PDA

View Full Version : Epcot 30th Celebration att WDW

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 11:47 PM
So, October 1 is Epcot's 30th... And with that comes a celebration on that day for the anniversary.. That is, if you want to PAY for it.. That's right folks, the wonderful management team has decided that, if you want to celebrate Epcot's 30th with WDW, then well,, SHELL OUT THE BUCKS!!!!!! Oh, yea... Um, park admission is NOT included in the $ 65 get nothing price tag or the $185 get a little something price tag... Plus, you have to be a D23 member... So, cough up $89 bucks to enter Epcot, $185 bucks to get into presentations that were free 5 years ago, and $75 bucks to join D23...

How many more new lows can be sunk to???

Katzateer
06-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Very disappointing :( doesn't sound like much of a celebration to me

CajunDisneyDad
06-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I am reminded of an old saying that involves getting blood out of a turnip....

DizneyRox
06-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Very disappointing :( doesn't sound like much of a celebration to me
I bet the bean counters had quite the happy hour after coming up with that idea though.

I am reminded of an old saying that involves getting blood out of a turnip....
Sadly, there will be a line signing up to be part of this "exclusive" event. That's what it will be billed as. Exclusive...

PopPhan
06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Well, you know how it goes.....

Unless and until people keep their wallets/credit cards in their pockets and say 'enough is enough,' don't expect anything to change.

I, personally, refuse to pay the price for D23, as it gets you what? 3 - 4 magazines a year and invites to 'events' that you still have to pay more for? Thank you....NO SALE

This is the same thinking I use for NOT buying into DVC -- a glorified timeshare deal, where you pay up front, yearly, AND upon use. Sure you get 'discounts' on some things, but you are still spending for each trip -- food (OOP or DDP,) park tickets (MYW or AP,) parties, etc.....

Robert A. Heinlein had it right --- TANSTAAFL [There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - for the uninitiated] --- especially with Disney!

Lizzy
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM
:shake:

That's all I really have to say about that

Wolf
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
What does that actually mean? Does it mean the park will be closed otherwise that day?

DizneyFreak2002
06-08-2012, 11:08 AM
What does that actually mean? Does it mean the park will be closed otherwise that day?

No.. Park will be open... But if you want to participant in any of the events, you not only have to buy a D23 membership and a park ticket, but you also have to pay Disney to attend the events that were FREE for the 25th...

This is pure greed... And typical of Disney today... Pathetic, disgusting, and just when you thought they couldn't get any worse, they pull this...

dnickels
06-08-2012, 11:11 AM

From reading the descriptions no, the park will be open as usual. However there will be a number of 'special' events going on throughout the park that day and those are the things you would have to pay to attend. If some of the PPs comments are correct, Disney had these sort of special events (speakers / presentations / etc.) on previous anniversary celebrations that were free to attend.

It's like PopPhan mentions, we can complain all we want, but every time one of us says we're done with Disney and 24 hours later we turn around and say "Well I didn't really mean that...." they'll keep charging. The only message that gets through to Disney is when people vote with their feet and wallets.

CajunDisneyDad
06-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Again I am reminded of a saying by...correct me if I am wrong...by P.T. Barnum (sp). "There is a sucker born everyday..." Well as you can see from my sig I have been to disney many times in the last few years...but this all day sucker is getting to that soggy white stick. Our last trip was anything but magical, and again as stated complaining to Disney doesnt work if I turn around and rebook... It was mention that they keep raising prices but the parks are still packed... I beg to differ. WHen was the last time you saw Disney offering room specials in the middle of summer?. If they are packing them in, why do they constantly run free dining and/or room discounts (which usually ends up being what the room cost the prior year.)
as it was mention, the only way they will change is for us to stop giving them our hard earned change... it used to be a fair trade off...now I am not so sure....

Just my 2 cents worth. I will stop before one of the holier than thou yuckidy yuks closes the tread or bans me :P. Its funny Disney can shamelessly nickle and dime everything...but the minute you suggest something that slighly doesnt work out in the favor of the mouse house...

ginger19
06-08-2012, 11:53 AM
We were there for the 25th and most events were held out in the open. There was a huge stage set up behind the fountain for some guest speakers and a special acknowledgement at the fireworks as well. We didn't attend most events as the kids were 2 and 4 (wow, hard to believe) but I know there were a few things open to anyone there. We were also given pins when we entered the park.

Wolf
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Maybe I'm just a loser but I'd rather them being seperated. I don't want abunch of media and suits in there blocking my pictures and adding to the crowds for my trip. I am probably one of those "holier than thou yuckidy yuks" you're talking about because I don't think working for a fansite for WDW you should call the company "Pathetic or disgusting" but I guess its different for me, I look at things in happy lights and try to avoid negativity. If you don't like how things are, why go? Noone is holding a gun to your head telling you to book another trip. Go somewhere else and let the parks be happier for me and mine if you hate it so much. Just my thoughts on it, not trying to start a big riff but its getting so negative around here lately that its not any kind of happy experience to come here for Disney info anymore.

DizneyRox
06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
... just when you thought they couldn't get any worse ...
I never thought that... Quite the contrary, it will; just wait...

dizneydeb22
06-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Maybe I'm just a loser but I'd rather them being seperated. I don't want abunch of media and suits in there blocking my pictures and adding to the crowds for my trip. I am probably one of those "holier than thou yuckidy yuks" you're talking about because I don't think working for a fansite for WDW you should call the company "Pathetic or disgusting" but I guess its different for me, I look at things in happy lights and try to avoid negativity. If you don't like how things are, why go? Noone is holding a gun to your head telling you to book another trip. Go somewhere else and let the parks be happier for me and mine if you hate it so much. Just my thoughts on it, not trying to start a big riff but its getting so negative around here lately that its not any kind of happy experience to come here for Disney info anymore.

I agree with you 100%!!

DizneyFreak2002
06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Again I am reminded of a saying by...correct me if I am wrong...by P.T. Barnum (sp). "There is a sucker born everyday..." Well as you can see from my sig I have been to disney many times in the last few years...but this all day sucker is getting to that soggy white stick. Our last trip was anything but magical, and again as stated complaining to Disney doesnt work if I turn around and rebook... It was mention that they keep raising prices but the parks are still packed... I beg to differ. WHen was the last time you saw Disney offering room specials in the middle of summer?. If they are packing them in, why do they constantly run free dining and/or room discounts (which usually ends up being what the room cost the prior year.)
as it was mention, the only way they will change is for us to stop giving them our hard earned change... it used to be a fair trade off...now I am not so sure....

Just my 2 cents worth. I will stop before one of the holier than thou yuckidy yuks closes the tread or bans me :P. Its funny Disney can shamelessly nickle and dime everything...but the minute you suggest something that slighly doesnt work out in the favor of the mouse house...

There is a sucker born every minute, and Disney fans are some of the biggest...

As for your last comment, I wouldn't lump this site into the same categories as others... John allows us to post the negative truth about WDW... I haven't had a mod remove any of my truthful posts about the pathetic managers who run the place into the ground... I try my best to leave manager names out of it, but even when I do mention a name, it is never deleted, not have I received any warnings...

You may be confusing this site with Lou Mongello or Ricky Brigante... or Tom Corliss... or, well, take your pick... Join their sites, post one negative thing about WDW and not only do their cult like following run you off, but you wind up banned... Why?? Because they cannot bite the hand that feeds them: Free trips, free cruises, free swag, free access to Imagineers, free access to C list stars and some A listers who are forced to do appearances for Disney...

There is a reason I post here more than anywhere else... Because the people who run this site are very tolerant and respectful of our views and they allow us to post them, whether they agree or not...

DizneyFreak2002
06-08-2012, 03:04 PM

Well, from what I understand, and maybe I'm wrong, but it appears that at least some of the events will be indoors... Better crowd control that way no one can attend for free.. Way to keep out the riff raff. I mean non-paying guests...

As for your other comments, let me make sure I understand something... We aren't allowed to be critical, or post critical opinions (though most of the posts are true) about WDW or the Disney Company??? So, I guess you are one fo those who don't care that Disney is shall of what it used to be.. I guess you don't care that TDO is so cheap that the parks are falling apart, LITERALLY, right on top of guests... I guess you don't care that the goal is not to appeal to the lowest common denominator and not reach for the skies like they used to???

No one is saying you can't go and enjoy Walmart Disney Word.... But, the truth about things have to be told... I can't help that the truth hurts people... But the way things are being run is pathetic and disgusting... Don't like the comments, there here is an idea for ya... Don't read them :)

Let me also add that if Disney gave us anything to be positive about, attitudes and feelings may be different... But, well, they don't...

DizneyFreak2002
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I never thought that... Quite the contrary, it will; just wait...

Yea, next they will charge you for using the bathroom... Wait, what was that sound??? ohh a bean counter's head exploded because they didn't think of that first...

2013: The Year of Mo Money..... Come join us as we celebrate taking more money out of your pockets while offering you less and less for your dollar... :)

Meg just called me.. she LOVES the idea...

