PDA

View Full Version : Last-Minute (no joke!) Birthday Bash Pre-Trip Report

tinksmom02
06-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Sorry it's kind of long.

Last Fri I ran to the Disney Store and grabbed 2 APs in advance of the price hike--to be used for our August trip & perhaps a November one.

My life has been so not fun lately, and the stress is coming at me from every single direction, and Saturday I just kind of hit a breaking point. Contacted Terrisue to ask about rates for this weekend coming up. Not too bad, but I still hesitated. (BTW, Terrisue is the most awesome person in the entire universe.)

Tuesday (my birthday), at Book Expo America, while in line to meet an author, I happened to check my email. Spirit is running a GREAT sale--DD9 & I can get to & from Orlando for $230. TOTAL. Contacted my boss to see if I could have off on Friday, and hemmed and hawed a little more.

Yesterday morning in the car--I wasn't driving!--on the NJ Turnpike on the way back to BEA, I pulled the trigger. That's right, on Wednesday I booked a Disney vacation with an arrival date of Friday.

So, DD9 & I are leaving ACY tomorrow evening at 5:30, arriving at MCO at 7:30. Staying POP standard. Coming home Monday night, late. DD9 will be missing a day of school and won't have a full night's sleep, but it's half days now so she's not missing much.

I have ZERO ADRs planned. I have NO idea of park hours. I figure we'll just get on the first bus we see and go from there. When I checked online, there appears to be a lot of availability at most restaurants, so I figure we would have some luck with day-of or next day ressies, if that's what we want.

The only thing I would like some input on is: do you think it would be worth it to drop our stuff off at POP tomorrow night and head over to a park, or to DTD, to activate our APs and purchase TIW? If yes, where would you recommend we go? If we did that, we'd be all set for wherever we decide to go on Saturday.

For someone who plans months and months in advance, I'm super excited about having a spontaneous trip like this--I have never done anything like this before. Forget about the fact that all of my friends & family are going to be super-angry with me when they find out (I might not even tell them I'm going :secret:), but I really was at that point where it was either a long weekend in Disney, or a stay in a room with padded walls.

OMG and I haven't even told DD yet! I think I'm going to tell her that I finally figured out what I want for my birthday--a pineapple float--and see if she figures it out!

Thanks for reading, I knew you guys would share my excitement!

Mickey'sGirl
06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
AWESOME!! :clappy: I hope you have a fabulous time .... It seems like the planets aligned for you! :mickey: Happy Birthday! :party:

MizMissy
06-07-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm reminded of a quote from a movie from my youth, Risky Business ("sometimes you just have to say ..." but I won't finish it because this is a family friendly site) ....

YAY!! You clearly need some time in the Happiest Place on Earth and I know your daughter will be happy too. Enjoy yourself. And, if I were you, I would pick whatever park is open the latest or DTD if no park is open to pick up your tickets and begin your vacation immediately!

tinksmom02
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks!! It looks like MK has EMH tomorrow night, so maybe we'll just head over there (I'm so excited to be going to WDW during a time when the EMH at MK means it'll be open until 2am LOL)!

Ack! did that count as planning???:blush:

DisneyorBust
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
This trip will be just the thing to relieve the stress of life life and more importantly, being able to spend such quality time with your daughter!
Have a fantastic time! I love the idea of such a spontaneous trip!

DisneyorBust
06-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Oh and by the way......
Happy Birthday!

stephicakes
06-07-2012, 10:22 AM
THAT... IS... SO... COOL!!! How fun for you! Sometimes you just need to blow off some steam and do something out of the ordinary :thumbsup: You guys will have a BLAST!!

Have a very MAGICAL vaca!!

VWL Mom
06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a great stress reducer! Enjoy your belated birthday getaway.

disneymom15
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
WOW, that sounds like so much fun. Your daughter is going to be so surprised. Happy birthday and have a great time.

DisneyDINK
06-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Sounds like a blast!

Yeah, the EMH on Friday night (Saturday Morning, really) at MK sounds like a good way to go.

I hope you post a trip report. Are you using ME? I'm wondering how long it will take from touchdown to picking up your AP on a Friday night.

Have fun! :mickey:

mydisneygirls
06-07-2012, 11:00 AM
So excited for you....have a GREAT time! :party:

tinksmom02
06-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks, everyone!! I just finished packing LOL I will try to post a trip report when we return (or hey, maybe while we're there, seeing as how there's free wifi and I just recently joined the iPhone world!), but if nothing else I will definitely track the times from when we land to check in, and from check in to AP activation. :mickey:

January-2007
06-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Have a wonderful time!

MizMissy
06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks!! It looks like MK has EMH tomorrow night, so maybe we'll just head over there (I'm so excited to be going to WDW during a time when the EMH at MK means it'll be open until 2am LOL)!

Ack! did that count as planning???:blush:

Well, since you want a Dole Whip Float for your belated birthday present, I think MK EMH is the absolute best way to start your trip!!!

faline
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
What a terrific birthday present to yourself!!

wildernesslady
06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Wow, what a great surprise trip. Have a great weekend.

tinksmom02
06-08-2012, 12:06 PM
About two hours until I reveal the surprise!

BklynChick
06-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Hey, we have the same birthday! :party:

Hope you have a great trip, wish I could be there celebrating!

tinksmom02
06-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Hey, we have the same birthday! :party:

Hope you have a great trip, wish I could be there celebrating!

Happy belated birthday!!

cer
06-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Wow. So happy for you. I know about being at the breaking point. DH and I are starting to feel it here, too.

Have a great trip!

emerzmom
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Happy Birthday. Looking forward to hearing how it all went.
:mickey:
Julie

Joannelet
06-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Happy belated birthday neighbor! (live right by you) what a great idea to get on out of here! I would to! ;) can't wait to read the rest!

WDWFRK
06-20-2012, 06:00 PM
So cool!:mickey: