PDA

View Full Version : Bad weather predicted for our upcoming trip next week!!!!!

Alpha Jeanie
05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
OK, I'm getting very worried. We will arrive in Orlando on May 30th and be at Disney until June 7th. I have looked at the 14 day forecast, and there are Thunderstorms predicted for the first 4 or 5 days of our vacation. Who's to say , that when we see the forecast past 14 days, that there wont be even more rain.

We have been extrememly lucky and only had rain 2ce on our last 3 trips to Disney World. Once, while we were sitting eating at O'hana, it POURED down and convienently stopped right when we were done with our meal!!! Great timing!! The second time a trip with just my husband & I, we got to walk in a lite rain at the World Showcase during the Food & Wine fest.....kinda romantic.

WIth this rainy forecast in front of us, I'm not sure what to think. I have ponchos to pack and a few small umbrellas. We are not the kind of family that will be slowed down by the rain, but hate to miss many rides because they are closed due to rain/bad weather. Do they close outside rides if it is just raining, or do they only close them if there is lightening?

We live in Houston, and know that sometimes when the newscaster predict thunderstorms it may be storming in one part of the city, but not a drop or a cloud in another. I hope that is the case with the Orlando weather as well.

Please tell me what you do when it rains on your "Disney Parade".

Thanks for any advice.

spoiledraf
05-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Scattered and isolated thunder storms are the norm in summer. You could get rain in one park and not another or just as likely not see any rain at all. I know it's tough to spend so much money for a week or even four days like we will be there in June and think it will all be spoiled by lousey weather but it is going to do what it's going to do and unless you are willing to cancel out all together there is no amount of worrying that is going to affect the outcome.

Our last trip last August was actually quite wet but ended up being one of the most fun we have ever had. So roll with it, quit looking at the forecast, keep the ponchos in a back pack just in case and have a blast!!!

Itchy
05-20-2012, 10:04 PM
I think they will shut down an outside ride if there is lightning within a certain distants of the park.

I would just play it by ear. As you know the storms in Florida are not long lived for the most part and then the fun continues.

We will be leaving this Saturday even though there is rain we will trudge on.

Have a great trip..:mickey:

1DisneyNut
05-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Those 14 day forecasts are worthless. They barely can predict the weather two days out much less 2 weeks. Wait until you are down to a few days before your vacation to start worrying about the weather forecast.
We always carry some cheap ponchos with us every day in case of thunderstorms and we have needed them quite a few times. The weather has never slowed us down much other than a few rides being closed during the bad weather for a few hours and we had to come back to them later.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Don't worry yet! The 14-day (and beyond) forecast is still just a best guess, so it will probably change at least once (if not more) before your trip.

In all of our Disney trips, we've only had one full day of rain. There have been lots of storms and showers, but total rainouts were rare.

Many times we've seen it pouring in one park, but not another, or crazy rain for 30 minutes or so, then a clear sky.

There is still a fair bit to do at Disney that is indoors, so throw on the ponchos and have a great time. The rain will drive a lot of people out of the park, so crowds will be a bit lighter and lines for the outdoor rides will be shorter when they do re-open.

Alaska Disney Fan
05-20-2012, 10:13 PM
We are always prepared with a few poncho's and keep the party going. In fact sometimes it's better in the parks when it's raining or afterwards, it tends to empty things out a bit. we have had some of our best times during or after the rain. :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
05-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Rains everyday when we typically go. I don't even bother checking the weather, it doesn't change anything. On rainy days, we get up, shower, eat and head to the park...

TinkerbellT421
05-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Try not to worry too much. 14 days is a long ways away in weather world. Like StrmChaser likes to say its voodoo land. I would pay attention to StrmChasers post he has always been very accurate with his weather predictions and he always says weather channels predictions are usually pretty bad.

Ed
05-21-2012, 07:42 AM
As several have mentioned, summer is the "wet season" down here and passing storms are the norm. They typically pop up in the mid to late afternoon and seldom last more than an hour or so. Roll with the punches and don't let it spoil your enjoyment. Let your inner kid out, and go play in the liquid sunshine. :umbrella:

Hakuna Matata !

Strmchsr
05-21-2012, 07:50 AM
The others are quite right. Check the forecast thread at the top of this forum. Ignore the "fill-in-your-zip-code" sites as they are pretty useless.

The afternoon thunderstorms that form this time of the year are due to the sea breeze. They form most every afternoon. They can be intense, but they last less than an hour so they really aren't a big deal. There is no big rain event on the horizon right now.

cajunmickey
05-21-2012, 08:00 AM
We are heading down there on Thurs. Our best day in the MK was in the rain. It seems to scare everyone away or into shops. We bring the cheap ponchos and keep going. Always have an extra pair of shoes at at the resort in case this happens. Have fun and remember you are at the happiest place on earth.:mickey:

CajunDisneyDad
05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
We are going Thurday thru Monday, and the 10 day forcast originally called for 60 percent chance of rain the whole time, now the only day is monday :P As most have stated dont let this ruin your trip! A rainy day at Disney World is better than a sunny day most any other place on the planet!

CajunDisneyDad
05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
We are heading down there on Thurs. Our best day in the MK was in the rain. It seems to scare everyone away or into shops. We bring the cheap ponchos and keep going. Always have an extra pair of shoes at at the resort in case this happens. Have fun and remember you are at the happiest place on earth.:mickey:

How about that, two Cajuns at disney at the same time! How will they ever manage lol :)

AmandaChan
05-21-2012, 09:41 AM
I wouldn't trust those extended forecasts. If they are anything like our 7 day forecasts than they are practically worthless. I have checked early in the day to see what the weather would be like in a couple days and plan a zoo trip, then the next day it will say something completely different. Like others have said, storms are nothing new and welcomed in the summer in Florida, and they only last a short while. Just don't forget your poncho! Get the ones from the dollar store or you'll be shelling out (they are either 8 or 12$, can't remember?) for one at WDW. When we went in May 2009 it was pretty much miserable. Like really, it was bad. It DOWNPOURED everyday except one day that we were there. I was bummed, I even heard on the news there was a part of florida not far from Orlando that was flooded and people actually had to be rescued. But that was in May and weather is a little more unpredictable in the spring.

You'll be fine!

Wolf
05-21-2012, 10:21 AM
We went last October, I remember checking the weather and thinking "well maybe it wont rain the whole time" it didnt rain the first day, it started late that night while we were finishing up the halloween party and rained the next 3 days, without letting up. We went to Animal Kingdom on the worst day of rain and just rocked ponchos and saddled on through. Yeah it was wet, cold, and at moments pretty icky but the lines were short everywhere we went and the worst day in WDW is still better than the best day at home to me. I wore my Vibrams and they worked great, I wouldn't suggest Crocs on days it rains because I tend to fall off mine when they are wet, wear things that won't hold water if possible. Good luck and press on. Yeti is ALOT of fun in the rain and they didn't close any rides for us cause we were never in the parks when it lightened.

Good luck and I hope your trip is still magical!!!

AmandaChan
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I wouldn't suggest Crocs on days it rains because I tend to fall off mine when they are wet, wear things that won't hold water if possible

great point! that and flip flops (not that anyone would probably wear flip flops too much at wdw). crocs are just a blister waiting to happen... unless you have some like i had, I have crocs that have cloth top and straps that criss cross in the front and I always wore those low rise thin socks with them last time. The very first time I never got a blister or irritations on my feet...

vicster
05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
We've been there many times when T-storms and rain were predicted and it never happened. Florida weather is so unpredictable.

faline
05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome to Orlando's summer forecast. Typically, every day, the forecast reads

"Chance of showers" from now through August!

AJ Springfield
05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
We always have rain when we have traveled in June. One year there was a tropical depression and it POURED the entire day (we were at MK). In hindsight, it wasn't that bad. It was WAY cooler and we stayed the entire day (why go back to the resort? We couldn't swim and didn't need to cool off.). Yes, despite the ponchos we were soaked down to our socks.... but so was everyone else.

Go with the flow- it won't last forever. The lines will be shorter and you will still have fun. I will be at WDW towards the end of your trip and I am looking at the weather forecasts, too... even though I know it won't matter in the long run. WIshing you a great trip!!!!

lettripp
05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
I honestly can't remember the last time we wen't to Disney and it didn't rain! I swear by a few tricks (some of which are repeats but hey, adds emphasis I suppose ;))

- I wear flip flops when I think it is going to rain. Wet socks are NO FUN. It got to the point on our honeymoon where my husband actually bought a pair of flipflips in the park. He swore I was crazy but found very quickly that wet feet dry a lot faster when they are less covered. Also, blisters are not a problem so long as they are high quality flip flops that you have broken in. I personally swear by FitFlops. They are more comfortable than any pair of sneakers or walking shoes that I've ever owned and they keep my feet ready to dry as soon as we get inside.

- Bring zip lock bags for your expensive electronics. This is good to do for water rides as well as rainy days. The last thing anyone wants is a broken camera or phone on a vacation.

- Hit places like Epcot and DS on rainy days because most of the attractions are indoors and many don't close in the thunder. If you go to AK or MK, you will be even more soaked and likely miss some of your favorite attractions.

- Ponchos are more effective at stopping the rain than umbrellas so WTG there!

- Pack extra clothes for when you want to go to the hotel and dry off.

- We love to go to the pool when it is raining and not thundering. It is usually empty and warm. Just a thought.

Don't let the rain "rain on your parade." Rainy days at WDW are just a different brand of fun.

Crow
05-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Try not to worry too much. 14 days is a long ways away in weather world. Like StrmChaser likes to say its voodoo land. I would pay attention to StrmChasers post he has always been very accurate with his weather predictions and he always says weather channels predictions are usually pretty bad.

I will be arriving next tues morning and am keeping an eye on that. ive been there many times w rain, that passes quickly. also been there during hurricane season in Sept when it rained a lot.
dont let that mess up your trip. many people leave the parks in rain, so some lines may be shorter. if its really bad they may close some outside things, but they have been there since the 70s so Im sure they have a handle on it. theres always a lot of rides that are indoors, shops, resorts etc

Joannelet
05-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Your best bet is to plan for rain and then miraculously it wont rain! :) our trip last Oct said rain every day. It ended up being the best weather we have ever had on a Disney trip and I have been going for a lifetime. :) we had only one very rainy morning and then it was clear skies the rest of the day. So don't pay too close attention to those things.

diz_girl
05-22-2012, 04:13 PM
You normally can't trust a 14 day forecast. However, if that forecast calls for a chance of thunderstorms in central Florida in June, don't be surprised if that's a pretty accurate forecast.

By the way, the thunderstorms happen around 3 p.m.

disney obsessed
05-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Take a Mickey poncho and a good attitude!