PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Trip!

Mary Chase
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Just had to say that I have FINALLY (after a year of just looking at my options) begun the process of booking my family's surprise first trip to DL! We've been to WDW many times and my kids think DL is out of reach price wise, so they won't suspect it at all. I bought the tickets and am pretty close to booking the airfare and hotel. I'm so excited to finally be getting this booked!

Anyone have any good ideas on how to tell the kids we're going? Going to hold out as long as possible - thought about waiting until we are at the airport.

green ranger
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I am so happy things are falling into place for your family vacation. I didn't get to ask my sister if she heard back from you, but my sister is the one who sent you the pm for me regarding the park tickets.
Anyhow, two years ago, we booked a WDW trip and didn't tell the kids a thing until we pulled into the airport. I then turned on the DVD recorder and asked them if they could say Disney World! It was so funny because they both said it, but it didn't register right away of what I meant. Then all of a sudden their faces lit up and they got it! It was something I will never forget.
However you go about surprising them, enjoy every second of planning.

Pirate Granny
06-05-2012, 08:05 AM
My DD is surprising her DDs next week...WOW, it is next week now!!!!

They think they are going to Kansas. She plans on taping their reaction when she tells them in the morning just before leaving for the airport.

Can't wait to hear about their reaction. Of course we'll be waiting at BLT for them to arrive.

Mary Chase
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=green ranger;2271733]I am so happy things are falling into place for your family vacation. I didn't get to ask my sister if she heard back from you, but my sister is the one who sent you the pm for me regarding the park tickets.

Yes, I tried to reply to her PM and it said her mailbox was full - but PLEASE tell her THANK YOU!!! Overall, it saved me $300!!

I can't believe it - but I booked the whole trip today!! My next surprise was that I get to fly into SNA and not LAX - SO happy about that!!! I couldn't believe I got the airfare I wanted to get into SNA! It really is all falling into place - I was so frustrated for a while with price increases and airfares were skyrocketing, but it all fell into place in the last 24 hours! My husband doesn't share the excitement - I mean he wants to go - but he just doesn't feel the way I do about it. I could talk non-stop about it. I want to tell the kids SO bad, but we're six months out and I want to do something really fun to surprise them! I thought about buying some Disneyland specific items and wrapping them up and letting them open them at the airport or possibly before we leave. I seriously thought about telling them we were going somewhere else (non-Disney) - but they both have to be taken out of school for the trip and we usually go the same time every year to WDW so they will be expecting WDW. So I thought about letting them think we were going to WDW and then spring it on them at the airport that we're going to DL. My older son has wanted to go - but we've always said it's just too expensive to go out to CA. We have the Disney planning DVD and he always wants to watch it and wants to watch the portion about DL. So I really hope he gets as excited about it as I think he will! Now to get through the next 6 months!! I'll try not to wish the time go too fast - but I am so excited about the trip!

Joannelet
06-22-2012, 07:52 AM
I did get your email! :) I just couldn't write back but I cleared some room so it came through finally! So glad you were able to save money and that my sis and I were able to help you! Have fun surprising them with this trip!

BrerGnat
06-22-2012, 08:37 AM
How old are your kids?

Are they fans of Cars?

You can do something clever related to Carsland.

That's great about being able to fly into SNA. It's the BEST airport in the area and so convenient to DLR. We got great airfare into SNA from Washington D.C. for November and I was suprised by it too! It's never the cheaper option, but it was so we are stoked.

Mary Chase
06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
My kids are 5 and 10 - both boys. They will be really excited about seeing Carsland! I happened to be at a Disney outlet last week on vacation and found Disneyland merchandise on clearance! I bought everyone in my family a Disneyland T-shirt. I was thinking about waiting until maybe a day before the trip and wrapping them up and giving them to them. Actually what I'd really like is to surprise them during our layover in Chicago - by giving them the shirts then. They will think we are going to WDW - I can't really hide that from them since we go at pretty much the same time each year. Can anyone comment on this - you can't take wrapped gifts through security, right? So I am thinking we'd have to do give them the gifts before we got to the airport. What about gift bags - I would think those would be okay since they can check those pretty easily.

BrerGnat
06-24-2012, 01:14 PM
My kids are 5 and 10 - both boys. They will be really excited about seeing Carsland! I happened to be at a Disney outlet last week on vacation and found Disneyland merchandise on clearance! I bought everyone in my family a Disneyland T-shirt. I was thinking about waiting until maybe a day before the trip and wrapping them up and giving them to them. Actually what I'd really like is to surprise them during our layover in Chicago - by giving them the shirts then. They will think we are going to WDW - I can't really hide that from them since we go at pretty much the same time each year. Can anyone comment on this - you can't take wrapped gifts through security, right? So I am thinking we'd have to do give them the gifts before we got to the airport. What about gift bags - I would think those would be okay since they can check those pretty easily.

I would have them lay out their clothes the night before, and then once they fall asleep, replace the shirts they put out with the Disneyland shirts. I'd not wait until you are on a layover, because when you check in to the airport, they will ask you "what's your final destination today" and will tag your suitcases appropriately. Your kids will probably overhear that.