PDA

View Full Version : WDW Ticket Price Increase

DizneyFreak2002
05-21-2012, 01:48 PM
RUMOR: WDW ticket prices will be raised to $89 a ticket sometime in June... This is a $4.00 increase from $85.00... I got this info from a friend who claims to have read it from the HUB... If someone can back this up, great... if not, we'll keep it as a rumor until Disney officially announces the increase...

DizneyRox
05-21-2012, 03:08 PM
I have nothing official for you, but I would bet the farm they ARE going to be raising prices this year, and it's always confused my why they seemed to raise them after the peak season instead of before peak season. Seems like they would see more money faster raising them BEFORE the majority of people take their summer vacation.

I vote sooner rather than later...

elliott
05-21-2012, 05:03 PM
I was about to buy tickets online a couple of days ago -- I should have done it then. I see today the prices are higher...

Elliott

DizneyFreak2002
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I have nothing official for you, but I would bet the farm they ARE going to be raising prices this year, and it's always confused my why they seemed to raise them after the peak season instead of before peak season. Seems like they would see more money faster raising them BEFORE the majority of people take their summer vacation.

I vote sooner rather than later...

I fully expected prices to rise too... But Disneyland announced theirs already without a peep from WDW... Then my friend tells me WDW's increase takes effect in June according to the HUB, so I figured, since people were wondering, I'd bring the info here and find out if June was truly on the HUB... Me wishes me had access LOL...

DizneyFreak2002
05-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I was about to buy tickets online a couple of days ago -- I should have done it then. I see today the prices are higher...

Elliott

WDW tickets went up already??? I read elsewhere that AP passes were already higher for WDW... And yet, no mention from WDW about ticket price increases... Interesting...

BrerGnat
05-21-2012, 06:22 PM
They raised the price of the Premier Pass effective yesterday to $849, so it stands to reason that they would increase the WDW APs and other ticket media as well.

WRWDisney
05-21-2012, 06:30 PM
But they haven't yet. That increase (to the Premier Pass) is due to the May 20th Disneyland ticket price increase.

That said, the increase last year took place in June, so I'm assuming it will be coming soon.

DizneyFreak2002
05-21-2012, 08:45 PM
But they haven't yet. That increase (to the Premier Pass) is due to the May 20th Disneyland ticket price increase.

That said, the increase last year took place in June, so I'm assuming it will be coming soon.

June is what my friend said the HUB said... I assumed June or right before Fantasyland opens...

Crow
05-21-2012, 09:12 PM
yep i would bet on it. when i heard DL ones were going up i posted it. how much do you guess they will go up...

DizneyFreak2002
05-21-2012, 09:33 PM
yep i would bet on it. when i heard DL ones were going up i posted it. how much do you guess they will go up...

Good question... My friend claims teh HUB said price for a base ticket will go up to $89.00... if that is true, then the increase is $4.00 for a base one day ticket... At $89.00, add in 7% tax, the cost would be between $95 and $96...

Easy bet to take... Ticket prices (INCLUDING TAX) will hit $100.00 in 2013....

elliott
05-21-2012, 11:07 PM
The prices I checked were at Disneyland -- they have already gone up.

Crow
05-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Im wondering how people are going to afford it...i just got an AP, mainly for the discounts...but at this rate i wont renew it, as im lucky if i will b able to use it for 2 trips.
i had an AP a few yrs ago but didnt renew cause of the increases and less discounts then..
actually this trip im getting a friends military resort discount, so the AP resort discount is a non factor this trip.

DizneyFreak2002
05-22-2012, 01:11 AM
The prices I checked were at Disneyland -- they have already gone up.

Yep, Disneyland's prices already were increased, and their AP was drastically increased.. Questions remain how much of a hike WDW will get... Remember, the $89 by friend quoted was only for the base ticket, not park hopper... Nor did she tell me AP rate...

Stu29573
05-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Yep, Disneyland price increases are pretty steep, and interestingly enough, its the AP holders that are really getting the short end of the stick. Those prises went up over 30% (if I'm reading it right). Some bloggers are suggesting the reason is that the typical DL guest is local and they want the guest pattern to shift to something more like we have at WDW (more guests staying on site, staying longer, spending all their money there) Therefore, they are "weeding out" the AP guests to make more room for the "preferred" guests.
I'm not sure I buy that. I think its to cover CA expansion, but still, its an interesting theory...

fanofdisney
05-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Ok so I get an email from another site that sends out newsletters. In the email she explains that prices are expected to go up in June. Also in the email is a link to buy tickets. Each month when I get the newsletter I check the link to go over prices and decide should I buy our tickets this week or wait a little bit so I am aware of what the prices have been the last few months. With that being said when I get this month's newsletter with the announcement that tickets are going up in June I of course go to the link. Would you believe that they are charging more now for the same ticket that I looked at a month ago but Disney hasn't had their price increase yet!!! :mad: I think that is just rotten to take advantage of people who are going to purchase tickets before they go up!!! Now the price difference is only $3 but I just don't think that is right. Sorry I needed to get that off my chest :thedolls: I think I feel a little better now :fit: :blush:

Dyanna
05-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I am so glad I purchased & received my passes last week for our Oct trip. Told my friends to purchase now as well as they are going with us. Luckily I just checked my source for discount tickets & the prices were the same as last week. I dont know how Disney does it but it is sure making it that much harder to afford to take these trips. Even as a DVC owner its looking like we may go to biannual vacations to the world.

