PDA

View Full Version : Ugh - Pirates Queue Interactive Refurb???

Buttercup
06-04-2012, 06:43 PM
So there are rumors floating around on a few sites (most recently on Da Mouse website with photos included) of the Pirates of the Caribbean queue. Looks like the one side has been blocked off with some curtains and there are rumors that they're adding some interactive elements to that lineup.

BOO. :ack: I seriously hope not. That is one of the best lineups for setting the mood, feeling nice and cool out of the hot sun... blech I don't want any noisy video games or irritating interactive elements that people are stopping at and wasting time.

PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO!

gerald72
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Then you can go in the side without them.

Buttercup
06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Then you can go in the side without them.
:D True... but I highly doubt they would stop at just one side of interactive elements... they're just refurbing one side at a time!
Also, they don't always have both sides open....
I'm just tired of them spending all this money making noisy queues instead of other stuff. I'm all for interactive but really, there are 10 billion other things I'd rather them spend money on.

Maleficent_vf
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I hope there's an interactive and a non-interactive side.

I haven't been able to get to WDW in a couple of years. For a while I was excited to read about all the changes, but now I'm starting to feel like they are going too far. I liked WDW because there was a nice mix of thrill attractions (not for me, usually) and quaint rides for the more timid or the younger or older visitors. Now, it is starting to seem as though their focus on a single market - teens and young adults with short attention spans.

I'm starting to feel like WDW is going in a direction I don't necessarily want me or my money to follow. :(

retiredfigment
06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
You can use the side you want on HM.

Ian
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah we saw all the curtains up when we were there but didn't know what it was for.

I honestly hate these stupid interactive queues. They're just ridiculous. If we've become a society that is jaded to the point that you can't enjoy the intricately themed and highly detailed queue in Disney theme park attractions then go play on your iPad somewhere or something.

waymickey
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah we saw all the curtains up when we were there but didn't know what it was for.

I honestly hate these stupid interactive queues. They're just ridiculous. If we've become a society that is jaded to the point that you can't enjoy the intricately themed and highly detailed queue in Disney theme park attractions then go play on your iPad somewhere or something.

I feel exactly the same.

I love the queue at Pirates. The Chess game, the idea of really going into the pirate world, the cannon balls stacked and maybe a hidden mickey, and my DH favorite; going around the corner and then jumping out or through one of the cut outs to scare the pants of my DD. We use the line to talk about what we just did, saw and what we want to do. We laugh, people watch and play games we make up while waiting. There is no need for these next gen queues.

Ian
06-04-2012, 09:49 PM
I love the queue at Pirates. The Chess game, the idea of really going into the pirate world, the cannon balls stacked and maybe a hidden mickey, and my DH favorite; going around the corner and then jumping out or through one of the cut outs to scare the pants of my DD. We use the line to talk about what we just did, saw and what we want to do. We laugh, people watch and play games we make up while waiting. There is no need for these next gen queues.Yeah I mean it's sad, IMO. You can't talk to your family? Or just admire the level of detail the Imagineers put into their work? Are we really so pathetic now that we have to be entertained with mindless games and interactive mumbo jumbo at all times?

Whatever happened to conversation???

dnickels
06-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Are we really so pathetic now that we have to be entertained with mindless games and interactive mumbo jumbo at all times?

Given the percentage of guests immersed in their smart phones that I see, I would say at least 10-20% are already there, and the numbers are getting higher.

I love the mood that the Pirates line sets just the way it is, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what they install.

chefmickey3
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree that the next gen queues are heading in the wrong direction. We enjoy talking to our kids in line and interacting with THEM. When there are electronics or other things then I lose that time with my kids. I can't compete with next gen!

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2012, 10:09 PM
More interactivity coming your way... All for a whopping price hike in tickets.. this is plussing, TDO style... By that I mean RUIN something with something annoying and unnecessary...

And you won't be able to escape it, unless you use FastPass+, just like with HM... The interactive, brain numbing, ear piercing HM queue will be stand by only.. the other side will be FP+... Pirates will be the same way once FP+ is rolled out...

Mousemates
06-04-2012, 10:34 PM

What do you mean, "whatever happened to conversation?" I mean I see families texting each other and following one another on Twitter quite frequently when they are standing n the queues at WDW. :D

Aurora
06-04-2012, 11:47 PM
I absolutely know I am in the minority here, but I'm sticking my neck out anyway.

