PDA

View Full Version : Rank the DHS Counter Service Restaurants

OneLittleSpark
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
How would you rank the DHS counter service food spots? Rank those you've been to (and those with extra time on their hands could also rank their interest in those they haven't hit yet) in order of enjoyment.

If you're a little foggy on some of the spots I found a cool resource which has pictures, background info, etc. on the all the eateries.(Google Studio Central) Enjoy!:

- Backlot Express
- Starring Rolls Bakery
- Min and Bill's Dockside Diner
- Peevy's Polar Pipeline
- Studio Catering Co.
- Toy Story Pizza Planet
- Tune In Lounge
- Fairfax Fare
- Writer's Stop
- Toluca Legs Turkey Company
- Hollywood Scoops
- Rosie's All American Cafe
- Herbie's Drive-In
- Oasis Canteen
- Hey Howdy Hey! Takeaway
- Anaheim Produce
- Catalina Eddie's
- Backlot Catering
- ABC Commissary
- Tower of Terror Coffee & Speciality Drinks

I'll post my own thoughts a little down the road. I did, however, write a review on ABC Commissary a few years ago (PM me for the link) with fellow board member AmandaChan (http://intercot.com/discussion/member.php?u=27010).

Ms. Mode
05-25-2012, 11:45 AM
1. Starring Rolls (lunch): Sandwiches are great!
2. Backlot Catering: Something different for lunch.
3. Min & Bill's Dockside: Love those little corn dogs.

Last, Dead Last: ABC Commissary, I don't know why but I just don't like this place..very UN-Disney to me. :mickey:

Disney Doll
05-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Starring Rolls- near the top, not much you can do to mess up a sandwich.

ABC Commissary- somewhere in the middle unless you plan to order their curry in which case I would put it at the very bottom because it's horrid.

Any snack counter- near the top, you are always safe with prepackaged snacks, drinks, popcorn, ice cream, or fruit.

Pizza Planet- near the bottom. Pizza is not good, but it's a fun theme for kids.

Fairfax Fare- Near the top, edible food that isn't a burger. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
I haven't eaten at all of them, but of those, I'd rank them all lower than a 2am visit to a Taco Bell/Long John Silvers take out window.

ElenitaB
05-25-2012, 08:12 PM
We actually enjoy Backlot Express. We don't often eat at fast food restaurants at home, so the burgers/fries, the chicken strips (or nuggets) (if I'm eating meat) or the veggie sandwich are a treat; we've always found the food to be well prepared. They also have a modest fixings bar and refillable soft drinks.

We haven't had much luck at the Commissary. And the Studio Catering Company has changed its menu since we were last there, so I can't speak to it.

Never was really interested or in the neighborhood of the other CS locations, though Starring Rolls has quite a following for its ginormous sandwiches and cupcakes.

darthmacho
05-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Wow, I didn't even know there were all of these QS places in DHS, and I generally study all of my options. I think the reason is that we've spent only a limited time in DHS on our 5 trips, and generally have stuck with the TS choices. I hope to change that this trip and investigate some of these! Here are my thoughts on what I know:

1. Starring Rolls Bakery: I haven't been there, but it's on the agenda for the next trip. My main focus is to get my hands on one of their famous cupcakes!
2. ABC Commissary: The theming was lame, but it was comfortable, cool, and the food was better than expected when we tried this place in 2003.
3. Writer's Stop: I know we went in here in 2010, but I'm not even sure what we got...coffee maybe? Anyway, it was a cute little shop, and they had books that we browsed.

Can't say much about the rest, other than that Toy Story Planet didn't appeal to me, and that I didn't even know some of the other places existed. :blush:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-26-2012, 06:02 PM
In Order:

Starring Rolls
ABC Commissary
Backlot Catering

For Coffee and Dessert -
Writer's Stop

crltkcagle
05-27-2012, 10:48 AM
- Starring Rolls Bakery - we picked up some breakfast here one day and it was good.

- Toy Story Pizza Planet- we love pizza planet! I know most people don't but we really like the food and atmosphere.

- ABC Commissary- YAK!!! Never again!

LandFan
05-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I'd rank them all lower than a 2am visit to a Taco Bell/Long John Silvers take out window.

Yeah - me too.:( If I HAD to do a CS there I guess I would go with Backlot Express...

Instead, we prefer to pay OOP for lunch at DHS and split a burger and a shake at Sci-Fi. It comes out to about the same price if you split it and at least it is cool, dark, interesting and a pretty good burger/shake. The reubens are great too!

AmandaChan
05-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I guess I didn't mind backlot so much last time, and we used to enjoy ABC commissary but we also haven't been there in a couple years. I like that at Backlot you can refill beverages/water bottles.

Backlot
ABC
Pizza Planet - they ran after me outside and gave me a free cookie one time b/c I didn't have as much change as me as I thought (I was trying to get DS a snack really quick)..

However that turkey leg and beer was really good at Toluca...

I will try Starring Rolls next time!

i'm grumpy
05-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Pizza Planet was horrible. Over cooked and they didn't cut it all the way through. No wonder, they probably couldn't because it was so tough. I think it was last year too. Don't care if I never go there again.

Turkey sandwich at Back Lot was good and the chicken bleu sandwich at ABC was ok. I thought it was supposed to have ham on it, but not sure. The strawberry parfait was wonderful. I wonder what's in it.

I would love to go to the 50s cafe, but too expensive and not what we want to eat on a hot day.

Mickey'sGirl
05-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah - me too.:( If I HAD to do a CS there I guess I would go with Backlot Express...

Instead, we prefer to pay OOP for lunch at DHS and split a burger and a shake at Sci-Fi. It comes out to about the same price if you split it and at least it is cool, dark, interesting and a pretty good burger/shake. The reubens are great too!
Ditto ... except that we would split one of their delicious turkey sandwiches! :thumbsup:

i'm grumpy
05-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Yes, the Backlot turkey was enough to split.