PDA

View Full Version : Flowers and Gardens - Oh MY!! (Part 8)

faline
05-22-2012, 06:51 PM
When – May 3 – 13, 2012
Who – Gene & Linda
Where – Beach Club Villas
Plan for the Day:
Animal Kingdom
Dinner at Palio at the Swan if available
Date: Saturday, May 12, 2012
Weather:
Boston – Nice and in the 70s
Orlando – Sunny and hot with a listed high in the upper 80s
Miles – 6.48 miles

Again, we do not stick with the plan for the day. We decide we’ve done all we find important at Animal Kingdom for this trip so, instead, will head back to Epcot. We walk over after breakfast in the room. We’ve not done Soarin’ yet this trip so we head there first and get a fast pass. With our fast passes secured, we head over to Living the Land which we had previously skipped over due to the length of the line. We are seated behind a family which includes a boy somewhere between 8 and 11 years old. He is seated on the far left. All through the ride, he continues to lean way out of the boat on the left, stand up and touch items as they pass. He even scoops up a handful of the sand from the greenhouse area. Several times, a woman speaks over the loudspeaker warning that everyone must remain seated and must keep hands and arms inside the boat at all times. The adults appear oblivious that these announcements are directed at their son and their family. Never once is the child admonished or asked to change his behavior by either of the adults with him. It’s a most disconcerting ride and I don’t feel I really was able to enjoy it with this distraction. Since it’s still early in the day, we suspect Spaceship:Earth will have a line. It does but, since we’ve not yet done it, we get on line. The line moves relatively quickly and we begin our ride within 15 minutes. We’ve also not been on Mission:Space so head over there. Wow! The line for both the orange and green sides is listed as 80 minutes!! We head over to get fast passes. A cast member there informs us that the ride is actually a walk on and the 80 minute listed time is a glitch in the system they are trying to fix. She is right – both sides are a walk on though we have selected the less intense side. Once we have safely landed on Mars, we take a different sort of flight – turning in our fast passes to go Soarin’.

Since we’re already in the Land, we decide we’ll eat lunch at Sunshine Seasons. I select a roasted chicken while Gene gets a ham and cheese sandwich. Once lunch is complete, we decide to cross over the park once more though I forget why. Along the way, we walk through Innoventions and find that the Disney Visa picture session will soon begin. We get on the short line though, by time it actually opens around 10 minutes later, the line behind us is quite long We have our picture taken with Mickey, Minnie and Goofy and receive a coupon for our free print.

I don’t remember where we went from there – perhaps to look through Mouse Gears (where we did not purchase anything) and then headed over to the Canadian pavilion as we had not yet seen the film with Martin Short yet. After our tour of Canada, we decide to return to the Beach Club.

Gene does not want to go swimming so we relax for a bit at home. I use one of the bath bombs I purchased the other day at Downtown Disney. While soaking, I also pour a generous glass of wine – the last of the bottle we had purchased in Italy earlier in the week.

While there, I am able to secure reservations at Bistro de Paris – probably not the best choice at this point in time. As we re-enter Epcot, I realize we never went over to the camera shop to get our free print so decide we will do that after dinner. To really enjoy dinner at Bistro, one should be prepared for a leisurely meal which includes appetizers, entrée, dessert and wine. We were not ready for a large meal this evening and we were not in the mood for wine after having consumed a bottle the evening before not to mention the glass I’d had a bit earlier that afternoon. We end up ordering only entrees which were quite good. I had the seared scallops while Gene had the steak dish. Given that we did not have an appetizer and were too full for a dessert at the time, it did not take us long to finish our meal.

Gene wanted to see the performance times for Herman’s Hermits (whom we’ve seen perform before) so we head off in that direction. One show is complete and they are loading for another to begin in about 15 minutes. Given the lines of folks we see waiting to get in, it’s clear that the theater will be full to overflowing. We continue on towards the camera shop. The park is very busy this evening. It’s still 1-1/2 half hours until Illuminations and folks are already staking out spots for the show. Plus, it’s rather windy this evening which might be a problem depending on where you’re standing. Given the crowds and the wind, we decide we’ll not stay for tonight’s show.

Once at the camera shop, we need to stand on line about 15 minutes before we can pick our print from the 3 shots that were taken that afternoon. We have Goofy’s, Mickey’s and Minnie’s signatures added. The print is printed for us and we are on our way. We trek back to the International Gateway. Since I had not picked up a package from a purchase I had made a couple of days ago, we head over to the store. That only takes a couple of minutes and we are soon back in our room.

I pull out the largest of the bags and do some packing. I’m able to organize some other things but will leave the remainder of the packing until morning. After all, I want to spend some time enjoying our balcony one last evening. We do this and eat the cholocolate mousse we had purchased for dessert the evening before but had not eaten.

Plan for the Day:
Magic Kingdom
Lunch at the Grand Floridian Café
Fly home
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2012
Weather:
Boston – Sunny with highs in the 70s
Orlando – In the 80s but with clouds moving in and possibly rain later this evening
Miles – 3.83 by time we are on board our plane for the trip home

It has pretty much been our tradition to spend whatever park time we have on our last day at the Magic Kingdom ending with lunch at the Grand Floridian Café. On this day, we throw tradition aside and decide, instead, to return to Epcot. Since it’s Mother’s Day, I suspect the Magic Kingdom will be mobbed. Also, I don’t want to feel rushed with getting transportation back to our resort. If we go to Epcot, we can walk back when we’re ready and not deal with the busses. Still, it feels strange to not have the opportunity to see the Castle one last time before we leave.

The first order of the day is to finish our packing. Once this is completed, we drag the two large bags down to the airline checkin desk. This only takes a few minutes. We return to our room, make one more check to make sure nothing was left behind. We then take our carryon bags to bell services and ask that they be stored until we are ready to leave later in the day. I had not checked my e-mail so did not see my checkout documents so we stop at the desk. Also, we wanted to cash a travelers check so we’d have cash on hand for needed tips etc as we make our way home.

Our next stop is the quick service restaurant. We each have egg and cheese croissant omelettes – Gene adds the ham to his. We also order small coffees. The woman at the register wishes me a Happy Mother’s day and then asks if I am a mother. After we pay, we ask about the coffee cups. She says she forgot to charge us for the coffee – tells us it’s not a problem – hands us the cups – and again wishes a Happy Mother’s Day – so we got free coffees with our breakfast!

I’m able to secure reservations at Coral Reef so we will go there for lunch.

We head into Epcot. We’ve pretty much covered everything here so we’ll repeat a few things this day. We start by visiting Nemo and then spend a bit of time watching the manatees. We take a much more pleasant ride on Living with the Land. We have not visited with Ellen this trip so take in Ellen’s Energy Adventure. (I found myself napping through most of energy educational pieces but I have already seen this show numerous times.) There is a line again today for Spaceship:Earth but it is smaller than the line we stood in the day before so we repeat this. When we exit, it is time for our reservation at Coral Reef so we head there.

We check in and are seated within a few minutes. In all the times, I’ve eaten here, we’ve never ever been seated next to the tank and never even on the first level by the tank. Did you think I was going to tell you this time was different? If so, you’d be wrong – no difference. We are seated on the top level – farthest from the tank. A window seat may not have been that exciting on this trip. Except for a shark or two circling around, there were very few fish in sight during our entire meal. I think I saw a ray swim by once. The only other fish that ventured to this area of the tank were smaller but not very great in abundance. At the beginning of the meal, I had thought about ordering cream brulee for dessert since I had not had one and do like them very much. But – by time I finished my meal, I was far too full to also have dessert. Oh well! Next trip! Gene had the salmon and I had the pork. Both were very good.

By time we exited the restaurant, it was pretty cloudy out. Weather reports had indicated that moisture was going to move in later today from the gulf. Guess this is the leading edge. We head into Mexcio and ride the Gran Fiesta Tour. I think this was the first ride we did this trip. It might be fitting that it be the last as well.

faline
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
As we re-enter World Showcase, it begins to sprinkle a bit here and there. Great! Rain wasn’t supposed to start until later so the umbrellas are safely ensconced in the checked luggage. Except for some spitting here and there, the weather holds and we do not get wet and do not need to purchase a third set of Mickey umbrellas! We had taken some items with us that we do not normally carry into the parks this day so had gotten a locker to stow them. On the way out, we retrieve our items and our key deposit and continue on to the Beach Club.

We still have a while until our driver picks us up so we find a comfy place to sit in the lobby. About a half hour before our scheduled pick up time, we have our stored bags brought out. Our driver arrives about 15 minutes later and we are on the way to the airport.

As is usual for Orlando, getting through security is a bit of a slow process. Still, we find that they are not requiring that computers be put into separate bins as Boston requires. The only things we need to pull out are our quart bags. They even allow children and those over 75 to keep their shoes on. Once we are through security we head to the tram. Only one is in operation. When the doors open, only a few people have boarded when the doors start to close. We are halfway on. A woman with a long stroller has entered in front of us. Most of the car to the left and right of her is empty. But she wanted to stroll straight in and stand in front of the exit door so she can stroll straight out. This puts her in the position of blocking us from entering the car. When I ask her to move, she indicates she is unable to do so which requires that we literally push around her to enter the mostly empty tram.

