PDA

View Full Version : Wildfires Near Walt Disney World

jennsky
05-26-2012, 03:26 PM
This is a story we are running on our news today:

A wildfire burning in Orlando is blowing heavy smoke near the busy hotel and attractions at Walt Disney World. The smoke also closed a section of Orlando's main highway in the city's tourist district for a couple hours Friday as the billowing smoke cut down visibility. No injuries or damage have been reported. The smoke is dying down but the fire is still burning.

----

Anyone there that can update the situation?

Strmchsr
05-26-2012, 04:38 PM
The fire was at I-4 and International Drive. No issue with the parks, but a MAJOR traffic headache. The local authorities are deeming the fire "suspicious." It's all under control.

Dyanna
05-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Here in NY on the news they reported it as a "intentional controlled fire" they just happen to lose control of it once they started.

joanna71985
05-26-2012, 08:27 PM
It wasn't a controlled fire.

I do have to say it was a MAJOR pain! Coming home from work, a normally 10 minute drive took me TWO HOURS =/

Main Street Jim
05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Trying to think of where "I-4 and International Drive" would be; up by Universal/Wet 'n Wild? International Drive runs parallel to I-4.

I know where I-4 and 535/536, 192, and Kirkman all are.

Strmchsr
05-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Here's the article from WFTV in Orlando (maybe this will give you a better idea Jim):

RANGE COUNTY, Fla. —

Orange County fire crews continue to monitor a brush fire that closed I-4 near International Drive on Friday.

The brush fire sent heavy smoke up in the International Drive area and closed both directions of I-4 Friday afternoon.

I-4 was closed in both directions between S.R 192 and S.R 535 while firefighters battled the blaze.

The interstate reopened around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

According to Kim Montes, of the Florida Highway Patrol, drivers coming eastbound on I-4 were forced to exit the interstate at SR 417. Tolls were suspended.

Westbound traffic was forced off of I-4 at SR 528 (the Beachline), tolls on that road were suspended as well, Montes said.

International Drive was closed for a time in the area as well.

Here’s a look at alternate southbound routes:

When you exit at the Beachline, take it eastbound to southbound John Young Parkway.
SR-417 southbound will get you back to I-4

If you're trying to make it to Orlando:

When you exit at SR-417, take northbound John Young Parkway
Take JYP to westbound SR-528 to get back onto I-4 to downtown Orlando

Firefighters from Orange County, Osceola County and the Division of Forestry battled the blaze in the area of World Center Drive.
Approximately fifteen acres burned, according to a spokesman from the fire service.
According to Orange County Fire Rescue no buildings were in danger.
Forestry officials said high winds in the area made it a difficult fire to fight.

joanna71985
05-27-2012, 07:48 PM
One section that was closed was the road leading up to Gaylord Palms (just past the intersection between Pop Century and WWoS). Unfortunately that's the road I take to go home

Ian
05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
This was a serious mess! It had traffic backed up on Buena Vista drive all the way down past the Boardwalk and DHS!

joanna71985
05-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I ended up having to go around the back of MK because of the traffic =/