PDA

View Full Version : Carsland Background Question

Chescat
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Got a question for you guys. When we were looking at Carsland yesterday, my husband had a question about what we were looking at. Here's a picture from the DisneyParks blog:

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/car118944LARGE.jpg

He asked are those 5 "mountain tops" actually the tail lights of cars? I didn't have an answer? :confused:

2Epcot
05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Got a question for you guys. When we were looking at Carsland yesterday, my husband had a question about what we were looking at. Here's a picture from the DisneyParks blog:

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/car118944LARGE.jpg

He asked are those 5 "mountain tops" actually the tail lights of cars? I didn't have an answer? :confused:

Yes, they are all the tail fins of Cadillacs. In the movie this is called the Cadillac Mountain range. Disney is in some dispute with GM and are not allowed to call them that at the park, though it will still be seen in print. I forget the exact years of each fin, but I believe they are all from the 50's. Someone on another site matched pictures of Cadillacs with the appropriate representation on the mountain.

Disney4us2
05-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes, they are all the tail fins of Cadillacs. In the movie this is called the Cadillac Mountain range. Disney is in some dispute with GM and are not allowed to call them that at the park, though it will still be seen in print. I forget the exact years of each fin, but I believe they are all from the 50's. Someone on another site matched pictures of Cadillacs with the appropriate representation on the mountain.

LOL... you beat me to it. That is exactly what I was told. I didn't know about the dispute with GM though.

Melanie
05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah, to me they seemed even more pronounced in the film. Love it!

2Epcot
05-24-2012, 10:14 PM
The Cadillac Mountain Range will serve as the backdrop for Cars Land, a 12-acre expansion of the theme park that will have the most rockwork ever built Disney for one project in its American theme parks.

Because of the amount of rockwork needed, Disney Imagineers developed new methods for building it.

1) Finished shape
Outline shows shape after rock work is added.
2) Scaffolding
Designed as part of superstructure, the scaffolding can be removed and replaced during each phase of construction.
3) Superstructure
4,000: Tons of steel in the rock work for the range and Radiator Springs Racers ride.
23,000: Pieces on the steel structure.
28,000: Hours to design the structural steel system for the rock work.
4) Highest peak
The 1959 Cadillac fin is 125 feet.

So according to this, 1959 fin is the highest peak. If I remember right, the others are in order of year.

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
05-25-2012, 01:16 AM
I'll just call it Berm Mountain.

:funny:

:smickey:

Chescat
05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Thank you!!!! :mickey: