PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection

Urbss
05-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Has anyone ever purchased hearing protection for infant/toddlers?

My DS will be a little over 1 when we go this November and I was wondering if this is something we should think about before planning on Fantasmic, Illuminations, etc.

I don't even know if a small child of that age range would keep something like that on.

Thanks,
Tom

kakn7294
05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
We've never used anything but it's not a bad idea, especially if you have a child who frightens easily at loud noises. The "magic ears" might make a huge difference. Try to avoid anything that is small enough to be swallowed if you happen to look away for that split second that it takes for kids to do crazy things.

faline
05-28-2012, 06:29 PM
My brother bought hearing protection for his son who was 4 on his last visit. He didn't like fireworks due to the loud noise and was able to wear the earphones if he wanted. By the end of the trip, he no longer found the fireworks booms disturbing and did without them.

Urbss
05-28-2012, 06:54 PM
We've never used anything but it's not a bad idea, especially if you have a child who frightens easily at loud noises. The "magic ears" might make a huge difference. Try to avoid anything that is small enough to be swallowed if you happen to look away for that split second that it takes for kids to do crazy things.

What are "Magic Ears"?

kakn7294
05-28-2012, 07:29 PM
What are "Magic Ears"?

As far as I know, there's no brand by that name. My daughter used the term to describe her headphones when she used them to conquer riding Everest when she was afraid several years ago. Sorry for any confusion!

Pirate Granny
05-28-2012, 08:25 PM
We used foam ear plugs. Worked well for our DGS and DGD that don't appreciate loud Booms. :cloud9:

Georgesgirl1
05-28-2012, 08:31 PM
We tried kid sized ear plugs when ODS was 20 months old. That didn't go over so well. He just kept trying to pull them out and still screamed at the loud noises. After that we just started covering his ears with our hands during the fireworks and he eventually learned to put his own fingers in his ears. At 3, the fireworks shows at Disney are still too intense for him because of the amount of fireworks that go off in a short span of time. The last time we were there, my dad took him into the baby care center at Epcot to watch a cartoon so that we could watch the fireworks with YDS (who could care less about the loud noises)!

i'm grumpy
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Everything did seem so loud this trip. DJ at DTD outside WOD, people and CMs screaming!!
:mad:

A Big Kid
05-28-2012, 09:44 PM
We find that he headphone type hearing protection made our little one the most comfortable. Not only for the fireworks but for shows that can get loud like philaharmagic, airel, fantastic, etc.

squad51
05-29-2012, 12:37 AM
My oldest son who suffers from a form of autism has a set of noise canceling earmuffs. You can get them from a home improvement store or a tool supply store. He wears them to sporting events, concerts, and anywhere else there may be loud noise. They work great. We tried the foam and found them to be too large for his ears. The muffs work the best and only cost about $15-$30. I'd go with that.