PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Airlines

AirlineGuy07
05-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Knock on wood when I travel to Disney I haven't had a bad experience on any airline, but with all the add on fees, sometimes not so good customer service and varies delay's I am curious what everyones favorite and least favorite airline to get to Disney? My favorite is probably Southwest although it would be nice to have a little entertainment onboard but they get me there on time and don't have to pay for bags. I don't have a least favorite yet but if you are going to nickel and dime me on top of having my flight delayed then you will be on the top of my list. LOL

faline
05-23-2012, 06:26 PM
My favorite is the one that will fly me direct to Orlando at the lowest price I can find.

MargaretMessler
05-23-2012, 06:51 PM
I've flown Delta and US Air, not necessarily a BAD experience with either, but i do remember multiple delays with Delta. I generally fly Southwest wherever I go though, but in the past have just used whoever Disney bundled their packages with. In my research for an upcoming trip, they seem to also use Jet Blue now, but I'm am planning on booking my air independently through Southwest since it seems like the cheapest deal and I have never had a bad experience with them whenever I have flown. And can't beat the free bags, I don't like to carry anything on to the plane larger than a purse.

wdw dude
05-23-2012, 06:54 PM
I love Southwest. I've never had a bad experience with them and they've always been on time. :plane:

:mickey:

Crow
05-23-2012, 07:44 PM
SW. cause of one free checked bag. i have noticed flights are more crowded overall now though. and sometimes lining up at the ABC isnt always good. usually they are the cheapest or pretty close though

Fangorn
05-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I do a LOT of flying and hand's down, my favorite is Southwest. I've had a few flights with them where not everything went as well as it could have, but I've never had a seriously bad experience. Even when something does go awry, they at least try to make it right. Their flights depart on time and they typically arrive a few minutes early. Their people are great, know how to smile, get the job done but don't take themselves so seriously that they can't have a bit of fun in the process.

Least favorite is a much harder question. Delta, United, Continental and USAir are all tied for worst IMHO, with American only slightly better. If forced to choose one as "worst", I'd go with Untied (and yes the transposition of letters is intentional). I have never flown them when there wasn't a major problem (not weather related) and extremely surly personnel.

Steve

Madame Leona
05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
We've been flying Delta lately. Even with the baggage fees, it's been the best deal around our area.
I really don't care for Spirit. Lots of hidden fees, flight delays and flight cancellations.
It seems like good experiences are regional. I would love to fly Southwest but out of Detroit Metro, it's expensive and there aren't any nonstop flights. I really don't like to fly so one take off and landing are enough for me :blush:

sassafras
05-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I like SW and never had a bad experience until we came back from Disney about 3 weeks ago. We had the stewardess from H_ _ _! Never had one with such an attitude before! Just an overall nasty attitude! That being said, I'm getting ready to relocate back to the Indy area, and SW has NO direct flights from there to Orlando anymore. Since I don't really want to go to Baltimore or Kansas City first, I guess I'll be flying Airtran direct and pay for my baggage!

DizneyRox
05-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Best: Southwest
Worst: Delta

Ed
05-24-2012, 08:13 AM
That being said, I'm getting ready to relocate back to the Indy area, and SW has NO direct flights from there to Orlando anymore. Since I don't really want to go to Baltimore or Kansas City first, I guess I'll be flying Airtran direct and pay for my baggage!

Remember that Southwest and AirTran are essentially the same company now; eventually, the AirTran name and policies will be going away, and everything will be Southwest.

BTW, Crow - SW allows TWO free bags.

My favorite = Southwest, hands down. :thumbsup:

My unfavorite = Spirit. :ack:

Kenny1113
05-24-2012, 08:45 AM
My favorite is the one that will fly me direct to Orlando at the lowest price I can find.

:ditto: except not necessarily Orlando (too clase to fly), anywhere I need to go.

LandFan
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Also Southwest :thumbsup: for many of the reasons mentioned above but also because you can change your flights anytime and there are no change fees!

I just changed my one flight too MCO to a later departure time - no fee : ) I also changed my return flight (well, really, just re-booked the same flight again) because the price dropped and I saved $50 for future use on my next trip with them!

And you can do it ALL ONLINE EASILY!!

LOVE THAT!

Princess'Mom
05-24-2012, 12:49 PM

:thumbsup: We changed our mind about driving to WDW last week and got a GREAT deal on Jet Blue, non-stop to MCO.
Can't wait! :D

DonLefNY
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Southwest is my favorite. I watch movies on my iPad for entertainment.

ThanxForNoticin
05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Another vote for Southwest as our favorite. Also, another vote for Spirit as our least favorite. In fact, we won't fly them anymore - very mediocre service, and they nickel and dime you with charges for just about everything. No thanks....

Nini
05-24-2012, 04:49 PM
jetBlue!!

Direct from Syracuse to Orlando. TV for everybody, larger seats, newer A320's...no reason to fly anyone else!