My kids have NEVER been allowed to have any hand-held device while waiting in line. Never, at any age. Not GameBoy (which we owned), or iPods (which we owned), or anything else. We were there on vacation together. In fact, on one trip in which we were driving down to WDW (total of 40 hours there and back), we brought a DVD player in the car and didn't use it once.

Instead, a couple of trips ago, my kids taught me how to play the finger game called chopsticks. I never would have learned it, or even heard of it, if my kids had been busy with a screen.

I'm not universally opposed to queue additions in order to interest guests -- I think the Winnie the Pooh queue was a well-done refurb that added to the attraction and made the extremely humdrum line move "quicker."

But Pirates? When is there more than, at most, a 5- or 10-minute line anymore? I certainly hope that if they're doing anything, it will be in keeping with the cannon area and the chess players. No screens please.

WRWDisney
06-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Your neck is not out to far Aurora. Our kids never had them either (our almost 17 year old daughter did get an iPhone for her 16th birthday; but that was the first time we allowed texting--after 4 years of having a very basic phone and proving her responsibility). I am always appalled at the restaurants when the kids are engrossed in whatever handheld they have. IMHO this is why they have never learned how to behave at a nice restaurant.

Stu29573
06-05-2012, 08:37 AM
In my opinion this is just another example of the dumbing down of our society. Have we really gotten to the point where we can't wait for a story to develop and unfold without skipping ahead to the exciting bits? Both the Haunted Mansion and Pirates were designed as narratives. They had a writer (X Atencio) who specifically arranged the "gags" in such a way as to advance that narrative (not necessarily a verbal narrative, but more one of emotion and experience) in a dramatic and thought provoking manner. Now what do we have? Chuck E Cheese based queues with Wack A Mole at every turn! Yeah, this is the experience I want my grandkids to cherish. For "Imagineers," these clowns have precious little imagination.

VWL Mom
06-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Instead, a couple of trips ago, my kids taught me how to play the finger game called chopsticks. I never would have learned it, or even heard of it, if my kids had been busy with a screen.

My boys (16 & 20) play chopsticks in line too! Best part is the little ones around them in line creep up and keep entertained watching them.

Buttercup
06-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Yeah I mean it's sad, IMO. You can't talk to your family? Or just admire the level of detail the Imagineers put into their work? Are we really so pathetic now that we have to be entertained with mindless games and interactive mumbo jumbo at all times?

Exactly my point Ian. Pirates has an interesting enough queue already that it doesn't require the noisy mumbo jumbo.
I find there's something relaxing about leaning up against those nice & cool stone walls in the queue, admiring the mickey-shaped locks on the gun racks, lifting up my kids so they can look down on the endless chess game... it's not about having some "SHOOT THE CANNON" game to fry my kids' brains some more.

FriendsofMickey
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I guess I am in the minority here.
I do not mind interactive queues (especially when you have a choice to skip them). For example, we were down in May and we rode the Haunted Mansion a number of times. The wait time was relativily short each time. Some of the times we went through the new interactive queue and sometimes we did not. We enjoyed trying out all the interactive elements of the queue. There were children, teens, and adults and none of them were texting or talking on the phone. They were playing and laughing together.

I think it actually promotes some extra interaction between families. And for the little ones, it makes their imagination expand (at least for my little ones). Also, we we were down with a group (my husband had training down in Orlando). A number of them had cell phones, and when we were at the interactive queues, they quit using them and played."

For what it is worth, my girls would be the ones you would see playing and singing made up or learned songs on the buses and in the queues. They have the message that you hear on the Disney buses memorized ("Welcome to the Walt Disney....") and will animate and speak all lines when people are on the bus.
They NEVER have electronic devices at neither the parks nor restaraunts. In fact, unless we are down there for my husbands work (training seminars), we do not even bring our cell phones into the park. Just a camera.

I think that overall Disney Imagineers do a great job with coming up with themed queues. I have faith that whatever interactive queue they think up will blend with the ride. I look forward to checking it out.

(edited: I would be disappointed if it were just interactive screens, such as in Space Mountain. But I am hopeful it will have more thought out items, such as haunted mansion).

lettripp
06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
I guess I am in the minority here.
I do not mind interactive queues (especially when you have a choice to skip them). For example, we were down in May and we rode the Haunted Mansion a number of times. The wait time was relativily short each time. Some of the times we went through the new interactive queue and sometimes we did not. We enjoyed trying out all the interactive elements of the queue. There were children, teens, and adults and none of them were texting or talking on the phone. They were playing and laughing together.

