PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes ?

goofyfan4466
05-22-2012, 05:31 PM
we are 47 days away from our cruise on the DREAM. we were talking yesterday about hurricanes. does anybody know what the predictions are this year for hurricanes ? we know that if you are already cruising and a hurricane is a threat , that they steer clear until it passes. has there ever been cruise cancellations due to a hurricane ? we usually vacation in may. but due to my twins being juniors in high school we can no longer pull them out of school so we decided on july this year , but never thought about the hurricanes effecting us until now. we are just a little worried.

thanks

Strmchsr
05-22-2012, 06:24 PM
This hurricane season should be above average. The pattern has changed enough that it is a higher likelihood of a tropical system impacting the US coast, which hasn't happened in over 2000 days. That said, peak hurricane season isn't until August-October so your chances of being impacted are lower. It's not impossible and that is one of the risks of going during hurricane season, but I don't think it's very likely nor anything you need to worry about. I'll the tropics section the weather forecast thread updated so you can keep a check there on what's brewing.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
It is very unlikely that the cruise would be cancelled, but it is possible that ports would change, either in order or all together.

But, Disney, or any cruise line doesn't want their ships in the middle of a storm, so they will stay clear, and as long as you're flexible with any changes you'll have a great time.

Ed
05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I can't recall any cruises being outright cancelled, but there have been several cases of itineraries being changed to avoid nasty weather.

A few years ago (don't recall exactly when) one of the ships had to dock in Port Everglades at the end of their cruise because a storm had caused channel damage at Port Canaveral - - the channel was effectively blocked and not deep enough for the ships to safely use it. Guests on that cruise were brought back to Port Canaveral and Orlando by bus, and guests on the next outbound cruise were similarly bussed to Port Everglades. Caused some delays, but no cancellation.