PDA

View Full Version : No Costumes allowed parks???

Dyanna
06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
From huffingtonpost.com:

Somewhere in Florida, a teen wishes that she could toss a pile of pixie dust in the air and make everything better. But she won't be able to do it dressed as Tinkerbell.

April Spielman, 15, was refused entry to an Orlando Walt Disney World theme park while wearing a Tinkerbell costume. Spielman was stopped by security guards at the front gate of the Animal Kingdom, WKMG reports.

Spielman said she wanted to wear the costume in order to make her boyfriend's first trip to the magical theme park truly special. The teenager explained to the local news outlet that she went through the crocodile pond in order to be able to please her significant other. Spielman reportedly spent two hours transforming her eyes with green eye shadow, and another 60 minutes emulating Tinkerbell's youthful "bun" hair style. The would-be Disney character also sprayed her entire body with glitter and painted her nails lime green to complete the effect.

But the costume violated Disney guest policy, which is available for public viewing on the company's website. Disney prohibits guests from wearing "adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character." The ban on Disney dress-up is not in place for children under the age of 10, according to the unofficial website WDWInfo, which contains information for tourists planning their trips to the theme parks.

Disney has a long history of strict dress codes. Disney encourages its employees to maintain a "clean, natural, polished look" that eschews "cutting edge trends or extreme styles." It was only in June of 2010 that female employees were able to expose their arms and legs at work, with shorts and tank top-style shirts, the Orange County Register reported. The 2010 changes also allowed male workers to wear untucked shirts for the first time.

In February of 2012, the company again updated its clothing policy. Under its new rules, Disney allowed its male employees to grow beards, according to the Los Angeles Times.

But none of these changes helped Spielman, who was given a free t-shirt and "FastPass" tickets to skip ride lines as compensation for her troubles.

"It just broke my heart," the teen told WKMG, as tears rolled down on her face. Speaking more about the land that purports itself to be the place where dreams come true, Spielman lamented, "It ruined my dreams because I just wanted to be Tinkerbell."

If this in indeed the rule then each & every adult entering the parks in character attire for the MNSSHP is also in violation of the rules?

CajunDisneyDad
06-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Ok after reading the story, I can understand their policy. One of the big things is to have your picture taken with a disney character...expecially the not mask wearing ones (princesses, fairies etc) So I can understand why they have this in place.

retiredfigment
06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I think the policy is a understandable. What if a little girl or boy had seen here and wanted their picture taken with her? What would she have done? Hard to explain to a little one if Tinker Belle was being 'mean'.

Strmchsr
06-06-2012, 08:28 AM
The rule is relaxed only for the MNSSHP. But this really is a policy Disney has to enforce. If you had some random person dressed up and walking around the parks, taking pictures with kids, they could potentially do something wrong and Disney would get the blame, not to mention potentially ruining the magic for kids. Disney has to be extraordinarily protective of their characters.

Disney Hungarian
06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
On a Keys to the Kingdom tour back in February; our group came across a rather well costumed Peter Pan. The guide was discussing the transition in architecture, landscaping, sounds and colors from Main Street to Adventureland. He had been discussing the level of detail that imagineers put into themeing. This Peter Pan allowed him to show the contrast...yada yada yada. Someone asked him why Disney allowed people to dress as characters in the parks then. He said, "We don't." He went on to discuss other reasons why, but the one that made the most sense to me was; Our characters not only look like the character, they also are trained to behave (act) like the character. A guest dressed as a character may not act like the character and confuse children. A subtle way of saying Cinderella smoking a cigarette making out with her boyfriend....etc

CzepielCrew
06-06-2012, 08:48 AM
I agree with this policy. I think they took care of "Tinkerbell" by giving her a free tee-shirt and FastPass. It does not seem to me like they were rude to her about it.
I have seen some bad characters at Six Flags parks where they are joking behind stage sets with their character heads off.
Disney holds a high standard for their characters and it is one of the reasons they are #1!

faline
06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
I recall that a similar situation came up a few years ago when an adult woman was refused admission to a park when she showed up dressed as a princess. The rule is certainly understandable. No-one is going to mistake your 5 year old wearing a Cinderella dress for Cinderella but it's very different when an adult (or in this case a teenager) is dressed as Tinkerbell or another character.

And, yes, they do relax the rules for the Halloween parties.

I can certainly understand the reasons for the rule. At one of the Halloween parties, my husband (dressed as Captain Hook) was approached by a child who began to walk along beside us until retrieved by a parent. I'm guessing she mistook him for the real Captain Hook!

SBETigg
06-06-2012, 09:13 AM
I understand the rule. It protects Disney and protects guests. We were in Epcot (Future World) once with two women walking around in sleazy versions of Princess costumes (Belle and Jasmine). It wasn't Halloween and I was very surprised they were allowed in. Their behavior in the attire was also questionable. My kids are older, but I wouldn't have wanted my young kids to think those two were really princesses behaving that way. Also, child safety issues. People dressed as characters not working for Disney could be there to lure children. It's a very scary thought. I've known about the rule for years, and I speculated on another thread that it might have had something to do with imposing age limits on the character makeover experiences. I'm sure even during MNSSHP they are keeping watch on how closely costumes resemble actual character costumes.

Wolf
06-06-2012, 10:11 AM
I get that the girl was upset but she needs to grow up, I've done costume design for over 10 years now as a hobby and I never once thought about wearing one of my outfits to Disney World. That crying on tv junk annoys me cause she shouldn't be upset she didn't get to go into AK dressed up, she would have sweated all that makeup off in about a hour anyways. I like to dress up for the halloween party but I've only ever been a pirate and then we were Tigger and Pooh one year but with jeans dyed orange and stripes added to them and a orange tank top, ears on a headband. Everyone should know not to dress up like that, you are paying money to go somewhere that they train these people to do that, don't impose yourself. I don't know things like that just makes it seem like that girl just wanted attention and got mad when she couldn't go into a park looking all hoochie-fied. Kids don't need that kinda stuff confusing them..

Aurora
06-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I understand the policy and agree with it, but then the same logic should apply to MNSSHP. Let the kids dress up, not the adults, to avoid confusion.

Why is the policy different on MNSSHP nights? Can't people get mixed up if an adult's costume is too much like the actual character on those nights too? Or are guests just supposed to assume that during the party, ALL costumed people are other guests unless proven otherwise? :confused:

EeyoresBestFriend
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I agree with the policy and the previous posters.

That's what makes MNNSHP special and, like previous posters, I can imagine how sleazy it could become. Not everyone has good taste in costumes . . . :D

Strmchsr
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Why is the policy different on MNSSHP nights? Can't people get mixed up if an adult's costume is too much like the actual character on those nights too? Or are guests just supposed to assume that during the party, ALL costumed people are other guests unless proven otherwise? :confused:

They actually are pretty careful about MNSSHP, as Linda mentioned above. If someone comes in looking too close to the real thing they'll make some alteration in the costume. I saw that happen once to a lady who had the Cinderella costume almost perfect. I don't remember exactly what they did, but they made her adjust in some way before they would let her in.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
She got a free tee shirt, free passes, yadda yadda yadda... tell her to stop the fake crying and grow up... If being Tink is your dream at 15, you have bigger issues...

SBETigg
06-06-2012, 12:07 PM
She got a free tee shirt, free passes, yadda yadda yadda... tell her to stop the fake crying and grow up... If being Tink is your dream at 15, you have bigger issues...

Seriously. Not sure she's mature enough to be dating. And she got to experience DHS in her costume, so all was not lost. She has pictures, memories, and some good times before they asked her to put on a t-shirt. Notice, they didn't keep her out of the park entirely, just asked her to put on a shirt that they gave her. No need for the boo-hooing to the local news. Think of all the kids who have never been to Disney World, and might not ever get to go.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Seriously. Not sure she's mature enough to be dating. And she got to experience DHS in her costume, so all was not lost. She has pictures, memories, and some good times before they asked her to put on a t-shirt. Notice, they didn't keep her out of the park entirely, just asked her to put on a shirt that they gave her. No need for the boo-hooing to the local news. Think of all the kids who have never been to Disney World, and might not ever get to go.

Family boo-hoo'd to the media because they smell LAWSUIT.. watch, within 6 months, they sue Disney because their daughter has suffered emotional harm...

BriarRose0708
06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
A friend who currently works front gate at EPCOT posted this on her blog about the article:

I'm just shaking my head. Believe it or not, these rules were actually a part of the Main Entrance training and were included on our exam. As long as she knew she couldn't sign autographs or take pictures with guests, she could have been allowed in. Personally, I think it was because the costume was a little too revealing, and certainly did not meet Disney's standards.

I've never encountered this situation, although Epcot is probably not the park that adults would choose to dress up at. But I have had to ask people to change their shirts if they have inappropriate things on them. So yes, it's at the discretion of the people at the front of the park whether or not your clothing is appropriate, and for me, it pretty much comes down to how truly offensive it might be, and whether or not it's worth making the guests angry-because they almost always get angry.

I'm surprised she went to AK and not MK. She probably knew there'd be a snowball's chance in a very hot place she'd be let in where the real Tink lives. October is only a few months away, wait for MNSSHP!

joonyer
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Family boo-hoo'd to the media because they smell LAWSUIT.. watch, within 6 months, they sue Disney because their daughter has suffered emotional harm...

Not much chance of a successful lawsuit. I don't think a person would have much chance of convincing a judge or jury to award them any damages after they chose to ignore or violate a known policy/rule and then claim they suffered harm because the policy rule was enforced against them.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Not much chance of a successful lawsuit. I don't think a person would have much chance of convincing a judge or jury to award them any damages after they chose to ignore or violate a known policy/rule and then claim they suffered harm because the policy rule was enforced against them.

Never underestimate the idiocy that is the American judicial system... Only in America can someone break into your house, and you defend your property by clocking the thug over the head with a frying pan.. and YOU get arrested and YOU get sued for assault and YOU lose...

Nothing surprises me... especially when you put a 15 year old girl on the stand, crying her heart out, describing how big bad Disney ruined her warped dreams of being a fairy.... Sappy jurors will eat it up...

joonyer
06-06-2012, 02:14 PM
More likely that Disney would probably offer some kind of settlement just to make them go away.

BrerGnat
06-06-2012, 02:22 PM
No sympathy.

No joke, I was once at Disneyland and the woman in front of me was asked to zip up her hoodie. She seemed kinda put out by it, but also humored somewhat. I asked her if I could see her t-shirt, so she unzipped the hoodie, and the T-shirt was JESSICA RABBIT, dressed like Jessica Rabbit. For real.

Disney's park. Disney's rules. Don't like it? Don't go.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 04:59 PM
More likely that Disney would probably offer some kind of settlement just to make them go away.

And, that means Disney loses, she wins... when she shouldn't... which is EXACTLY what this family is counting on...

Melanie
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Um, okay so what about the lady last week who was wearing a perfect Evil Queen costume at the MK for the last night of Snow White's Scary Adventure? She was all over the news coverage, twitters, etc. with her daughter (I assume) who was dressed as Snow White. I don't get it. :shrug:

buzznwoodysmom
06-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Ok, just watched the video and this girl has some issues. First of all, I am all for kids maintaining their childhood for as long as possible, and it pains me to see my own kids growing so quickly. But seriously, it's time for this girl to grow up! I can't believe a person of her age is crying like that over a costume. Her reaction is something I'd expect from a small child, not a teenager. My boys, 12 and 10, know that this kind of behavior would never fly in our house.

I agree with the policy. I do think it's OK to allow costumes for Halloween parties. Parents are aware that other guests may be dressed up for the parties. It's also simple to explain to a child why there are more than one particular character/characters, due to folks dressing up for Halloween. A child can understand that.

shadowden
06-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Agreed...!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
06-06-2012, 09:53 PM
OH Wah!! I tell you on thing as a parent of a 17yr old daughter, there is no way my daughter would ever be boohooing to the press about being asked to follow company policy.

As for that girl spending time in DHS - well that was a different CM that allowed her entrance. One has to wonder if it was a young male entranced by her cleavage! Good thing the 'REAL' Tink doesn't reveal that much!! :eek:

celebrationasheley
06-06-2012, 11:40 PM
A woman on main street that was working at the emporiium had a rose "woven" into her hairstyle, she became an attraction and picture spot herself. Management was called and she was told to either utilize the salon in the utilidor or take the rest of the day off. On another note... A man that resembled Santa came in with his white beard and striped shirt and suspenders... Security gave him a Disney shirt and hat... Man do I have the stories!!! ;)

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Is anyone was wondering the official policy, here it is:

The parks are a casual, family-oriented environment. We suggest you dress comfortably, wear good walking shoes and check the local weather report before you leave for the parks.
Ensuring that the parks are family friendly is an important part of the Disney experience. In that spirit, we ask you to use your discretion and common sense. Attire that is not appropriate for the theme parks (and which may result in refusal of admittance) includes but is not limited to:

Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character
Masks (unless you are dressing up for a particular event)
Clothing with objectionable material, including obscene language or graphics
Excessively torn clothing
Clothing which, by nature, exposes excessive portions of the skin that may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment
Objectionable tattoos

A Guest is allowed into the parks if her or his hair (or make-up, if applicable) has been made to resemble a Disney Princess or character (for example, after a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique makeover) provided the Guest is not also wearing a costume or clothed to look like the character.

That is taken right from Disneyworld.com...

I did a little further digging and found this:

Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)

So, she is 15, considered an adult in Disney's eyes, and per dress code policy... So, she was in violation of their rule... Notice, the word MAY is also in there... So, for those wondering why they saw some people dressed and others turned away, there ya go... they MAY turn you away... Well, they turned her away in DAK, well within their right as per their own policy... They gave her a free stinking tee shirt and her family got passes... Now, time for the little missy to get over herself and stop her whining... We'll probably see her on one of those MTV teen reality shows soon...