CajunDisneyDad
06-08-2012, 05:57 PM
My apologies. I guess I am a little miffed that my last trip wasnt what I thought it should be... and I just feel like I got ripped off. Maybe my next trip will be better... but DW and I will have to have a long talk about renewing our AP's. And to you holier than thou yuckity yucks, please accept my apology :D

DizneyFreak2002
06-08-2012, 06:05 PM
My apologies. I guess I am a little miffed that my last trip wasnt what I thought it should be... and I just feel like I got ripped off. Maybe my next trip will be better... but DW and I will have to have a long talk about renewing our AP's. And to you holier than thou yuckity yucks, please accept my apology :D

LOL... feel ripped off all you want... WDW is now in the business of ripping off guests... If I were to give proof, more heads would explode... Cause then they too would realize they were ripped off by WDW, and they can't have that cause Disney would never rip off their guests... They care too much about guest experience and not their bottom line (or their own pockets, expensive cars, huge homes, bonuses more than an American worker takes home in a year)...

MizMissy
06-08-2012, 06:07 PM

You need to post a trip report. I like hearing the good, better, best and even the bad and the ugly. And, you may feel better venting.

And, back on topic .... with all the "celebrating" everything that Disney has been doing for the last 5 (?) + years (I mean, how many years did the "year" of a million dreams last?), I cannot believe they are essentially sweeping a big anniversary under the rug. :confused:

Main Street Jim
06-08-2012, 08:45 PM
EPCOT's 25th five years ago was basically thrown together in about two months after "fans" complained" that the park milestone wasn't being celebrated at all by Disney itself. They hastily got Marty Sklar to make an appearance; threw together the "EPCOT Through the Years" display thing in Innoventions West; and threw together a film about Imagineering and how EPCOT came to be. :-\ It was kinda...sad, actually. I'm thinking this "30th Anniversary" thing will be in the old Millennium Village show building between Canada and UK in World Showcase.

*Sigh*....like has been said, Disney will keep on gettin' the $$$ out of guests as long as they keep paying for it. Personally...I don't like the idea of having to pay "extra" for a park's anniversary celebration. Someone asked how long the "Year of a Million Dreams" lasted...that one was actually two years (2008/9). Then came "Celebrate You"; and now it's "Let the Memories Begin". Seems like *every year* has to have some sort of "celebration" and that didn't really even start until after the Millennium Celebration in '99/'00.

Ian
06-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Well this is a new low! :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
This celebration is actually being held on Sept 30, not Oct 1 and is being organized by D23 for it's members.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-daily-disney/os-disney-epcot-30th-d23-20120607,0,6794962.story

Crow
06-09-2012, 07:25 PM
so much for me thinking i might try to get back for the anniversary. i bought an AP to get rm discount since i was supposed to g w my gf. next yr she was talking about going and maybe a wedding or something there.
I was looking at D23, but other than the magaxines i didnt see much for me, since the special events are to far away for me to attend.
How many times has everyone gone. have you ever said you wouldnt go back but did.
i didnt renew my AP yrs ago because of the price increases..and i got one again. but i wont renew, as they seem to be punishing us.
so, why dont we write someone, or make a list of who will never go back....
I think it may be time to go to other places for a vacation.
but i have an AP to use still thru next May so i guess i will b going back.

EpcotChic23
06-12-2012, 02:49 PM
I did the Undiscovered Future World tour last week and I asked the tour guide if there were any plans for the 30th because I was seriously thinking about attending since I missed the 25th. He said he did not know of anything but for WDW 40th he did not find out about events until a week before hand. The other gentelmen in the tour knew about the D23 events so this sounds about right. So I guess no trip for me in October.:(

DizneyFreak2002
06-12-2012, 03:02 PM
I did the Undiscovered Future World tour last week and I asked the tour guide if there were any plans for the 30th because I was seriously thinking about attending since I missed the 25th. He said he did not know of anything but for WDW 40th he did not find out about events until a week before hand. The other gentelmen in the tour knew about the D23 events so this sounds about right. So I guess no trip for me in October.:(

As of now, and I will stress as of now, there doesn't appear to be ANY plans for WDW to celebrate the 30th with REGULAR fan... Just the pay only events, which is LOW.. Very LOW.. Almost as low as DLR charging AP holders money for the right to be the first to test out Radiator Springs Racers when AP events like that USED TO be free..

More and more this WDC is sinking to new lows...

Wolf
06-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Well I'm excited to celebrate at Epcot my own way, drinking around the world, Soarin and Malestrom! I don't need a fancy party to love WDW <3

Crow
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Well I'm excited to celebrate at Epcot my own way, drinking around the world, Soarin and Malestrom! I don't need a fancy party to love WDW <3

yea true.still who has helped them make Epcot to 30.

Wolf
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
yea true.still who has helped them make Epcot to 30.

If it was a WDW event I might find it offensive but its by D23 and thats seperate. Yall act like Disney is just being jerks and not letting in the normal people or something, either get the magazine and go or don't, Epcot will opperate just as usual that day its not like they aren't letting people in.

Aurora
06-13-2012, 10:24 AM
If it was a WDW event I might find it offensive but its by D23 and thats seperate. Yall act like Disney is just being jerks and not letting in the normal people or something, either get the magazine and go or don't, Epcot will opperate just as usual that day its not like they aren't letting people in.

It's the same company, and the reason people are upset is that it falls under the "used to be free but now they're charging" category. Just like taking areas that used to be open to everyone to watch the nighttime fireworks shows, roping them off and calling them VIP areas or dessert parties so you can charge people to be in that space.

I can see both sides here, though. It seems the company has moved away from anniversary celebrations in favor of other broad promotional themes that encompass all four parks. The D23 division is claiming the more nostalgic commemorations for its hard-core fan members.

Gator
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Let me also add that if Disney gave us anything to be positive about, attitudes and feelings may be different... But, well, they don't...

Something positive? It's still standing, isn't it? I go there because it makes me feel good, it's fun for the whole family, and it's a magical getaway.

Good things: Fantasmic! is nightly again, Test Track is getting a cool makeover, the new FantasyLand looks awesome, StarTours is fresh again(and again and again), KilaSafaris is bringing back the Zebra's, and Epcot is still the best place in the world.

You want me to kick and scream about fastpass changes? You got it. But to throw a fit over Disney charging $$ for the 30th anniversary of Epcot is a waste of breath. 25 was a big deal. 40 will be a big deal. 30? Whatever. They'll make a publicity stunt out of it, as all good marketers would do, but it's not like we'll be missing anything special. That is unless you like being around uppity people eating uppity food. I don't, so I won't miss it.

Gator
06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
If you don't like how things are, why go? Noone is holding a gun to your head telling you to book another trip. Go somewhere else and let the parks be happier for me and mine if you hate it so much. Just my thoughts on it, not trying to start a big riff but its getting so negative around here lately that its not any kind of happy experience to come here for Disney info anymore.

That's what I'm thinking. If Universal is really pulling out all the stops, then start spending money there. I skipped the last winter of going to WDW and went to Hawaii instead. That's "Disney's money" going somewhere else. If they start implementing all of these new fastpass designs and other stuff that take away from the Magic, we'll be headed to other vacation spots more frequently and WDW less. But that's a big IF. I really like what WDW has been doing for the last 10 years, and I'll keep going if they keep improving.

Wolf
06-14-2012, 09:18 AM
That's what I'm thinking. If Universal is really pulling out all the stops, then start spending money there. I skipped the last winter of going to WDW and went to Hawaii instead. That's "Disney's money" going somewhere else. If they start implementing all of these new fastpass designs and other stuff that take away from the Magic, we'll be headed to other vacation spots more frequently and WDW less. But that's a big IF. I really like what WDW has been doing for the last 10 years, and I'll keep going if they keep improving.

I 100% agree, if I hated everything about WDW like some posters seem to I def wouldn't give them my money, I work far too hard for it. I love everything about WDW so I have zero issue giving them every dime I have to make that happiness occur for me and mine, but they have certainly never took money I didn't offer to them. I got to a point to where I didn't like Pop Century anymore, after 6 stays there it didn't have the same magic, I didn't go nuts and fuss about it to everyone, I paid more the next time and stayed somewhere different. If I didn't like WDW anymore I'd go somewhere else, but I do, and to me WDW shouldn't have to coddle me for there aniversary, I'm hopeful they will have 30th aniversary tshirts but I'm not cutting up my disney visa if they don't, I'll still be there, I'll still be the happiest version of myself, ever, while I'm there. Because there is nothing better to me.

mdricks
06-15-2012, 08:11 AM
25 was a big deal. 40 will be a big deal. 30? Whatever. They'll make a publicity stunt out of it, as all good marketers would do, but it's not like we'll be missing anything special. That is unless you like being around uppity people eating uppity food. I don't, so I won't miss it.

I agree!! To follow up on a PP this is more like PT Barnums "Grand Egress!!"

:number1:

Ian
06-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Once I realized this was a D23 event, I agree ... no biggie.

shadowden
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Noone is holding a gun to your head telling you to book another trip. Go somewhere else and let the parks be happier for me and mine if you hate it so much.

Agreed! If you're going to spend the money anyway, what good does complaining do. Just chill and enjoy...

Just my thoughts on it, not trying to start a big riff but its getting so negative around here lately that its not any kind of happy experience to come here for Disney info anymore.

Seems to be a bit touchy around here, lately. I sense a lot of pent up anger...

