PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide where to stay! Give me your recs!

kg00616
05-25-2012, 08:00 AM
We're planning a trip for early December. We want to stay on property and there will be 3 adults and 3 kids. Last time we were there (only overnight, passing through) we stayed at the Contemporary and it was gorgeous. It's definitely a contender for this time but I'm having trouble deciding. I like the monorail aspect, especially since my son was only 18 months old last time and is now 5 and obsessed with trains! I also stayed at Port Orleans as a teenager and loved taking the boat to downtown Disney but not sure that would be as exciting with 3 little kids. But I'm open to suggestions so please tell me where you've stayed and why you liked it. (No value resorts, please!)

RBrooksC
05-25-2012, 08:45 AM
We stayed at the CR last year. My son, who is six and loves trains, tell us that he wants to stay no place else because the monorail runs through the hotel.

However, I find the cost of the CR to be over what I want to pay. It was nice for a special treat but I would rather pay a slight bit less.

I would say try to Wilderness Lodge. It is Deluxe Resort Light. The rooms are smaller so that is a give. The take is a beautifully themed resort, large pool, boat launch to the CR, FW, and the MK.

Also, the cost is less than other Deluxe Resorts.

When we go back we are going to stay at the WL again. I just hope the blow-back from my son isn't too bad.

Ms. Mode
05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
I love WL also, but another thought is Animal Kingdom Lodge...they have animals! What child doesn't love that? Of course the rooms can be quite a walk from the lobby but it's worth it. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
05-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Since you have a group of 6 you will need two rooms. That can be very pricey at the Contmeporary. If you can afford it, then go with what you think your kids will enjoy the most.

If you want to save a bit of money, then I'd suggest trying Wilderness Lodge. It's a wonderful resort, but it's most beautiful in December. To me nothing says the holidays like the lobby of Wilderness Lodge.

You can always book breakfast or dinner at Chef Mickey's for your little one to see the "train" go through the hotel. If staying at WL there is a boat that takes you from the lodge to the Contemporary so getting there would be super easy.

BrerGnat
05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
My vote is also Wilderness Lodge. There is a whole room dedicated to Steam Trains over in the Villas lobby. Your 5 year old would appreciate that. It's a beautiful hotel at holiday time. I love CR too but it gets very pricey for two rooms.

gaffz70
05-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Another vote for WL here. I love the hotel, the pool, the bunkbeds, enjoy the boat road and love that it is less expensive than other deluxes. Our boys were 6 and 3 when we stayed there. My biggest regret was not having my camera ready when they walked into the lobby - their mouths were wide open - it was priceless.

Good luck!

buzznwoodysmom
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
My biggest regret was not having my camera ready when they walked into the lobby - their mouths were wide open - it was priceless.

Hahaha, the first time we stayed at WL was years ago in the month of December. My nephew was joining us on that trip. He was 9 at the time and his parents don't do "expensive" hotels when on vacation. With his jaw hanging wide open he was like "is this the hotel we are staying at.....like for the whole week??" Priceless! He was in heaven!

RBrooksC
05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
If I had to choose between the AKL and the WL, I would always go with the WL due to location. I would rather be close to the center of it all, than just close to AK.

Yes, the animals are nice but that isn't enough to pull me out that far.

ThanxForNoticin
05-25-2012, 03:40 PM
If I had to choose between the AKL and the WL, I would always go with the WL due to location. I would rather be close to the center of it all, than just close to AK.

Yes, the animals are nice but that isn't enough to pull me out that far.

I cannot disagree with WL as a recommended location here. It's a beautiful place with a decent location for people planning to spend time at MK. But I really don't think I agree with the idea that WL is at the center of it all and AKL is so remote. We've stayed at both. AKL is a very short bus ride to AK. WL is a very short boat ride to MK. After that, you're either driving or taking buses to the theme parks. I don't see a significant difference busing to EPCOT/DHS from WL or AKL.

mydisneygirls
05-25-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm with the majority---- WL. I would suggest looking into renting a villa there.

tdk316
05-25-2012, 08:41 PM
My vote is for Bay Lake Tower if you're going to rent a villa. The location can't be beat especially with the little ones as you can easily watch the fireworks from your balcony, the bridge or elevator lobby and still have the kids in bed at a decent hour and walk to/from MK. We just returned from WL and DS5 loved the pool but he missed the monorail terribly - the boat wasn't cutting it.

While we may stay at AKL at some point, I just don't see us doing it anytime soon because of the distance to where we are all the time - MK.

Pooh Fan
05-29-2012, 12:10 AM
With 3 adults and 3 kids I would consider looking at renting a DVC unit from a current member. Usually a lot less per night then renting through Disney and the amount of space will be appreciated with 6. Have only stayed at OKW and AKV in DVC units but all are beautiful from what I've seen on tours and online. Just my thougts.

diz_girl
05-29-2012, 11:22 AM
My vote is for Bay Lake Tower if you're going to rent a villa. The location can't be beat especially with the little ones as you can easily watch the fireworks from your balcony, the bridge or elevator lobby and still have the kids in bed at a decent hour and walk to/from MK.

:ditto:

We stayed in a 2BR villa at BLT in November and it was great. You can't beat the location and the villa is huge, plus the in-room laundry is a nice bonus. The one thing that I didn't realize until after we came home was how quiet it was there. We never heard our neighbors. At least half the time we were there we watched Wishes from our room. I highly recommend it.

Fastpasssteve
05-31-2012, 12:51 AM
I highly recommend the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is beautiful, luxurious, and a delight. I love the restaurants and being able to see all the animals from various vantage points. The lodge is gracious and a welcome sight at the end of a long days in the Parks.

You might enjoy an early evening with dinner and then sitting around the outdoor (or indoor) firepit. A good place to create lasting memories...and isn't that what it's all about?

johnO
06-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I think you've already decided. Sounds like you just need to stay at CR