PDA

View Full Version : cheap temporary phone

K8screen
06-14-2012, 03:52 AM
I saw it suggested somewhere that, rather than use our UK cell phones to text each other when we split up, contact restaurants to book etc etc while in Florida, (we are going for 2 weeks! :cloud9:) it would be a good idea to buy a cheap disposable US phone. We dont need it for pics, we have cameras. My question is where do we get these and how much do they cost?

Disney Hungarian
06-14-2012, 07:35 AM
I just did a search on eBay for "pre paid cell phone" found quite a few. Shipping to the UK is more than the cost of the phone in most cases.

K8screen
06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks. I was planning to buy when we get there if you could tell me what stores have them.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-14-2012, 07:51 AM
There will be lots of options once you get to Florida, but I know that places like Wal-Mart sell cheap phones, with a number of minutes and texts already included. So, for $25 or less, you'll be all set and avoid the crazy roaming charges on your phones.

BrerGnat
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
You might find some at the airport! I think I've seen those prepaid phones there. There are a few electronics type stores, and I've also seen those sold in kiosks and such at malls and airports, so I think that might be an option.

Otherwise, many chain pharmacy stores such as Walgreens carry these. You can easily find a Walgreens or CVS on the way to Disney.

Otherwise, Target and Wal Mart also have them. Also easy to find.

MargaretMessler
06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
Don't buy at the airport, they gouge you on everything there. Google directions to the nearest Walmart, Target, or really any retail or grocery store between the airport and WDW. You could spend $25 or less per, and get something that would more than suit your needs.

Or, if you found a good deal online, you could always check into shipping them to your resort/hotel in anticipation of your arrival.

faline
06-14-2012, 08:18 AM
The stores mentioned do carry these phones. I've also seen international phones for rent so you might check if that is an option for you.

Mickey'sGirl
06-14-2012, 08:21 AM
We don't use our Canadian phones in the States either. Too expensive. You can purchase inexpensive phones at Walmart, as previous posters have said. That is the route I would take. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
06-14-2012, 08:33 AM
For clarification, I only suggested the airport in the event that the OP would not have a rental car for use to get to a store. I would also not recommend the airport as the cheapest option, but it would be cheaper than renting a car or taking a cab for the sole purpose of getting to a store to purchase a phone. :)

TinkerbellT421
06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Depending on where you are staying you could get to the Hess Station either across from the Boardwalk Resort or near Downtown Disney, they have the prepaid mobile phones.

K8screen
06-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Walmart here I come!!!

disneynarula
06-20-2012, 03:49 PM
That is good to know. We are coming from Germany and could probably use something like this.

SandmanGStefani24
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
there is also a non contract company called MetroPCS that sells phones without a contract. When you buy their phone, you get a free month of service with unlimited calling and text. You can even add on international abilities for a few bucks more. The phone costs about $50 for the cheapest one but at least all the services are included...might work for you.