PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just want to eat as you go!

DonaldDuckUSA
05-29-2012, 11:38 AM
How concerned should I be about making TS ADRs for our trip during the value season in Feb? I know its always wise to plan ahead, but sometimes you just want to fly by the seat of your pants.

We went to Disney early May 2012. We did make ADRs for some places, but on some days we would pass by a place that looked nice and we just happened to be hungry. But of course, we were unable to get in.

I understand that we went during a moderatly busy time. If we went during the value season do you imagine there will be a higer sucess rate of walk ups, or is it always busy?

I'm not talking about Victoria & Alberts, Chef Mickeys, Le Cel., or any of the signature resturants. Just regular TS. I also understand that it just depends. For example, it's probably easier to eat when there is not a rush, or for lunch rather than dinner.

Just wondering if you guys had any insight?

SBETigg
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
If you had your heart set on any particular restaurant, especially the big hard-to-get ones like 'Ohana, then I would recommend ADRs. But otherwise, as long as you're willing to see what's available and not set on one particular dining experience, I think you will be fine. There's almost always something available.

mook3y
05-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Sometimes eating dinner a little early can help. We had reservations but stopped by Le Cellier at 4:30 on our last trip and amazingly enough, they were able to fitu us in! They told us that sometimes they can fit someone in before the dinner rush.

faline
05-29-2012, 12:24 PM
For our trip a few weeks ago, I made only one dining reservation before leaving home. All our other meals were same day reservations or walk-ups (except Le Cellier which I made after we arrived but a couple of days ahead of time).

We were able to walk-up to Rose n Crown for lunch and Sci Fi Dine-In - also for lunch. We were able to secure same day reservations for Citrico's, Coral Reef, The Plaza, Il Mulino, and Kona Cafe - I'm blanking out on where else we dined.

Disney Hungarian
05-29-2012, 12:26 PM
I was at WDW in February and just got back from a trip this month. I would also say that an ADR is only needed for the hard to get places. I was able to walk up and get seated at most of the restaurants I decided to eat at. A couple of times I did go to the Guest Relations and just ask what they had available within the next hour. I was always asked which restaurant I wanted, because almost all of them in the parks had availability.
Walking through Epcot my mother decided she wanted to eat in France. I checked availability on my phone and it only had one or two slots at odd times available. The earliest available was a couple of hours away. I walked to France and asked at the podium and was taken directly to a table. The place was empty. This was at 12:30.
I rather enjoy not having to make ADRs anymore.

DonaldDuckUSA
05-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I rather enjoy not having to make ADRs anymore.

Right? Our trip in May was the first time we made them. Usually its just DBF and me and we're able to manuver and plan quickly, but this time his family joined us. I thought it would help our trip run smoother. To some extent, it did, but it was also not a lot of fun to work around.

AgentC
05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I usually do an ADR for the places I know my kids really want (character meals) that are hard to get same day.

I do schedule one ADR a day, but a lot of the time I do it same day on my phone once we get to the park. It allows us to be flexible but not worry that everything is gone. One issue with the phone app though is the credit card hold. If you want a place with the hold, you need to call, go to guest services or use the full dining site on line.

For the most part we have had no problem in Feb finding lots of place to eat with very little notice.

1DisneyNut
05-29-2012, 12:47 PM
We made ADR's for a trip a couple of years ago when we got the free dining and we hated it. On the second day, I cancelled the ADR's for the rest of the week and just found a place to eat each day for the remainder of our trip. We found it a huge inconvenience planning our day around dining reservations and worrying about being there on time. We will never do ADR's again.

EJS-Houston
05-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm so glad to hear you all say that! The last several trips I've made reservations for every night, and they restaurants were all good...but I felt locked into a schedule all the time. We HAD to be at EPCOT by this time in the evening to make our reservation there. Plus, I live in a town with amazing/inexpensive dining in any cuisine you can think of...so I'm really not coming to DisneyWorld for the dining experiences. So I've been thinking that on my next trip I would only make 1, maybe 2, reservations and the rest of the time wing it with counter service, walk-ins and the International Food Festival in EPCOT. Now I feel resolved to do it that way. Thanks all!