CuteAsMinnie
05-22-2012, 06:01 PM
With the Fantasyland expansion still in the works, many resorts under some sort of rehab, does it make sense for WDW ticket prices to increase THIS year??? (not that logic makes a bean of difference...:silly:

Camping Mom
05-22-2012, 10:40 PM
LOVE Disney but at what point will too high really be TOO high for a ticket!!??

BrerGnat
05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
LOVE Disney but at what point will too high really be TOO high for a ticket!!??

It's probably getting there. Honestly.

We have been fortunate in the past several years to be able to purchase SERIOUSLY discounted Armed Forces Salute tickets.

If we had to pay their prices, I can already tell you, I'd have gone at least 50% less than I have over the past 3 years.

If they don't extend the Armed Forces Salute discount another year, I doubt we will be back in 2012 OR 2013.

VWL Mom
05-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Ok so I get an email from another site that sends out newsletters. In the email she explains that prices are expected to go up in June. Also in the email is a link to buy tickets. Each month when I get the newsletter I check the link to go over prices and decide should I buy our tickets this week or wait a little bit so I am aware of what the prices have been the last few months. With that being said when I get this month's newsletter with the announcement that tickets are going up in June I of course go to the link. Would you believe that they are charging more now for the same ticket that I looked at a month ago but Disney hasn't had their price increase yet!!! :mad: I think that is just rotten to take advantage of people who are going to purchase tickets before they go up!!! Now the price difference is only $3 but I just don't think that is right. Sorry I needed to get that off my chest :thedolls: I think I feel a little better now :fit: :blush:

Thank you for letting me know I'm not totally nuts. I checked the price last month and when I bought the tickets this week I thought it was higher but began to doubt myself. Still the best deal in town though.

rmsmith1208
05-23-2012, 08:40 AM
My wife mentioned she heard the price increase on our local NC news station last night. We started discussing the reasons we may think they are doing it. I told her one reason I could see is a possible lack of tourist from overseas. With the exchange rate of the euro to dollar (in my own) not that great plus the possibility of a euro fall seems Disney may try and make up for it here. Now that is just my own .02 I could be totally wrong.
With a family of six its going to be hard to even make a yearly trip down.

AgentC
05-23-2012, 09:32 AM
It's probably getting there. Honestly.

We have been fortunate in the past several years to be able to purchase SERIOUSLY discounted Armed Forces Salute tickets.

If we had to pay their prices, I can already tell you, I'd have gone at least 50% less than I have over the past 3 years.

If they don't extend the Armed Forces Salute discount another year, I doubt we will be back in 2012 OR 2013.

If we were not FL residents, I would probably already be at that point.

I have friends coming to visit this summer. They are planning on Universal/IOA, Seaworld and Disney. We have seasonal WDW passes. To upgrade to regular annual passes, I have to pay approximately $100 a ticket, but if I had bought a 2 day ticket with pass hopping it would be approximately $240 per ticket which is about the price of my seasonal pass. My friends did a 3 day pass with 2 nights at a moderate and dining plan for around $2000. That is a pretty expensive weekend.

I will say the other parks aren't much better. Universal/IOA is $106.50 for a 1 day , 2 park FL resident ticket with black out dates. It goes to 165 for a annual with black out dates and $224 for no black out dates.

Butters
05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
What is the difference between a premiere pass and an AP?

Fangorn
05-23-2012, 08:47 PM
The Premier Pass is an Annual Pass that is good at both WDW and Disneyland. There are no blackout dates.

It is essentially a composite of a Disneyland Resort Premium Annual pass (with no blackout dates) and a Premium annual pass for WDW.

If you do multiple trips to both resorts it's a good deal even at $849. DLR premium AP is $649 and the WDW premium AP is also $649 (currently)

Steve

zipadeedoodah
05-29-2012, 12:02 PM
In regards to the ticket increase - how does it effect reservations that are already made but not paid in entirety yet. Will these prices go up after the announcement has been made, or are our package prices locked in for the september trip?

DizneyFreak2002
06-01-2012, 07:29 PM
BTW, as I said, Disney World prices rise on June 3rd... AP holders going to get raked again....

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/walt-disney-world-resort-ticket-prices-2012/

DizneyFreak2002
06-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I couldn't edit my post above... Maybe we should change the title of this thread to remove the word rumor since it is now official...

AP goes from 519 to 574.. WOW...

WDW-fanatic
06-01-2012, 08:59 PM
we booked a package with Magical Journeys months ago and have not paid the full amount yet. I asked if the package price would increase if it was not paid in full before the ticket price increase and I was told that the package price would not increase.

Tekneek
06-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Business as usual. This is a contributing cause for us to consider staying off of Disney property for our next trip. We no longer have the strong desire to be locked into Disney 24/7. For their sake, I hope the market keeps supporting these annual increases. The retreat will be harsh, if it does come.

MarkC
06-03-2012, 08:14 AM
I think Disney knows exactly what they are doing. The can keep prices high and the parks full. Lets face it-- they could cut ticket prices in half but then the parks would be overly packed and no one would enjoy it. Their pricing keeps the parks very busy but at high rates, maximizing revenue and enjoyment and causing guests to stay on property and eat on property. They have it down to a science. That's why they're Disney.

Tekneek
06-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Their pricing keeps the parks very busy but at high rates, maximizing revenue and enjoyment and causing guests to stay on property and eat on property. They have it down to a science. That's why they're Disney.

Interesting. While you say it is bringing people to the property and keeping them on the property, it is actually taking me off the property and convincing me to spend more time at other places than I would have in the past. Must be the difference between me and the rest of the crowd.

DizneyRox
06-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Disney prices to optimize profits, and will price to make up for lost business. I wouldn't be surprised if this massive increase is due to less people visiting overall or because merchandise sales are down, or something else. While they are all different departments, the bottom line is the resorts HAVE to make profits, and I know the edict used to be double digit INCREASES in profits. Merely sustaining profitability isn't really an option, stockholders won't put up with that. What does that mean? 1 million in profits this years means they need to hit 1.1 million next year. Just making 1 million again next year isn't good enough.

How many of us would be happy without a salary increase year over year. Yeah it happens, but we're not happy about it.

Where it falls apart though is at some point, people won't be able to afford it and everything spirals down, some times faster than other times. As mentioned many times, I typically spend LESS each trip that previous trips. I spent more on three years accomodations pre 2001 than my DVC contract I've had since then. Used to spend thousands on merchandise, now it's almost nothing. Food has probably gone up, but we're eating in the room more and more. We spend less time at the parks these days too, which means I can probably rethink my "AP or Bust" attitude and save even more on tickets. Even airfare is less now than when we first started going, I remember $320 on Delta Express to Orlando was the going price, I don't spend that on tickets now, cost us about $230 I think last year for the cruise.

The point is, we could spend more, and have, but now that I'm not, and not missing anything, I won't; not unless I get something (aka value) in return. A lot of people are figuring that out.

I thoroughly enjoy my cruise last year, so much we're doing another one this year and already talking about booking another onboard to leverage those discounts. I ran the number real quick last night and renting our points out is probably going to be a pretty good option, depends on the going rate. I suspect there imght be a lot of points available in the rental market, which might make renting unattractive. We'll see, we're going to need to do something with our points next year...

MarkC
06-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Tekneek-- I agree it will keep some of regulars away. We are going in August for 4 days before our annual passes expire. We are planning a family cruise next year so we won't go at all. Their pricing plan makes it almost too pricey per day for a 1-2 day trip but with the distance we won't fly for only a couple of days. People will look at the 5-7 day hopper prices and figure the average costs looks better and make a week long trip, especially if you are flying like we do. It just may not be as often. But there are a lot more people in the world who will still turn those turnstiles.

I think a lot of us on here are addicts who go regularly (and some of us excessively). However, I'm guessing the majority of guests from out of state are the "once in a lifetime family trip" types. They will still go regardless of the price increase. The funny thing is I see these posts every year about the costs driving people away, but people keep showing up. A lot of us are either wealthier or we've decided we love WDW and will spend a lot of our discretionary spending on those trips. Just my thoughts.

Tekneek
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
The funny thing is I see these posts every year about the costs driving people away, but people keep showing up.

We started cutting back when this tradition started. We cut back to every 2 years, and then to every 3 years. If the trip next year weren't part of a promise we made to one of our children, we probably wouldn't go then (pushing another year back, or maybe never). The business side of the company has tarnished the rest of it for us, to a significant degree. Not to mention how underwhelmed we were by our experience on the two most recent trips. As the prices have gone up, the quality of experience has declined for us.

The vacation comparisons that most people here make, when this discussion comes up, are ones we aren't going to do anyway. As time goes by, I understand more and more that we're just not the market segment that Disney is marketing to anymore. The days have passed when they tried hard to get us to come down and went the extra mile to make it special. More than ever, it feels like a big shakedown. The next time we go, it will be make or break time. We'll be sampling non-Disney offerings more extensively than ever before. It will be interesting to find out what our final verdict is.

quack arf squeak
06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I thought that with Eisner gone the greed would be gone too. Looks like we'll see other parts of the country for a nice change.:ack:

Ian
06-03-2012, 05:09 PM
To me it looks like this last price increase was an attempt to deter the people who do the "two trips per year on one AP" thing.

TDO just can't resist tinkering with anything they think might interfere with maximizing their revenues, so if they figured they could flip the value proposition of an AP to the point where it didn't make sense for the once-a-year types to buy it they'd jump at the chance.

I bet that's why they held the price down for DVC members, because they expect them to be coming more than once a year.

Imalismom
06-03-2012, 06:55 PM
I tried to renew my DD Annual pass yesterday, but there was 11 days before it is eligible to be renewed - major bummer! I will renew it since she goes to school in Florida, and they like to take a day here and there to go and unwind from the stress of 18 credit hours each semester...

I'll renew mine this year also, since I have the ICOT-15, and then the Toots are going in December and want me to join them for 4 days... but after this annual pass, I'll probably pass on renewing mine.

I too am spending less and less in the parks. I have moved up to club level at the resorts, but that actually saves us money in the long run, since we do a lot of eating at the lounge and not at counter service type places.

I understand they have to raise prices, I just wish they were not such big jumps in prices... even my DD tuition did not raise 8% (which I am grateful for!)

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Ian I know you are a DVC owner and AP holder... Supposedly the renewal price is $385 plus tax compared to $425 plus tax to purchase a new AP...

Ian
06-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Ian I know you are a DVC owner and AP holder... Supposedly the renewal price is $385 plus tax compared to $425 plus tax to purchase a new AP...So we'd be looking at like $410 per pass with tax.

That's almost $2,500 a year for all six of us, but it's better than the like $3,600 I thought it was going to be.

The good news is I won't have to worry about the girls needing AP's until probably May of 2014, so we get a break at a "measly" $1,640. Which is almost exactly what we paid for four AP's (non-renewal) this year, two adults and two children.

Tekneek
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I understand they have to raise prices, I just wish they were not such big jumps in prices... even my DD tuition did not raise 8% (which I am grateful for!)

It is debatable that they "have to raise prices." Wall Street analysts demanding it does not mean you have to do it. Shareholders that demand this make me wonder why they ever wanted to be an owner of the Disney company to begin with. Not all companies willingly play this game, and they do alright. Disney not only plays the game, but they enthusiastically participate.

That is why I think that, if they ever push pricing over a cliff (think of that Alpine climber guy on Price Is Right), Wall Street is going to eat them alive. Perhaps if they had talked about long term steady growth all this time, rather than feeding the sharks what they were demanding, they would have plenty of more room to grow for a longer time without hitting that cliff.

Maybe they somehow never hit that point, although it seems inevitable, and rake in ever increasing amounts of cash forever. More power to them if they've figured out how to do this. Seems more likely that their bubble will eventually burst, because history says they always do, and the impact will be ugly.

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Tek, the magic number is $100, and we are fast approaching it... I believe $100 a ticket is going to be the breaking point...

I think a lot of the issue is this: they aren't really adding anything to warrant price hikes as high has they have been... It becomes a matter of, do you feel what you receive from WDW is worth the price... Some do, some don't... I am falling into the I DON'T category...

Ian
06-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Here's the thing ... they're not even close to their bubble bursting, which is why they keep raising prices. Prices have just gone through the roof the last ten years or so and guess what? The parks have steadily become more and more and more and more packed.

Instead of high prices driving people away, it's quite the contrary ... during one of the worst (arguably the worst) recessions in modern history they've been pulling guests in like crazy.

I hate rising prices as much as everyone else (more maybe with such a big family), but the capitalist in me does understand what they're doing. Supply and demand dictates that when demand outpaces supply prices must rise.

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2012, 12:01 AM
WDW attendance has been flat the last few years, in some cases dipping a bit... DAK is the only WDW park to have seen any kind of attendance growth, and that was 2010 when the other 3 parks had a dip.. Last year, Epcot has no change at all, while attendance was barely up... I wouldn't say attendance has exactly gone through the roof... it's been constant...

Constant is not what a business wants to needs to thrive.. they need growth... WDW isn't growing, hence huge spikes in merchandise price, food price, room rates, tickets, to make up for lost revenue (no attendance growth, merchandise sales lagging, and people leaving WDW in larger numbers than in the past)...

There is a reason for the stagnation in attendance: stagnation in the parks.. MK is at capacity... It won't ever get higher than it is now... The other parks can still grow... problem is, they aren't doing anything to get those numbers up, so they artificially inflate their bottom line by raising the price of everything while lowering the quality... And in the last 10 years, WDW has lowered its quality, whether it is food, merchandise, or theme park offerings.. Entertainment is cut, rides are in rough shape, effects are shut off, attractions shuttered without replacements... old parades that should have been retired years ago, night time shows that are falling apart (Fantasmic)... That is WDW the last 10 years...

EDIT: I forgot to add... Refurbs that were cut or done on the cheap, or not getting done at all...

This is going to catch up to them, and they will eventually hit that bubble and things will burst... What is that price? I say $100...

big blue and hairy
06-04-2012, 12:37 AM
First, I'll say that I don't like to pay higher prices any more than the next person, but a couple of things to think about. First how many people outside Florida go to WDW for one day? After 3 days the per day price plummets, so how many people are actually paying $89 for a day at WDW?

Second, think about comparative entertainment value. DW and I went to see the Lion King tonight in Miami. For two tickets and dinner and parking, the bill was $377! Dinner was good at Prelude at the Arsht Center, but it wasn't even in the same league as California Grill or Citricos. Total enterainment time including dinner was 5 hours. It's all in how you look at it.

With $8 beers and sky high food, Marlins games aren't cheap, either.

:sulley:

Dsnygirl
06-04-2012, 10:41 AM
First, I'll say that I don't like to pay higher prices any more than the next person, but a couple of things to think about. First how many people outside Florida go to WDW for one day? After 3 days the per day price plummets, so how many people are actually paying $89 for a day at WDW?

Second, think about comparative entertainment value. DW and I went to see the Lion King tonight in Miami. For two tickets and dinner and parking, the bill was $377! Dinner was good at Prelude at the Arsht Center, but it wasn't even in the same league as California Grill or Citricos. Total enterainment time including dinner was 5 hours. It's all in how you look at it.

With $8 beers and sky high food, Marlins games aren't cheap, either.

As much as I hate to see the prices go up, I have to agree with you... we've seen the prices go up at every venue we frequent, every year. And like you said, not many people buy a one-day ticket... if you're going to go, you're going to at least go for a few days, and then the price gets "more" reasonable.

We just went to a wonderful country concert last night... lawn seats, couldn't really see the artists much at all, except on the screens. GREAT music, easily heard... but rain for one of the opening sets... tailgated for about an hour beforehand. Between tickets at $40pp, $9 beers once we were inside & food for the tailgate, we were in for $150... for 3 1/2 hrs of music and 30 minutes of hiding under an umbrella. (Not complaining mind you, just comparing... ;))

Even our 9 hour day at the Renaissance Fest for a family of four is a $250 day w/ a few souveniers... it's ALL just a bit crazy.

But when you love it, you go... and you keep crossing your fingers that the price won't one day keep you out... :blush:

PopPhan
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I think bb&h has a good point and I would like to expand upon it a bit....

Most people, not living in FLA, will visit for 5 days of more, thereby lowering the daily rate significantly. Those living in FLA will PROBABLY do a resident pass, which also drops the daily rate significantly. So, WHO actually does pay the daily rate? Cruise tours that have a day stop in Canaveral? The (infrequent) 'spur of the moment' FLA native? The uninitiated (those who know little of the Orlando parks [WDW or US] experience)?

In much the same vein, look at the increases in rack Room Rates....$5/night here, $10/night there...How many people pay rack rates WITHOUT some other kind of discount applied -- "Free Dining", "Kids Stay And Play Free", etc.

Disney (corporate) keeps saying that they want to dispense with the room/package discounts, but in the next breath raise prices for park entry and "extras"....I don't think that will happen in the near future, as they seem to be pulling in the attendance figures and profits (from the parks) to justify keeping things just as they are.

Question for DisneyFreak: You state in your response:

MK is at capacity... It won't ever get higher than it is now...

Isn't that one of the reasons for the FLE project? To increase park capacity? I find it rather hard to believe that the expansion of that area will NOT add capacity to the park.

DNS
06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
How upsetting. My husband kept telling me for the past two weeks to order our tickets before they went up, but I did not think that would happen this early and was trying to get past this C/C billing cycle because we had so much extra in the last month. I just figured it out and it is close to $100 more for our tickets this year than last.:(

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Question for DisneyFreak: You state in your response:

Isn't that one of the reasons for the FLE project? To increase park capacity? I find it rather hard to believe that the expansion of that area will NOT add capacity to the park.

That is not the capacity I was talking about... I mean you will not see attendance much higher than it already is... In other words, it will hover around 17 million visitors a year, until the breaking point is reached... The FLE is because TDO has bungled that park so badly, it was needed... But that isn't the same as an increase in attendance, which you'll barely ever see anymore in MK...