TinkerbellT421
06-07-2012, 08:29 AM

[/LIST]
So, she is 15, considered an adult in Disney's eyes, and per dress code policy... So, she was in violation of their rule... Notice, the word MAY is also in there... So, for those wondering why they saw some people dressed and others turned away, there ya go... they MAY turn you away... Well, they turned her away in DAK, well within their right as per their own policy... They gave her a free stinking tee shirt and her family got passes... Now, time for the little missy to get over herself and stop her whining... We'll probably see her on one of those MTV teen reality shows soon...

:ditto::exactly: and I think I know which show ;) lol

Wolf
06-07-2012, 12:05 PM

[/LIST]

I feel pretty sure the MAY in there is for the event of maybe a handicapped adult person past the age limit directed or something along those lines, it certainly doesn't apply to this but on the note of the MAY being a concern that would be my best guess.
Weirdo girl with fairy issues is not cool in my opinion, at all.

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I feel pretty sure the MAY in there is for the event of maybe a handicapped adult person past the age limit directed or something along those lines, it certainly doesn't apply to this but on the note of the MAY being a concern that would be my best guess.
Weirdo girl with fairy issues is not cool in my opinion, at all.

That one word is what gives Disney discretion.. That girl was allowed into DHS with nothing said.. BTW, they weren't denying her entrance into DAK... She was allowed in.. They only asked her to cover up and provided her with a stinking free tee shirt...

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 02:24 PM
:ditto::exactly: and I think I know which show ;) lol

Possible... But not because of the guy she is with now... I mean, he dressed as Peter Pan... I don't think, well... let me stop there :)

PirateLover
06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I say shame on the media for even covering this story. Who are any of us to be judging this young lady based on a spliced up news clip. I doubt anyone commenting on here personally knows her to be making such harsh judgements. She is 15! The bigger question is where are her parents? I know mine wouldn't have let me out of the house to go to a park in a skimpy Tink outfit, whether it was my life long dream or not! I do not have a problem with Disney's policy.

Dixie Springs
06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I feel her pain. I don't wear any costumes to the parks, but I look and walk like Quasimodo. Have had trouble at the MK gate.

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I say shame on the media for even covering this story. Who are any of us to be judging this young lady based on a spliced up news clip. I doubt anyone commenting on here personally knows her to be making such harsh judgements. She is 15! The bigger question is where are her parents? I know mine wouldn't have let me out of the house to go to a park in a skimpy Tink outfit, whether it was my life long dream or not! I do not have a problem with Disney's policy.

The media jumps at the moment they could report anything that would show Disney in a bad light... Even though in this situation, this little whining brat comes off looking like a fool...

kakn7294
06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Ok, I had to watch it. Man, that girl needs to GROW UP! That was a little ridiculous that it was even covered by the news but I guess that painting Disney in a bad light sells.

I also have a problem with how provocatively she was dressed for 15 years old. I guess I'm too old-fashioned.

Altair
06-07-2012, 09:49 PM
... I mean, he dressed as Peter Pan... I don't think, well... let me stop there :)

This just in, he now claims he was dressed as Robin Hood.;)

joonyer
06-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I feel her pain. I don't wear any costumes to the parks, but I look and walk like Quasimodo. Have had trouble at the MK gate.

I know what you mean. People think I'm Goofy all the time. :D

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 11:18 PM
This just in, he now claims he was dressed as Robin Hood.;)

LOL..... He did sort of look more like Errol Flynn's Robin Hood than Peter Pan... LOL....

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 11:19 PM

I know what you mean. People think I'm Goofy all the time. :D

You two think you have it bad... I was once denied entry because one of the clueless managers thought I was Jabba the hut...

Best was when I tried to dress up like Mr. Hanky... They refused me entrance because I looked too much like a WDW executive (you choose which one)... :secret:

EeyoresBestFriend
06-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Disney's park. Disney's rules. Don't like it? Don't go.

Totally agree! :mickey:

meldan98
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm friends with one of Santa's close personal friends that works at the mall...and he and his family vacation after Christmas at either Disneyworld, Disneyland or on a Disney Cruise. Each vacation he wears Santa Hawaiian Shirts and always gets lots of comments on his vacation and he really tries to play down his "look" while there, so he doesn't get in trouble with Disney. He is going to use his look this Halloween and is going as Sandy Claus to the Halloween party.

Mackflava99
06-25-2012, 02:24 PM
A few years ago, we were going to Not so Scary, but we were in Epcot during the day, i had my costume in my backpack and aftr dinner at Norway, i went into the bathroom and changed into my Mr. Incredible outfit.
I walked through Future World, got on the monorail and went on to MK.
Understand i was with my wife, my parents, my inlaws and twin girls dressed as princesses. I was also pushing a stroller.
On the way many people stopped me, commenting in how good my costume was, i took pictures with people, Many kids came by to shake my hand, and while waiting for the monorail, i actually signed 3 autographs..
Each time i told them I was not a character, but they didnt care.

No CMs ever bothered me about it.