PDA

View Full Version : 'Family Feud' star Richard Dawson dies at 79

caryrae
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Embarrassed to say I didn't know he was still alive.:blush:

By TODAY.com news services

Randy Rasmussen / AP

Richard Dawson, the British actor and comedian best known for kissing every female contestant he could get his hands on in the television game show "Family Feud," has died his son said Sunday.

"It is with a very heavy heart that I inform you that my father passed away this evening from complications due to esophageal cancer. He was surrounded by his family. He was an amazing talent, a loving husband, a great dad, and a doting grandfather. He will be missed but always remembered," Gary Dawson said in a posting on Facebook.

Dawson hit fame playing a British prisoner of war in the the bizarre 1960s comedy show "Hogan's Heroes," which made out his Nazi captors as benevolent bumblers. He later became a regular on game shows, titillating audiences with just-this-side-of-dirty innuendos on "Match Game" and then, most prominently, as host of "Family Feud," in which two families competed to see which one could more accurately predict Americans' answers to odd survey questions.

Dawson hosted "Family Feud" from 1976 to 1985 and again from 1988 to 1995. He won an Emmy award in 1978.

Dawson, who lived in Beverly Hills, Calif., married one of the contestants he met on the show, Gretchen Johnson, in 1991. She survives him, as does their daughter, Shannon. He is also survived by two sons, Gary and Mark Dawson, from his previous marriage to Hollywood starlet Diana Dors.

SBETigg
06-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I wasn't sure either. He has been out of the public eye for a little while now. But I had no idea he married a Family Feud contestant, either. That's wild. I wasn't a big Hogan's Heroes fan. I was a little young for that. But I loved him on Family Feud.

DisneyDog
06-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I was also under the impression that he had died a long time ago. That is so sad.

Ian
06-04-2012, 02:38 PM
He had been ill for quite some time and was out of the public eye while he battled his cancer. That's why a lot of folks thought he might have already passed away. I'm actually surprised he was only 79 ... I would have thought he was older than that.

I always loved his work. I grew up watching reruns of Hogan's Heroes, which is where I was first exposed to him and then of course later with Family Feud. I also loved his portrayal of Damon Killian in The Running Man, which is based on a Stephen King novel. I thought he brought the character to life much in the way King wrote it, which is tough to do well.

He'll be missed ... I feel like so many of the icons from my youth are fading away. Makes me kinda sad. :(