PDA

View Full Version : May 19-20 at the Poly- mixed emotions and lots of opinions included

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I have been looking forward to a trip like this for years.

When my oldest son was younger, and it was just he and I we used to go stay on property at least once a year, but usually 2-3 times.

They offered the FL resident 3 day pass this year for $99. So I took advantage of it and worked in a trip to the Poly. I have never stayed at the poly before and was concerned because of how much it is.

The Polynesian is now, by far the best resort I have stayed at on Disney property.

My trip includes: Myself, my SO Scott, My ODS Jacob-13, YDS Paul--, and my DD Abigail-19 months.

Day 1:
We got up early Saturday morning and hit the road at 8 am. We arrived at the Poly shortly after 9. We went to check in and the cast member recognized our address. Turns out he lives 4 streets away. He talked about the high schools graduations on Friday and about how he knew my son would be going to Bayside. he had just retired from teaching for 30 years. It was kinda cool but at the same time, I was there to escape. I wanted as far away from Palm Bay as possible for the weekend.

Our room was ready and waiting for us! It was great to be able to put our stuff in our room right away before heading to the MK. And in true Disney fashion they left a nice huge mickey made out of a towel on our bed. The kids loved it. The room was huge. A made a quick call down to the front desk as the Pack N Play was not in the room that we requested. They brought it up so fast I don't think that I even had time to hang up the phone before they were coming with it. We were in room 1945 in Tokelau. Our room faced the quiet pool but the plants all around the back porch thankfully blocked the view. Even with the Pack N Play set up the room still fit all 5 of us comfortably. I could not for the life of me figure out how to fold the couch bed part down, but my 4 year old didn't care.

We got the diaper bag in the stroller and we headed off to the monorail. We rode monorail silver over and I was too busy looking at everything else that I kept missing Avengerail. We go through the bag check and through the turnstiles and I just felt elated. It has been since 2009 since I have been here at the MK, and that trip was quick since we had just a day pass and we were with family. This trip, we planned for two days in the MK and to just take it slow.

Good thing we did. So we headed down Mainstreet and I got a photopass and made Jacob pose with me. We ride the Haunted Mansion first. The ride looked good but here's where the HM disappointed me. The cast members just don't do what they used to. I remember the HM cast members being the most in character CM in the MK. The guy we walked past was like "this line's faster, that ones through the graveyard" in the most boring voice ever. The ride itself is wonderful as always, and I loved the upgraded hitchhiking ghosts. The ghost for Scott's doom buggy blew balloons in his face lol. Mine was sitting on top the doom buggy.

After that we decided to just push through Fantasyland and go to the Barnstormer and work our way back through. Barnstormer was only a 10 min wait, but it said 30. We did the baby swap and I took the boys on first. Scott took Abiagail on Dumbo thinking we would be longer. I hope they open the second dumbo soon, and the water play area would have been nice to have open this weekend.

Scott went on Barnstormer with the boys next and I looked around at the fantasyland expansion a little. It will be great when it is done, but oh man is it a mess right now. There are so many fences and bottlenecks that it was frusterating me. It's an eyesore. You can tell that it will look great when it is done but right now, it's ugly.

We realized that the fastpasses for Pooh are all the way over by Mickey's phillarmagic. We got the double fast passes and we were ready for Mickey's first. I love this show but think the 3D should be updated, maybe even some of the animation now that CG and 3D have come a long way since this attraction opened. We ended up having to sit near the back and my littleones couldn't see very well what was going on. The seating needs to be a little more stadium like IMO.

We still had time to kill before our FP opened for Pooh, so we went on Snow White. It's bittersweet. It's sad to see old attractions going away, but at the same time it needs to be done.

We did a quick bathroom break and I felt horrible for the lady next to me changing her baby's diaper while I was changing Abby. Her baby had the most horrible rash. I tried to help her, and explain that the FL heat is going to irritate it. But she didn't speak very good English. :(

I wanted to go on the carousel next. While we were in line there was a guy in front of us that started talking to us about the fast pass times being inforced now. He was complaing about it but at the same time was wearing a Save Snow White's Scary Adventures shirt. Just struck me as odd. We got lucky and got a whole row of horses to ourselves.

When we got off is when I first noticed you can see the other castle now. It's was weird to see two castles in Fantasyland. Cinderella's castle and the new one for the FLE. It is smaller and at a distance but still strange to me.

We were ready for Pooh now. I see they added some things for the stand by line. We got right on and my little ones totally loved it. Abby was pointing at Pooh the whole way through.

Afterwords, Paul was desprate to ride the train. So we walked back over to the train station at Circus area, and parked the stroller and decided to ride the train the whole way around. The cast member's had to yell at people the whole way. "car 3 get your feet down" "Car two please sit" It ruined the moment.

We got off the train and took the back walkway through to Tomorrowland. We were going to get fastpasses for Space Mountain but return time was well after we planned on being in the park. It was about 3:30 now, so we decided to save the rest for Sunday since we would be there all day. We wanted to enjoy the pool and give the baby a chance to nap since our dinner reservations weren't until 9:30 that night.

We did a little shopping on our way out, and caught the end of the parade. We got on the monorail back to the hotel and I missed Avengerail again. Oye

We stopped at Captain Cooks for a quick bite to hold us over until dinner. We go to the room and the boys and I change and Scott decides since he worked till 1 am the night before that he was going to stay behind and take a nap with Abby .

I took the boys to the volcano pool. Jacob spent the whole time going down the slide over and over. The pool is very shallow so I didn't worry about having Paul in there at all. he can't swim. I saw some kids with the vests from the Marina so I took Paul over to see if we could get one too. We didn't have our room key so they wouldn't give us one.

Paul and I swam a little longer and then went back to the room. We got cleaned up and woke up Scott and Abby. Jacob stayed at the pool. We decided to look around the hotel and do some shopping. We got shot glasses with the polynesian on them. We went back by the pool to find Jacob. He was carrying around 3 small children. Apparently he was being adopted by another family who thought he was a great babysitter. Then another woman offered to trade me two of her kids for him.

Jacob got cleaned up and caught up with us in the upstairs store. I bought the kids some toys and we took them back to the room. We thought the kids discovery area on the map would be a playground but it was the water area. But we were just in time for the Campfire and the marshmellow roasting. Scott and I had a drink from the bar and we all just hung out on the beach for a long time. It was fabulous and relaxing. We lost track of time and then realized it was already 9:00 and we needed to get up to Ohana!

We checked in exactly 20 min before our 9:30 reservations. We were seated around 9:45. We had a great view of the castle and the fireworks from our table. They brought out the salad and the drinks. then the Pork Won Tons and the chicken wings and all the sauces. Then they started bringing the skewers around and brough the noodles and broccoli. I was a little disappointed in the lack of variety that they had compared to what I remembered them having. The food was still delicious and we pigged out. Except my 4 year old. The server noticed he was not eating and brought him chicken nuggets and fries. This made him happy. She also brought us seprate bowls of ice cream and chocolate cupcakes for the kids in addition to the bread pudding and ice cream. Scott remembered me talking up the lapu lapu and the backscratcher before our trip and ordered me one of each. They were way strong so Scott volunteered to drink the lapu lapu for me.

We were beat after dinner and went back to the room. I still could not figure out the couch bed, but Paul laid down and passed right out anyway. All 3 fell asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillow.

Scott and I sat out back and enjoyed talking about how much we like this hotel. He only had the Beach Club to compare it to and he definatly loves the Poly. This made me so excited because now we have a new "home" hotel to go to on these trips that we both love.

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Day 2:

I got up and went down to Captain Cooks and grabbed some bagels for breakfast and brought them back to the room.

We packed everything up and ran the bags out to the car and checked out. I was sad to check out. I can't wait to stay there for an extended period of time. It will be a couple years though.

We hopped the monorail back over to the MK. Missed Avengerail again. We were there by 9:15 am and went straight back to Splash Mountain. We stopped really quick for a meet n greet with Donald since there was no one there. Abby played with him for a good 5 minutes before we finally pulled her away. She loves the characters. Baby swap really wasn't necessary as the ride was walk on. I rode with the boys first and Scott let Abby play on the little play area underneath. Then we switched. Paul totally loved this ride and wanted to keep doing it over and over.

The little play area made us realize that we missed the Winnie The Pooh Playground. Right now there are very vew areas poor Abby could get out of the stroller in.

We went to Adventureland and rode Pirates and the Jungle Cruise. I took Paul on the Carpets as Abby just did not like Dumbo or the Triceratops spin a couple weeks ago at AK.

After the carpets, we headed over to our ADR at Crystal Palace. I was so excited to take Scott here as every time we have been to Disney now, his favorite character Eeyore has been nowhere to be found.

The food was really good and I was pleased with the selection. Abigail was pigging out on the pasta for the kids and we kept having to clean her up real quick for the characters. Pooh was the first to come through. Abby hugged and hugged him. Pooh played with the kids and posed for pics. Then, next was Eeyore. Paul was wearing a superman shirt, so Eeyore kept posing like superman. It was really funny. Paul had his chair so far back that Eeyore couldn't fit through, so he pushed him in and patted his head.