I think it actually promotes some extra interaction between families. And for the little ones, it makes their imagination expand (at least for my little ones). Also, we we were down with a group (my husband had training down in Orlando). A number of them had cell phones, and when we were at the interactive queues, they quit using them and played."

I think this is a really good point! I would rather my kids (some day) interact with something more public than an iPhone... Makes for a lot more memories and is an experience they can more easily share with their siblings...

At the same time, I love the Pirates queue as it is and will be sad if they add anything high tech to it (which I doubt they would anyway because it would take away from the historic theme, but still). For all we know, this could be something wonderful, though. Will have to wait and see...

Ian
06-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I absolutely know I am in the minority here, but I'm sticking my neck out anyway.

My kids have NEVER been allowed to have any hand-held device while waiting in line. I guess my neck is out, too, because none of my kids will ever have a hand-held electronic anything in a line in WDW. If it comes to that we'll just stop going.

I think this is a really good point! I would rather my kids (some day) interact with something more public than an iPhone... Well in fairness you could just not let them bring their iPhones ............................

shadowden
06-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I feel exactly the same.

I love the queue at Pirates. The Chess game, the idea of really going into the pirate world, the cannon balls stacked and maybe a hidden mickey, and my DH favorite; going around the corner and then jumping out or through one of the cut outs to scare the pants of my DD. We use the line to talk about what we just did, saw and what we want to do. We laugh, people watch and play games we make up while waiting. There is no need for these next gen queues.

Agreed!

shadowden
06-05-2012, 07:41 PM
What do you mean, "whatever happened to conversation?" I mean I see families texting each other and following one another on Twitter quite frequently when they are standing n the queues at WDW. :D

:rotfl:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2012, 04:49 PM

:high5:

jennsky
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Noooooooo! I love the Pirates queue the way it is! Personally, the interactive queue at Haunted Mansion I checked out once and bypassed it the rest of the time. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm gonna guess that's what most people do too! Seriously people, who actually stops in line at Space Mountain to play that game they've got (unless they are totally stuck in a slow line) when they could hop on the actual ride?!? Why spend all this money on making the queue interactive when, like Buttercup said, there are a million other things they could be spending the money on. Not to mention that the Pirate queue is already intricately themed. It's my most favourite queue just the way it is!

Ian
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Noooooooo! I love the Pirates queue the way it is! Personally, the interactive queue at Haunted Mansion I checked out once and bypassed it the rest of the time. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm gonna guess that's what most people do too! Seriously people, who actually stops in line at Space Mountain to play that game they've got (unless they are totally stuck in a slow line) when they could hop on the actual ride?!? Why spend all this money on making the queue interactive when, like Buttercup said, there are a million other things they could be spending the money on. Not to mention that the Pirate queue is already intricately themed. It's my most favourite queue just the way it is!I think it just goes to show how out of touch TDO is ... the fact that they think these stupid interactive queues are a good idea just boggles my mind.

seanyred
06-22-2012, 11:11 PM
I think it just goes to show how out of touch TDO is ... the fact that they think these stupid interactive queues are a good idea just boggles my mind.

Just playing devils advocate but it isn't the old Disney superfans who are out of touch? Too often I see posts against change and to keep things how they were. I might not like every change that is done but change is something that has to take place.

On a side note I know I'm in the minority on here but I have liked the interactive queues so far. I don't feel they take away from the experience. In fact I had lots of fun with my kids playing with the HM and WtP interactive queues.

Ian
06-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Just playing devils advocate but it isn't the old Disney superfans who are out of touch? Too often I see posts against change and to keep things how they were. I might not like every change that is done but change is something that has to take place.I dunno, you may have a point. I don't mind the ones they've done so far either really, but Pirates is a bit different. I think it would be a shame to have glowing video screens in that queue when it does such a great job of setting the mood for the ride the way it is.

seanyred
06-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I dunno, you may have a point. I don't mind the ones they've done so far either really, but Pirates is a bit different. I think it would be a shame to have glowing video screens in that queue when it does such a great job of setting the mood for the ride the way it is.

I agree I don't want video screens either. But if it something more like the caves in Tom Sawyer Island at DL then I think it would be a plus. The interactive elements at DL TSI are a lot of fun.

marlyn
06-23-2012, 10:25 AM
I agree with you all about this...I don't see the need to entertain those that can't stand in line without needing to text, phone, Facebook, or game. I have never allowed my boys to bring any form of electronics with us on vacation. I now have teenagers and am not about to start now. I always enjoy our vacations together as they are "unplugged" for a couple weeks and we get to connect as a family. It's wonderful. I see kids so disconnected with the world around them and I'm sure it is due to always being plugged in instead of observing.

March Hare
06-23-2012, 11:29 AM
So there are rumors floating around on a few sites (most recently on Da Mouse website with photos included) of the Pirates of the Caribbean queue. Looks like the one side has been blocked off with some curtains and there are rumors that they're adding some interactive elements to that lineup.

BOO. :ack: I seriously hope not. That is one of the best lineups for setting the mood, feeling nice and cool out of the hot sun... blech I don't want any noisy video games or irritating interactive elements that people are stopping at and wasting time.

PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO!

I hope that thus is not the case. I wonder if it could be part of the new Interactive game that is being discussed here New Interactive Game Coming (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=192114)

Ian
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I agree I don't want video screens either. But if it something more like the caves in Tom Sawyer Island at DL then I think it would be a plus. The interactive elements at DL TSI are a lot of fun.Yeah well as with everything Disney if they do it right it could be awesome. Unfortunately, my confidence that they'll get it right isn't what it used to be. ;)

Buttercup
06-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Just playing devils advocate but it isn't the old Disney superfans who are out of touch? Too often I see posts against change and to keep things how they were. I might not like every change that is done but change is something that has to take place.

On a side note I know I'm in the minority on here but I have liked the interactive queues so far. I don't feel they take away from the experience. In fact I had lots of fun with my kids playing with the HM and WtP interactive queues.

Here's my thinking though: these interactive queues cost a lot of money to do. So, if Disney has all this money burning a hole in their pocket and they're sitting around thinking "What should we spend our moolah on?", WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY CHOOSING INTERACTIVE QUEUES?!?! I mean, with so many other things falling into disrepair, needing updates it boggles my mind that *this* is what they think is first priority.

Believe me, I'm not entirely against interactive queues. I think they can be done well and have their place in certain attractions. And I'm certainly not against change in the parks -- I have been going to WDW for 33+ years and have seen a lot of change and think it's great. But when there is a laundry list of other priorities in the park of animatronics that aren't working, paint jobs that are looking tired, attractions that need refurbs, I think starting all these queue projects is a little wasteful. Why muck around with something that works perfectly fine, looks great and sets a fantastic theme for the ride ahead (like POTC queue)? Is there nothing else out there needing a facelift?

Dulcee
06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
It seems to me again and again, that a lot of us hardcore WDW fans are out of touch with what the bulk of visitors want.

For most WDW is a once or twice in a lifetime trip, not a yearly or twice or thrice yearly trip. The bulk of guests are families with kids and preteens who want them entertained. Yes in my day and age we talked with family, pinched our siblings and played I spy in line *limps away on my cane* :old: but now my 4 year old nephew maneuvers an ipad better then his father. And my 11 year old nephew has his own cell phone. Its reality. If disney is going to keep up with the type of entertainment kids (and many adults) seek, next gen interaction is part of it.

Frankly when they turn the rides more interactive (think Spaceship Earth) us WDW nuts scream and yell. When they leave the bulk of the ride the same and touch the queue, we yell again. Nostalgia is great, but nostalgia doesn't bring in new guests. Walt was a fan of moving forward, pushing the envelope, not dragging his feet and yelling for yester-year.

Are the interactive queues perfect? No, but its a step to whats coming, well before other theme parks have gotten there.

darthmacho
06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
I really prefer interesting queues to interactive queues. Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, former Test Track, Star Tours, and Jungle Cruise are all fine examples. Give me something to look at or listen to, but don't make people have to stop and interact so much. I bet there are a lot of awkward moments in these line where one person or group is being held up, not knowing whether to pass while someone plays with something in the queue.

azcavalier
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Interactive queues don't have to have screens or games. The HM queue only has one screen for all of the new elements they added. The composer's crypt is awesome, and promotes group interaction.

I honestly haven't been on Space Mountain since they've redone the queue, because I don't like the ride. It gives me a headache. So, I can't comment on that queue.

I could see them doing something to the queue at POTC to make it more like the queue at the Indiana Jones ride at DL. No screens, but interactive elements....push against that pole, and the ceiling starts coming down, like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Or, pull the rope in the well outside of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and you hear someone down inside the well. I would love for those kinds of elements to be added to the Pirates queue.

