PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Shores/Orange Beach AL

iheartdisney
06-06-2012, 06:25 PM
We are toying with the idea of a quick,long weekend getaway to the Gulf Shores area. We'd like to stay on the beach but not knowing the area very well we don't know where to stay. Because we'd like to take just a 4 day weekend trip that rules out any condos that require a week-long stay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-06-2012, 08:49 PM
I would actually recommend you look into the Destin/Fort Walton, Florida area instead. The beaches are much nicer and the water much clearer in the Destin area than in the Gulf Shores area.

When we go to Destin we try to stay in the Crystal Beach area. It's out of the way, off the beaten path, and the beaches aren't as crowded as on the main strip. You are still a short car ride from all the action. We usually try to rent from VRBO, vacation rentals by owner.

Ok, I didn't read all your first post and I see that you only want a short trip. VRBO are mostly condos that require a full week rental during summer months. Your best bet may be to look for a chain hotel, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Choice Hotels, Hilton. Most of those will rent for shorter stays. We were supposed to be in Destin for Memoiral Day weekend, but cancelled due to being out of town both the weekend before Memorial weekend and after, too much away from home.... We were booked at the Holiday Inn on the Beach in Destin, Florida. I've never stayed there before, but a friend of mine recommended it. She stayed there last summer with her girls and said there were tons of kids activities going on at the resort, and her girls loved it! It looked like a nice place and the price wasn't too bad. We had a kid suite booked, small room with bunk beds within the room, with a view of the gulf for around $200 a night.

eandrsmom
06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
We always stay in the Phoenix condos when we're in Orange Beach. There are several Phoenix condo complexes directly on the beach. We try to stay on the Orange Beach (east) side of Hwy. 59, the water is nicer the further east you go. Our favorite is the Phoenix V. I know that there are a few property management companies on the web if you google them. We typically don't stay for more than 3 or 4 days, so I know that they will rent them for a 3 night minimum.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Also a nice beach less expensive than Destin in Pensacola Beach. Not sure about the condo rentals but I have heard rave reviews about Holiday Inn Express on the Beach.

iheartdisney
07-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks, everyone! :mickey:

We ended up taking Buzznwoodysmom's advice - sort of. We stuck with the original plan of Orange Beach but checked out Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) and found a condo in the Tidewater complex. We liked the size of the complex (small) and it still had an indoor pool, hot tub, outdoor pool and umbrella/chair rentals down by the beach.

For anyone else checking this out because of an upcoming trip:

We fell into the tourist trap of eating at Hazel's and Jake's Steakhouse.

Hazel's claims to be an island favorite with lots of seafood. We're not big fans of fried seafood and that's the most common choice. The grilled fish was just so-so.

Jake's calls itself a steakhouse but only had ribeye and top sirloin for us to choose from. The rest of the menu: burgers, chicken, crab legs (they were overcooked), bbq and seafood.

We finally asked a local for a suggestion and found Cosmo's. Off the beaten path but so worth the money. Best meal we had all trip. Go early. Parking is limited and there was a long wait by 6pm.

Thanks again for the help! Hope this helps others!

NJGIRL
07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
I had never even heard of a beach in AL until a couple of years ago some friends went on vacation there. They loved it and said it was very nice.

MizMissy
07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks, everyone! :mickey:

We ended up taking Buzznwoodysmom's advice - sort of. We stuck with the original plan of Orange Beach but checked out Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) and found a condo in the Tidewater complex. We liked the size of the complex (small) and it still had an indoor pool, hot tub, outdoor pool and umbrella/chair rentals down by the beach.

For anyone else checking this out because of an upcoming trip:

We fell into the tourist trap of eating at Hazel's and Jake's Steakhouse.

Hazel's claims to be an island favorite with lots of seafood. We're not big fans of fried seafood and that's the most common choice. The grilled fish was just so-so.

Jake's calls itself a steakhouse but only had ribeye and top sirloin for us to choose from. The rest of the menu: burgers, chicken, crab legs (they were overcooked), bbq and seafood.

We finally asked a local for a suggestion and found Cosmo's. Off the beaten path but so worth the money. Best meal we had all trip. Go early. Parking is limited and there was a long wait by 6pm.

Thanks again for the help! Hope this helps others!

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip other than the tourist food traps. I wish I thought about it, I could have given you food advice prior to your trip. (Of course, we only go to the beach in the off season because I hate dealing with crowded restuarants, but there are a few good ones around.)
Glad you found Cosmo's ... it's one of the best in the area. Cobalt (next to The Caribe) is owned by the same people and also very good. We also have lots of fun at Lulu's at the Marina. A little off the beach, but a lot of fun for kids and the food is decent. Tacky Jack's has several locations, it's a beach hang out with decent food also, a nice breakfast spot.

You said you weren't big seafood fans, but for anyone who is, Blalock's seafood market has a great smoked tuna dip and their steamed red rock shrimp are very, very yummy to take back to your condo. There are a couple of locations in the area.

iheartdisney
07-26-2012, 03:06 PM
MizMissy: Thanks for the recommendations! I'm taking notes for our next trip. :mickey:

P.S. We love seafood, just not "fried" seafood. So, Blalock's sounds right up our alley. Thanks!

MizMissy
07-26-2012, 04:16 PM
MizMissy: P.S. We love seafood, just not "fried" seafood. So, Blalock's sounds right up our alley. Thanks!

The blackened fish tacos at Lulu's are a favorite of mine.
We skipped it last time we were there, but I think there is a Calypso's at the Orange Beach Marina that used to be pretty good also (too many restuarants that begin with "C", it's confusing).
There was also a really good "gourmet" pizza place that delivered that was good too (it may have been in Perdido Key instead of Alabama, the condo where we stay is basically on the border between Alabama and Florida), I'll try to remember the name and post it later.