PDA

View Full Version : Working in Disney for the summer

xo0ally
05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Hey all I have a few questions about working in Disney for the summer,

First off is it even possible for college kids to go to Disney for the summer and work?

Second off how do I go about doing this?

Third, will I be able to get housing since I'll only be 20?

Thanks!!

Strmchsr
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Yes, it's possible. You would need to do the Disney College Program (which includes housing). Google it and you will see the full application process. It's a great experience for College Students.

joanna71985
05-30-2012, 05:04 PM
It is possible to work just over the summer. However, to be seasonal, you will need to complete 150 hours to stay with the company. Also, you will need to find your own housing.

xo0ally
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM
I thought the Disney program was for working in the summer but when I looked into it it talked about internships so I wasnt too sure thanks helping!

BrerGnat
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
You don't have to do it through the Disney College Program. They hire people seasonally all the time. My cousins who live in Orlando have friends who work at all the theme parks seasonally, but their families live there. You'd have to pay for your own housing though. Essentially, you'd have to live down there, so it's not really worth it. You won't make any money doing it if you have to pay for housing, utilities, food, gas, etc. on minimum wage, part time.

Strmchsr
05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
You won't make any money doing it if you have to pay for housing, utilities, food, gas, etc. on minimum wage, part time.

Yeah, that's why I suggested the DCP since it provides some of those things. I don't think you could just do seasonal employment and survive. The only folks I know who do that are retired snowbirds doing it for fun and not the money.

joanna71985
05-31-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought the Disney program was for working in the summer but when I looked into it it talked about internships so I wasnt too sure thanks helping!

Yeah, that's why I suggested the DCP since it provides some of those things. I don't think you could just do seasonal employment and survive. The only folks I know who do that are retired snowbirds doing it for fun and not the money.

There is a program just over the summer. However, you have to do the full CP first to be able to do the program (it's just for CP alumni now). Also, they don't do it every summer- they aren't doing it this summer

xo0ally
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the help everyone it really cleared things up!

Buttercup
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm Canadian so things are a little trickier as far as getting seasonal employment in the USA.

My mom has a place in Florida, not too far from WDW and she stays there 6 months out of the year just as snowbird. I'd like to do the same thing when I retire -- get a nice place in Florida to spend the winters, only I'd also like to get a seasonal job at WDW just for fun. I wonder if they sponsor Canadians to work there on a seasonal basis, or if they only hire US citizens... :confused:

sportsguy2315
06-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm Canadian so things are a little trickier as far as getting seasonal employment in the USA.

My mom has a place in Florida, not too far from WDW and she stays there 6 months out of the year just as snowbird. I'd like to do the same thing when I retire -- get a nice place in Florida to spend the winters, only I'd also like to get a seasonal job at WDW just for fun. I wonder if they sponsor Canadians to work there on a seasonal basis, or if they only hire US citizens... :confused:

When I worked on the CP, I knew a couple Canadian CM's. More often than not, you'd become a cultural rep and work in the Canadian pavilion. It's similar to the CP, but its a year commitment.

joanna71985
06-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Internationals don't have to only do the year-long program (there are shorter programs as well).

PeterPan
06-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Also - speaking as a Dad - the last of May is a little late to be inquiring about a summer job at Walt Disney World. Especially on the College Program. My daughter did this and it takes weeks if not months of planning to get the College Program under way. Plan ahead!