PDA

View Full Version : Castaway Cay vs. competitors

MarkC
06-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Hi all. We took our first Disney cruise in February and fell in love with Castaway Cay. My son (who is 20) would love to go somewhere they have crystal clear waters, and I immediately thought of Castaway Cay. However, I wonder if any of you have cruised on other lines and had a similar experience that may be more suited college age kids, not that he wouldn't love a Disney cruise. Are other islands also blessed with those beautiful waters? In my opinion, not even Cozumel or Grand Cayman could compare to Castaway Cay. Thoughts?

DizneyRox
06-06-2012, 06:35 AM
I think RCCLs island tops Castaway Cay, not by a lot though...

wildernesslady
06-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I prefer castaway to royals island but just by a little. You can actually see each island from the other. They are both a touch of paradise.

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-06-2012, 08:45 PM
RC's private island, Labadee!!! It's DH's and I's favorite port. The water is crystal clear/blue and the mountains are breathtaking. Great beaches, zip line (our personal fave), and roller coaster (bobsled like).

BowTie7
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the biggest advantage to Castaway Clay is that it has its own full dock, so that the ship is tied up to the island and you can come and go as you wish throughout the day. I believe all the other private islands require taking a tender (small boat) from the ship to the island, which can lead to lines at certain times of the day as well as a greater possibility of having to skip the island if the ocean is rough.

BrerGnat
06-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Labadee is incredible! Nicest beach I've been to (and I've been to a LOT!)

When I went to Labadee (Royal Caribbean's Private "Island") on the Voyager of the Seas, we docked and walked off the ship. Don't know how the larger class ships (Freedom and Oasis class) deal with it, but I thought I heard they built a larger dock to accommodate these ships.

Royal Caribbean is WAY better for a college aged male than Disney. I took an RCCL cruise with my boyfriend in college (who is now my husband) and we went on another cruise a few years after that, on the Voyager, and that's when we went to Labadee. Gorgeous. I have a set of three photos we took on the beach there still hanging up in our bedroom. :cloud9:

DizneyRox
06-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Unless I am mistaken, the biggest advantage to Castaway Clay is that it has its own full dock, so that the ship is tied up to the island and you can come and go as you wish throughout the day. I believe all the other private islands require taking a tender (small boat) from the ship to the island, which can lead to lines at certain times of the day as well as a greater possibility of having to skip the island if the ocean is rough.I think they ended up dredging more around the dock, but I remember a few years back that Disney didn't always make it to their island. Weather would sometimes provide guests with another day at sea as it was unsafe to dock at CC.

Haven't heard many complaints lately of this though...

BTW - My original post was actually referring to Coco Cay, RCCLs "other" private island.

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
@Natalie: I just returned from a cruise that went to Labadee! We were on the Allure. Yes, there is a dock now, so no tendering. (Although, I never found tendering to be an obstacle.) This was our 3rd visit to Labadee. It was amazing as always!

I agree with one of the previous posters; a RC cruise is probably better for a college student. Still love Disney though. :)

MarkC
06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We are taking the family on a Disney cruise to the Mediterranean next June, but will take my youngest on RCC the following spring. Thanks again.