Ian
06-25-2012, 01:55 PM
It seems to me again and again, that a lot of us hardcore WDW fans are out of touch with what the bulk of visitors want.I don't know if this is right or not, but I do think that Disney believes it is.

By all accounts, their chief complaint from guest surveys continues to be the wait times. If, in fact, that's the case then what they're doing (all of it, including interactive queues, Fastpass+, etc.) seems to be going directly to the heart of the concerns of the bulk of guests.

I could see them doing something to the queue at POTC to make it more like the queue at the Indiana Jones ride at DL. No screens, but interactive elements....push against that pole, and the ceiling starts coming down, like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. Or, pull the rope in the well outside of the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, and you hear someone down inside the well. I would love for those kinds of elements to be added to the Pirates queue.This is a good idea, actually, I hope they go this route!

antngoof89
06-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I feel like I am in the minority of Disney adding interactive things to the parks. Let's be honest here... Kids love Video games. A lot of us go to Disney for the nostalgia of riding Dumbo when we were younger, enjoying Pirates and the drop being scary when you're a young'n, having no idea why you're parents made you ride It's a Small World, and just enjoying seeing your Fantasy's come to life. However, this generation of children has Notebooks, Laptops, Xbox, computer games, smart phones, ipods, and tablets to play with and keep them entertained, so isn't it smart of Disney to add some kind of "gaming" type element to many of the Disney Classics? I understand how some would think that Disney is being cheap by adding those interactive elements instead of new rides, but why not improve some of the things Disney has already used to have success in their parks by adding elements popular among the Youth of their park guests. I feel like I'd make that same decision. However, I am one of the few people who posts, though infrequently, on this board that could really care less than to complain about the state of the parks and enjoy them for what they are. I have a good time at Disney more for the nostalgia and family memories so I have a good time regardless of what state some of the rides are in. I guess I'm a glass half full kind of person.

jpcns50
07-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I also enjoy the interactive queues .... I think they can add a touch of relief for young kids, and lets face it, some kids standing in lines at rides can be out of control...I would rather see kids interacting with these games than jumping all over the walls/rails/other guests...etc...

I hope its done well at PotC and will hold off judgement until then....

The only problem that I ever have with them is when the line is moving (mostly at Space) and then kids stop to play and block the walk way and the line just comes to a halt.....that is why I like what they did with HM...you can skip it if you want, but if you chose to interact, you know you are being passed in line. Would agree with some of the above posters that I would love to see only 1 side get the interactive elements, that way you can chose.

figgie
07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I prefer to reserve judgement until I see what it will look like. Nothing I say will change the fact that something is being done so I will just wait to see what turns up. Either way, change is inevetable and I don't look at that as always a bad thing. Keeping an open mind......

joonyer
07-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I fully expect that it will turn out better than we think. That's usually the case. Most of us are skeptical of change. But most of the time things are better after.

Pop Centurion
07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not thrilled about an interactive queue but if it keeps kids occupied enough so they don't start punching my backpack for 20mins straight, I'm all for it.

joonyer
07-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm not thrilled about an interactive queue but if it keeps kids occupied enough so they don't start punching my backpack for 20mins straight, I'm all for it.

:ditto: :exactly:

Or constantly stepping on your heels! Ouch.

Pop Centurion
07-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Hahahaha, I don't think anything will help that. it's a given that at least once an hour you'll either get your heels stepped on or ran into by an EVC. ;)

CMCTxMom
07-13-2012, 05:12 PM
If we've become a society that is jaded to the point that you can't enjoy the intricately themed and highly detailed queue in Disney theme park attractions then go play on your iPad somewhere or something.

Hahaha! SO true!

texas211
07-28-2012, 11:19 PM
Given the percentage of guests immersed in their smart phones that I see, I would say at least 10-20% are already there, and the numbers are getting higher.

I love the mood that the Pirates line sets just the way it is, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what they install.

Yes we are there. IPADS to all! not... Its a sad commentary on our culture where everyone needs 24/7 stimuli, connection to the world and tablets/smart phones.

MaterializedHaunt
07-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I'm just tired of them spending all this money making noisy queues instead of other stuff. I'm all for interactive but really, there are 10 billion other things I'd rather them spend money on.
Hmmm how about spending the money on keeping the monorails open for 1 hour after parks close like they should be!