PDA

View Full Version : Avatarland Project

DisnIse
05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
I personally still don't like the idea, but.....

Update 5/21/12: James Cameron has revealed that "Avatar Land" will include a ride that simulates flight. This is the first specific detail of the project that has been announced.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The popular film AVATAR will be coming to life at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2015. Disney Parks' newest venturewill happen in cooperation with James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment.

Lightstorm Entertainment and Walt Disney Imagineers will work together to bring the fantasy world to the parks, as construction on the first AVATAR-themed land will begin by 2013. The project is currently in the design phase. Disney says "Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature - real and mythical - in new ways. Disney's Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship - themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR."

There are currently two sequels to the film being planned, so the AVATAR world will only have more opportunities to grow as more characters and stories are developed.

IamBelle
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
I heard somewhere that Avatarland was not going to happen?? But with this information, it looks like whoever told me that was wrong...hmm I'm not sure about Avatarland's popularity after all the movies are done and everyone forget's about it...it would sort of become irrelevant like Kim Possible in the World Showcase when that show hasn't been on television in years.

Wolf
05-22-2012, 11:16 AM
I love the idea!! I can't wait to see Avatar Land!!! I think Pandora was such a beautiful place I hope the Land looks like it did, it would be amazing if they lit the paths with black lights at night and made the plants UV. I'm stoked about all of it as well as the next movies!!

shadowden
05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
...hmm I'm not sure about Avatarland's popularity after all the movies are done and everyone forget's about it...it would sort of become irrelevant like Kim Possible in the World Showcase when that show hasn't been on television in years.

Although I agree with you, one could have made the same argument with Indiana Jones or Toy Story in DHS or Buzz Lightyear in MK.

Sounds like they're banking on the success of the first film and the anticipated successes of the 2nd and 3rd installments...

Stu29573
05-22-2012, 11:29 AM
A flight simulator linked to a movie....Hmmmm, where have I heard this before....and before that....

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 12:11 PM
The whole concept of Avatarland makes my blood boil. Disney needs to stop copying other parks ideas and come up with their own ideas for better attractions.

I'm just coming back from a trip to the MK where I saw a lot of run down attractions and out of date attractions that need to be replaced before building something like this.

DizneyFreak2002
05-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Avatar is going to take over CMM... Lion King would be moved closer to Harambe...

ChipNDale79
05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
The whole concept of Avatarland makes my blood boil. Disney needs to stop copying other parks ideas and come up with their own ideas for better attractions.

I'm just coming back from a trip to the MK where I saw a lot of run down attractions and out of date attractions that need to be replaced before building something like this.

Disney has to have an answer to Harry Potter, I think it has to be more than the fantasyland expansion and I think Avatarland is what they need.

When Harry Potter opened I personally was like ehhh, who cares? However, I hadnt read any of the books nor seen any of the movies. I started reading the books and now I'm nearly done with the 6th book and I totally get why people want to go to Universal, I cant wait to go myself. Disney has to have an answer to it.

Stu29573
05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Disney has to have an answer to Harry Potter, I think it has to be more than the fantasyland expansion and I think Avatarland is what they need.

When Harry Potter opened I personally was like ehhh, who cares? However, I hadnt read any of the books nor seen any of the movies. I started reading the books and now I'm nearly done with the 6th book and I totally get why people want to go to Universal, I cant wait to go myself. Disney has to have an answer to it.

Ok, I can see your point. The problem is that they seem to be countering a cutural phenomenon with a pretty good movie that made lots of money. Its kind of like countering the Taj Mahal with a White Castle. Sure White Castles make tons of money for what they are, but, really, couldn't we have done a little better here?

Lizzy
05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
The Avatar movie itself was not that good in my opinion. The Harry Potter franchise was huge but to me now, it's just another area of Universal's parks. Sure it's neat to have a whole section themed to a huge movie franchise but just because Universal did it doesn't mean it will work for Disney.

Disney has so many of it's own styles and characters movies that if it really wanted to put a whole themed area in- it could use something more "Disney" then Avatar. Avatar was not Magical to me at all.

Quadstriker
05-22-2012, 05:06 PM
The Avatar movie was a special effects film with zero charm. It's an anti-disney movie whose only redeeming quality was that it "looked pretty". The fact that Disney picked this to latch on to is sad imo. It's the opposite of what Disney is all about.

Proof: Go up to anyone who saw the film and ask them to give you one character's name without looking it up. I have yet to meet anyone who can. They can't because nobody gave a flip about any of the characters - they were all uninteresting stereotypes with no personality or creativity. (That said, I'm sure there is someone here who can and will, but the percentage is incredibly minuscule from my experience.)

Stu29573
05-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I agree that Avatar fails as a Disney property because it is weak in the one area that Disney always excelled at.....story telling. If I was a Disney exec, before I plunked down a bazillion bucks on something, I had better be real sure people give a rip about the characters.....

CuteAsMinnie
05-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Zero interest.

And I don't think it can even compete with Harry Potter. No comparison. Harry Potter appealed to a generation. Avatar was "just a movie."

PirateLover
05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Another reason why I don't see Avatar having the staying power that other franchises have had, is that it can't be marketed very well. I mean, what kind of Avatar themed toy would you buy? (Other than figurines maybe of those characters you can't name). Most of these franchises have great tie ins and appeal more to children.

DizneyFreak2002
05-22-2012, 06:59 PM

Fantasyland is not the response to Potter people think it is.. It was a necessity... And even with that, TDO had to have it shoved down their throat...

Imagineering HAS Potter swatters all designed and planned... The WE CANNOT SPEND MONEY OR ELSE OUR BONUSES MAY BE LESS MAFIA refused to green light any of them...

Butters
05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
In a way this is a perfect fit since Avatar is pretty much Pocahauntis story done with CGI

Tink#64
05-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Zero interest.

And I don't think it can even compete with Harry Potter. No comparison. Harry Potter appealed to a generation. Avatar was "just a movie."

:exactly: I agree 100%! :shake:

BrerGnat
05-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Seeing as how the Avengers is setting up to be the biggest box office success of all time, me thinks this Avatarland is a baaaaad idea.

Wolf
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
The Avatar movie was a special effects film with zero charm. It's an anti-disney movie whose only redeeming quality was that it "looked pretty". The fact that Disney picked this to latch on to is sad imo. It's the opposite of what Disney is all about.

Proof: Go up to anyone who saw the film and ask them to give you one character's name without looking it up. I have yet to meet anyone who can. They can't because nobody gave a flip about any of the characters - they were all uninteresting stereotypes with no personality or creativity. (That said, I'm sure there is someone here who can and will, but the percentage is incredibly minuscule from my experience.)

Neytri, Jake Sully, Grace. Scouts honor I didn't look em up.

Wolf
05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Worst thing is that I'm a die hard HP fan and still don't see any appeal to the HP universal park..I read all the books as they came out, same with movies, every one midnight premiers in full costume, I've still never had a ounce of desire to go...I don't know it just doesn't look that awesome at all..

Quadstriker
05-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Neytri, Jake Sully, Grace. Scouts honor I didn't look em up.

WE HAVE A WINNER.

First person ever.

You're missing out big time on HP though. I can't imagine better themeing anywhere.

PopPhan
05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Seeing as how the Avengers is setting up to be the biggest box office success of all time, me thinks this Avatarland is a baaaaad idea.

Although I understand what you are saying, and getting at, with this statement, Disney cannot put Avengers in ANY of the 'East of the Mississippi' parks, nor would it be a fit in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The use of a film such as Avatar, which promotes conservation, caring for, and sharing the land - if you look past the "us vs. them" conflict, in Disney's Animal Kingdom, is a good, if not perfect, fit. To set up an area of the park to mimic the Pandora of the movie - the flora, fauna, and peoples, would work with the Mythical Beast part of the original DAK plan.

It may not be "Disney" per se, but how much of DAK really is?

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Well, you can always get your Marvel fix at Universal... :)

And there is no way Avengers will do another 1.6 billion in business... More blockbusters are coming out now.. MIB 3 will get this weekend's top draw... Avengers has now leveled off... I just don't see another 1.6 billion in business coming its way... Will settle in nicely at number 3, behind Titanic and Avatar... But in no way does it beat Avatar's success...

Buttercup
05-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Well, you can always get your Marvel fix at Universal... :)

And there is no way Avengers will do another 1.6 billion in business... More blockbusters are coming out now.. MIB 3 will get this weekend's top draw... Avengers has now leveled off... I just don't see another 1.6 billion in business coming its way... Will settle in nicely at number 3, behind Titanic and Avatar... But in no way does it beat Avatar's success...
Um, I would be willing to bet if you add up the actual Avengers movie, plus the 4 prequels to it (Captain America, Thor, and both Iron Man movies, all which had cross-overs with the Avengers; Nick Fury et al) I would say it blows Avatar WAAAAY out of the water. There's more to "bank on" with the Avengers series than one single Avatar movie that only got the audience it did because it was the first major 3D production. Well, pretty much everything is 3D now so what are they gonna do to thrill audiences with the second and third Avatar movie? Cuz it sure ain't the story!
I can completely see the Avengers still beating Titanic and Avatar's box office earnings if you give it a little more time. It's only been in theatres for 3 weeks. They are already working on a second Avengers movie as well. I would also be willing to bet that you'll find oodles more fans that can name the Marvel characters than there are fans of Avatar.

With that being said, SOMEONE at Disney needs to renegotiate with Universal to get Marvel outta there and into the Disney parks!!!

I would rather go to boring old Camp Minnie Mickey than to some neon forest with weird blue creatures... what are they even called again? And oh yeah, a flight simulator ride... yeah that's innovative. At least Camp Minnie Mickey has memorable characters. :D :rolleyes:

Zawadi
05-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Worst thing is that I'm a die hard HP fan and still don't see any appeal to the HP universal park..I read all the books as they came out, same with movies, every one midnight premiers in full costume, I've still never had a ounce of desire to go...I don't know it just doesn't look that awesome at all..

After spending over 3hours going around the WBros studios (London) seeing the HP sets and props (Great Hall, Knight Bus, Hippograffe, Diagon Alley to name a few) I too feel that HP universal might be a let down. Still plan to go with an open mind though.

I also like the idea of Avatar being used in the AK. The theme in Avatar of respecting the land is a Disney theme - just see the Epcot's Circle of Life film and Living with the Land. In the words of Agent Smith (The Matrix part 1) "Humans are parasites they just take from the land and give nothing back"

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Um, I would be willing to bet if you add up the actual Avengers movie, plus the 4 prequels to it (Captain America, Thor, and both Iron Man movies, all which had cross-overs with the Avengers; Nick Fury et al) I would say it blows Avatar WAAAAY out of the water. There's more to "bank on" with the Avengers series than one single Avatar movie that only got the audience it did because it was the first major 3D production. Well, pretty much everything is 3D now so what are they gonna do to thrill audiences with the second and third Avatar movie? Cuz it sure ain't the story!
I can completely see the Avengers still beating Titanic and Avatar's box office earnings if you give it a little more time. It's only been in theatres for 3 weeks. They are already working on a second Avengers movie as well. I would also be willing to bet that you'll find oodles more fans that can name the Marvel characters than there are fans of Avatar.

With that being said, SOMEONE at Disney needs to renegotiate with Universal to get Marvel outta there and into the Disney parks!!!

I would rather go to boring old Camp Minnie Mickey than to some neon forest with weird blue creatures... what are they even called again? And oh yeah, a flight simulator ride... yeah that's innovative. At least Camp Minnie Mickey has memorable characters. :D :rolleyes:

1. Avengers is 1 movie right now.. get out of the franchise thinking... AVENGERS has done $1.1 billion in business, needs to do $1.6 billion more to reach Avatar's $2.7 billion... not going to happen...

2. Avatar has 2 more sequels coming out, and Cameron already said he is already thinking of more stories for a 4th...

3. The 3D excuse is tired... Been tried and is a failed reason why Avatar did so well... As I recall, Dark Knight, and the last Potter and many movies after that have come out in 3D and haven't come close to $2 billion in business... So, that argument is already a failure... Next...

4. Marvel characters have been around for how many years??? Again, another failed argument here... So, more people can name more characters from Star Wars (30-something year old franchise) and Marvel (50 plus year old characters) and Potter (over 10 year old franchise) than Avatar, a 3 or 4 year old movie... Congrats!!!!! Still proves absolutely nothing... Tell me a movie who has done $2.7 billion in business out of those franchises?? You can't...

5. Avengers has now been in the theater for 3 weeks is it??? MIB will more than likely top it this weekend, as should be expected... The competition for the summer movies will now start heating up and Avengers number will, as expected, decline more and more each week... MAYBE it will hit $2 billion if Japan carries it... other wise, it is going to rank 3rd... Not shabby, major success, but still, not topping Avatar...

6. Forget Marvel in WDW... not happening any time soon or any time in the near future... Universal holds all the cards... Anyone wants to meet an "Avenger" has to go to Universal... And they know that... They will not give up the rights any time soon, if at all...

7. Disney may want to renegotiate... But Universal only has to say, not interested and Disney must go back to their office, tail between their legs... Again, Universal holds all the cards in this... Disney is out of luck...

8. Please, tell me the flight simulator concept that has been created for Avatar.... Hmm, can't right??? BTW, Cameron said it would simulate flight, not necessarily be a flight simulator like you are thinking... More advanced that 80's tech Star Tours... And no, not soarin either...

9. All the people who are whining, I fully expect none of you online if this thing opens... Faster line for the rest of us who will go and enjoy the ride and land that will be created... But, we all know what will happen... Disney and Cameron create one heck of a themed land with a major e-ticket and the whiners will flock there in a hurry.. then use their online whining personality to complain, while holding that Na'vi plush cause it has a Disney tag on it...

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 07:19 PM
After spending over 3hours going around the WBros studios (London) seeing the HP sets and props (Great Hall, Knight Bus, Hippograffe, Diagon Alley to name a few) I too feel that HP universal might be a let down. Still plan to go with an open mind though.

I also like the idea of Avatar being used in the AK. The theme in Avatar of respecting the land is a Disney theme - just see the Epcot's Circle of Life film and Living with the Land. In the words of Agent Smith (The Matrix part 1) "Humans are parasites they just take from the land and give nothing back"

I promise you, Wizarding World is not a let down...

Aurora
05-24-2012, 07:23 PM
I get why people might not like the idea of Avatarland, but I don't get the level of negativity. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone and Aerosmith are not Disney properties, but they're in the parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies were also quite violent, but I never see any comments that they shouldn't be at Disney.

James Cameron has directed a couple of the biggest blockbusters of all time; he must have some idea of what appeals to audiences. And I think the land has a lot of possibilities, both tying into the mythology of Animal Kingdom and in terms of attractions. I don't think there's a reason to worry yet. (If there's suddenly word that Cameron has decided to take a back seat in the plans, that's when we should worry.)

stephicakes
05-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Just to put in my :twocents: ... I think this is definitely Disney's way of appealing to the younger generation for sure. For some reason or another, Avatar is very appealing to tweens & teens alike. I know there have been previous threads about why this new generation doesn't see Disney for all its magic (i.e.: uses their imagination) the way that we all do, and I think Disney is trying different things to keep this generation interested, engaged and entertained. There is nothing worse than a teenager being dead-set on making everyone miserable because they are somewhere that they don't want to be - it's enough for any parent to say, "Alright! We'll just stay home!". If the kids are happy, then the parents will go and spend money. My DD is 16 and can't wait to check out Avatar in AK.

For better or worse, Avatar is another way of keeping the kids (parents) in the parks longer...

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
I get why people might not like the idea of Avatarland, but I don't get the level of negativity. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone and Aerosmith are not Disney properties, but they're in the parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies were also quite violent, but I never see any comments that they shouldn't be at Disney.

James Cameron has directed a couple of the biggest blockbusters of all time; he must have some idea of what appeals to audiences. And I think the land has a lot of possibilities, both tying into the mythology of Animal Kingdom and in terms of attractions. I don't think there's a reason to worry yet. (If there's suddenly word that Cameron has decided to take a back seat in the plans, that's when we should worry.)

it isn't Cameron who I would worry about taking a back seat.. I'd worry more about the internal politics in the Disney Company derailing this before Cameron...

Cameron has his heart set on several Avatar movies.. We already know there will be a 2 and 3... he said he is already working on a 4th even though 2 and 3 haven't begun filming yet... Obviously this man has a world created in his head...

And since he is such a perfectionist (for better or for worse), I wouldn't expect anything short of spectacular for Avatar in DAK...

Stu29573
05-25-2012, 07:27 AM
I still say White Castle vs Taj Mahal. It don't mean a thing if it aint got that zing! (or characters, or story....)

Buttercup
05-25-2012, 03:52 PM
9. All the people who are whining, I fully expect none of you online if this thing opens... Faster line for the rest of us who will go and enjoy the ride and land that will be created... But, we all know what will happen... Disney and Cameron create one heck of a themed land with a major e-ticket and the whiners will flock there in a hurry.. then use their online whining personality to complain, while holding that Na'vi plush cause it has a Disney tag on it...
Boy, you've clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff... even to number your list of reasons the rest of the world is wrong and you are so clearly right.
But please don't call us "whiners". Mmmkaythanks.

dpamac
05-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Just for the record...The Avengers have been around since 1963 and have sold hundreds of millions of comics. They will never be in a Disney park for a variety of reasons, but if you want to talk about staying power beyond the movie I think those guys might have a shot.

HackLaSalle
05-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't say they will never be in a Disney Park ever. I think you'll see them in the Foreign parks and California... and then eventually when NBC runs out of money in Orlando ;)

And hey I'm with the Freak. If you don't want to go to Avatarland please don't clog up the queue for me. I've never seen the movies but I'm always looking for something for to do in AK.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
05-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Apples to Oranges = Harry Potter to Avatar

Apples to Oranges = Avengers to Avatar

Yes they are both fruit; both movies but they are NOT the same!

Avengers - if you take all the movies ever made up from the characters that comprise the Avengers - Thor, Iron Man (and they ARE filming the 3rd currently in NC), etc......they have out sold Avatar - but Avatar is an Alien Environmental Film with Neytiri the blue girl, Jake Sully the human turned blue girl, Grace played by Sigorney Weaver known for doing alien movies, and the CGIs.
Avengers are super heros - different genre, different group of watchers, readers, etc.

It is all Apples to Oranges Avatarland to Harry Potter Wizarding World...completely different concepts and completely different groups of "tourists" purposely planning trips to see. AND Disney will do a better job at accommodating "Pooh" sized people making it more rider friendly for more people than those powers that be at WB have done with HP.

So, APPLES TO ORANGES!! FRUIT TO FRUIT but different tastes. :) Just my humble opinion.

DizneyFreak2002
05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't say they will never be in a Disney Park ever. I think you'll see them in the Foreign parks and California... and then eventually when NBC runs out of money in Orlando ;)

And hey I'm with the Freak. If you don't want to go to Avatarland please don't clog up the queue for me. I've never seen the movies but I'm always looking for something for to do in AK.

Considering Comcast owns Univ ersal, NBC won't run out of money in Orlando... especially with Potter raking in the big bucks, with more Potter on the way... And Comcast just announced that they are investing $150 million a year for the next 5 years to Orlando... Marvel is not going anywhere...

But here is the thing Hack, they will whine and complain and claim they prefer a run down CMM or a pile of dirt, but we all know where they will be when (or if) Avatar opens... Right in line with everyone else... :)

DizneyFreak2002
05-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Just for the record...The Avengers have been around since 1963 and have sold hundreds of millions of comics. They will never be in a Disney park for a variety of reasons, but if you want to talk about staying power beyond the movie I think those guys might have a shot.

You prove my point... Avengers have been around for 50 years in one form or another... Star Wars for 35 years in one form or another.. Avatar came out in 2009 so barely 3 years old... Trying to say NO ONE KNOWS THE AVATAR CHARACTERS BUT PEOPLE KNOW AVENGERS, STAR WARS.. Well again, congrats, people know two franchises embedded into pop culture... Let's see where Avatar is in 30 years....

DizneyFreak2002
05-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Apples to Oranges = Harry Potter to Avatar

Apples to Oranges = Avengers to Avatar

Yes they are both fruit; both movies but they are NOT the same!

Avengers - if you take all the movies ever made up from the characters that comprise the Avengers - Thor, Iron Man (and they ARE filming the 3rd currently in NC), etc......they have out sold Avatar - but Avatar is an Alien Environmental Film with Neytiri the blue girl, Jake Sully the human turned blue girl, Grace played by Sigorney Weaver known for doing alien movies, and the CGIs.
Avengers are super heros - different genre, different group of watchers, readers, etc.

It is all Apples to Oranges Avatarland to Harry Potter Wizarding World...completely different concepts and completely different groups of "tourists" purposely planning trips to see. AND Disney will do a better job at accommodating "Pooh" sized people making it more rider friendly for more people than those powers that be at WB have done with HP.

So, APPLES TO ORANGES!! FRUIT TO FRUIT but different tastes. :) Just my humble opinion.

And if you take one Avatar movie and compare it to any one Marvel movie, Avatar has out performed them all... You cannot compare one movie to 5 or 6 and say HEY IT DIDN'T DO THEIR AVENGER BUSINESS, AVENGERS DID MORE... No, it didn't... Avatar did $2.7 billion, Avengers (without this weekend) $1.1 billion... Avatar still leads...

BTW, take this into consideration.. Avatar played on less screen than Avengers did, and still tops it by $1.6 billion... Now THAT is some crazy business...

LandFan
05-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Hmmmm... Not so sure about this one...

Stu29573
05-27-2012, 10:06 AM
And if you take one Avatar movie and compare it to any one Marvel movie, Avatar has out performed them all... You cannot compare one movie to 5 or 6 and say HEY IT DIDN'T DO THEIR AVENGER BUSINESS, AVENGERS DID MORE... No, it didn't... Avatar did $2.7 billion, Avengers (without this weekend) $1.1 billion... Avatar still leads...

BTW, take this into consideration.. Avatar played on less screen than Avengers did, and still tops it by $1.6 billion... Now THAT is some crazy business...

I think we've gotten a bit off point here. Who cares how much a movie has made? Is it a good fit for AK? In my opinion, no.

DizneyFreak2002
05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I think we've gotten a bit off point here. Who cares how much a movie has made? Is it a good fit for AK? In my opinion, no.

Is it a fit? yes... The reasons it is a fit has been talked about plenty already... Forget the story or the war or the violence or whatever... The conservation theme fits in DAK perfectly...

and BTW, I wasn't the one who started the "money making" argument... Someone else did trying to say Avengers is set up to top Avatar in box office numbers... I simply stated facts that were not clouded with pixie dust dreams...

texas211
05-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Look at it this way, its a way to get a Pocohontas story into WDW. Afterall, Avatar was basically Pocohontas with guns and no catchy song.

Stu29573
05-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Is it a fit? yes... The reasons it is a fit has been talked about plenty already... Forget the story or the war or the violence or whatever... The conservation theme fits in DAK perfectly...

and BTW, I wasn't the one who started the "money making" argument... Someone else did trying to say Avengers is set up to top Avatar in box office numbers... I simply stated facts that were not clouded with pixie dust dreams...

I guess you missed that "in my opinion" part. I'm not saying I'm going to hate it. I'm just saying they could have done better...again, in my opinion.

Buttercup
05-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Okay so we're clear then: DizneyFreak is in love with Avatar. To him, it is such a wicked movie and it made more money than anything else on the planet and it deserves to be in Animal Kingdom and it's going to be the most awesome place ever and if we're not 100% excited about it like him we're whiners and complainers and we'd better just stay out of the lineup so he can have Avatarland all to himself. If we're not with him, we must be against him. Got it.
:beat::funny:
Annnyway....... back to the original post re: the ride. Does anyone know if there is only one ride scheduled for that "land" (the flight simulator)? Or are there going to be a number of different attractions (outside of walking through a glowing forest)? Anyone want to speculate? :D

jonahbear2006
06-03-2012, 09:04 PM
the idea just sounds too universal studios to me.

waymickey
06-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Not interested in Avatar land at all. Zero , zilch, no attraction at all. It is not Disney.
The entire area and Idea is a turnoff to me.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Not interested in Avatar land at all. Zero , zilch, no attraction at all. It is not Disney.
The entire area and Idea is a turnoff to me.

How do you feel about Star Wars? Indiana Jones? Twilight Zone? None of them are Disney properties either...

I love the IT ISN'T DISNEY argument... LOL...

Mousemates
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM
How do you feel about Star Wars? Indiana Jones? Twilight Zone? None of them are Disney properties either...

Nice point...and that is with your choosing not to be exhaustive in your list, since you left out Rockin Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, and a whole lot of rides that have the Disney touch, but that are not truly Disney in terms of their creation. To me, the issue at this point isn't whether "Disney started it" but is if they can do it in a way that has genuine Disney-styled magic. If they can do something even remotely close to say Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter,I'm all for it and it will likely be afinancial winner (and this is coming from someone who isn't all that personally enamored with Avatar in the first place).

Aurora
06-04-2012, 11:15 PM

I was going to write the same thing. And add in a few others, along with the fact that in all the animatronic scenes in the Great Movie Ride, only one (Fantasia) was Disney. But no one cries foul about that. :shrug:

HackLaSalle
06-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Aerosmith isn't Disney. Technically most of what we consider Disney... isn't Disney it's just Disney did the most popular version of it. You're looking at a very small list of attractions that are thoroughly 100% Disney.

Figment comes to mind.

But you're talking about a completely immersible land the level of The Wizarding World. If Anyone can do it it's WDI and James Cameron... now if only they have a place for that Titanic Ride...

waymickey
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM

I feel that at least these attractions are in the right park DHS. I am not a fan of Indiana Jones or Star Wars but I admit I like Tower of Terror. As for the great movie ride I love it. But it fits in that park and I do wish they would put more disney films into the mix. Honestly DHS is my least favorite park after a ride on TSM and TT we leave. My family spends a bulk of our time at MK and we have grown children in college.
Don't get me wrong I understand why Disney is doing it , It just doesn't interest me. I didn't see the movie and I am looking forward more to the new fantasyland.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Nice point...and that is with your choosing not to be exhaustive in your list, since you left out Rockin Rollercoaster, Expedition Everest, and a whole lot of rides that have the Disney touch, but that are not truly Disney in terms of their creation. To me, the issue at this point isn't whether "Disney started it" but is if they can do it in a way that has genuine Disney-styled magic. If they can do something even remotely close to say Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter,I'm all for it and it will likely be afinancial winner (and this is coming from someone who isn't all that personally enamored with Avatar in the first place).

I left out Everest because, well, remember when Disney used to make original rides and not everything had a franchise/movie tie in??? Everest is the last of its kind I'm afraid...

And, well, I got a piece of information about Avatar... Debating if I want to share it or not LOL... if I do share it, just remember, it isn't a confirmation of anything, and since things are still "in development" well, things could chance... And they probably will (for the worse and for the cheaper may I add since, well, that $400-500 million price range?? Forget it, slashed already)....

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:24 AM
I was going to write the same thing. And add in a few others, along with the fact that in all the animatronic scenes in the Great Movie Ride, only one (Fantasia) was Disney. But no one cries foul about that. :shrug:

I remember when everyone was almost in tears that the park formerly known as MGM was no longer going to carry the MGM name... But, wait... When did Disney own MGM?? oh, never... So an entire theme park based on a non-Disney entity, named after that non-Disney entity, housing majority of non-Disney intellectual property, but people eat it up... Mention Avatar, and suddenly people scream IT ISN'T DISNEY!!!!!

And, to be fair, well, neither is Winnie the Pooh, neither is Cinderella, neither is Snow White (who was just made into one heck of a movie by Universal), neither is Little Mermaid... They were only Disney-fied... Wait, when did Disney own Tom Sawyer???

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Aerosmith isn't Disney. Technically most of what we consider Disney... isn't Disney it's just Disney did the most popular version of it. You're looking at a very small list of attractions that are thoroughly 100% Disney.

Figment comes to mind.

But you're talking about a completely immersible land the level of The Wizarding World. If Anyone can do it it's WDI and James Cameron... now if only they have a place for that Titanic Ride...

Agh, this post makes me want to share what a birdie whispered to me... Ok, I'll tell you, but remember keep in mind, things are still in flux with Avatar and plans can change (for the worse as always with WDW) and probably will..

Ok, forget the level of immersible theme in Wizarding World coming to Avatar... Be prepared for a huge show building containing Soaring Over Pandora, one eatery, and one shop, with a little bit of nice scenery.... And, well, that's it... Oh, and that budget they talked about??? Well, TDO already wants it slashed, the MBA bean counters have made sure it gets slashed, and, well, we know how stuff turns out when things get slashed...

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:41 AM
I feel that at least these attractions are in the right park DHS. I am not a fan of Indiana Jones or Star Wars but I admit I like Tower of Terror. As for the great movie ride I love it. But it fits in that park and I do wish they would put more disney films into the mix. Honestly DHS is my least favorite park after a ride on TSM and TT we leave. My family spends a bulk of our time at MK and we have grown children in college.
Don't get me wrong I understand why Disney is doing it , It just doesn't interest me. I didn't see the movie and I am looking forward more to the new fantasyland.

Doesn't have to interest you.. That's fine.. I can appreciate and accept that... I have no interest in a poorly designed Dumbo queue which looks no better than a mall play ground... But, I understand why they built it.. Great concept, but once again, executed poorly.. But, it will serve its purpose and do its job, so I cannot complain too much, especially since I am not the target audience...

If we are going to get technical and say, well Star Wars and Indiana Jones are in the right park (a park themed to Hollywood and the movies) well, then, shouldn't we close down every other ride in MK, DAK, and two of them in Epcot and move them into DHS since they are based on movies too??? Sometimes, we need to look deeper into the theme and what they are trying to accomplish rather than, well, it is a movie and belongs in a theme park dedicated to movies...

Avatar, in concept, fits perfect... Read Staggs description of it again... just remove AVATAR from the announcement.. What does it read like??? Beastly Kingdomme... And fans were all a flutter over BK...

They have the opportunity to do great things with Cameron and Avatar... but, alas, they are going to jump the shark on this... They have the opportunity to bring more of the conservation message to DAK... They have a chance to bring fantasy-like animals to DAK (even though they are from another planet... who said the fantasy creatures had to be from earth??? I didn't see that written in some DAK law book)... they have a chance to rival and beat Wizarding World... but, as is status quo with WDW, they won't... They will cheapen out, and STILL jack prices 10 times the rate of inflation...

All the while Universal creates another out of this world Potter ride with an incredible themed Diagon Alley, and a possible 4th hotel (land is being prepped as I type this), a well themed water park (and what becomes of Wet N Wild after that??? Better get your fun in there now :) )... And then what ever else they have planned (and they have a lot of great stuff planned for Uni and IOA for the next 5 or 6 years)... While SeaWorld builds a new Antarctica area with a state of the art penguin attraction, where your ride is trackless, makes you feel like you are gliding on ice, and the ride will be different each and every time you ride it... With LegoLand opening a water park, looking into hotels to make it a resort destination, oh and more park expansion... I forgot to mention, SeaWorld is about to make their area a resort destination too finally having their own hotel and NOT just partnering with others in the area...

The game is being upped in Central Florida... WDW has no answers... And no New Fantasyland is NOT their response or answer to anything... it was forced onto TDO (who also wanted THIS budget slashed) because they bungled the park capacity due to: THEIR CHEAPNESS...

HackLaSalle
06-06-2012, 02:00 AM
That's not the first time I've heard the huge show building idea. But they have executed it well in one of the foreign parks (can't think off the top of my head).

It is sad that the bottom line is what drives everything. But they are a business and if the other Orlando parks make inroads then that's what will start to really move things.

When you look at TEA's rankings you see that the first 8 of the top ten are Disney parks. All four Orlando gates lost 100,000 visitors over the past year. (Could be said that all 100,000 were the same 100,000) But IOA lost 1.7 millions guests. We can talk alot about the other parks denting Disney but it's not showing.

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Hack, where did IOA lose 1.7 million guests??? Their attendance shot up 30% from 2009 to 2010 and then another 29% from 2010 to 2011... Universal Studios saw only a modest gain from 2010 to 2011 (2 % increase)... IOA is now pulling in over 7 million guests through its gates, attendance has been extremely high so far again this year, and is the one park who is challenging three of Disney's parks in Florida, only 2 million guest differential in attendance between IOA to DAK and DHS...

And where is it denting WDW??? In the pockets... I said this in the ticket increase thread... WDW's bottom line numbers are artificially inflated due to jacking up the cost of food and merchandise... Merchandise sales are stagnant in WDW (cheap genetic merchandise will do that)...

In Universal, merchandise sales are through the roof (thanks to Harry Potter)... THAT is what concerns Disney... The fact people are now leaving property and spending more days at other places... You have to ask yourself why the shift suddenly???

So, while the attendance numbers may look good, they aren't the only thing to look at... look at the bigger picture... The bigger picture shows a major shift in Orlando... And it isn't toward WDW...

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Just to clarify the post above (I couldn't edit it)... here are the numbers showing IOA's 29% gain in attendance last year, not a decrease but an INCREASE of another 1.7 million guests:

http://www.aecom.com/deployedfiles/Internet/Capabilities/Economics/_documents/120529%20Theme%20Index_low%20res_FINAL.pdf

dizneydeb22
06-06-2012, 03:48 PM
OK, so some people love the idea of Avatar Land and some people do not. We all get it, but not every ride is meant to appeal to every person!!!!

I wouldn't dare try Mission Space, but that doesn't mean that I berate my husband and nephews for standing in line and going on the ride. I simply do something I know they do not enjoy!

This is not a right or wrong issue...it is about opinion.

I may wind up hating Avatar Land, but I'm going to give it a shot. If I don't like it, I'll go see It's Tough to be a Bug and call it a day!

ONe of the things I love about Disney is the diversity! Diversity of cultures, people, thrills, and so on...

waymickey
06-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Avatar, in concept, fits perfect... Read Staggs description of it again... just remove AVATAR from the announcement.. What does it read like??? Beastly Kingdomme... And fans were all a flutter over BK...

They have the opportunity to do great things with Cameron and Avatar... but, alas, they are going to jump the shark on this... They have the opportunity to bring more of the conservation message to DAK... They have a chance to bring fantasy-like animals to DAK (even though they are from another planet... who said the fantasy creatures had to be from earth??? I didn't see that written in some DAK law book)... they have a chance to rival and beat Wizarding World... but, as is status quo with WDW, they won't... They will cheapen out, and STILL jack prices 10 times the rate of inflation...

Ok I see your point. I was not really thinking about the other rides that are not Disney. Probably because some of those rides were there from the start of my going to Disney. I like the idea of Beastly Kingdom and would love them to really do something immersevie.

But if rumours are a little right then a hokey fly over of Pandora in "Soaring Style" has me even more turned off.
Disney is not going to change the tide if they don't start to come up with some real imaginative ideas of their own and be willing to see it through with the $$$$$$$$.

ChipNDale79
06-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Ok I see your point. I was not really thinking about the other rides that are not Disney. Probably because some of those rides were there from the start of my going to Disney. I like the idea of Beastly Kingdom and would love them to really do something immersevie.

But if rumours are a little right then a hokey fly over of Pandora in "Soaring Style" has me even more turned off.
Disney is not going to change the tide if they don't start to come up with some real imaginative ideas of their own and be willing to see it through with the $$$$$$$$.

I don't think its going to be anything like Soarin, i think you would see that in another theme park other than Disney, but I just don't see Disney doing that again. They will do this right, and I'm sure the E-ticket attraction here will blow people away.

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 11:22 AM

I've defended Avatar in DAK tooth and nail, as you can see by my posts here... I truly felt Pandora lends itself to a great theme park land... Cameron created a stunning landscape, and wow, imagine what Imagineering could do if only the bean counters relaxed the purse strings a bit and allowed them creative control??? Wizarding World is a perfect example when you let creative minds work without the handcuffs..

But, I agree with you.. And I have said ti before.. if all they do is clone Soarin, it is an epic fail... And with what was described, Avatar will be more of a mini-land rather than a full land: 1 ride, 1 restaurant, 1 gift shop... Oh, and FotLK, which should get moved to make even more space available, WON'T BE, thus cutting into that 12 acres that they claimed Avatar would take up...

And yet, people don't want to listen when I said Disney is cutting spending at the U.S. parks... The budget for Avatar has already been slashed...

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think its going to be anything like Soarin, i think you would see that in another theme park other than Disney, but I just don't see Disney doing that again. They will do this right, and I'm sure the E-ticket attraction here will blow people away.

From your mouth, or fingers, to Disney's ears... but this isn't how they operate in WDW.. it is cut cut cut cut cut till you have something watered down from what it could have been... I have faith in WDI that they can create something great... I have no faith in TDO or the MBAs who actually make the creative decisions (why I have no idea all they know is numbers and nothing about being creative) to allow something great to be built...

Their attitude is: why should they??? People flock there anyway... They continue to dumb down WDW, but yet, people still go... AND WDW GETS DEFENDED!!! Which really baffles me... TDO talks down to their guests, treats them like clueless morons (sadly some guests are) and yet, people defend them as if they are God's gift to the world... But this is a topic for another thread...

Anyway, I'm not holding out hope for this land to be what I thought it could be... I hope I'm wrong (I love it when Disney proves me wrong, but they haven't in a while)... I guess we'll see...

WDWPrincess
06-17-2012, 02:14 AM
I think the proof is in the pudding. All that matters is whether the new attractions will be GREAT or not. If Cameron's flying attraction knocks our socks off, then we won't care about what movie it's based upon. We'll just want to ride over and over. So that should be the focus. I'd still rather have a one GREAT ride that lasts a while instead of three or four mediocre rides designed to keep guests occupied under the umbrella of a NEW LAND. I'm talking to you E-ticket-less Fantasyland Expansion.

DizneyFreak2002
06-17-2012, 11:39 AM
I think the proof is in the pudding. All that matters is whether the new attractions will be GREAT or not. If Cameron's flying attraction knocks our socks off, then we won't care about what movie it's based upon. We'll just want to ride over and over. So that should be the focus. I'd still rather have a one GREAT ride that lasts a while instead of three or four mediocre rides designed to keep guests occupied under the umbrella of a NEW LAND. I'm talking to you E-ticket-less Fantasyland Expansion.

As of now, all Avatar will be is Soar Over Pandora... Nothing great about that.. Recycling of already in use technology... Which is all WDW has been..

Remember the day when WDW used to be innoventive, cutting edge, and ahead of the competition?? Not anymore...

Now it is glorified McDonald's playgrounds and "just good enough"... Amazing how far the management team, and WDW in general, as sunk in the last 10 years...

Mackflava99
06-28-2012, 02:34 PM
If Avatarland is done well and has something different than we get to experience today, I will welcome it with open arms. I enjoyed the movie and it was a Phenom for a decent amount of time. Part 2 and 3 will entrench it or ruin it, depending on how good they are.

I grew up on the Avengers and love the fact the movie has done well, but it is not going to work in the current park , especialy with the Universal complications.

That said,
You really cannot compare Avatar to Star Wars in any way or fashion. its not going to ever be 1/3 as popular.
There should be a Star Wars land , that is what puzzles me. It would BLOW AWAY Harry Potter.
Star wars has grown and still lives- Clone wars cartoons, video games and an entire new universe of novels. There are endless opportunities to create something so incredible it would probably vault that park to a status directly behind Magic Kingdom.

People always complain that DHS is not a full day park, but adding a Star Wars land would make it a 2 day park.

gratuspater
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Remember the day when WDW used to be innoventive, cutting edge, and ahead of the competition?? Not anymore...

I agree, I do wish they would create more original attractions. And quite rebadging the other rides with whatever movie fits best. Some of my favorite rides are the classics, (before they were movies) POC, HM, BTM, The living seas (pre nemo). I think it is the attention to deatail, that I like the most. So even though I wasn't a huge Avatar fan, Avatarland may turn out good, if they put that level of detail into it. So I'm hopeful for Avatarland, but I would really like to see a real Disney Imagineer turn out some original ideas.:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Could it be possible to get excited about Avatar again??? Latest: the attraction may actually be an E ticket which shares a ride system, not with Soarin, but with a new hybrid system... So, instead of Soarin 2.0, we may actually get something worthwhile... Ohh how I hope this is true...

HackLaSalle
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I just want to know how they can Imagineer Luigi's Flying Tires into Avatarland. Those look like hours of fun.

Cinderelley
07-19-2012, 06:19 AM
I didn't like Avatar, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

MaterializedHaunt
07-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I did enjoy the movie and I thought it was a cool concept. But to make it into a section of AK is terrible. I think it looks very pretty but doesn't work with the concept of AK. AK is there for animals real and mythical. Mythical as in yeti's and dragons and creatures of lore. Avatar creatures were just designed up by a group of people and have no lore behind it... that I know of.

Also, and I am not sure how true this to be. But I think this is just WDWs response to Universal's Harry Potter Land. At least Harry Potter fans are around and reading books and its been around for 50years and multiple movies. This is a sad excuse to make AK larger and seem more up to date with growing times. Why not make another lore section, maybe about Loch Nes or Gnomes or something that has been around for a while. Maybe I am just being nitpicky.

Dont get me wrong I know Disney and I am faithful that this place will look amazing and the interactions in rides/characters/cast will be wonderful. I just think is irrelevant. Maybe they should have a FigmentLand! :number1: haha

DizneyFreak2002
07-19-2012, 07:30 PM
How long as Harry Potter been around???? I hope 50 years was a typo.. ;)

MaterializedHaunt
07-20-2012, 12:10 AM
How long as Harry Potter been around???? I hope 50 years was a typo.. ;)

Wow nope that certainly wasnt a typo. More like a brain fart :blush: I dont know why I was thinking it, but I was thinking Lord of the Rings for some crazy reason. My mind is lost, dont mind me. :D

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Wow nope that certainly wasnt a typo. More like a brain fart :blush: I dont know why I was thinking it, but I was thinking Lord of the Rings for some crazy reason. My mind is lost, dont mind me. :D

Tis ok... I know what you were meant... And I don't disagree... Potter been around for a while and has a huge fan base... Avatar is a new IP that hasn't been entrenched into society yet... And we don't know if it ever will...

With that said, I really don't think the IP matters... if the ride is excellent, IP doesn't even make half the attraction... it is only a small element...

MaterializedHaunt
07-20-2012, 12:43 AM
You know what would make sense. They do all the "animal kingdom" stuff. But they dont do much with underwater there. I know Nemo is there but 70% of the earth is water. They should take Nemo and move it over there and give Nemo/Mermaids and such maybe? I just feel like Avatar isnt the right fit. I hope it falls through. I think Nemo has more of a fan base then Avatar.
Although I have to say Walt Disney said "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together" And I think Avatar would relate more to adults/kids then Nemo would. I think Nemo would be more kiddish but I know Disney would make it adult friendly too. I think I am boredline on this topic. Jeesh

darthmacho
07-21-2012, 10:36 AM
You know what would make sense. They do all the "animal kingdom" stuff. But they dont do much with underwater there. I know Nemo is there but 70% of the earth is water. They should take Nemo and move it over there and give Nemo/Mermaids and such maybe? I just feel like Avatar isnt the right fit. I hope it falls through. I think Nemo has more of a fan base then Avatar.
Although I have to say Walt Disney said "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun - together" And I think Avatar would relate more to adults/kids then Nemo would. I think Nemo would be more kiddish but I know Disney would make it adult friendly too. I think I am boredline on this topic. Jeesh

I think this is a great idea. They do have Living Seas and it already has a Nemo theme, but if they take some of the concepts from Tokyo's Disney Seas and apply it to a land in AK, it would be better than Avatar. Instead of the proposed "flying over Pandora on the back of some flying thing" you could "fly though the seas on the back of a ray" or something. Also, they could add Aquarium, which is a restaurant owned by the same company as Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex.

If they were to go back to the Beastly Kingdom concept, they could start by making a Dragon's Den like they have under the castle in Paris. Sure, they'd still have to build these things, but they could save time and money by rehashing things that work from their over-seas parks, which few Americans get to see anyway, so it will be new to them.

:shrug:

DizneyFreak2002
08-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Get ready folks... Avatar is on its way... Sight line balloons were up over CMM today, with the area closed down...

DizneyRox
08-02-2012, 10:51 PM
If they were to go back to the Beastly Kingdom concept, they could start by making a Dragon's Den like they have under the castle in Paris. Sure, they'd still have to build these things, but they could save time and money by rehashing things that work from their over-seas parks...
There is/was already a fire breathing dragon over at CMM. I think you can see the den (rock formation) from the bridge, and it used to be capable of breathing fire. I witnessed it on one of the Discovery River boat rides way back in the late 90's... Without a supporting land over there though, it doesn't make much sense...

Melanie
09-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Sooooooooo, is the buzz I'm reading true? Avatarland delayed indefinitely because of creative differences between Cameron and WDI? Say it isn't so. ;)

Mfarquar
09-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I heard that it is not delayed because of creative differences.

I heard that it's delayed because James Cameron is delaying the start of filming for the 2nd and 3rd installments.

Obviously, all parties involved will want the Animal Kingdom attractions' opening to coincide with the release of the film.

However, with the size of this investment, Disney may not agree with the other players.

Good luck getting Cameron to back down - if another blockbuster is set to be released when Avatar is, he will surely rally to change the date. He pushed Titanic back 6 months for this reason...

Mfarquar
09-05-2012, 07:45 AM
P.S. Disney must be loving this. Rumors are abound this weekend that Universal is really ahead of schedule with their new Orlando Transformers attraction. Apparently, they're flying through the construction with crews working day and as much at night as possible. Rumors are that they will open months and months ahead of time - July 2013.

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
P.S. Disney must be loving this. Rumors are abound this weekend that Universal is really ahead of schedule with their new Orlando Transformers attraction. Apparently, they're flying through the construction with crews working day and as much at night as possible. Rumors are that they will open months and months ahead of time - July 2013.

They have always been aiming to have it done by July 2013, doesn't mean that will happen... I hope it does...

in other news, the Avatar project is now, um, how should I put this, "delayed"... yea, who didn't see that coming???

Mfarquar
09-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, I am excited. This is the most chatter I've seen about July 2013. It's starting to make me think it will be true. A lot of the photos that have come out over the past few days are very promising.

As for Avatar, it is unfortunate but not surprising that a delay will probably happen.

I expected a delay, but not so soon in the planning process. It will especially be unfortunate if the delay is due to a movie production schedule instead of weather, construction/logistical issues, etc.

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Yes, I am excited. This is the most chatter I've seen about July 2013. It's starting to make me think it will be true. A lot of the photos that have come out over the past few days are very promising.

As for Avatar, it is unfortunate but not surprising that a delay will probably happen.

I expected a delay, but not so soon in the planning process. It will especially be unfortunate if the delay is due to a movie production schedule instead of weather, construction/logistical issues, etc.

Not even a delay... An outright cancelling of the project... Disney would only use the word "delay" if they were ever questioned...

Melanie
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I heard that it is not delayed because of creative differences.

The article I read said that was one of the main issues, along with Cameron's delaying of the films. I tend to believe the "delay" at WDW IS due to creative differences. Not blaming anyone, but he just doesn't seem to be one that would be easy to work with. I don't really see him bending for budget reasons, etc. because he'd want it done right. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I think this will go way of Hyperion Wharf, Flamingo Crossing, etc. People will eventually just stop talking about it, and in a few years, threads will pop up here and on places like Twitter - "whatever happened to Avatarland?"

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
The article I read said that was one of the main issues, along with Cameron's delaying of the films. I tend to believe the "delay" at WDW IS due to creative differences. Not blaming anyone, but he just doesn't seem to be one that would be easy to work with. I don't really see him bending for budget reasons, etc. because he'd want it done right. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I think this will go way of Hyperion Wharf, Flamingo Crossing, etc. People will eventually just stop talking about it, and in a few years, threads will pop up here and on places like Twitter - "whatever happened to Avatarland?"

Universal seemed to have been able to work with Cameron on the Terminator show...

There were Imagineers against this from the start... TDO has an aversion to taking a risk... Cameron is a perfectionist (and who can argue with the man, he hasn't made a failure yet, unlike, say Disney)... I'll trust Cameron on this... Especially after the proposal Disney gave to JK Rowling for Potter.. Laughable, completely laughable...

Melanie
09-05-2012, 11:24 AM
That's what I said - he'd want it done right and there is nothing wrong with that.

Gator
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Maybe they'll put it off long enough to cancel it altogether and replace it with a Middle-Earth attraction. You know - something that would actually attract new guests. I still haven't wrapped my mind around the fact that AvatarLand will bring loads of new people in. Will it be cool? Yes. Will people come out in droves to see it? I doubt it. What Disney needs is an attraction that has that "nerd" factor - the kind that has all the fans running out to see the new land. But I guess Disney is more interested in pushing an extreme-enviro attraction rather than something fun and exciting.

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Maybe they'll put it off long enough to cancel it altogether and replace it with a Middle-Earth attraction. You know - something that would actually attract new guests. I still haven't wrapped my mind around the fact that AvatarLand will bring loads of new people in. Will it be cool? Yes. Will people come out in droves to see it? I doubt it. What Disney needs is an attraction that has that "nerd" factor - the kind that has all the fans running out to see the new land. But I guess Disney is more interested in pushing an extreme-enviro attraction rather than something fun and exciting.

Forget Middle Earth in Disney... The Tolkein estate has been on record as saying they wouldn't work with Disney... Not only that but WB has a better relationship with Universal, so if anything LOTR would wind up there...

And as long as the attraction was top notch, millions of people would go see it despite the property used... again, how many of the millions of people who ride Splash Mountain know it comes from Song of the South??? A well done attraction would bring people in...

Stu29573
09-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Ok, I know this horse has been dead so long that now we're playing its ribs like a xylophone, but Disney should just buck up and do Beastlie Kingdome already. No licensing, no need for a blockbuster movie, no dealing with outside creative types. They could even pull in the dragons, etc from their own classics and so a villians slant to it. I know they won't, for whatever reason, but it makes sense...

joonyer
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
I was looking forward to the Avatar "land" and attraction, but I'm OK with them putting it on hold or even cancelling it, especially if TDO would commit to refurbishing and restoring all of the attractions and parks that do badly need it. Splash Mountain is in pitiful shape, EE needs major work on the yeti (and other details), Carousel of Progress seems like half of the animatronics don't work most of the time, and the list goes on and on. FIX the bad show, and I think lot's of guest would be happy about that. Get everything in top shape again and then add new attraction and expand. I've got nothing against the Fantasyland expansion project, or Cars/RSR at DHS, but expansion at the expense of properly maintaining what they've already sorta defeats the purpose.

Aurora
09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Not even a delay... An outright cancelling of the project... Disney would only use the word "delay" if they were ever questioned...

Unbelievable. :shake:

Jared
09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
For what it's worth, I believed in the Avatar project. I've said before that I don't think the property matters, as long as the attractions are strong and the environment is immersive. That said, I understand the objections to it as well.

Look, it's no secret that Walt Disney Imagineering wanted nothing to do with this project. Besides Bob Iger and Tom Staggs, it seems nobody did. The problems with the film sequels is a convenient way for Disney to back away without much controversy.

Quadstriker
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
My position all along has been that Avatar is a really boring movie with no memorable characters and an incredibly bland and generic plot BUT if anyone could get anything worthwhile out of it, Disney could.

That said, I'm not surprised at all they're backing off of it, and I'm glad they are as long as resources both human and financial are infused into other key areas.

Mousemates
09-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Unbelievable. :shake:

:ditto:
:shake: :shake:

Aurora
09-05-2012, 05:35 PM
I was looking forward to the Avatar "land" and attraction, but I'm OK with them putting it on hold or even cancelling it, especially if TDO would commit to refurbishing and restoring all of the attractions and parks that do badly need it. ... FIX the bad show, and I think lot's of guest would be happy about that. Get everything in top shape again and then add new attraction and expand. I've got nothing against the Fantasyland expansion project, or Cars/RSR at DHS, but expansion at the expense of properly maintaining what they've already sorta defeats the purpose.

... I'm not surprised at all they're backing off of it, and I'm glad they are as long as resources both human and financial are infused into other key areas.

I'm just curious -- why does anyone think they will take the money that they would have used for Avatarland and spruce up everything else with it? More likely they'll use it to build some version of Radiator Springs Racers on a much smaller budget. Or not.

I'm amazed that they keep announcing these huge projects -- Hyperion Wharf, Avatarland -- and then backing off of them. That, plus attractions that are failing and increasing reports of surly CMs... there's just no good way to spin this!

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm just curious -- why does anyone think they will take the money that they would have used for Avatarland and spruce up everything else with it? More likely they'll use it to build some version of Radiator Springs Racers on a much smaller budget. Or not.

I'm amazed that they keep announcing these huge projects -- Hyperion Wharf, Avatarland -- and then backing off of them. That, plus attractions that are failing and increasing reports of surly CMs... there's just no good way to spin this!

They won't... They will do what they always do... Cancel the project and add the money budgeted for the project into the artificially inflated bottom line... Thus increasing their bonus checks...

Don't think for one minute the Avatar money would go to DHS... separate budgets... Completely separate budgets.... And no, they won't combine them...

Gator
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Forget Middle Earth in Disney... The Tolkein estate has been on record as saying they wouldn't work with Disney... Not only that but WB has a better relationship with Universal, so if anything LOTR would wind up there...

And as long as the attraction was top notch, millions of people would go see it despite the property used... again, how many of the millions of people who ride Splash Mountain know it comes from Song of the South??? A well done attraction would bring people in...

First, Tolkien said that way back in the 60s when Disney was making a bunch of cartoons. So I wouldn't consider it completely off the table.

Second, Disney isn't trying to get former customers to return for a trip to see a new ride. They need Harry Potter power to attract thousands who've never darkened their turnstiles. Like when Star Tours got a bunch of us StarWars nerds to come to Disney, when before we'd never go to "see a bunch of princesses".

DizneyFreak2002
09-05-2012, 06:20 PM
First, Tolkien said that way back in the 60s when Disney was making a bunch of cartoons. So I wouldn't consider it completely off the table.

Second, Disney isn't trying to get former customers to return for a trip to see a new ride. They need Harry Potter power to attract thousands who've never darkened their turnstiles. Like when Star Tours got a bunch of us StarWars nerds to come to Disney, when before we'd never go to "see a bunch of princesses".

The thing is, the estate has said as much too.. In the end money talks, but if the people running his estate abide by his wishes, then LotR will never be in a Disney park...

phlo8810
09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I for one hope this gets cancelled. How can you build a park around an unproven franchise? Avatar was alright but not good enough to bring the masses to a theme park. It did huge numbers in the theatre because of the 3D and SE. Not because of the story. I don't think people have a "connection" with avatar like they would with LOTR, SW or indiana. I think star wars is the solution. The possibilities are endless. Look at the crowds that SW weekends attract and theres really nothing special about them other than seeing a bunch of people in costumes and a bunch of new merchandise to buy.

Jared
09-05-2012, 10:13 PM
For the record, our pal DizneyFreak is correct about "The Lord of the Rings." If the theme-park rights are ever sold, it will almost certainly be to Universal. It doesn't hurt that Warner Bros. and Universal already have a nice working relationship because of the wizard.

Mfarquar
09-07-2012, 07:46 AM
According to Screamscape (who is usually pretty accurate), local sources are reporting that work has not halted on Avatar despite the report from IGN that it was on hold. Reports say that work is continuing to stay on target with established deadlines.

Of course, we don't know who these local sources are, but hopefully this will materialize over the next week or two.

Anyone over visiting AK this week that may be able to confirm or deny any activity?

The last photos I saw were from August 6th...

tiggerbuddy
09-07-2012, 09:07 AM
don't know if this bugs anyone else but it really bothers me. I hate the Idea of it, it seems pointless and stupid.

I for one agree..

faline
09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Not sure of the truthfulness but just read an article this morning that there is disagreement on the concepts for the park area which might, ultimately, lead to this deal coming apart. Personally, I just don't think Avatar is what Disney should be hanging their hat on.

Stu29573
09-07-2012, 09:32 AM
The whole situation, from the initial idea to the confusion during the project, to the possible cancellation, screams of WDW's lack of focus and vision. Who's job is it to provide focus and vision? Upper management. Can 'em all.

Aurora
09-07-2012, 09:44 AM
The whole situation, from the initial idea to the confusion during the project, to the possible cancellation, screams of WDW's lack of focus and vision. Who's job is it to provide focus and vision? Upper management. Can 'em all.

Yes, for all the criticism of Michael Eisner's reign, he had least had that. Can someone please get these people some spectacles?

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
According to Screamscape (who is usually pretty accurate), local sources are reporting that work has not halted on Avatar despite the report from IGN that it was on hold. Reports say that work is continuing to stay on target with established deadlines.

Of course, we don't know who these local sources are, but hopefully this will materialize over the next week or two.

Anyone over visiting AK this week that may be able to confirm or deny any activity?

The last photos I saw were from August 6th...

I wouldn't trust Lance as a well respected source... He posts anything... If I emailed him right now saying I am an insider with knowledge of plans, Avatar is cancelled and they are building Mysterious Island instead, he'll post it...

This is the same guy who was convinced Transformers wasn't coming to SS44 in Universal despite all evidence pointing to it otherwise... And it was only when he was called out for falling for the ruse that he then said his inside sources are telling him it is Transformers... Meanwhile we knew it for months before he admitted it...

Mfarquar
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't trust Lance as a well respected source... He posts anything... If I emailed him right now saying I am an insider with knowledge of plans, Avatar is cancelled and they are building Mysterious Island instead, he'll post it...

Ohhhh, maybe we should try that ;)

Eh, for what it's worth, I think it's going to be AWHILE before Disney admits anything. From a PR perspective it's quite embarrassing to cancel something after all this press.

All I know, is that if it is ultimately canceled all together, they better have a GREAT replacement in the works - and fast.

Roger's #1 Fan
09-07-2012, 01:22 PM
I think the only real movement we could see is if FoTLK goes dark like it is scheduled and there is some announcement around its relocation to the Africa section. That's the only thing of substance in that section anyway.

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Ohhhh, maybe we should try that ;)

Eh, for what it's worth, I think it's going to be AWHILE before Disney admits anything. From a PR perspective it's quite embarrassing to cancel something after all this press.

All I know, is that if it is ultimately canceled all together, they better have a GREAT replacement in the works - and fast.

They won't ever admit a project is cancelled... They will just never mention it and hope it is forgotten...

DizneyFreak2002
09-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I think the only real movement we could see is if FoTLK goes dark like it is scheduled and there is some announcement around its relocation to the Africa section. That's the only thing of substance in that section anyway.

They are still moving forward with "infrastructure" changes for CMM in prepping for Pandora... They have to... Things can change in a heartbeat... Today there are creative differences, tomorrow everyone is on the same page... If they don't keep moving forward, they will face an even longer delay...

CuteAsMinnie
09-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Not sure of the truthfulness but just read an article this morning that there is disagreement on the concepts for the park area which might, ultimately, lead to this deal coming apart. Personally, I just don't think Avatar is what Disney should be hanging their hat on.

100% agree!

DizneyFreak2002
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Need an Avatar fix since it has been 1 year since the major announcement and not one piece of concept art yet? Well, here you go:

The rumored plans: a motorbike roller coaster through the flying mountains of Pandora... Your vehicles would be themed to those flying dragon creatures...

Soarin 2.0 but only over Pandora, possibly a 2nd generation of the ride

A walk through zoo featuring the animals/creatures of Pandora (AAs obviously... Oh and a side note, when Disney made their pitch to JK for Harry Potter, one of the ideas they presented to her was a walk through zoo of mythical creatures... and a video game ride like TSMM... Stop laughing, I'm not joking... No really, stop laughing, you need to catch your breath..., OK, calm now? Hey, I said stop laughing.. I admit, I'm laughing too cause that proposal is just too funny, and sad).. Back to Avatar...

Here is the delay: Disney is already trying to find ways to slash the budget (as has been discussed here before)... They want to cut the budget, to start, 20% possibly shaving off $100 million... Cameron does not want any part of the budget slashed... he wants a fully immersive land and wants the full budget to do it... Disney has proposed cutting out the coaster and adding a... wait for it.. wait for it.. another spinner... YIPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Anyway, there you have it... some updates just to keep your palates wet until the project is shelved for good or ground breaks by May 2013...

TinkerbellT421
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
I hope Cameron gets his way and gets full budget. I am already disappointed with some of the rumors and such, sounds a little disappointing to also slash a budget on something that it supposed to seem incredible. Then to cut it from being a whole land to just an area like Asia in AK, lame. I hope James Cameron gets his way, and I hope he gives them the ultimatum of all or nothing and it scares them enough to continue with the budget. But that is just IMO and I will reserve too much judgement until one of two things happen: 1) It's official that the whole thing gets scraped, 2) If it does come to fruition (a girl can dream right?) I will reserve it's possible lameness factor until I see it in person. I hate to have to eat my words ;)

antngoof89
09-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I hope Cameron gets his way and gets full budget. I am already disappointed with some of the rumors and such, sounds a little disappointing to also slash a budget on something that it supposed to seem incredible. Then to cut it from being a whole land to just an area like Asia in AK, lame. I hope James Cameron gets his way, and I hope he gives them the ultimatum of all or nothing and it scares them enough to continue with the budget. But that is just IMO and I will reserve too much judgement until one of two things happen: 1) It's official that the whole thing gets scraped, 2) If it does come to fruition (a girl can dream right?) I will reserve it's possible lameness factor until I see it in person. I hate to have to eat my words ;)

I really hope one of two things about this project. 1) Disney actually goes through with it and the land is absolutely beautiful. 2) Disney wants to cut the budget because the rumors about DHS expansion is real and they need to untie some capital spending in order to get that project Greenlit.

I'd love to see them expand DHS and also create Avatarland, but with the way Disney has been lately, I'm guessing they're gonna try to use the Avatar budget for both projects assuming they are real.

kbean
09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Too bad Disney would sellout to such a film with a hateful hidden meaning. These films are not and never will be classics and will be stale and yesterdays garbage in a few yrs.

joonyer
09-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Too bad Disney would sellout to such a film with a hateful hidden meaning. These films are not and never will be classics and will be stale and yesterdays garbage in a few yrs.

Almost every movie can have a "hidden" meaning depending on the perspective of the viewer, whether the producer/director intended that meaning or not. But any "hidden" meaning has nothing to do with Disney's decision to pursue this project. One can argue that the movie will never be a classic, will become stale, etc., but the fact remains that Avatar is the highest grossing box-office movie in history. I'm sure that fact was the "meaning" behind Disney's decision to consider this project.

DizHawk
09-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Simply my opinion, but if Cameron wants the full budget, then he can provide it. His movies have made enough money for him to be able to do it, and since the Avatar area would be nothing but a huge billboard for his movies he'd make the money back.

I still hate the idea. Avatar was ONE movie. He's going to follow it up with two more, but it kind of reminds me of The Matrix. It was one great movie followed by two huge bombs. Disney should have never agreed to this until they see the staying power of Avatar. If the next two are huge hits, then maybe. I'd rather see them spend the money to update Epcot or DHS.

Quadstriker
09-20-2012, 06:03 PM

I contacted 37 members of the American Film Institute this morning*, and they all agreed that the only meanings that can be derived from Avatar are best represented by two symbols.

$

Z (as in Zzzzzzzzz)

Spend the money at Studios instead imo replacing Lights Motors Action.

*Another completely fabricated statistic by Quadstriker

DizneyFreak2002
09-20-2012, 06:31 PM
The money for the Studios and the money for Avatar are two separate budgets... If Avatar goes by the wayside, the money will NOT be put to use in DHS.. Actually, it won't be put to use at all, well, except for executive bonuses...

Quadstriker
09-20-2012, 08:40 PM
What's the fastpass return time for the executive bonuses ride?

taleasoldastime
09-20-2012, 08:47 PM

You actually have to pick your return time 180 days in advance with the new fast pass +. ;)

AXOAlum
09-20-2012, 08:52 PM

:cool: love it!

Fell asleep during the first 20 minutes of Avatar (felt like longer) - I love action/adventure movies, but this was a real snoozer. Just hurry up and shelve it!

Whomever posted that they won't admit to canceling a project, only never mentioning it and hoping it is forgotten... I can concur with just two words Equatorial Africa :secret:

Tekneek
09-20-2012, 09:11 PM
If they aren't going to go big and do it right, it is better to not do it at all. We've had enough half-way done embarrassments from Disney. It is unfortunate they didn't firm up their commitment to this before announcing it, but it wouldn't be the first time they walked away from announced lands/parks/attractions/etc.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
So let me get this straight Disney big wigs coming to the realization that the next to Avatar movies will most likely flop and most of us don't really care if there is an Avatar land or just something going into AK. Have decided to get Cameron to break the contract by slashing the budget so much that he walks. Thus saving themselves the embarrassment of being the ones to stop the project. They can blame Cameron for not working with them. Then they will all get a bonus and a raise for being so clever. Did I leave anything out?:D

TheVBs
09-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Can't say I'm heartbroken that it won't move forward.

DisneyDawgette
09-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Preeeeeach it. Avengers stomped Avatar's butt, and Disney is about to spend a lot of money on something that people forgot about the month after they saw it. And coming from a girl who LOVES Gone With the Wind and Lord of the Rings (both super LONG movies), I don't have the patience to sit through Avatar again because it's so long and slow. Bleh, I have no interest in this idea.

ALSO, I grew up with Harry Potter! It was the first chapter book that I remember reading with my mom as a kid, and as I grew, so did Harry! It was a 12-year LEGACY. It proved its popularity ten-fold and made quite a reputation for itself in the years that it has been around.
That being said, Avatar has no legacy, and no generation of die-hards to follow it. A grand total of ONE movie that made a lot of money the first couple weeks, and then no one remembered it a year later. Sure, it's pretty, but CGI has become so accessible that I don't think it's anything special. Why is this thought of as a good response to HP? Come on, Disney.

I'd be game for some Avengers, though. Don't know how that would work into the parks, but at least they're flippin' awesome.

DizneyFreak2002
09-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Preeeeeach it. Avengers stomped Avatar's butt, and Disney is about to spend a lot of money on something that people forgot about the month after they saw it. And coming from a girl who LOVES Gone With the Wind and Lord of the Rings (both super LONG movies), I don't have the patience to sit through Avatar again because it's so long and slow. Bleh, I have no interest in this idea.

ALSO, I grew up with Harry Potter! It was the first chapter book that I remember reading with my mom as a kid, and as I grew, so did Harry! It was a 12-year LEGACY. It proved its popularity ten-fold and made quite a reputation for itself in the years that it has been around.
That being said, Avatar has no legacy, and no generation of die-hards to follow it. A grand total of ONE movie that made a lot of money the first couple weeks, and then no one remembered it a year later. Sure, it's pretty, but CGI has become so accessible that I don't think it's anything special. Why is this thought of as a good response to HP? Come on, Disney.

I'd be game for some Avengers, though. Don't know how that would work into the parks, but at least they're flippin' awesome.

Up for avengers? Then you'll be visiting every Disney park but WDW... :) No Avenges in WDW...

DisneyDawgette
09-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Up for avengers? Then you'll be visiting every Disney park but WDW... :) No Avenges in WDW...

How come?! :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
09-29-2012, 11:37 PM
How come?! :confused:

Universal owns the theme park rights to Marvel... Disney cannot use Marvel in WDW...

DisneyDawgette
09-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Well that is sad! Especially because it did a bang up job at the box office... I suppose it's only right to share! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Psst, we may be able to remove ON HOLD from the thread title... Cameron has supposedly given WDI/Disney the go ahead with their Avatar plans.... Until actual construction, anything can happen, but, well, seems like the Avatar haters may not be getting their wish...

The details? Well, sure:

C ticket attraction which is expected to be the walk through of Pandora, which may be the entrance into the land and partly housed in the giant E-ticket show building... What is the possible E-ticket? Well, if what has been said is true, it will be a giant building, several floors large... Guests will enter into one of the upper floors, and enter a giant 3D simulator... There is expected to be 3 or 4 theaters with three rows of seats in each theater... The attraction should double Soarin, lasting about 8 minutes (unless cuts are done and we all know TDO loves budget cuts)... Now, whether the vehicles are similar to Soarin, no idea... But one would think this attraction may be the next evolution of those Soarin vehicles... Adding in a 3D element should make this one heck of an attraction...

There will also be a few other additions to the land such as merchandise stores and dining options...

it is possible we get an announcement of this and concept art on December 7 press event... Not 100% guaranteed to be announced, but slightly possible...

Oh and fear not.. This project, as I said many times before, has no bearing on the DHS extreme make over, theme park edition....

EDIT: The project is called Morpho, for the camera Disney is currently in research and development mode with... And this ride system may wind up being similar to the ride system that may be used in DL's Iron Man attraction (and no, that doesn't mean Marvel in WDW, we all know why!!!)....

DizneyFreak2002
10-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Since I cannot edit the above post anymore, I figured i would add this in as well... The C-ticket is kind of up for debate... Could be the walk through, but a boat ride type of attraction is what is on the current plans that Cameron approved of.... Sorry, no details on it.. I'm trying to get a hold of the plans that seem to be flying around (some people I do trust have seen them, but I cannot get a hold of them, and I'm mad!!!! :mad:)... all in all, well, sounds interesting.. and no, this isn't Soarin 2.0... This will be much much better...

TinkerbellT421
10-25-2012, 12:10 AM
I'm anxious :thumbsup: thank you for the info! :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
10-25-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm anxious :thumbsup: thank you for the info! :mickey:

Persistence pays off... Just trying to determine if something I may or may not have are legit..

Let's just say, seems as if the C-ticket would be a boat ride of some sort, not the walk through.. of course, if these are legit and not some hoax... Show building for the E-ticket: MASSIVE...

BrerGnat
10-25-2012, 08:52 AM
Persistence pays off... Just trying to determine if something I may or may not have are legit..

Let's just say, seems as if the C-ticket would be a boat ride of some sort, not the walk through.. of course, if these are legit and not some hoax... Show building for the E-ticket: MASSIVE...

There is a rough blue print like plan that Intercot just retweeted on Twitter this morning.

I'm admittedly NOT a fan of this idea as a whole, but even if it was any other theme, all I have to say is...ANOTHER 3D simulator ride? Really? Now I'm even less interested.

DizneyFreak2002
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Zsolt Hormayhas been brought on board to work with the Pandora environment and possible rock work for the Avatar land... If the name doesn't sound familiar, no worries, I had no idea who he was either... But, reading the article, he seems to be the person to produced the exteriors of Mysterious Island, Tree of Life, Tower of Terror, And Big Thunder Mountain in Paris... So, the guy does great work... I fully believe, with the proof that Zsolt can do fabulous work, Avatar will be gorgeous visually...

DizneyFreak2002
10-25-2012, 11:13 AM
There is a rough blue print like plan that Intercot just retweeted on Twitter this morning.

I'm admittedly NOT a fan of this idea as a whole, but even if it was any other theme, all I have to say is...ANOTHER 3D simulator ride? Really? Now I'm even less interested.

Yea, apparently the plans are legit, and circulated around the internet like wild fire LOL... Twitter was flooded... I knew it was only a matter of time before the plans were available for everyone to see... That's why I remained patient LOL... :)

However, while this may be a 3D simulator type attraction, it also isn't going to be your regular 3D simulator... That is, it isn't planned on being your regular 3D simulator... Then TDO will get their axe out, chop this and that, and before you know it, we'll have 1980's simulators LOL...

But, if what others have said are true, this may wind up being the same system being discussed and planned for the Iron Man attraction in DL, which is a bit more than just a regular 3d simulator... But, only time will tell what the finished product will look like...

Don't Disney fans like to shout "Don't judge something until it is open" when the comments are a bit negative toward a Disney project? Well, I think that needs to be applied here too.. We have yet to see concept art (may finally see some Dec 7, but I'll believe it when i see it).., We have yet to hear the official word from Disney... So, maybe we need to sit back and relax and not bash the project until we see what is actually makes the true final cut... Then, bash away if the project doesn't impress you... Believe me, I'll be ready to state my opinion one way or the other...

TinkerbellT421
10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Zsolt Hormayhas been brought on board to work with the Pandora environment and possible rock work for the Avatar land... If the name doesn't sound familiar, no worries, I had no idea who he was either... But, reading the article, he seems to be the person to produced the exteriors of Mysterious Island, Tree of Life, Tower of Terror, And Big Thunder Mountain in Paris... So, the guy does great work... I fully believe, with the proof that Zsolt can do fabulous work, Avatar will be gorgeous visually...

It appears he also had a hand in the creating of Cars Land as well :thumbsup:

Reading up on him, I am even more excited to see what will be done. I have always been amazed by the tree of life design and obviously love the great work of Big Thunder and how realistic it looks to me with the rock formations, etc. I am excited for this project. While I still hold skepticism in the sense of I will believe it when I see it, and hope they do not make as many (hopefully not any, I'm an optimist at times) cuts to the budget and current ideas that are circulating. I enjoyed the idea of an Avatar Land when it was first announced, apparently I am one of the few. But I will not bash the project until I see what happens. Then like you said DisneyFreek, I will criticize once I see it. I would rather hold my words now to not have to eat them later ;)

Roger's #1 Fan
10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Wonder if they will keep him in the area long term, to handle the DHS makeover as well? (CL anyone?)

DizneyFreak2002
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
It appears he also had a hand in the creating of Cars Land as well :thumbsup:

Reading up on him, I am even more excited to see what will be done. I have always been amazed by the tree of life design and obviously love the great work of Big Thunder and how realistic it looks to me with the rock formations, etc. I am excited for this project. While I still hold skepticism in the sense of I will believe it when I see it, and hope they do not make as many (hopefully not any, I'm an optimist at times) cuts to the budget and current ideas that are circulating. I enjoyed the idea of an Avatar Land when it was first announced, apparently I am one of the few. But I will not bash the project until I see what happens. Then like you said DisneyFreek, I will criticize once I see it. I would rather hold my words now to not have to eat them later ;)

:thumbsup: Funny me saying this but, I feel a good 10 years in WDW's future...

Quadstriker
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Avatar-hater here, but the proposed attractions sound good.

TinkerbellT421
10-25-2012, 03:00 PM
:thumbsup: Funny me saying this but, I feel a good 10 years in WDW's future...

Are you feeling okay?? :ill: hehe couldn't help myself ;)

DizneyFreak2002
10-25-2012, 03:07 PM
Are you feeling okay?? :ill: hehe couldn't help myself ;)

No... I am feeling feverish and dizzy, head spinning... change of seasons/weather I guess can do that LOL... Or maybe it is all the news coming from the theme parks this past week... Now, waiting patiently for something to seep out about SeaWorld, cause they are being left out of the party...

Roger's #1 Fan
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't know if they were real or not, but saw some layouts for the ride building and the ride system itself. I'm guessing you saw them as well DizneyFreak?

It looks like an interesting concept but since I've never acutally SEEN Avatar I'm wondering how this would be pulled off thematically.