Crow
06-15-2012, 12:39 PM
actually watching the news on tv is mostly neg. but it cant all b:cloud9:here all the time. i guess that would get boring too. I would like some free stuff for the anniversary:beer::marg:
too bad WDW is a business, being in retail mgmt so many yrs, i know how it works..even though businesses say the care about the people, it all comes down to $. get the people in by promising a low price, then get them to buy higher margin items. and labor is more controllable then some things so thats an area that gets cut, hours. although i did see some wasted hrs on my trip..
So i guess it comes down to me not joining D23, since the only things i could use would b the mags, most of the events being too far for me.
i will b trying to go back before the end of next May since i got an AP for thislast trip, thinking i could use the room discount. didnt need it this time though
im sure we will get to read about the events though from someone who does go.

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2012, 07:47 PM
Good things: Fantasmic! is nightly again, Test Track is getting a cool makeover, the new FantasyLand looks awesome, StarTours is fresh again(and again and again), KilaSafaris is bringing back the Zebra's, and Epcot is still the best place in the world.

Fantasmic is falling apart, even after a so-called refurbishment...

Test Track is only getting done because GM ponied up the money.. If GM pulled sponsorship, Test Track would not be getting made over... Universe of Energy has been stagnant for years since Exxon pulled out... Test Track wouldn't be any different...

Fantasyland was needed because.. you guessed it... TDO mismanaged the park... Sure, it will look nice, and add capacity... Capacity they had but TDO being cheap, decided to shutter buildings and rides with no replacements... And even with New Fantasyland, how many rides are we netting??? None... We get a no better than a C ticket dark ride whose popularity died fast in DCA, a restaurant, that while needed, shouldn't have been needed if TDO didn't close down Veranda and Golden Horseshoe (too cheap to want to keep them open I guess)... And, as for New Fantasyland, this was FORCED onto TDO from the big wigs... TDO didn't even want it... Shocker???

Star Tours is great, love what they did to it... Sadly, this is another TDO blunder... Again, this was forced from above... TDO didn't want the refurb, then when told they had to have it, only wanted a minimal refurb.. They didn't want the version we got... more of a watered down version (save money again)... Thankfully the big wigs in CA didn't let TDO get their way...

And while the new zebra section will be nice and welcome, I wouldn't call that a major change in a park that is calling out for help (though it needs less help than DHS)...

The thing is, people may thing I am being negative... I'm not... I'm only bringing the truth about how terrible the management team in WDW is... I point out the failings in WDW to show how inept TDO is...

DCA just opened one heck of a land... Carsland looks fantastic... RSR looks like one awesome ride... Oh, and several e-tickets and more are getting fast tracked for DL (see, in DL they are worried about the Boy Wizard... In orlando??? As long as they can build more DVC they don't care)... What does WDW have to look forward to in the next year??? Mermaid... A glorified McDonald's play area... A splash area for kids to play in (oh, and read the sign for the rules... I wouldn't let my kid splash around in there)... Belle meet and greet, a princess meet and greet, a new restaurant and another kiddie coaster (well, more for the slightly older Barnstormer crowd not the toddlers Barnstormer is meant for)...

Find me a massive e-ticket for WDW and I'll give you kudos... (Hint: Avatar does not count since the current plans are Soarin Over Pandora, nothing new and exciting about that)...

TracyL
06-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Not sure I quite understand the bitter rant about Test Track and GM. Test Track wouldn't exist *period" without GM. See also every pavilion in Future World without its original sponsor, every country without its sponsoring tourism bureau, and the Enchanted Tiki Room without Dole. Disney didn't do stuff without corporate sponsors/partners in 1955, so why should they be doing it now?

I can appreciate your bitter disappointment -- clearly Disney was once something really magnificently magical for you, and now it's not. But the way you see it sure is different from the way I see it. It's almost like you're going out of your way to look for everything that's wrong. Every flaw, no matter how big or how small, provides further proof that the whole place has gone to the dogs and is beyond hope of redemption. Keep talking like that, and I assure you, you will see what you describe. *shrug* no skin off my nose, but it's not changing anything and it's probably making you feel even worse. No need to sugar-coat, but ask yourself what good it does you or anyone else to be on this level of tirade against Disney. If you have an issue with TDO, why not complain to TDO? Why not invite them to read INTERCOT and find out what their biggest fans are saying about them, both good and bad? Shaking your fist at the sky, or at the discussion boards, surely can't be helping?

