PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Munro and Longwood Gardens Light

Katzateer
06-10-2012, 12:38 PM
This weekend is the opening of Light Installations by Bruce Munro at Longwood Gardens in PA.

If you live in the area or plan to be on the east coast before it closes in September it would be worth the admission price to check it out. The closest thing to Avatar you will find on earth.

Thousands of lights on a wooded pathway, 8 foot towers in the meadow, reflecting lights in a small lake and sun-reflecting "lily pads" during the day. The indoor conservatory also has some of the lights but last night someone pulled the fire alarm :thedolls: right when we walked inside and the building had to be evacuated. Since we are members, we will see them another night.

If you go to Longwood there is a lot to see during the day, then several excellent choices for
dining ( be sure to get a bowl of the famous mushroom soup, after all, you are in the mushroom capital of the world -Kennett Square).

Advice - if you are going just for the lights don't arrive before 9 pm. They really don't show up until 9:30 or after ( except the lilies have to be seen in the sunshine). The garden is open until 11pm weekends.

It is an outside in the woods and meadow - don't forget bottled water, bug spray, a small
flashlight and comfortable shoes. A lot of walking- think outdoor night hikes at Scout camp.

Very beautiful! The only thing that I would complain about is the complaining people. Gee people, it is an outside park in the woods. Imagine 5,000 people walking and complaining the entire time-too much walking, too buggy, can't see the lights at 8:30... On and on......:confused::confused: I heard a few people talking about this was worst than going to the gym.

Another very cool thing -when you are in the meadow with the tall light towers each of the towers has new age music piping out of them, the sound rotating around the display. A really comfortable bench in the middle, you can lean back and look at the stars and it s magical ( once the loud people move on).

Very well done Longwood Gardens and Mr. Munro!:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
06-10-2012, 03:13 PM
, you are in the mushroom capital of the world -Kennett Square).

Yes it is! I have a friend who I visit in Avondale and you can smell the mushrooms in the fall even with the windows rolled up!

So, you are saying visiting at night is the best time? It sounds like alot of fun!

Katzateer
06-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Yes it is! I have a friend who I visit in Avondale and you can smell the mushrooms in the fall even with the windows rolled up!

So, you are saying visiting at night is the best time? It sounds like alot of fun!

Stephanie takes dance in Kennett- we have been going there 3 nights a week for the past 3 years. It can get rather.....pungent :sick:....with all that fertilizer they use in those little mushroom "sweat shacks"

And yes, there were a lot of disappointed people before it got dark. They had been there since early afternoon and didn't realize it had to be completely dark to enjoy.

NJGIRL
06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the report! Two more questions...what is the cost and do you think that 15 year old boys would enjoy it?

DisneyDog
06-11-2012, 11:34 AM
So, are you saying that there are lights in the conservatory during the day? Or not? We haven't been there in a few years and I was thinking about taking DS9 there on a Saturday, as my DH has to work a lot of Saturdays. I'm not really good about driving at night (or even being a passenger at night), and I'm an hour away at the least, so I prefer to go during daylight. But, if it's all at night, I may have to risk it rather than miss it.

Katzateer
06-11-2012, 02:40 PM
So, are you saying that there are lights in the conservatory during the day? Or not? We haven't been there in a few years and I was thinking about taking DS9 there on a Saturday, as my DH has to work a lot of Saturdays. I'm not really good about driving at night (or even being a passenger at night), and I'm an hour away at the least, so I prefer to go during daylight. But, if it's all at night, I may have to risk it rather than miss it.

There are lights in the conservatory but they are just hanging they aren't on during the day. They are white and look pretty but are just clear during the day. I didn't get to see them at night yet so I don't know if they have changing colors like the outside ones.

For the light show it is definitely a night- time activity. This is the first time Longwood has been open at night in the areas where the lights are located. Normally it closed before dark or
the areas not near the conservatory are closed off when it gets dark.

Katzateer
06-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the report! Two more questions...what is the cost and do you think that 15 year old boys would enjoy it?

Look on the Longwood website for cost - it was free for us since we are members but you have to get reserved tickets. I don't think it costs extra for the lights but you do have to get a special ticket to be in Longwood after 4. They have limit of 5,000 people per night (according to a security guard I was talking to). I would order your ticket before you go and just pick them up at the counter when you get there. If you drive an hour and then try to get your ticket, it might be sold out for that evening.

And yes, I think 15 year old boys would like it.

NJGIRL
06-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks!

Katzateer
07-22-2012, 12:29 AM
The fireworks and fountain show tonight was amazing!! And we got to walk through the lights again. Beautiful night!

Next fireworks show is august 11th