PDA

View Full Version : We're NOT Going to Kansas... We're Going to Disney World!

Mammabruski
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
The day has come. Yes, after over a year of planning, the surprise is almost here! I am currently doing the single digit dance.:cloud9: It is now time to discuss the details, including the cast, the surprise, the locations, and the ADRs.

So in the March of 2011, my wonderful parents took my family, my sister’s family and my little sister to the world for an amazing grand gathering. We stayed in a “rented” OKW grand villa for one week during spring break. My parents being the awesome people that they are decided to buy DVC at OKW and the BC after that fantastic trip and have promised to take the family again in 2014. Well, being the good Disney obsessed daughter/wife/mother that I am I couldn’t wait that long, and so this trip was born. We will also be celebrating my mother’s 61st birthday, my completion of graduate classes and life in general.

On board for this trip are:

ME: Duffy Lover OR mammabruski
DD1: My five year old almost kindergarten daughter
DD2: My two year old almost preschooler (to be three in August)
DM: Pirate Granny (My wonderful Mom, also known as Buszia – polish for grandma- who lives way too far away)
DF: My funny Dad, known as Papa to my girls
DS: My sarcastic and darling sister, who the girls adore

My DH is not Disney enamored like me, yet tolerates my obsession and is more than happy to let me frequent Disney message boards every night. He will not be joining us on the trip , but what can you do? He will be with us for our whole family vacation in 2014, though…

I have read so much about surprise trips, and I was so excited to be able to surprise my girls for this trip. I have been telling them that we were going to Kansas to meet Papa for his work conference, since my DM and DS were joining them. I wanted to tell them we were going some place, since I knew I would be packing around them, but I didn’t want to tell them we were going to MI. Our whole family lives in MI, including their other aunts, grandparents and cousins are and I didn’t want to have them sad that they weren’t seeing them. Anyways, we always drive to Denver the night before a flight and I plan to surprise them at the hotel the morning of the flight. I’m not quite sure what to say to let them know, so if you have any ideas, I would welcome them. I do have quite a few Disney songs in mind for playing in the background while I tell them and I have new matching Minnie Dresses for them. I also have a bunch of Disney books, art activities, a Prince Charming and Snow White Barbie set, and a new game for their leappads to make the flight more fun.

As for the locations, our first night will be at the… BAY LAKE TOWERS! Theme Park view – I have been scoping out room numbers and requested a high floor with a room ending in 16 or 22 with the hopes of getting a GREAT view. The rest of our trip will be at OKW in the Hospitality House region. Love both, but I am super excited for watching Wishes in our room in our PJs. In both cases we have a dedicated two bedroom which is amazing. After staying in that Grand Villa last year, DVC has seriously spoiled me!

As for our plans, we are not doing the dining plan this go round, except for our short stay at BLT where we will be doing the deluxe dining plan. So this means beyond our four ADR’s we will not be tied down to a specific park. We have a general idea of what we would like to do based on various site’s recommendations but it is going to be great to have some flexibility. With two little girls we do plan on taking afternoon breaks for naps and swimming.

In terms of ADR’s we have Chef Mickey’s on our arrival evening and CRT for the next night. After that we don’t do another table service until a few days later when we try to see Illuminations at La Hacienda, and then we finish up with a lunch ADR at Les Chef de France and some Wishes Dessert Buffet action. I’m pretty excited about not being tied down to dining reservations…
So there you have it… a trip over a year in the making. I can’t wait to surprise my girls and I am so excited for this trip, even more than I was for the end of the school year. I’m very excited to share my trip with all of you….

buzznwoodysmom
06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
How exciting for you!!!

I have surprised my boys several times and it never gets old. The first time I surprised them they were getting ready to turn 4 and 2, and honestly they were too young to really surprise. They didn't really understand what was going on. My almost 4 year old had somewhat of a clue, but the almost 2 year old didn't get it at all, which I knew he wouldn't. Your older daughter should be thrilled, but don't be surprised if your younger one doesn't react the way you expect.

A few years later we surprised them on the way home from Vero Beach. They were 8 and 6 at that time and that surprise was really fun. They were both old enough to understand and knew Disney well enough to "miss" it, and be excited to be going back.

I am sure you'll have a fantastic trip, and I hope your girls are super excited when they find out.

Mammabruski
06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Your older daughter should be thrilled, but don't be surprised if your younger one doesn't react the way you expect.