As for the 30th, well, I live in Orlando and never knew the 25th was even happening. So they massively blew it on the publicity for that one. My personal theory is that they don't think the average park-goer cares about anniversaries. Realistically, why do you go for an anniversary? Because there's marketing hype that trumps up an excuse for a party? They do that for every little thing. Mickey's birthday. Walt's birthday. Pluto's birthday. The day Snow White got her first mani-pedi. I mean these people will use any excuse to create a "CELEBRATION" if they think you'll show up. And yeah, it's so they make more money! Duh! :)

I don't think the average park-goer *does* care about anniversaries. I think the hard-core fanatic nut jobs like us do. And so it makes all the sense in the world to create a D23 event for an anniversary, because D23 members are your core audience for that kind of cheesy nostalgic garbage. (BTW, I'm a charter member of D23, so I know whereof I speak!) I'm sure IllumiNations will be special that day, and I bet there'll be a few other fine surprises through the day that don't cost anything extra.

Meanwhile, for you, I order an IV of Pixie Dust! STAT! :)

DizneyFreak2002
06-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Not sure I quite understand the bitter rant about Test Track and GM. Test Track wouldn't exist *period" without GM. See also every pavilion in Future World without its original sponsor, every country without its sponsoring tourism bureau, and the Enchanted Tiki Room without Dole. Disney didn't do stuff without corporate sponsors/partners in 1955, so why should they be doing it now?

Because it is trotted out as if DISNEY is doing something... They aren't... GM is... That is the truth... Again, if Disney cared about doing anything, Universe of Energy wouldn't be stuck in the 80's/90's... They don't need sponsors to make sure projects are complete... They have enough money in lining their bottom line...

I can appreciate your bitter disappointment -- clearly Disney was once something really magnificently magical for you, and now it's not. But the way you see it sure is different from the way I see it. It's almost like you're going out of your way to look for everything that's wrong. Every flaw, no matter how big or how small, provides further proof that the whole place has gone to the dogs and is beyond hope of redemption. Keep talking like that, and I assure you, you will see what you describe. *shrug* no skin off my nose, but it's not changing anything and it's probably making you feel even worse. No need to sugar-coat, but ask yourself what good it does you or anyone else to be on this level of tirade against Disney. If you have an issue with TDO, why not complain to TDO? Why not invite them to read INTERCOT and find out what their biggest fans are saying about them, both good and bad? Shaking your fist at the sky, or at the discussion boards, surely can't be helping?

They already read Intercot... Like they read other fan sites... :)

I don't think the average park-goer *does* care about anniversaries. I think the hard-core fanatic nut jobs like us do. And so it makes all the sense in the world to create a D23 event for an anniversary, because D23 members are your core audience for that kind of cheesy nostalgic garbage. (BTW, I'm a charter member of D23, so I know whereof I speak!) I'm sure IllumiNations will be special that day, and I bet there'll be a few other fine surprises through the day that don't cost anything extra.

So a regular guest couldn't join in the festivities if they wanted to??? You are OK with that??? Remember who makes the parks the money.. Crazy nutjob fans (and I do mean that in a good way, not negatively) and REGULAR guests...

Meanwhile, for you, I order an IV of Pixie Dust! STAT! :)

Please, no... That stuff rots the brain and leads to unbalanced thinking and a cloudy mind... My head is so much clearer and I can actually see things for what they truly are since I kicked that addiction.. And life is sooooooo much better :)

TracyL
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Yes, I'm OK with that. And here's why.

Once upon a time, seeing or meeting a Disney character was a rare and exciting event. If you happened to see Mickey out among the crowd, it was a BIG DEAL. And it added an element of magic to the experience of being in the park.

Then the parents started whining and moaning about how they spent a week at Disney and unloaded a mountain of money and little Jimmy didn't get Mickey's autograph so the whole vacation was a waste. And Disney made character meet and greets a thing that everyone who's willing to wait in the line gets to do, every time they go. It's completely contrived, it replaces better stuff (see also "princess meet and greet" replaces Snow White ride), and it removes all sense of magic or wonder from the character meet experience.

It also pulls money away from cooler things. Staffing meet and greets may be cheaper than building the next Expedition Everest, but it's not so cheap that they'll just do both without a thought.

This happened because some vocal park guests pronounced that it was their god-given right to have every available Disney experience every time they went to the park, and that the only way they could possibly get their money's worth from their vacation was to have this entitlement.

I fully expect that if they did a bunch of anniversary stuff on October 1, and made it free to everyone, hundreds of guests who arrived on October 2 would write scathing letters to Guest Relations about how they were ROBBED because something cool happened on October 1 that wasn't available to guests on October 2. Apparently the only way to avoid this entitlement thing is to make certain experiences "exclusive" and charge extra. Yes, it's sad. But there it is.

