirls
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't know what all the hype is about eating in the castle and agree with the others...I think it is outrageous. I can't justify paying all that money for a couple waffles, a few pieces of bacon and maybe 10 mins of interaction with the characters. We now skip breakfast completely because of the prices. I think she would actually enjoy 1900 Park Fare for dinner better. She can meet Cinderalla and Prince Charming and the stepsisters put on a good skit. And you pocket will like the price better also.

Imalismom
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
,snip> I can't justify paying all that money for a couple waffles, a few pieces of bacon <snip>

Just FYI - the menu has been updated, and the price does also include a photo package - with the new menu you can order one of each - or a little from each. We actually got one of each (4 adults) and tried everything family style - and we even ordered the children's french toast sticks to try.

Here is the new offerings:

Traditional Breakfast
Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, Bacon, Rosemary-Lemon Roasted Potatoes
Stuffed French Toast
Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast drizzled with Cognac Chocolate Ganache served with Bacon and Fresh Fruit
Baked Quiche
Goat Cheese, Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with a dollop of Goat Cheese Cream served with Rosemary-Lemon Roasted Potatoes tossed with Arugula
Healthy Choice
Scrambled Egg Whites, Hot Ten-Grain Cereal, Greek Yogurt topped with Castle-made Granola, No-Sugar Added Walnut-Sunflower Bread and Fresh Fruit
Steak and Eggs
Grilled Filet Mignon on a mild Chipotle-caramelized Onion Frittata served with our signature Rosemary-lemon Roasted Potatoes
Lobster and Crab Crepes
Warm Cheese filled Crepes topped with Spinach, Sauteed Lobster and Blue Crab Meat with a Poached Egg perched on top and draped in Hollandaise Sauce

disneynarula
06-21-2012, 09:43 AM
I think the prices for character dining are over the top. I understand it is more about the experience and not the food but it still makes me cringe. My DD is only two and only loves "Mimmie" I am spending my "overpriced" egg money at Chef Mickey's!:blush: Since we only go to Disney once every three years or so I might not be able to turn it down when she is in the princess stage.

I agree that maybe it is something that you and your daughter could do alone. MIL and I are taking DD by herself. for a girl's morning. DSs have not interest in character dining.

I don't think you should feel obligated to pay for anyone else. If they want to go they can pay for themselves.

ledudes
03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
We were also dissapointed with our last meal there. I could not believe the price when we got the bill. I had alsways thought it was a set price thing per person and when I saw it, I was shocked at thow much they charged for my meal alone! The service is rushed and they weren't that friendly. I am torn because we go every year, but lately it just doesn't seem worth it.

MarkC
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
A lot of people think it's ridiculous to buy a Porsche or Bentley but some people do it (disclaimer- I drive a 5 year old Chevy Malibu). However, it's called capitalism. As long as there is a demand at that price they will keep the prices at that level.

A lot of people think going to Disneyworld is a waste of $$$. Yet most of us on this board can't think of a better way to spend our vacation dollars. It's all a matter of perspective.

BhamWriter
03-22-2013, 04:13 PM
My son is obsessed with vacuums. OBSESSED. He asked for a Dyson vacuum for his birthday. We had a LONG talk about how many other things we could do with $600.

Rather than WDW, you might consider a vacation to one of the many lovely vacuum museums around the country. I haven't heard of a vacuum-themed park, though. If someone creates one, imagine the great rides: Whoosh Mountain; Haunted Hose; Dyson!; Carousel of Carpet; It's a Small House; Door-to-Door Salesmen of the Caribbean; Dust Devil Jamboree; Living with the Dirt. The possibilities are endless.

Polynesian Dweller
03-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Yep, the prices are high for the food. But determining the worth is more complicated than just looking at it as though its the cost of food alone. Unlike non-character places you are paying the salaries of all the characters. They will add to the cost of the meal ( they have to be paid ) and then it becomes whether they are worth the extra cost.

Based on food alone, no way for us and non-character places are much better value. But if the reason for going is to give your little a magical experience to remember all their lives by meeting a princess, it just might be worth doing once.

mom2morgan
03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Rather than WDW, you might consider a vacation to one of the many lovely vacuum museums around the country. I haven't heard of a vacuum-themed park, though. If someone creates one, imagine the great rides: Whoosh Mountain; Haunted Hose; Dyson!; Carousel of Carpet; It's a Small House; Door-to-Door Salesmen of the Caribbean; Dust Devil Jamboree; Living with the Dirt. The possibilities are endless.

I have not laughed so hard in a long time. Thank you, thank you!!