Maybe I should have said, it has reached its peak in attendance and will not get much much higher, if higher at all... Yet, the three other parks can still bring attendance up, but TDO does nothing to increase attendance in those other parks...

Is DHS worth $89?? No way.... it all depends on the person who looks at Disney and asked, is WDW worth the rate they are inflating their prices... No, I my opinion, it isn't...

BIGDOG
06-04-2012, 03:41 PM
When I saw the news last week of the 3 crooks who took Disney for thousands over a 3 year period, 'I KNEW A INCREASE WAS COMING' to us honest paying folks.

Aurora
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
If anyone is interested, I had a complete geek-out yesterday and did a spreadsheet of all the permutations of tickets you can buy (totals without tax, and I did not do a cost-per-day breakout). In other words, all the combinations of Magic Your Way, park hopper, water parks and more, no expiration, etc.

For example, I broke out an adult 3=day Park Hopper, an adult 7-day MYW with water parks, a child no-expiration hopper with water parks, etc. If you want me to e-mail it to you, pop me an instant message with your e-mail address.

To figure the total cost with tax, just add 6.5% onto the totals.

TinkerbellT421
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Just out of curiosity didn't universal raise their price as well?

big blue and hairy
06-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Yup. A relative steal at $88 per day. ;)

DizneyFreak2002
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
To further prove my point about TDO removing entertainment from the theme parks while raising ticket prices: Daisy, Meeko, Timon, Thumper and Miss Bunny have all been removed from DAK, along with the street performers in the Africa section...

It is laughable that they remove, remove, remove and feel justified in jacking up prices.. REINVEST!!!!!! It is a word TDO has never heard of I guess...

EDIT: Jason Garcia has mentioned that Jay Rasulo is on record saying after FLE, NO MORE MONEY SPENT ON U.S. theme parks... I did confirm that with him via twitter.. Jason Garcia writes for the Orlando Sentinal and was in a conference with Rasulo when Rasulo uttered those words... So, with no mor emoney being allocated to the domestic theme parks after FLE, hmmm, WDW still worth $100 a day in the next 2-3 years???

Aurora
06-04-2012, 11:10 PM
EDIT: Jason Garcia has mentioned that Jay Rasulo is on record saying after FLE, NO MORE MONEY SPENT ON U.S. theme parks... I did confirm that with him via twitter.. Jason Garcia writes for the Orlando Sentinal and was in a conference with Rasulo when Rasulo uttered those words... So, with no mor emoney being allocated to the domestic theme parks after FLE, hmmm, WDW still worth $100 a day in the next 2-3 years???

I'm not questioning what was said or heard, but does this even sound logical? No more money spent on U.S. theme parks? It's not even specific. Meaning the year FLE is complete? The next 5 years after that? 10 years? Ever? Meaning there will be no Avatarland?

This just makes my, ummmm, baloney meter tick loudly.

big blue and hairy
06-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I'm not questioning what was said or heard, but does this even sound logical? No more money spent on U.S. theme parks? It's not even specific. Meaning the year FLE is complete? The next 5 years after that? 10 years? Ever? Meaning there will be no Avatarland?

I agree. The Sentinel (and many other outlets) likes to write stories in a way that gets your attention, many times in favor of total accuracy.

TinkerbellT421
06-05-2012, 08:55 AM

To me that's like beginning a sentence with "I saw this post on Facebook so it must be true!" Sorry had to share my personal opinion with this one. Orlando Sentinel "reporters", and in all fairness, if not ALL reporters, are not always the most reliable with what they are told versus what they report IMHO. I will believe it when I see it, and when I see it spoken directly from the person who "allegedly" said it. Because until then to make a big deal out of assumption and he said/she saids just makes everyone look foolish.

Yup. A relative steal at $88 per day. ;)

Good lordy what a bargain ;)

Ian
06-05-2012, 07:11 PM

This just makes my, ummmm, baloney meter tick loudly.Yeah that makes no sense considering they've already announced what must be a very pricey addition of Avatar to DAK.

Sounds like hooey to me ....

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:57 AM

I agree. The Sentinel (and many other outlets) likes to write stories in a way that gets your attention, many times in favor of total accuracy.

To me that's like beginning a sentence with "I saw this post on Facebook so it must be true!" Sorry had to share my personal opinion with this one. Orlando Sentinel "reporters", and in all fairness, if not ALL reporters, are not always the most reliable with what they are told versus what they report IMHO. I will believe it when I see it, and when I see it spoken directly from the person who "allegedly" said it. Because until then to make a big deal out of assumption and he said/she saids just makes everyone look foolish.

Good lordy what a bargain ;)

Sorry people, not a bunch of hooey or balony or a FB post or something Jason Garcia made up... it was from Rasulo's mouth himself, during an analyst conference... Before posting that, I wanted to make sure what was said was true... Well, it is true... Something about me that you all may not know, i don't post hogwash just to try to prove a point.. I make sure things are verified before posting...

it sounded unbelievable to me too, but it is what the man said... Now, take it out of context or don't take him for his word... Heck, he may not even be around much longer is a certain person named JL gets his way... Iger may just be taking Rasulo with him BEFORE 2015 comes... But, regardless, it is what he said...

So, don't expect expansions or major e-tickets added or any huge Avatarland... We may be seeing some new night time shows (hopefully Steve Davidson gets Wishes out of there and adds a new awesome fireworks show to coincide with New Fantasyland and also gets that 25 year old afternoon parade off the streets and gives us something, I dunno, ORIGINAL and not a retread of another park's aged parade)...

Ohh and TDO's idea of new??? Returning SpectroMagic sometime in the next year and, wait for it.. MARKETING IT AS A NEW PARADE... Guess they play off the notion that people have no attention spans and absolutely NO memory... Sadly, the social media hounds who worship the Cult of Walt will go goo goo over this and praise WDW for being SOOOOOO innovative!!!!

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2012, 01:59 AM
Yeah that makes no sense considering they've already announced what must be a very pricey addition of Avatar to DAK.

Sounds like hooey to me ....

Ian, buddy... budget has already been discussed as being slashed... And don't expect anything big to come from this... I'm not... Sadly...

AgentC
06-06-2012, 10:38 AM
I really do not follow the investor stuff that much and I will defer to those of you who do. I was curious (and procrastinating), so I read the transcript of the Rasulo conference. The quote was in the context of the amount of capital that has been spent domestically on the cruise ships, DCA and WDW.

Rasulo was asked about "the setup for Disney's return on invested capital over the few years."

I am not going to quote but he did say that they should be coming down substantially in domestic spending and looking for a return on their investments as opposed to continuing a big investment cycle in Parks and Resorts.

The numbers I saw quoted was Disney spent 2.7 billion on Parks & Resorts in 2011 and plans for 3 billion in 2012 plus 1.8 billion for the cruise ships and that 2011 was a 80% increase for 2010.

It seems to me you could substantially decrease from the amount spend in 2011 and 2012 and still have some money to spend, but I could definitely be wrong.

Aurora
06-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Back to ticket prices...

There is one interesting change to ticket prices that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

If you want to add both the Park Hopper option AND the Water Park Fun and More to your base ticket, you no longer have to pay for each add-on separately. Each of these add-ons was increased from $55 to $57, but if you want to add both to your ticket, it's a TOTAL increase of $79 (not $114).

For some people who use this option, even with the base ticket price increase, this might actually be CHEAPER than last year's prices.

Ian
06-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Yep and there's a reason for that ... they're trying to steer people away from doing AP's for multiple trips. That's why they raised the prices on AP's so dramatically and made the MYW tickets more appealing.

DizneyRox
06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
And I don't think anyone mentioned, it's almost as much to add no expiration to a 10 dy pass than it is for the 10 day pass.

It's obvious they don't want people stock piling tickets for future use. Probably easier to forecast ticket sales based solely on accommodation bookings.

Tekneek
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM

Universal is notorious for offering ticket deals, though. We were offered 5 days for the price of 2 and similar before, without needing to book an on-property package. I could also buy a 3 month pass for about $10 more than the one day price. Disney never tries to compete with that.

CuteAsMinnie
06-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Back to ticket prices...

There is one interesting change to ticket prices that I don't think anyone has mentioned.

If you want to add both the Park Hopper option AND the Water Park Fun and More to your base ticket, you no longer have to pay for each add-on separately. Each of these add-ons was increased from $55 to $57, but if you want to add both to your ticket, it's a TOTAL increase of $79 (not $114).

For some people who use this option, even with the base ticket price increase, this might actually be CHEAPER than last year's prices.

Ironically, I did mention this as the 5th post under ticket price increase in the Vacation Planning forum. Everyone seems to be comcentrating on the ridiculous AP price increase.

This actually works great for us as we vaca at
WDW every 3 years. We never did add the water parks because we could not justify the cost. Next trip we will be so the "new price" will save us a total of apps $120. I'll take it.

:mickey:

AgentC
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Universal is notorious for offering ticket deals, though. We were offered 5 days for the price of 2 and similar before, without needing to book an on-property package. I could also buy a 3 month pass for about $10 more than the one day price. Disney never tries to compete with that.

I don't want to take the thread off track, but I'm curious. Was the 3 month pass recent? I've never seen one and it seems like a cool option.

Tekneek
06-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't want to take the thread off track, but I'm curious. Was the 3 month pass recent? I've never seen one and it seems like a cool option.

It was a few years ago. They may not be offered anymore, but they were a great deal.

I'm not a big fan of Six Flags, nor are they anywhere near the same class of the big players, but we can go to our local Six Flags all summer for the cost of a one day ticket. When 2 entries is bonus time, I can put up with a lot of inconveniences.

I'm sure the Disney pricing model is still a great deal compared to some other vastly inflated and hardly worth the time/money events, but those things are also off of my list for the same reasons.

andypooh
06-09-2012, 11:23 AM
so if we are going to get the park hopper AND also spend a day at Blizzard Beach it is $79 and not $114 extra?

Imalismom
06-09-2012, 12:03 PM
so if we are going to get the park hopper AND also spend a day at Blizzard Beach it is $79 and not $114 extra?

correct

andypooh
06-10-2012, 09:05 AM
we bought our tickets already not knowing this and before the price ticket increase through AAA. Is there any way to still get the better price or is that not possible since I have already bought my tix? Thanks for the help.

fanofdisney
06-10-2012, 09:21 AM
I think you can upgrade your ticket at your resort if you are staying on site and if not at the parks. I hope someone else will be by to comment. I am in the same boat. Purchased my tickets before the price increase and am now considering the water parks and more option. I know in the past I added a day to our ticket, as long as you add it before you have used your last day.

Imalismom
06-10-2012, 09:46 AM
<snip> I hope someone else will be by to comment. <snip>

Here is the official word from the Disney web site

Yes. New Magic Your Way tickets can be upgraded before your vacation begins, or, if entitlements remain on your Magic Your Way Ticket, then you may upgrade or modify the ticket anytime in person within 14 days from the date of first use. After this 14-day window, or if no entitlements remain, then tickets may not be modified or upgraded. Upgrades include extending the ticket length (i.e., adding more days) or adding any combination of Options, including:

o The Park Hopper Option
o The Water Park Fun & More Option
o The No Expiration Option

Ticket upgrades must be made in person at any of the following locations at Walt Disney World Resort:

o Ticket windows at theme parks and water parks
o Concierge desks at Resort hotels
o Guest Relations at the Downtown Disney area

DizneyRox
06-10-2012, 10:40 AM
we bought our tickets already not knowing this and before the price ticket increase through AAA. Is there any way to still get the better price or is that not possible since I have already bought my tix? Thanks for the help.
You need to use the ticket for at least one admission, then you can upgrade and "retain" your discounted price.

If you upgrade before you use it, you will be charged the difference between the ticket you are upgrading to and the purchase price of the old ticket.

The above is mostly for the base ticket "discount". I presume if you have a park hopper option, and want to add water parks, you would be charged the difference between the current bundled price and the value of the options on your ticket. I would almost guarantee it follows the same "use it first" guideline. For example, if you don't use the ticket, the park hopping option is valued at what you paid for it. If you use it, the value becomes the current cost of the park hopping option.

andypooh
06-11-2012, 09:36 AM
I can still do this at WDW even though I got the tickets through a AAA discount?

DizneyRox
06-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Yep, as long as you use the ticket first, you will in effect retain your AAA discount. If you upgrade without using the ticket through a turnstyle, you will lose the AAA discount.

basically, the value of the ticket coverts to gate prices once a ticket is used. Before it is used, it's value is what you actually paid for it.

Exceptions to this rule are comp tickets I beleive. They will never have a value towards upgrades, etc.

Dsnygirl
06-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Can somebody remind me what the "old" price for an AP was, prior to June 3rd?? We have one, it runs out October 28th... can't remember what we paid, thinking low $500 range.

Just saw the new $611 price... not even sure how they can justify that, completely ridiculous. We may never be AP holders again... :( :( :(

DizneyRox
06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Can somebody remind me what the "old" price for an AP was, prior to June 3rd?? We have one, it runs out October 28th... can't remember what we paid, thinking low $500 range.

Just saw the new $611 price... not even sure how they can justify that, completely ridiculous. We may never be AP holders again... :( :( :(
According to what I've found, it went from $519 to $574 for a normal AP. $649 to $699 for the Premium variety.

These prices are without tax...

VWL Mom
06-11-2012, 02:55 PM

If you decide to renew, the renewal price is slightly discounted and would be 563.39 tax included.

ChipNDale79
06-11-2012, 04:28 PM
correct

Is this a change as to how it was done before? Are you guys saying its actually cheaper to do the water park and more with park hopper than last year?

Aurora
06-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Is this a change as to how it was done before? Are you guys saying its actually cheaper to do the water park and more with park hopper than last year?

Yes. If you're getting a park hopper and are planning to visit a water park even just once, it would be foolish not to get both on your ticket.