It is not actually Disney's responsibility to make you happy, even if you pay them your entire annual salary. Ultimately, you get to decide whether you are getting value for your money, and take your business elsewhere if you think you are not. Having been to a lot of places for both business and pleasure, both in and outside the U.S., I still feel that Disney is the best vacation value for my money, even when they don't do it exactly the way I think they should.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes, I'm OK with that. And here's why.

Once upon a time, seeing or meeting a Disney character was a rare and exciting event. If you happened to see Mickey out among the crowd, it was a BIG DEAL. And it added an element of magic to the experience of being in the park.

Then the parents started whining and moaning about how they spent a week at Disney and unloaded a mountain of money and little Jimmy didn't get Mickey's autograph so the whole vacation was a waste. And Disney made character meet and greets a thing that everyone who's willing to wait in the line gets to do, every time they go. It's completely contrived, it replaces better stuff (see also "princess meet and greet" replaces Snow White ride), and it removes all sense of magic or wonder from the character meet experience.

It also pulls money away from cooler things. Staffing meet and greets may be cheaper than building the next Expedition Everest, but it's not so cheap that they'll just do both without a thought.

This happened because some vocal park guests pronounced that it was their god-given right to have every available Disney experience every time they went to the park, and that the only way they could possibly get their money's worth from their vacation was to have this entitlement.

Actually, it was done because guests are selfish idiots who mobbed the characters and created an unsafe environment for CMs... Now we have a controlled environment where CMs are more safe... And I say more safe because kids will always be kids and do kid things, and adults are just stupid in general and would do kid things...

As for meet and greets, I'm against them completely... It is more "magical" to see the characters roaming the park, not being escorted by body guards making sure dopes don't rush the character... I've haven't been to DL, but my understanding is, characters roam the parks freely... Ever wonder why in DL they can do this and in WDW they can't??? Quality of the guest goes a long way into those decisions...

I fully expect that if they did a bunch of anniversary stuff on October 1, and made it free to everyone, hundreds of guests who arrived on October 2 would write scathing letters to Guest Relations about how they were ROBBED because something cool happened on October 1 that wasn't available to guests on October 2. Apparently the only way to avoid this entitlement thing is to make certain experiences "exclusive" and charge extra. Yes, it's sad. But there it is.

You know what??? Too bad if you go the day AFTER the anniversary and expect them to celebrate it... Research, know the events taking place the week you are there, and plan accordingly... You know the anniversary is October 1.. You see Disney is celebrating it October 1... Then be there October 1 if it means so much to you... I wanted to be there for MK's 40th... And I was... I would never expect them to celebrate the 40th anniversary the day AFTER the 40th...

It is not actually Disney's responsibility to make you happy, even if you pay them your entire annual salary. Ultimately, you get to decide whether you are getting value for your money, and take your business elsewhere if you think you are not. Having been to a lot of places for both business and pleasure, both in and outside the U.S., I still feel that Disney is the best vacation value for my money, even when they don't do it exactly the way I think they should.

Disney is offering a service, a service in Orlando that has been in decline (maybe not in attendance, though that can be debated), but in quality... When rides are breaking down on a daily basis (some rides multiple times a day), when AA's go months without being fixed, when bad show has become the norm, that is a reduction in quality... I'm not making those things up... They are apparent to anyone, even first times who don't know what to look for...

So, what does WDW have to look forward to in the next 5 years??? More DVC, land reclamation in Fantasyland (again, no net gains of rides or restaurants), and??? (crickets)....

TracyL
06-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Having *just* been to DLR about a month ago, I didn't see characters freely roaming the parks. Far from it. I see more of that at WDW, particularly with face characters. There's a little bit of "street party" style parade stuff that happens at DL, but for the most part the park is way too small and way too crowded to allow for much mingling of characters. And I certainly wouldn't characterize the "quality of the guest" as any great shakes in DL. Talk about entitlement -- holy moly. Every other guest is a pass holder, and they complain about everything constantly.

And I guess I'm just blind or stupid or something, because I don't see all these broken, deteriorated and derelict attractions you are talking about. I see attractions going down for long refurbs, like Test Track and Thunder Mountain, but I can't say as I've noticed a lot of signs of decay. The new train station in Fantasyland is beautiful, as is the refurbed Dumbo. The queuing area for Barnstormer is cute, and the stuff they did with the pavement leading away from the train station has fun details. I haven't ridden TMRR since it reopened, but expect to do so this week, in fact.

Back before Michael Eisner's reign of error finally ended, I would have agreed with you about the deterioration. I saw immediate signs of turnaround literally within days of Iger taking over, and I still see them now.