So true, so true... But I've been doing a lot of product placement lately! :D We have been watching a lot of videos and looking at pictures of our last trip, under the guise that Mommy misses Disney... We also have been listening to lots of Disney Music, and watching Disney specials on TV. My littlest has also been pouring over our souvenir books we bought on our last trip that I just happened to lay out.... Geez, it sounds like I'm brain washing them!

I know my little one might not "get" it, but that's ok... I'll get to see so much joy and happiness on their faces when we get to WDW, the surprise won't matter anymore!

minnie04
06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
AWESOME !!! :mickey: I can feel the excitement in your words... I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. I have watched some of the video's on you tube of people surprising their children and yes the little ones sometimes don’t have a clue, but it’s cute how they eventually get it that they are going ... too cute

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Geez, it sounds like I'm brain washing them!

I know my little one might not "get" it, but that's ok... I'll get to see so much joy and happiness on their faces when we get to WDW, the surprise won't matter anymore!

Not brain washing at all. Your doing what every Disney loving mom does! LOL.

I was getting ready to add that even if the girls don't get it, it will be a wonderful memory for you! Our first trip with the kids was when they were 2 years old and 9 months old. My oldest has some very vague memories of that trip, and obviously my 9 month old remembers nothing, but it's still to this day one of my favorite trips as a mom. It was just so exciting and magical to take them on that very first trip! It doesn't matter one bit that they don't remember, those first memories were for me and DH anyway!!! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

faline
06-07-2012, 12:06 PM
What a wonderful trip you have planned! Such an exciting surprise for your little ones!! Enjoy!! :mickey:

FriendsofMickey
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Sounds so exciting! I am sure you will have a great time!

January-2007
06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm so excited for you! Have a wonderful time.

Pirate Granny
06-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Saturday!!!

emerzmom
06-12-2012, 12:30 PM
How fun! I can't wait to hear all about this trip!
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
:mickey:
Julie

Pirate Granny
06-13-2012, 08:47 PM
THREE more sleeps....:party: :party: :party:

tinksmom02
06-13-2012, 09:04 PM
So exciting! I've surprised my daughter twice--the first time, we were heading to WDW with friends, so the night before we left we presented the kids (5 at the time) with their backpacks, filled with kid guidebooks, disney dollars, shirts, etc. When they opened them, we told them we were heading to WDW the next day. The reaction was less than we had hoped for--our daughter burst into tears and her friend dropped the stuff, announced that he wasn't going, and left the room. :confused: My daughter doesn't like flying (although she does just fine every time), and Ant was worried about the flight.

I also surprised Jenna (now 9) for our trip this past weekend--I had her get stuff out of the printer for me that just happened to be the boarding passes. She was excited this time around, but still not happy about the flying part LOL

So excited for you! Be sure to let us know how you end up telling them. And I hear you about the ADRs--this was our first trip without them, and it was freeing-although I still made some day of ADRs, I just couldn't let ALL the planning go LOL

Mammabruski
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
The reaction was less than we had hoped for--our daughter burst into tears and her friend dropped the stuff, announced that he wasn't going, and left the room.

I guess you never know what you're going to get with surprises!

I wish I could post videos here, because I have a hunch this surprise reaction *might* be epic...

Here's to hoping!

Pirate Granny
06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
WOO HOO... we're all checked into Delta... can't believe only one more SLEEP...

:cloud9:

Mammabruski
07-01-2012, 11:28 PM
We've been home for over a week, and I'm working on my trip report... I needed some time as I'm having some post Disney vacation blues!

Anyways, the surprise went really well, the girls were in shock and I probably should have waited to give them all their new plane surprises AFTER I told them they were going to WDW. After a few minutes the girls were just giddy with excitement!

For now planning our whole family vacation for 2014 is on my mind, as is talking about it with my Mother, whom I miss dearly (love you Pirate Granny)! Oh and I just started my last graduate class before my internship! 33 credits do go quite fast when you're a working Mom...

So stay tuned, day one should be just around the corner!!

gigi
07-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Surprising the kids is as much fun as planning your Disney trip. We have surprised my kids on two different occasions. The first time they were two and four - we woke them up very early on our travel day by telling them we were flying to Disney. My four year old jumped up and down, the two year old went back to sleep :) Next time they were four and six we suprised them by having my whole family meet us at the food court at Port Orleans Riverside. The look on their faces when they saw Grammy and Grandpa and their aunts and uncle was priceless. We are traveling to Disney again in August - last trip before my oldest goes to college. Suprise this trip will be celebrating my son's sixteenth birthday with a cake at either Ohana's or Chef Mickey. Have fun with your surprise!