Once off the tram, we hike to our gate. Hmmm…There’s a plane scheduled for New York there which hasn’t even boarded yet. Sure enough, they change our gate from gate 23 to gate 25. No biggie – the new gate is just across the way from other. Our flight arrives but it’s a flight from Jamaica so it’s international. We’re told our boarding will be delayed by their late arrival and the need to do additional security sweeps due to the out of country origin of the flight.

When the flight begins boarding, I’m surprised that they announce boarding for all rows immediately after the extra leg room rows . Turns out, they didn’t mean that. They meant to say they were boarding all rows for those travelling with strollers and children. We move aside to allow those with strollers to squeeze through. Since so many of us were in line to board already, they give up announcing rows as soon as all the stroller folks are boarded and we are all allowed on.

Despite the late start, we are still told we’ll have an on-time arrival in Boston. We do LAND early but since we have to cross over a couple of active runways and the lane to our gate is full of planes waiting to move onto the runways, it takes a while to get to our gate.

It takes a while for the luggage to begin spewing out. I think our bags were one of the last to appear - most of the folks that had flown in with us had already dispersed. We get the shuttle back to the car lot, stow the bags in the trunk, and drive home.

The end.

wildernesslady
05-22-2012, 09:47 PM
You had a great trip. I love being able to change up plans. When are you planning to return? I always enjoy your reports.

January-2007
05-22-2012, 10:17 PM
The end.

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us!!

DisneyBarb
05-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Sounds like another great trip! Sad that its over, as I enjoy your reports!

Were the crowd levels as you expected for May?

Joannelet
05-23-2012, 06:01 AM
I am still boiling from the boy and family on The Living with the Land ride!!!! The workers there cannot touch the sand either as it destroys every plant in there. It slowly kills them all as the sand becomes contaminated. Seriously what was wrong with his parents? This infuriates me!
Other than that your last days there sounded so pleasant! I am so glad you had a great time but sad your trip reports are over. I enjoyed reading them all! Thanks for all of your wonderful reports! One more little question: Does the Visa meet and greet give one free photo all of the time? If so I had no idea!

slegrant
05-23-2012, 08:52 AM
I so enjoyed reading your post, I felt I was right there! I am going the end of June and can't wait. Thanks for the report:mickey:

faline
05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
When are you planning to return? I always enjoy your reports.

Thank you. We're hoping to be there for the Intercot meet but are currently tentative for a variety of reasons.

shadowden
05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
What a wonderful trip! Makes me feel all the more anxious for our next trip in Sept.

Thanks for all the details in the report. I always like reading the details.

faline
05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Were the crowd levels as you expected for May?

We've been a number of times at this time of year. This year, the crowds were quite a bit heavier than they were during other May trips.

faline
05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
One more little question: Does the Visa meet and greet give one free photo all of the time? If so I had no idea!

Usually, I forget about it or it's not open or the line is too long and I bypass it but I have done this twice and, both times, it has included the one free print. You do have to go to the camera shop by Space Mountain to get your print.

Zawadi
05-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for spending the time to do the write up. Your observations and nuggets of information have caused us to review our plans for this Sept. :confused: ;)

Mickey'sGirl
05-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Fabulous, Linda (other than the whole airport thing. I had an anxiety attack just reading about your time at the airport). I appreciate the detail you include in your reports, and enjoy spending time with you and Gene when you are in the world!

DisneyorBust
05-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Thank you for your reports! I enjoyed the time spent reading about your vacation. DW and I have had similar trips, planning wise, changing parks and ADR's. That can really make for a wonderful stay.
Thanks again.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks Linda. I enjoyed feeling like I was at WDW while reading your reports. It sounds like it was a wonderful trip. I too am hoping to go for the Intercot meet but will have to wait and see.

DizNee143
06-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like a nice last day in Disney!!
I really enjoyed reading all about your trip!! Thank you for taking the time did sharing it with us! :mickey:

mydisneygirls
06-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I enjoyed your reports. Sounds like you had a relaxing time!

Tigerinvestigator
06-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Thank you so much for the reports this week. They helped me get thru a stressful week. I have noticed we are gravitating toward Epcot more and more every trip. It is especially easy when you are staying at an Epcot resort. It seems ya'll experienced the same thing. Again thank you for the report.:thumbsup:

WDWFRK
06-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks so much for your detailed and well-written report! :mickey:

princessgirls
06-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Linda,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us! I enjoyed all of your reports, and the fun you and Gene have together when in WDW!!!

Until your next trip!

Julie:mickey: