PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in December?

rnin02
06-13-2012, 02:14 PM
We normally go in September, when the temperature doesn't stop you from swimming:) But what about December? I see the temperature fluctuates quite a bit...highs in the 60s one day but then 70s-80s the next...does the water stay warm enough to swim on those 70-80 degree days? Are the warm days really that common mid December?

DisneyDINK
06-13-2012, 02:35 PM
We normally go in September, when the temperature doesn't stop you from swimming:) But what about December? I see the temperature fluctuates quite a bit...highs in the 60s one day but then 70s-80s the next...does the water stay warm enough to swim on those 70-80 degree days? Are the warm days really that common mid December?

I have read the pool at the resorts are heated year-round. The water temperature should be fine. Wether or not you'll want to go swimming or to a water park any given day? Hard to say.

I went the January before last. Again, from what I've read, January is just a bit colder, on average than December or February. On my 7 day January trip there were 2 legitimate pool days. The other 5 days of my vacation were on the rainy, cloudy or chilly side, at least for my taste.

It will definitely be a bad idea to schedule pool time in advance; you'll need to be flexible.

That help?

Wolf
06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
We've gone all times of the year including several trips in January, we have always seen people in the pools, now our theory is that it depends on where you are from like if you're from somewhere super cold that FL might seem warmer than it does for us coming from AL, but its always been WAYYY too cold for me in Jan/Dec but there are often really warm nice days that I wouldn't be opposed to, we just never get back to the resort while the sun is still out. Good luck!!

Strmchsr
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
The pools are heated so it's usually okay to swim. The issue is getting out and back to your room. That can be quite chilly.

Disney Doll
06-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I've never been in December, but I have been several times in Jan & Feb. The pools are heated although it still may be a bit on the chilly side. Some people do swim, but I need it to be warmer than 80 to swim.

rnin02
06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Actually I guess the problem is we are staying off property:( So I need to see if that pool is heated. Thanks for the input though!

buzznwoodysmom
06-13-2012, 03:36 PM
The pools are heated so water temps won't be a concern. What will be the deciding factor, at least for me, is what kind of weather you'll have. December can be very warm, or on the cold side.

We've been in December before when I wouldn't have dared get into the pools. It was down right COLD. Then last Christmas we were in WDW/Universal for 9 nights and could have swam each and every day. The temps never got out of the upper 70's during the day. Some days were warmer than other's and one day we spent the entire day at the pool! We didn't actually swim on Christmas day, but the pool was full that day!

MargaretMessler
06-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I went in January of 2003, it was the coldest January in recent years. Furthest thing from my mind was swimming, but some people were. I don't think I would plan January again just because there's always the chance.

DisneyDINK
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Actually I guess the problem is we are staying off property:( So I need to see if that pool is heated. Thanks for the input though!

I could totally see Eeyore saying that! :thumbsup:

And I'd be really surprised if your hotel pool wasn't heated.

jonahbear2006
06-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I have learned that it pays to always find room to pack your robes, from home. It doesnt matter what time of the year you go. They are very handy things to have. For December trips, they are a necessity. Swimming in December is very tolerable, esp. during the day. End by hot tubbing,...dont do it first, and then robe up and go back to your room!

Main Street Jim
06-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I see the temperature fluctuates quite a bit...highs in the 60s one day but then 70s-80s the next...does the water stay warm enough to swim on those 70-80 degree days? Are the warm days really that common mid December?LOL...they said, "fluctuates quite bit from the high 60s to 70s-80s"... :) That's not "fluctuation". Fluctuation is 85 in the daytime and in the 30s/40s at night :)

December temperatures vary quite a bit throughout the month. I lived in central Florida for nearly 40 years; I've seen the middle of days with temps in the *teens*; I've seen Christmas days with 90-degree temperatures.

I'd pack cold- and warm-weather stuff. Dress in layers so you can peel it off.

Pirate Granny
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Hot tubs and a robe for me...every night except in the rain...walk back to the room can be might fast. :cool:

BrerGnat
06-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Plan to be able to swim, but be flexible in case you can't.

While the pools ARE heated, those heaters do break occasionally! We were at Beach Club last December, and the first day, temps were in the low 80's, sunny...perfect swimming weather. As soon as we got into Stormalong Bay...WOWZERS was it freezing! There was no one in the pool, and I immediately knew why. I asked a guard why it was so cold, and he told me the heater had broken 3 days earlier, and the pool was only about 73 degrees. They were "working on it", he said, and should be fixed that day. We spent our pool time in the little pool adjacent to the kiddie slide in the back of the shipwreck, as that pool had a (working) independent heater. It felt like bath water after the main pool.

Two days later, the heater had been fixed and the pool temp was finally up to the low 80's by the 4th day of our trip. So, we did swim, but it was a bit more chilly than we had hoped.

Through that, we were NOT offered an option to use another resort's pool, BTW, so we had to grin and bear it, or settle for the quiet pools (which my kids had zero interest in). ;)

In general, though, it was warm enough for swimming every day from Dec 16-22 last year.