PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Cleveland to WDW

forever a child
06-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Any thoughts on driving to WDW from Cleveland. We love flying of course, it is so fast and easy. But I also love being able to bring things that would be more difficult to pack. And probably what I love the most is being able to do things the day we leave (instead of heading to airport 3 hours before flight). Last trip we drove from Louisville and it was great to spend most of the day in DtD since we did not get to visit earlier in trip. We left when we got tired and headed back.

Anyone else make this long of a trip and what are your thoughts. Planning on Jan trip...so weather could be an issue. But DD will be heading back to college in Cleveland. Or should we just plan to fly?

Disneymom1995
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
We have driven from Cincinnati to WDW twice and enjoyed both trips. Drove as far as southern Georgia and spent the night to breakup the trip. It is great being able to pack what you want and really nice the last day because if you fly you have to get to airport so early you practically waste your last day at WDW. The last time we flew to WDW we booked an early morning flight and the plane had mechanical problems and we spent most of the day waiting in the airport before we could get to WDW.(I haven't been on a plane for some time but I hear it is getting to be more of a pain that it is worth). Driving or flying - I would rather be in WDW. Have a good, safe trip no matter how you go. :mickey:

Mary Chase
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
We drove from Akron and it was something we'd do again - although if we find that it's within $100-200 for our family of 4 to fly - we'll fly. There are definitely pros to driving - it's nice to pack what you want, definitely nice to be able to bring home what you want too, and nice to have your own car to do what you want and not depend on Disney transportation. We just found that, for us, the pros of flying outweigh the cons most of the time.

retiredfigment
06-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Our family drove from the Cleveland area to DW on many occasions. All freeway. Over the years, we have stopped overnight in various cities which was always fun. Now, though, would rather spend the extra day in DW. As long as there are no delays at the CLE we can be at resort by 1:00, and do not have to leave DW until 3:00.

TheVBs
06-03-2012, 02:33 PM
We drive from Michigan, leave early in the morning and shoot for a hotel just past Atlanta that first night. The next day we're at the resort by early/mid-afternoon. It's definitely doable to drive from where you are! It's great to pack what you want (not to mention have plenty of room for souvenirs for the trip back) and to leave the resort when you're ready. It's definitely not fun to be in a car that long, but my recent experiences with flying weren't fun either. I wish it were still quick and easy, but the trip each way seems to be an all day event now. Plus, now if they change your time, stick in a layover or have mechanical problems, it's completely out of your hands.