PDA

View Full Version : SSR or OKW????

JenniferS.
06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Planning a stay in Nov. 2013 and was wondering what is better resort Saratoga Springs or Old Key West? Which is newer, which has a better pool, dining, rooms, ect..anything you can think of. We are a family of 4 kids/2 adults and we may bring my 13 yr old niece. Thanks!

AirlineGuy07
06-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Never stayed at OKW but we like staying at SSR. OKW rooms have been recently remodeled but the rooms at SSR are nice too. Our kids 4 and 7 love the new Paddock pool. I'm not sure how old your kids are but there is a kids splash area with slides at the Paddock pool where my kids just love and could spend hours. The bigger part of the pool has a neat water slide too. The splash area I think are for kids 48 inches or smaller. We also love the quietness of SSR. It's so spread out at times it feels like you are the only one there. The grounds are kept up very nice. High Rock Springs pool is near the lobby and is even bigger! Have fun!

ThanxForNoticin
06-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Given this choice, we would always go to OKW. The rooms are larger, the main entertainment area is nicer, and we just like the 'feel' better. Both are quiet and peaceful.

That being said, eating at SSR, there are more choices. Both resorts have nice themed pools and nice quiet pools. In the last several months, SSR opened a second themed pool which is pretty nice. If you're planning to spend a lot of time at the pools, then this might be a factor.

Overall, you have 2 nice choices, so you can't go wrong. Have a great time!

JenniferS.
06-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Never stayed at OKW but we like staying at SSR. OKW rooms have been recently remodeled but the rooms at SSR are nice too. Our kids 4 and 7 love the new Paddock pool. I'm not sure how old your kids are but there is a kids splash area with slides at the Paddock pool where my kids just love and could spend hours. The bigger part of the pool has a neat water slide too. The splash area I think are for kids 48 inches or smaller. We also love the quietness of SSR. It's so spread out at times it feels like you are the only one there. The grounds are kept up very nice. High Rock Springs pool is near the lobby and is even bigger! Have fun!

Thanks!! My kids will be 5, 7, 10 and 10 when we go.

Through the looking Glass
06-10-2012, 08:34 AM
The size of the rooms at OKW are the best selling point there. Quick service meals and varity of pools make SSR nice. If you plan to spend time around the resort I would suggest SSR. If you are going to be at the parks and the resort is just a place to crash I suggest OKW.
My family likes both, but we have been staying at SSR lately due to the pools.

tundramom
06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Been to both and we swore we would never do OKW again. It was dirty, overgrown, and really lacked in the area of walking paths on grounds, mind you this was pre-rehab but I still can't imagine it "feeling" better.. SSR has beautiful paths that wind around ponds (with otters and once a :gator:) and several more eating options (Turf Club is a secret gem). I love being able to walk to DTD and the general openness of SSR, I guess that is what really put me off about OKW, I just felt claustrophobic in the outdoor spaces there. That being said, SSR is definitely a big resort and if you don't like walking it may not be for you. We always request Paddock near the Carousel bus stop (second on and off in the loop) because it is quiet and never had a problem getting a seat.