PDA

View Full Version : Last-minute (no joke!) Birthday Bash Trip Report last day

tinksmom02
06-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Cast: Me and Jenna, DD9

After the trauma that was the previous night's thunderstorm, I let Jenna sleep in until almost 8am LOL We got ready, packed up and said good-bye to our room. Checked our luggage at Bell Services and hit Everything Pop for one more breakfast.

BIG mistake waiting so long--so crowded! I had the waffle with fruit again (this time a POP waffle), and Jenna had another banana nut muffin and some watermelon. Breakfast out of the way, we made our way to the DHS bus, where we were alone for a few minutes. Sadly the bus filled up. We spent the trip to DHS speaking to a few woman and a little girl who had literally just arrived. Tried to give them some tips and tricks.

It was after opening by the time we got to DHS, so the line for bag check was ridiculously long. And I just don't understand the people who try to get in the no-bags line with...bags! Seriously, it doesn't matter if it's a little purse--the chances are if you're carrying it and it has some kind of strap, it's a bag. Get in line.

Once we got through the initial crush, the crowds weren't that bad at all. There was no line for Toy Story FPs but the return time was 1:05. We didn't know if we'd still be in the park but there wasn't anything else we needed FP for (DD refuses to try RNR or TOT), so we grabbed them anyway and then hopped in the standby line. I forget what it was posted at but we only waited about 20 minutes or so. Not bad!

As we are leaving TSM we spotted a green army man so snapped a quick pick and then made our way over to Star Tours. Which is A.Mazing. Jenna was the "rebel spy" whose picture was shown on the screen. She was excited to see Darth Vader and the Storm Troopers doing the Jedi Training while we were waiting in line, too.

We headed over to the Great Movie Ride next, which was ridiculously crowded for some reason. No joke, we waited 25 minutes :confused: But Jenna loves this ride, so wait we did. Then we grabbed some churros--she's hooked, I tell you!--and they had the R2D2 containers so I had to carry the bucket around for the rest of the day LOL We ate our snack while waiting in line for Star Tours again, and had a completely different experience the second time around. Fun!

After Star Tours we decided to make our way over to Epcot to spend the rest of the day. We walked up one of the "streets" where they have the Osborne lights at Christmas, and it was basically us and maybe a dozen other people. I actually took a photo because it was such a stark contrast to the crowds during holiday time! Honestly, DHS did not feel that crowded at all--the day after the last Star Wars weekend might be the time to go!

We took the boat to Epcot and in what felt like 16 years we were at the International Gateway. ;) I tried to persuade Jenna to get off at the Boardwalk or Beach Club, and walk, but she wanted no such thing.

We wandered around World Showcase for a while. I made her get a kakigori in Japan, which she didn't really like, and I grabbed some teriyaki chicken at Katasura (sp?), which was pretty good. I actually got the kids' meal, so Jenna snacked on the cookie while I ate the meal. I let her get a henna tattoo in Morocco (LOL Jenna's henna) and we explored some of the shops in the various countries before making our way to Norway to ride Maelstrom, and then Mexico for the Gran Fiesta ride.

After the ride I wanted to stop at Cava de Tequila for a drink, and noticed that they had some seats available, so we sat and ordered chips with all three dips--salsa, queso, and guac. DELISH! The chips were hot and fresh and the queso was super tasty, although just a smidge too spicy for Jenna. This is where she discovered (finally!) that guacamole isn't that bad. I've been trying to get her to eat it for years, but it was only now, when she was trying to cool her mouth off after the queso, that she realized guac is good. Neither one of us liked the salsa--it was too sweet. Oh, and I decided on a coffee margarita this time around--and it was very, very good.

Once we finished up in Mexico, we decided to head over to Journey to Imagination ride (or whatever it's called), which was walk-on. Cute ride, Jenna didn't remember it. After Figment it was time to head back to catch DME, and I was starting to worry about timing, so we grabbed a cab to get back to the resort.

Back at POP we grabbed a few last minute snacks and souvenirs (photo album & the silicone Mickey muffin mold), let Jenna play in the arcade for a bit, and then grabbed our stuff. DME was ten minutes early, got to the airport & through security with no problems (no over luggage limit fees for me this time around, YAY!). We got burgers from Wendy's, boarded the plane as soon as it arrived, and were on our way home.

Looking back over the trip, it seems like all we did was snack LOL I was happy to have tried 2 new restaurants this trip (Yak & Yeti, Beaches & Cream); even if we won't be returning to Y&Y, it's nice to finally be able to say we tried it! And lots of new snacks to add to our list of favorites. It was a great long weekend and we had a blast. Unfortunately, the problems that prompted me to book this trip were waiting for me when I got home (why did I think they wouldn't be???), but having some recent Disney memories help with the stress!!

Thanks for reading!

mouseketeer mom
06-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Christi, Your weekend away was fantastic. All we do is snack too!! :blush: I love, love, love the spontaniety of the trip. That was the best part for me! Thanks so much! I really enjoyed the reports.

tinksmom02
06-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Christi, Your weekend away was fantastic. All we do is snack too!! :blush: I love, love, love the spontaniety of the trip. That was the best part for me! Thanks so much! I really enjoyed the reports.

Thanks, Lisa, glad you enjoyed my reports! If you look at pics from the weekend (which I have no idea how to link to, per Intercot's TOC, at all!), you'll see Jenna with a pineapple float, Jenna with kakogori, Jenna with chips, and guac, Jenna with Beverly--OMG how could I have forgotten that in my trip report-I totally made her try Beverly and told her it was the best thing ever! I'm such a mean mom!

Anyway, they're all food pics!

EpcotChic23
06-15-2012, 08:14 AM
You did so much on your depature day, that is great!!!! I have been dying to try the tequila bar:marg: in Mexico just alway busy when I stop one day I'm glad to hear you got your mini Disney Fix. Thanks for the report!

VWL Mom
06-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Even though the "stuff" will be there when you return, you're break from reality sounds like a success (minus the lightening). Thanks for sharing your reports with us.

BTW, how was the coffee margarita?

Mickey'sGirl
06-15-2012, 08:44 AM
What a great trip. Glad the trip home was smooth!

faline
06-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Even though the stress remains at home, leaving it behind for a while was, I'm sure, worthwhile!

What a fun last day you had!

wildernesslady
06-15-2012, 10:17 PM
It is great to escape reality. I'm glad you had some time with just your daughter.

tinksmom02
06-17-2012, 07:10 PM
BTW, how was the coffee margarita?

OMG the coffee margarita was delicious! It was served frozen and tasted almost like a Coolatta from Dunkin' Donuts, but with a grown-up kick. :blush: Loved it!

Joannelet
06-17-2012, 09:47 PM
K, now I am so trying that coffee drink! Your pineapple dole whip escape was well worth it and a better way to tackle the stress that waited for you at home. :) loved reading your report! :)