When Tigger came though, Paul was leaning so far back that his chair fell over and he landed at Tiggers feet. Tigger seemed very concerned. We were bad parents and just watched and laughed. Tigger helped him up and got him straightened out. We posed with Tigger and Abby kept bouncing and calling him Pooh also.

When Piglet came through I think Abby was just over the moon. She ran up to him and poked him in the belly. But she is short and poked really low. Piglet covered his mouth like Oh my! I have a pic it was funny.

The characters at Crystal Palace were great and the food was good too. Definatly will not miss this one on any future trips.

After lunch we went to the baby care center to get Abby cleaned up and ready to go to Tomorrowland. We skip through the middle, and got Fastpasses for Buzz. We did the Monsters Inc show. It was great as usual. I am glad they added this attraction.

We rode the Peoplemover. I was glad to see it restored to it's original name. I saw that the carousel of progress was running. When are they going to get rid of that ride? I didn't go on it. I used to love it but I am ready for Disney to make Tomorrowland into a Tomorrowland again. Too much out of date stuff there IMO. After peoplemover, we did Buzz. Abby figured out how to control the spin on the car and poor Scott was getting dizzy. I rode with Paul and he didn't really understand how to aim the gun but he was shooting anyway. I somehow topped out at 99999999 right off the bat so I could take pictures. Yay.

After Buzz, Scott grabbed a fastpass for Space Mtn and took Jacob on Stitch. I didn't think Paul was ready for it, so I kept the kids with me. Abby fell asleep in her stroller after I bought her a stuffed stitch to cuddle with.

After they did Stitch I took the boys on the teacups. Jacob spun us hard and I was really dizzy! I went on the racecars with Paul and Jacob drove his own while Scott took pics of us while Abby was sleeping still.

After the cars, Abby started to wake up so we decided since we still had lots of time before Space FP, we would go wait and meet Mickey.

Now, Abby is obcessed with mickey. She called him and Minnie both 'MEEMEE" and just can't get enough. Mickey and Minnie did not disappoint. they played with her and hugged her and Paul even hugged Minnie. He is usually scared of the characters. Abby would not let him go. It was so cute. They did not rush us through at all even though there was a few people waiting.

It was starting to get twords the evening time and Jacob had been begging to see the Tiki Show all day. Since no one else wanted to go on Space but Scott, we decided to skip it and go to the Tiki Room. I felt bad that we didn't do space, and then even further regretted it when I realized that it had been restored to it's original version. I may be controversal in posting this here but I can't stand it. I wanted to shoot myself halfway through the show.

I went to change Abby again and saw the same diaper rash baby with mom. I tried again to help but she just wouldn't listen. I hope that poor baby is ok now.

We decided that the little ones were beat and we needed to go ahead and get home. Jacob has exams this week and we didn't want him over tired.

I finally saw Avengerail on the ride back to the hotel to get our car. I actually like it.

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Final Thoughts-

Disney needs to finish the FLE ASAP. It is a huge cluster and eyesore. It was a nightmare trying to get through.

The Pooh Fastpasses being over by Mickey's Phillharmagic was a horrible idea. Way too far away.

I miss the Pooh Playground. There needs to be more areas in the MK that I can take little ones out of the stroller in.

the cast member's need to remember the magic. They all seemed to have I don't care attitude and just really drag down the feel of the parks.

Disney needs to stop holding on to tired old attractions. I know many people still enjoy them but the looks on peoples faces in Snow White and Tiki Room this weekend were that of boredom.

Disney needs to pay more attention to cleanliness and sanitary conditions in the bathrooms. I saw so many dirty bathrooms and toilets I wanted to be sick.

I overheard so many comments from people saying "Disney is losing it's touch" and I agreed. I love Disney World, especially the MK but I could not believe how bad off it was. I felt so sad to see the park in such a run down conditions. All the tents over the buildings on Main Street and all the construction fences through out Fantasyland, while I understand are a means to an end are an eyesore right now and really need to get them completed and removed.

Overall I had a great time and my kids did too. We love the Poly and highly recommend it to everyone.

faline
05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
The Poly is my favorite resort! Glad you got to enjoy such a lovely weekend!

SBETigg
05-22-2012, 06:55 PM
So glad you enjoyed the Poly! Staying at a resort you love makes you want to really enjoy the resort time as well as park time. Sorry to hear there were some disappointments, but glad it didn't get you down for the most part.

January-2007
05-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for reporting.