PDA

View Full Version : Pizza flyers in your resort room door

Mickey'sIrishPAl
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Last year when we stayed at Caribbean Beach, we were swamped with pizza flyers wedged in the door or slid through into our room. I remember Intercot posters mentioning that this is some sort of scam and that these establishments (or thieves) will use your credit card information and steal from you if you order from them.
Now, thanks to all of you, we were aware and did not order from these places/ people but what I really get annoyed about is how secretive they are about it. I remember seeing this young adults peeking in through the sides of the blinds and looking into our room before sliding their annoying pizza flyer into our door. This infuriated me and I chased these young people down as I was talking to the front desk. They knew that i was angry and that i was reporting them and they ran to a vehicle and sped off (hopefully stopped by security).
So, does anyone know if Disney has done any more to prevent these less than reputable (and I am holding back my true feelings and explicitive names for them) from entering Disney property? Id like to think that mor ecould be done to prevent these people from having freedom to roam the grouynds spreading their scamming flyers.
Oh, and what really upset me was my daughter (3) had just finished a bath and was walking around the room before dressing. Wasnt real impressed that some young person was looking through the window at that moment.

Anyone have stories or gripes about this? Would love to hear your opinions.

Wolf
06-12-2012, 02:19 PM
I've never heard about this, (we did get some flyers last trip when we were at the Poly but just threw them away, too much great food to just call in a pizza) but I'm very sorry to hear about them creeping on yall through the windows, thats scary!!

MommaMouse
06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Ugh-I hate those stupid flyers! Last November my family and I were in the hallway making our way back to our room at the Boardwalk when I saw these two young women putting those flyers under people's doors. They must have known we were onto them because they attempted to conceal what they were doing and ducked out down a different hallway. As soon as I got into our room I phoned the front desk who put me in touch with security and I was able to describe them pretty much to a tee. As far as what ended up happening after that-I have no idea. The security person who handled the call did not seem too impressed so I'm curious if they actually did something.

stephicakes
06-13-2012, 06:29 AM
I read the same thing on Intercot before our last trip so I was on the lookout for them and knew not to order pizza from them. Thanks for the heads up Intercot!

I cannot believe they looked in your window - that is a COMPLETE invasion of privacy and I would have done the same thing and chased them down too!! :mad: Grrrrr....

JPL
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
I have read a few stories about the Pizza scams aqlong with many others that take place at WDW. If you ever want to order a Pizza call the Concierge Desk and ask them to recommend a place that is reputable. Of course I would never recommend Florida Pizza :sick: except for Via Napoli in Epcot :mickey:

#1donaldfan
06-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I have read a few stories about the Pizza scams aqlong with many others that take place at WDW. If you ever want to order a Pizza call the Concierge Desk and ask them to recommend a place that is reputable. Of course I would never recommend Florida Pizza :sick: except for Via Napoli in Epcot :mickey:

True, who wants any 'ol pizza when you can have Via Napoli !!????!!!!!

joonyer
06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
There are a number of really good pizza places in Orlando with both NY and Chicago style pizza. I don't know how many of them deliver to WDW resorts though. But I don't think you'll have to be limited to Pizza Hut, Domino's or Papa John's while at WDW. I agree seeking the advice of the concierge is a good bet if you do want good pizza delivered to your room. I always have found TripAdvisor to be a pretty reliable predictor of good food also.

DVCJohn
06-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I guess the question I have is; why is the management still allowing these people to put the flyers under the doors. They know that there is a scam related to this. By allowing this practice to continue, could Disney be legally a party to a crime???

Mickey'sIrishPAl
06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I guess the question I have is; why is the management still allowing these people to put the flyers under the doors. They know that there is a scam related to this. By allowing this practice to continue, could Disney be legally a party to a crime???

From my own observation, it appears that they are well aware of the issue. I think that at any resort, expecially one the size of CBR, it is difficult to police just because these people are stealthy. Once they see someone or anyone that may have witnessed them putting these flyers in the doors, they run like heck and meet up with their counterparts. I'm just wondering how they get past the security checkpoint (we have never driven to WDW but was sure that you had to show proof that you are staying at the resort to get passage into the resort itself.) That is a very good question tho John.

dnickels
06-13-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm just wondering how they get past the security checkpoint (we have never driven to WDW but was sure that you had to show proof that you are staying at the resort to get passage into the resort itself.) That is a very good question tho John.

They come in just like anyone who wants to check out the resort or eat at the resort. "Hi I want to eat at your resort." Some places have a gate and they show their ID but others don't and they can just walk in. With all the people that come and go from a resort the ID check is mostly for show so it's not like the guards are going to recognize a drivers license picture as matching the description of someone who was soliciting two weeks ago. There's generally no security checkpoint when leaving a resort so it's easy for them to leave if they get 'caught.'

I'd add also that not all of the pizza flyers are scams trying to steal credit card info, that has to be a very small percentage or else the stories about it would be far more widespread than they are. If you're a criminal and want to get some credit card numbers you just take one of those flyers, copy it and change the phone number then slip a few of the fakes under doors. Most of those flyers are actual pizza places that figure the increased business they gain is worth the risk of violating the no solicitation rules. Shady on the part of those pizza places yes. Illegal on the part of Disney? No.

As mentioned, always better to call the front desk or look in a phonebook or online for a company that delivers if someone wants pizza rather than trusting something someone slipped under the door.

EJS-Houston
06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
They come in just like anyone who wants to check out the resort or eat at the resort. "Hi I want to eat at your resort." Some places have a gate and they show their ID but others don't and they can just walk in. With all the people that come and go from a resort the ID check is mostly for show so it's not like the guards are going to recognize a drivers license picture as matching the description of someone who was soliciting two weeks ago. There's generally no security checkpoint when leaving a resort so it's easy for them to leave if they get 'caught.'

I'd add also that not all of the pizza flyers are scams trying to steal credit card info, that has to be a very small percentage or else the stories about it would be far more widespread than they are. If you're a criminal and want to get some credit card numbers you just take one of those flyers, copy it and change the phone number then slip a few of the fakes under doors. Most of those flyers are actual pizza places that figure the increased business they gain is worth the risk of violating the no solicitation rules. Shady on the part of those pizza places yes. Illegal on the part of Disney? No.

As mentioned, always better to call the front desk or look in a phonebook or online for a company that delivers if someone wants pizza rather than trusting something someone slipped under the door.

Even if they're not running a scam, I learned the hard way on a business trip to New York never to order from flyers left on your hotel room door. If you can't see the place where your food is being prepared, you run the risk of food poisoning.

Wolf
06-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Even if they're not running a scam, I learned the hard way on a business trip to New York never to order from flyers left on your hotel room door. If you can't see the place where your food is being prepared, you run the risk of food poisoning.

Thats a good (and scary) point I hadn't thought of!!

mydisneygirls
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
This has been going on for quite some time. Personally, I don't think security does anything about it and I think they should. Maybe they should hire extra security to put a stop to it and warn guests at check in.

Melanie
06-14-2012, 11:31 AM
It is a shame that Disney doesn't do more to warn against these things. We stayed at a Marriott property a few weeks ago (Harbour Lake) and there were special signs within the condo itself warning against these pizza flyers.

Tigerinvestigator
06-14-2012, 11:32 AM
I've been in law enforcement for almost twenty years now and nothing surpises me anymore. I guess maybe I am missing something here but in my entire life I have never been asked for a credit card number while ordering pizza. We order pizza while staying at hotels all the time and always pay cash. They will usually ask for a phone number but never had any ask me for a credit card. Would think that would be the dead giveaway when they asked for your credit card number.:confused:

ChipNDale79
06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I've been in law enforcement for almost twenty years now and nothing surpises me anymore. I guess maybe I am missing something here but in my entire life I have never been asked for a credit card number while ordering pizza. We order pizza while staying at hotels all the time and always pay cash. They will usually ask for a phone number but never had any ask me for a credit card. Would think that would be the dead giveaway when they asked for your credit card number.:confused:

Call Papa Johns or Pizza Hut, they will ask for your CC number if you wish to pay that way.

Tigerinvestigator
06-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Call Papa Johns or Pizza Hut, they will ask for your CC number if you wish to pay that way.

I didn't make myself very clear in my first post. I understand that if you want to pay with a credit card you would give it over the phone although I wouldn't do that. The way I understood this scam is that they require a credit card to deliver your pizza. I've never had any ask for my credit card to deliver the pizza and we always pay cash. Just think a little common street smart would squash this scam. Pay cash and refuse to give anyone your cc number.

Polynesian Dweller
06-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Being in the hotel business it's virtually impossible to stop. They come into a hotel like everyone else does, walk into the common areas carrying a bag and go to the elevator. At Disney hotels they arrive through security on the same busses everyone else uses. You'd have to challenge everyone who comes into the hotel to have any chance of stopping them but few of your guests would put up with that.

And if you put locks on floors or buildings these guys get in anyways because they just wait for some well meaning person to let them in. And that always happens, all they have to do is yell hold the door.

Then, the people delivering the flyers are not the big players, they are just hired by the scam operators. Arrest the little guys and the Scam operator just hires more. Very hard to get the operator.

The hotel is in no way legally part of this. They only way they would be is by being an active participant that receives payment from the scam.

It is a shame that Disney doesn't do more to warn against these things. We stayed at a Marriott property a few weeks ago (Harbour Lake) and there were special signs within the condo itself warning against these pizza flyers.
Every time I've been to the Poly over the last few years they have a full page flyer on the night stand. I don't know if anything would work. In one of our group's hotels we have done like the Marriott but I'd be hard pressed to say that the number of reports to us of scams is significantly different.

Ultimately the scammers are clever and will get around anything you try. The only defence is to always use reputable suppliers from the hotel's own directory or a known chain.

mom2morgan
06-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you so much for posting this - I hadn't heard of it before and I'm enough of a sucker to assume that a flyer at a Disney resort is probably "disney endorsed". I wish they'd post a warning note in the room or in our package of materials when we check in.

Christine
06-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Isn't it a pitiful commentary on today's society that we have to be wary of pizza?! :(

I would like to throw out another option if you're having a night in or lunch at the resort poolside and would like to have a fabulous pizza delivered to you- Flippers. It's a local family chain (owner is a neighbor here in celebration) and it is absolutely wonderful! A little pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for. I'm sure concierge could help you get in touch with them! :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
If I ever saw anyone peeking into my windows or another room I would call the front desk immediately and report it.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
06-28-2012, 12:15 PM
If I ever saw anyone peeking into my windows or another room I would call the front desk immediately and report it.

It was ridiculous. It was a peek like, "Is anyone in there?" It was long enough that i turned my head to see this older teen/ younger adult male with blonde hair and a fanny pack around his waist look into the room and he was able to see me jump off the bed and toward the door to "get em". Little booger did manage to squeeze the flyer in the door before I was able to open it too!! As soon as I opened the door he was around the corner and Carl Lewis'ed it to meet his cronies and then toward the parking lot. I really need to start working out. Next time I will sleep in the bed closest to the exit door. LOL.