Denise

MissMaryPoppins
05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
My favorite airline was Song which was a small Delta affiliate. They were very similar to Jet Blue and they had very roomy seats, friendly crews, they had a nice sized cocktail menu and lots of snack/soft drink options. When you got on the plane music was playing and the flight attendants made going over the safety instructions as entertaining as possible. When they were gone I began using Jet Blue. I like the airline, never had a bad experience and few unavoidable delays. Plus I can always get direct flights at a good price. The only airline I had an issue with was Spirit. They were unprofessional, there was duct tape all over the cabin, the flight attendants were rude, and when we landed at Orlando the plane wouldn't connect to the jetway. We sat on the plane for over an hour while one of those stair things were brought over so we could get out.

mydisneygirls
05-24-2012, 10:51 PM
I loved Song...too bad they are gone! I used to fly Delta but no more, especially since you have to pay for bags to fly. We've taken Southwest and liked them but my favorite is JetBlue. First bag free and you're allowed one carry on for each person and the tv's, which makes the flight go faster...especially since I hate flying. I just wish Southwest had tv's too!

E-OR
05-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Worst-Frontier
Best-Alaska

ryca1dreams
05-25-2012, 04:46 PM
American usually has the best rate/schedule from DFW so they're the best choice. I've had good no-frills service from them.

CuteAsMinnie
05-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Favorite, Southwest Airlines

Least favorite, anything else

Non stop prices Chicago to Orlando can't be beat. No baggage fees (2 free bags/person I think? We travel light.). With a 2 1/2 hour flight we can stay occupied with the iPods, iPads, good old fashion book, conversations and a cat nap. Download a movie on an iPad or bring along a portable DVD player (do they still make them) and there ya go! Did I mention a variety of snacks is fun! :secret:

AmandaChan
05-27-2012, 09:45 AM

i know right? direct flights are becoming harder to find..

SandmanGStefani24
05-27-2012, 03:40 PM
gotta agree with the direct thing.

both JetBlue and Southwest take me directly, so those are my picks. JetBlue by far though is my favorite. Newer jets, free in flight entertainment, and always on time. JetBlue rocks!

Least favorite airline is American. BOO!:down:
Every time I have flown with them I have ended up stranded in a city I wasn't trying to get to and lost countless hours of vacation or rest time. I refuse to fly with them ever. How unfortunate for this proud American to say...

pink
05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
JetBlue is by far my favorite. When I fly with them it is common for the flights to arrive early or right on time. They did lose my bag once but they recovered it, gave me a gift card and delivered the bag to my door the next morning. :mickey:

badkitty
05-29-2012, 12:24 PM
For me, most everything is at least one stop. I have flown Delta a lot for work so the loyality gets me a free bag.

For those of you who love Southwest, how do you deal with not knowing your seat assignment? The cattle call "ABC" would drive me crazy. That is one more stress I don't need, trying to keep the family seated in the same area.

Gator
05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
For those of you who love Southwest, how do you deal with not knowing your seat assignment? The cattle call "ABC" would drive me crazy. That is one more stress I don't need, trying to keep the family seated in the same area.

Amen. I've flown on them a few times simply because their prices have been lower than others, PLUS free bags. But if I could fly with someone else for a similar price and get to pick my seats, I would. I'll probably be going SW again since I have some vouchers. Money talks.

jakeybake
05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
JetBlue hands down!!

We love the TV's, the friendly flight staff and the customer service. Also, every time I have flown on JetBlue (always direct to Orlando) we have landed earlier then the expected time.

Last December we landed 35 minutes early! It doesn't get any better then that!

Jay

MargaretMessler
05-31-2012, 07:06 PM

It actually doesn't bother me at all. Airports are crowded, and there is always the gaggle of peoplem who feel the need to hover around the gate despite being in a rear row, etc. I just make sure I check in right at the 24 hour mark, and if I don't think I will have that opportunity I pay the extra $10 to have a preassigned boarding #. I have never had an issue with getting seats together, always am able to grab an aisle or window seat.

As someone else said, it's all about the $$ sometimes, and if I can save the extra expense of a higher fair and paid bags to spend while I'm on vacation, I'm cool with all else.

MargaretMessler
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
JetBlue hands down!!

We love the TV's, the friendly flight staff and the customer service. Also, every time I have flown on JetBlue (always direct to Orlando) we have landed earlier then the expected time.

Last December we landed 35 minutes early! It doesn't get any better then that!

Jay

I noticed that WDW is packaging with JetBlue now, and I have always heard good reviews so I may check it out. Problem is, money wise, it is still cheaper for me to book Southwest independently of my WDW package. I wonder how JetBlue fares compare...

amorillo
06-02-2012, 11:50 AM
another vote for jetblue. we used them for the first time last year. comfy seats, newer planes, in-chair tvs on every seat! my 3 & 1 year old girls were completely entertained and quiet the entire flight! the staff was very friendly & we arrived almost 20 minutes early! :cloud9: we've already booked with them again for our upcoming october trip!

ThanxForNoticin
06-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Seating on SW is definitely different, but once you understand how the process works, it's really not a problem. Just make sure you check in 24 hours in advance, or use the Early Bird option, and you'll have no problem getting a good seat on the flight. Calling people for "A", "B", or "C" boarding isn't much different from the "Zone" boarding many of the airlines do.