PETE FROM NYC
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
I also do not think of WDW as a fine dining experience, but we all have to eat.
Our last 2 trips were in Septembers, and we got walk-ins at 50s Prime Time, and Garden Grill only. Every other place turned us away.

buzznwoodysmom
05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
In the past we've made most of our daily ADRs way ahead of time. However, I find that on each trip I book less and less ADRs ahead of time.

The exception would be our Christmas trip last year. I knew it would be busy and places would fill up quickly so I booked to make sure we had nice places to eat during our trip.

We'll be there in late July/early August and I've only made two ADRs. One for Ohana's because it's a must do for us on our first night and I know there is little to no chance of us getting in as a walk up. And we booked Chef Mickey's for breakfast one morning, just to ensure we have a character breakfast. Everything else I'll just let fall into place.

If there are any places you have your heart set on then I'd suggest making the ADR. Other than that I think "winging" it can be funner than having to stick to a schedule of meals.

Disney Doll
05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I usually just book one or two meals ahead of time and wing it from there. We've loved the Disney Mobile Magic app for making same day ressies. We usually check what's available about and hour or two before meal time and then we can make our ADR with the app. Usually there are several choices with same day availability. As long as you don't have your heart set on one particular restaurant you should be fine.

MissMaryPoppins
05-29-2012, 05:23 PM
ThIs is exactly what we've always done. If we woke up on the morning we were going to a park and decided we'd like to eat at a table service restaurant, we would call the reservation line, see what was available, and work our day around it. Otherwise we would just walk around and see what we could get. We never had problems when we did this but we also went into the parks open for anything.

MargaretMessler
05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
I have been to WDW closing in on ten times, all at various times of year. I have never once made an ADR before we left home, and never once have I been shut out someplace I wanted to eat. I tend to eat at off hours, and the largest party I was travelling with was three, so that may be of help. I would say just check things out at you go along, look through the park maps they give you at check in and if you see someplace that looks good, and you definitely want to try it, make an ADR before you leave for the day or as soon as you get to the park. Something highly popular maybe you want to lock it in ahead, as others have said, if it's a trip breaker.

LudwigVonDrake
05-29-2012, 06:34 PM
I only make 2 or 3 ADRs a trip and the rest of the time I eat as I go :eat:

BrerGnat
05-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Our last two trips, we have spent a week there and made NO ADR's. Actually, I can't say we didn't MAKE any ADR's. What I should say is that we cancelled the ones we did make, and had NO issues eating where we wanted at the last minute.

If you have a smart phone, use www.m.disneyworld.com and use the "dining" finder. You can see what's available right up to the last minute, and make reservations from your phone (or just show up, knowing that they have availability). Love this feature, and we used it frequently on our recent trips. I'm probably never making an advanced ADR again...

FWIW, we were there the week before Christmas and the week before Easter on our past two trips.

SandmanGStefani24
05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I just wing it, as my usual vacation attitude dictates. The only times I made reservations was for Bistro De Paris, as I knew the seating was limited and for Rose and Crown since it is popular. Those two off my list, I just eat what looks good, whenever I happen to come across it. Spontaneity is part of the fun for my WDW trips. That's actually how I found the best ham and cheese croissant ever! :cloud9:

Fastpasssteve
05-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Certain places require a reservation: Chef Mickey can be very crowded for breakfast or dinner. 'Ohana is a beast to get in for dinner.

Some places you can walk up: San Angel Inn, Biergarten, Chefs of France, The Rose & Crown.

Here's my rule: If I would be heartbroken if I didn't get in, I make a reservation.

There's no harm in making reservations and then, once you know your plan for the day, you call and cancel your reservation so other people can have your table. Please be courteous. There's someone on the phone at all times who want your discarded reservation. Many thanks.

garymacd
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
When it has been just my beloved and I, we have done as others suggest and not been fussy about which restaurant and time. We have walked up to many TS restaurants at 4:30 and been seated immediately.

The beauty of this plan is that by the time we get back to POFQ later in the evening, we are hungry enough for a nice plate of beignets.

We haven't chanced this the last few trips since our daughters, a niece and a stray boyfriend/fiance have been with us and we didn't want to take chances on a walk-up table for six.

I wish they would bring back the reservation service they had at the old Communicore at EPCOT years ago. You could walk up to a phone and find restaurants that had availability on the spur of the moment. So much nicer than walking from country to country until you lit on one you liked and could accomodate you. I wonder if they have this at Guest Services? Have to check that out next time.