PDA

View Full Version : Resort help please!!!

KAT1811
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
We are thinking about 5 different resorts for our girls (and little man) stay next year. We will be in the World for 2 1/2 weeks in November with everyone and will stay in two rooms at Coronado Springs (our favorite). The girls (my mother and I) have started a new tradition of going down to Disney in the spring (April school vacation). This year it will be my mother, DD8, DD6, DS4, and myself (DD16 will be in California on a school trip, with a Disneyland stop :mickey:). We are trying to decide where to stay. So here are the thoughts and resorts so far.

Grand Floridian - Leaning towards it for proximity, monerail, and the opulence. A little disappointed that the bathroom isn't completely closed off from the rest of the room but I may be able to deal with that. (I'll admit I'm a little high maintenance and like to get up and iron everyone's clothing and primp before everyone else gets up. I really don't want to wake the children while I do). My other concern is the other guests at the resort. I don't want to vacation with a bunch of stuffy people who won't even bother to smile and say "Hello" in passing. I like fun, friendly people.

Contemporary - Leaning towards it again for proximity and the monerail (DS4 LOVES the monerail). Not at all thrilled with the decor and very concerned with the lack of balconies in the garden wing rooms. DM and I like to sit on the balcony and have wine at night while the children sleep. They are in bed early and we like to wind down and chat at night. I think I wouldalso prefer to not be in the tower but rather in the garden wings since we like to be away from the madness of the parks when back at the resort.

Boardwalk - Love the Boardwalk and the only hesitation is the bathroom issue. Both my mother and I take a little while to get ready in the morning and like to get up early, I'm worried about disturbing the children. We stayed one night here last year when we extended our stay last spring.

Old Key West - Thinking about a 1 bedroom villa. I love OKW but we have stayed there before, 2 weeks a few years back. Not all that impressed with the pool area but really enjoyed the tranquility of the resort and the laid back quiet feel to it. Sort of like a vacation from the vacation.

Coronado Springs - Our favorite resort on Disney property. It is our home away from home. We spent 18 days last November there and are looking forward to doing the same again this year. We could do 2 rooms here and have 2 bathrooms (solving the bathroom issue). Plenty of room to relax while the children sleep in the next room, we love the staff, the resort, and the pool area. There really isn't anything we don't like. But we were hoping to try something new hence my hesitation.

Whenever I have a Disney dilemma I turn to my Intercot friends. :thanks: in advance!!!

Donald
05-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I like Old Key West....the laundry room in the villa is extremely convenient !

mydisneygirls
05-30-2012, 10:55 PM
My vote would be....The Poly! I found the rooms to be very spacious (Tokelau building) and the bathroom is completely separate and they also have a balcony. Of all the resorts on the monorail, I think your girls will enjoy it here more than the GF and Contemporary. We have stayed there many times and loved it, probably my (and my girl's) favorite. Our second favorite it the WL but most rooms only accommodate 4 whereas the Poly is 5. Something else to think about!!!!!

KAT1811
05-31-2012, 08:42 AM
We stayed at the Poly in a theme park view room this past April. The rooms were lovely but I wasn't all that impressed with the rest of the resort. And if I never eat anything with pineapple in it again I'll be happy. I'm still a bit traumatized by the pineapple in just about EVERYTHING.

KAT1811
05-31-2012, 08:44 AM
:thanks: for the suggestion!

slegrant
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
I would recommend the Polynesian as well, but if you really want some room and still be close to the Magic Kingdom try the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. These cabins are private with lush surroundings and Fort Wilderness offers loads of activities for you and the kids. You would have a private bathroom, full kitchen and a large deck to enjoy your wine:mickey: This room also sleeps 6. This is our favorite resort...just a thought.

mydisneygirls
05-31-2012, 10:16 AM
You're too funny! :D I love the Poly because it's the closets I'll ever get to Hawaii.

Belle of the Ball 051411
05-31-2012, 11:09 AM
After reading your post, I'm a lot like you! We just got back from the GF and had a wonderful stay. While it's an opulent hotel, it is not a "snobby" hotel. The staff and other guests we encountered were all very nice. I totally feel you on the bathroom situation. The vanity area doesn't have a door but still is sort of private. I've considered buying a tension rod for the open doorway and hanging a towel or shower curtain on the rod for more privacy.

Disney4us2
05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
While not on your list. Have you considered AKL Kidani. The one and two bedroom Kidani villas have 2 bathrooms.

We stayed in a studio at Kidani and loved it. The pool area is really nice too. Although it seems remote, all the parks were really convenient.

RBrooksC
05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
I am going to go outside the box and say Wilderness Lodge. Mainly because it is my favorite resort. I love the theming, the boat ride to MK and CR.

We are going to be staying there in July.

darthmacho
05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Contemporary - Leaning towards it again for proximity and the monerail (DS4 LOVES the monerail). Not at all thrilled with the decor and very concerned with the lack of balconies in the garden wing rooms. DM and I like to sit on the balcony and have wine at night while the children sleep. They are in bed early and we like to wind down and chat at night. I think I wouldalso prefer to not be in the tower but rather in the garden wings since we like to be away from the madness of the parks when back at the resort.

I voted for this because I thought it was the best choice that you listed.

Also, you mentioned enjoying sitting on the balcony at night and drinking wine with DM, which I assume stands for Darth Macho. BTW, I prefer red wine...:wine:

:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
06-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Here's an idea for you to consider:

Stay at one of the Disney Vacation Club Resorts. In the Two Bedroom suites, there are enclosed bathroom areas. This offers much more privacy and a separate toilet area from the shower...plus there is a separate jacuzzi bath tub. Lovely. This might offer you better accommodations than the Grand Floridian at a better price.

I've included an INTERCOT link below that for Saratoga Springs Resort (Disney Vacation Club) because this page has diagrams of what the one bedroom and two bedroom suite layout is. Old Key West is similar, but that page didn't have a diagram. Go figure. Check this out. If the diagrams half way down the page are too small to view, copy and paste them into a document and enlarge them for viewing.

http://www.intercot.com/resorts/dvc/saratogasprings/default.asp

ANG
06-01-2012, 06:55 AM
I vote a monorail resort. It may be easier with the kids and since your son will like it!

We too love CS but we always like to try something new as well.

tdk316
06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Have you considered BLT? You'd still have monorail access through the Contemporary but you would also have a balcony to watch the fireworks, light pageant and/or the lake. Plus you'd be able to walk to MK and have laundry facilities in the room (a HUGE bonus for us!). You'd have room for everyone in a 1BR as long as everyone doesn't mind sharing beds and you'd have plenty of closed off bathrooms to get ready in. :mickey: Otherwise, go for something on the monorail - my little ones get upset when we don't stay at a monorail resort because they love it so.

Tigerinvestigator
06-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Curious why you left the Dolphin off the list. You can't beat the price, as you could get two rooms for the price of one at the Grand Floridian. If it is balconies you love, the Dolphin has the most spectacular views from balconies at WDW. IMHO the Dolphin beats most on your list. I would however pick the Poly over the Dolphin. On a side note we also really like CSR. It is my DW's favorite resort at WDW.

zipadeedoodah
06-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I voted for Boardwalk, mainly because I love the Epcot resorts! But my choice would be the Beach Club...gorgeous, just steps from the international gateway, and the pool is so fun!

Through the looking Glass
06-10-2012, 08:40 AM
My vote is for the Boardwalk. Alot to do there, quick walk to EPCOT. Would like to know what you pick in the end.

disneymom15
06-10-2012, 10:03 AM
My vote would also be for BLT. As mentioned, a one bedroom would work for your family, 2 bathrooms, laundry and balcony.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-10-2012, 04:54 PM
After reading your thoughts on each, I voted for the Grand Floridian...if your biggest concern is the snobby people I say don't worry about other people, just enjoy. Although if price wasn't a concern I think I'd like to try the Poly one day, but I am a bit fascinated with GF. It really is a beautiful resort and has so many wonderful restaurants not to mention the monorail access. We ate breakfast here in December and I really didn't think the folks were all that snobby.

M Riddle
06-10-2012, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=Disney4us2;2270581]While not on your list. Have you considered AKL Kidani. The one and two bedroom Kidani villas have 2 bathrooms.

The one bedroom villas at Bay Lake Tower do as well. They are right next to the Contemporary. You would actually check in at the Contemporary if you are staying at BLT. And our Bay Lake Tower one bedroom felt so-o-o-o spacious to us. We were four adults :mickey: One bedroom villas have a King bed in the bedroom and a queen size sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair in the living room. Plus there is a kitchen, the two full bathrooms and a washer and dryer in the unit. And from what I have read, some of the standard view rooms have surprisingly nice views.

mom2morgan
06-12-2012, 10:22 PM
It sounds to me like you'd be happiest with 2 rooms at Coronado Springs! I understand the desire to try something new...but when yu already have something that works perfectly maybe you should stick with it? On the other hand, I think my "dream" would be Grand Floridian - if you can stand the bathroom issue. I can guarantee it isn't filled with stuffy rich people! Pretty much anywhere you stay in Disney is fun and friendly - I've visited GF and it is the same bermuda shorts and flip-flops crowd as anywhere else. (wel, I wouldn't go to V & A's like that, but you know what I mean ;-)

We are thinking about 5 different resorts for our girls (and little man) stay next year. We will be in the World for 2 1/2 weeks in November with everyone and will stay in two rooms at Coronado Springs (our favorite). The girls (my mother and I) have started a new tradition of going down to Disney in the spring (April school vacation). This year it will be my mother, DD8, DD6, DS4, and myself (DD16 will be in California on a school trip, with a Disneyland stop :mickey:). We are trying to decide where to stay. So here are the thoughts and resorts so far.

Grand Floridian - Leaning towards it for proximity, monerail, and the opulence. A little disappointed that the bathroom isn't completely closed off from the rest of the room but I may be able to deal with that. (I'll admit I'm a little high maintenance and like to get up and iron everyone's clothing and primp before everyone else gets up. I really don't want to wake the children while I do). My other concern is the other guests at the resort. I don't want to vacation with a bunch of stuffy people who won't even bother to smile and say "Hello" in passing. I like fun, friendly people.

Boardwalk - Love the Boardwalk and the only hesitation is the bathroom issue. Both my mother and I take a little while to get ready in the morning and like to get up early, I'm worried about disturbing the children. We stayed one night here last year when we extended our stay last spring.

Old Key West - Thinking about a 1 bedroom villa. I love OKW but we have stayed there before, 2 weeks a few years back. Not all that impressed with the pool area but really enjoyed the tranquility of the resort and the laid back quiet feel to it. Sort of like a vacation from the vacation.

Coronado Springs - Our favorite resort on Disney property. It is our home away from home. We spent 18 days last November there and are looking forward to doing the same again this year. We could do 2 rooms here and have 2 bathrooms (solving the bathroom issue). Plenty of room to relax while the children sleep in the next room, we love the staff, the resort, and the pool area. There really isn't anything we don't like. But we were hoping to try something new hence my hesitation.

Whenever I have a Disney dilemma I turn to my Intercot friends. :thanks: in advance!!!

Gator
06-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Coronado is my favorite, too. But if I could get the cash to spend, I'd stay at the Boardwalk. I've never stayed there, but great grounds and proximity to Epcot makes me want to stay there over any other place.