Still, as I said before, your mileage may vary. I am grateful for my blind ignorance which allows me to enjoy the WDW experience despite the fact that it has, by your reports, become uninhabitably terrible. ;)

Jared
06-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I've haven't been to DL, but my understanding is, characters roam the parks freely... Ever wonder why in DL they can do this and in WDW they can't??? Quality of the guest goes a long way into those decisions...
This isn't true. Not anymore, at least. Disneyland is clearly a better experience than Walt Disney World in virtually every way. But even in Anaheim, the characters have handlers.

Frankly, it really doesn't bother me. If my my kid wants to meet Goofy or Aladdin or Belle, I'd rather know where he or she will be and wait in the line. That sounds a heck of a lot easier than randomly walking around the park and hoping that character magically appears.

[QUOTE=TracyL;2274935]Back before Michael Eisner's reign of error finally ended, I would have agreed with you about the deterioration. I saw immediate signs of turnaround literally within days of Iger taking over, and I still see them now.

Still, as I said before, your mileage may vary. I am grateful for my blind ignorance which allows me to enjoy the WDW experience despite the fact that it has, by your reports, become uninhabitably terrible. ;)
Can't say I understand this bit at all. The last couple years notwithstanding, Eisner did wonderful things for the company and genuinely cared about the parks. There has been a lot of revisionist history lately by Disney fans who want to believe that things in Florida have improved, when they have only gotten worse and worse.

Fortunately, Iger is not long for this "World." Chances are, Messrs. Rasulo and Staggs aren't either.

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 03:56 PM
People want to bash Eisner but then praise WDW... um, WDW wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for Eisner, and Wells... So, if WDW is so GREAT, then Eisner needs that credit...

But truth is, Eisner started the whole business of skimping off on the parks... He was the one who, while expanding WDW, cut budgets left and right... TDO has only followed suit, and even more so than Eisner... So, if people want to bash Eisner, then then need to bash Iger and TDO for continuing Eisner's cheap ways...

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Fortunately, Iger is not long for this "World." Chances are, Messrs. Rasulo and Staggs aren't either.

Iger can go tomorrow, take Rasulo, Staggs, and Crofton with him.. and I'd celebrate... Oh, can we toss Phil Holmes in there too.. actually, all of TDO can go with him... :)

I was willing to give Staggs the benefit of the doubt... When he announced the change from the princess houses to the mine coaster, I thought the guy knew what he was doing and would be someone who actually listened tot he fans... Then I found out the original plans always included the Mine Coaster, and it was Rasulo who decided on the princess houses instead... So, then I figured, Staggs, is he really someone who gets it??? Maybe not...

Ian
06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
MODERATOR ALERT!

Guys come on ... this is a thread about the Epcot 30th anniversary celebration not Meet the Press. If you want to have all this back and forth debate about the sad/wonderful state of Walt Disney World do it via PM. It's not doing any of the other members any good.

Any more posts like the ones above and I'm going to start editing and deleting. Stick to the topic at hand or take it off the boards.

Sylvia
06-17-2012, 08:08 PM
MODERATOR ALERT!

Guys come on ... this is a thread about the Epcot 30th anniversary celebration not Meet the Press. If you want to have all this back and forth debate about the sad/wonderful state of Walt Disney World do it via PM. It's not doing any of the other members any good.

Any more posts like the ones above and I'm going to start editing and deleting. Stick to the topic at hand or take it off the boards.

Thank you!!

What ever happened to the warm and fuzzy INTERCOT of years ago? I know it's still there since there are many positive posts. But, there seems to be so much more negativity these days.

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Thank you!!

What ever happened to the warm and fuzzy INTERCOT of years ago? I know it's still there since there are many positive posts. But, there seems to be so much more negativity these days.

Sit back, read the "negative" posts and ask yourself why... You'll find the answer.. Trust me..

But, since Ian is right, this is about the 30 celebration of Epcot and not about WDW's decline, I won't go into reasons..

HOWEVER, this thread here:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=2275043#post2275043

may be the best spot to continue these conversations...

So, back to the 30th...

Wolf
06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
MODERATOR ALERT!

I 100% Agree, imagine if someone who had never been to disney world read this, what heartbreak you could give to a child because their parents read that disney is "Going to the dogs" and decided they shouldn't ever "waste" their money on taking their child to meet Mickey. Get over your angst their are hate pages everywhere, leave the few happy ones alone.

Jared
06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I 100% Agree, imagine if someone who had never been to disney world read this, what heartbreak you could give to a child because their parents read that disney is "Going to the dogs" and decided they shouldn't ever "waste" their money on taking their child to meet Mickey.
More than anybody, a child who has never been to Walt Disney World deserves the experience that all of us received during our first visit.

Main Street Jim
06-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Michael Eisner's reign of error LOLOLOLOLOL....she said "reign of 'error'".....hehehheheheheeee