PDA

View Full Version : Late Nov/Early Dec Crowds???

sonamae80
06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
So, I have done a good bit of research on crowds and when it's the least/most crowded at WDW. And from everything I've read on here and other sites, the week AFTER Thanksgiving weekend is supposedly a "low" crowd weekend. Well, my Mom called yesterday to book our "girls only" long weekend with her DVC points, and was only able to get us at our "home" resort of Saratoga Springs. We were able to be wait listed for the Grand Floridian, but I'm baffled that for this particular week (we're planning on flying in on 11/27 and flying out on 12/2) to be a "low" crowd week, that so many of the places are booked.

Am I missing something?! LOL! Not that it will deter us, we're still going and we will have fun no matter where we stay...but I was just curious!

Thanks! ;) :mickey:

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm also curious about crowd levels in December. DH and I are hoping to go sometime in early/mid December. We want to go when all of the holiday decorations are up, but want to go when it won't be too crowded. Any advice/dates would be appreciated.

Strmchsr
06-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Everyone used to say the week after Thanksgiving was the least crowded week of the year. And because all the guidebooks said that lots of folks started going then. None of December would be considered "low" crowds any more, but they aren't horrible, either. What you have to keep in mind is that the first weekend of December is when they tape the Christmas Day parade, which makes the MK a zoo. Friday in front of the castle and Saturday on Main St with Sunday all over the place. You definitely want to avoid MK those days. The second week of December is the Pop Warner Super Bowl so you have lots of pre-high school football players and cheerleaders running around, especially at the value and a couple of the moderate resorts. It's just stuff you have to expect and deal with. Again, crowds aren't bad, but early Dec/late Nov is no where near the "low" crowds of years ago. Actually the lowest crowds while the Christmas decorations are up would be the week before Thanksgiving week. You would miss the Candlelight Processional, but all the decorations would be up and the MVMCP would be going on.

TexansInNY
06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Second week of December is perfect and, having been at other times, I would classify it as low. We love that time of year and have many wonderful pictures on low populated and even empty streets. See you December at WL!

:party:

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Which dates for this December do you recommend? We can go pretty much whenever (in terms of weekend/week days). Looking to go for 3-4 days.

Strmchsr
06-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I would say the week of Dec 10, weekdays, would be your best bet if low crowds are important to you. Weekends are crowded with locals coming in and after that week the Christmas crowds will build quickly.

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
@SonaMae80: I wonder if you got waitlisted because the DVC @ GF will be brand new? Sending you pixie dust that you get it!

Disney Doll
06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
If you are staying on DVC points I think any low point time of year tends to book up. At least that has been my experience.

Yo Mickey!
06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
we go the first week of december every year and the crowds are usually pretty light. this year we are headed down nov 30 - dec 9 and expect the same. we like that week as we stay at bcv and the college football awards are going on. my son and i can walk around the boardwalk and see all of those guys, pretty cool.

Gator
06-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I always heard it was light, but it's been kinda busy when we've been there. Hoping for light crowds this time around.

brivers222
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
we had our honeymoon last year december 9-19... awesome time and awesome crowds. we were able to do everything we wanted when we wanted. crowds did start picking up around the 18th though