Scrappy2
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM
If you have never done it and it means a lot to your daughter then I would so go for it. We took my girls a few years ago and we had a great time. It was my daughter senior trip and that is the one place she ask to go. She always wanted to eat at the castle. It's not something I would pay for each year but I would do it once and glad we did.

Patricia
03-23-2013, 11:28 AM
I have never been to the castle to dine, but then, I've had a life with boys. However, we did just get our first granddaughter, so I can't say that I won't ever do it. :princess:

I have always thought of character dining along the lines of "dinner theatre" and expect to pay more for the theme and actors.

My biggest complaint with all Disney World Signature dining is that rushed feeling being mentioned here. I barely get my seat warm and they have the bill on my table. Not all of us want to rush back out to the parks. I know there are people waiting, but maybe they take too many ADRs?

ledudes
03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Yes, the rushing part is very annoying. They seem to seat everyone in waves at the castle and then the whole place basically empties out and refills again for the next group. I just sit there if I am not ready to go. I gave in and booked the castle again because my girls just really love going. I am not thrilled about the price, but it is a special occasion type outing so I'll put up with it for another year. I am still curious what the exact price is though, I can't find it anywhere. They charged my card $122.57 for 1 adult and 2 kids in advance.

Airblue1
03-24-2013, 10:30 AM
HUGE!
So expensive. My daughter loved it, but if she knew better she would have walked out. So expensive, plated food.
The ultimate catch 22!
Good Luck:)

Donald Duck
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes, way too expensive !
I would never spend that much per person for breakfast no matter which character was there.

My daugters are now 14 and 21. When they were young we did character breakfast and dinners every trip. The prices were much less and the food was much better.

It's a shame Disney keeps raising prices and the food level and service level keeps going down.

I would say over the past 5 years or so, Disney is more concerned with squeezing every last dime out of every guest .

They are slowly pricing out the middle class from going there. Eventually only the well off are going to be able to afford to vacation there.

Donald Duck

beksy
03-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Growing up, we stayed and ate off-site. Our only meals in the parks were CS and one meal in Epcot's World Showcase. I didn't even know character meals existed or that I could eat in the castle. :( On my first trip as an adult (with just my sister) we discovered the on-site properties and eating with the characters and have never looked back! So now we are basically reliving our childhoods on our trips (and when we take Mom she enjoys it just as much--we are all kids at WDW!) I handle most of the planning but my sister insists on eating at the castle each trip. I cringe at the price (or in our case the 2 dining credits) but once I see the look on my baby sister's face when she is in the castle, it is worth that outrageous price. I'm sure that when I have kids I will look at it the same way. Kind of like that commercial talking about the costs but at the end the experience is priceless. Just my :twocents:

NJGIRL
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Personally, I would do it at least once. I don't have a daughter, but we took my niece two years ago and her face was priceless. We took her to BBB first and then to lunch right after. She loved it and I didn't think the food was bad either. Pictures of her and Cindy were included.

I think the suggestion of just you and your daughter going is a great way to save a little money while still letting you daughter have her birthday wish.

CuteAsMinnie
04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
So we are in planning mode for my daughter's birthday trip next Summer. I was thinking doing breakfast at the Castle would be a big deal. She will be 7, she has been asking to eat in the castle and so on.

I just checked the prices - are they serious? Over $50.00 per adult for liquid eggs? I realize I'm paying for the "experience" but WTH??? We are a family of 4 plus 2 adult friends will be joining us - I would feel obligated to pay the over inflated prices for them to eat at this meal since it is for my daughter. So we are looking at almost $300.00 for breakfast!

~Amanda

Yes, slightly!

DD(20) never asked to dine with Cinderella. Just recently she asked, "Why haven't we ever had breakfast with Cinderella?" I'm glad I was able to answer, "Only because you never asked."

:cool:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Our DD is 23 and had been reminding me that she hadn't been to the castle "since she was little" so we splurged and went on our December 2012 trip.

She was so put off by the way they rushed us thru breakfast and the less than impressive food that on the way out SHE said it was not worth it and would rather do Chef Mickey or even Crystal Palace in the future.

princessgirls
04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I am the mom of two girls. We have eaten at the castle three times. The first time when they were 3 & 4 was pure Magic. It was worth the price, IMO. They LOVED every second of being there, and felt really royal. That was in 2005.
Now, I am a logical person, and have found that Princess dining in Norway/Epcot is good and a tad cheaper, and although they are 11 & 12 now, it is still a must do on our vacation.
However...for the little princess, if you can do it, The Castle is truly magical.
Julie:mickey: