PDA

View Full Version : Flowers and Gardens - Oh My!! (Part 6)

faline
05-19-2012, 07:37 PM
When – May 3 – 13, 2012
Who – Gene & Linda
Where – Beach Club Villas
Plan for the Day:
Magic Kingdom
Dinner at Restaurant Marrakesh for dinner if available
Date: Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Weather:
Boston – Appears to be overcast/rainy with a high of 65 today. Humidity is at 93% so it is actually more humid at home than here.
Orlando – Sunny and hot with a high of 89 degrees today. Humidity is up to 65%
Miles – 5.27

The plan had been to go to Kona Café for dinner and head over to the Magic Kingdom and stay for Wishes. That did not happen.

We decided to take the long way around to Kona. After walking through Epcot, we boarded the monorail and from the Ticket and Transportation Center walked over to the Great Ceremonial Hall at the Polynesian – love that walk and love the grounds! We’re still quite early for our reservations so order drinks at the bar at Tambu Lounge. We got them to go since the area was so crowded, we figured we’d carry them downstairs and sit there since things were much quieter downstairs. Just after we were served though, a family got beeped for their dinner reservation opening up a place to sit. We sat until it was time to check in for our Kona reservation – our beeper went off within 5 minutes of being issued.

For dinner, I chose the 3-course, one price option. Gene did not. I had potstickers for appetizer, mahi mahi for my entre and a chocolate lava cake with ice cream for my dessert. Gene had a New York Strip (good thing I don’t serve beef every night at home) and pineapple upside down cake for dessert.

By time we finished eating, I knew I really was not up to heading back into the Magic Kingdom on this day and decided instead we would head home and make an early night of it. We caught the monorail back to the Magic Kingdom – look at all those people pouring through the gates! Once again, we quickly caught a bus back to our resort.

At home, we sat on the balcony for a bit but were in bed by 9:30 p.m.

Plan for the Day:
Epcot
Gardens of the World Tour
Lunch at Liberty Inn
Dinner at San Angel Inn if reservations are available
Date: Thursday, May 10, 2012
Weather:
Boston – Cloudy and described as “refreshingly cool” with a current temperature of 61 and a high today of 63.
Orlando – Sunny and hot with a listed high of 86 degrees but current temperature is listed as 88.
Miles – The day is not yet complete

We have scheduled a tour for this morning. When I booked the tour, I was told we needed to meet at Guest Relations by 8:45 a.m. so I set a wake up call for 6:30 a.m. and also set the alarm on my phone. The phone alarm went off seconds before the telephone rang so we were up in time to get ready for our tour.

After breakfast of apple turnover and coffee, we set out on foot for Epcot. We walked over to Guest Relations by Spaceship Earth to find that our meeting spot was actually outside the front gates to Epcot. We were quickly able to find our meeting space and, promptly at 9, Homer, our guide led us on our way for a 3 hour tour around the gardens and topiaries of Epcot. The tour was interesting and pointed out things we walk by every time we visit but often do not really see except as part of the background.

The tour ended promptly at noon in the Canadian pavilion. It was, by that time, quite sunny and hot, and we were hungry and needing a place to rest our feet for a bit. We decided to see if we could be accommodated at Rose and Crown. We were seated a few minutes after checking in at the podium. Our table was on the porch area to the left of the building – very pleasant place to sit. Our server is from Kent, England and is a lovely young woman. She has about 7 months left on her time here. We each had fish and chips and it was quite yummy.

Originally, I had planned to stay in the park a bit longer and do some more touring but we had each been handed a large tube containing a Flower and Garden poster for having participated in the tour and we did not wish to lug these items around with us so we decided we would go home and head to the pool instead.

We quickly changed into our suits and headed to the main pool. We found the shop and bought a couple of noodles. What fun! I am not a confident, competent swimmer though I can swim. Once I mastered using the noodle as a flotation device, I was off and running, er floating, er swimming, er doing something in the water which included roving through the deep areas of the pool. We took a break to have a frozen pina colada before heading back to the pool with our noodles for more fun – in the end, we spent most of the afternoon at the pool.

(Guess I should throw out my schedule of plans for this trip as we certainly aren’t following it!)

We returned to our room. While I was freshening up, Gene cut up some cheese so we had a cracker, cheese and pepperoni plate. Hmmm…I’m beginning to think dinner this evening will be late and may be room service. We’ll see.

While I’ve been catching up on my notes, Gene has been napping. I may have to wake him to see if he’d like to spend a little bit of time in Epcot this evening…..

To be continued…..

Sunshine1010
05-19-2012, 10:58 PM
I really like reading these. What are the crowds like? I like how you write about the weather.

wildernesslady
05-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Isn't it great straying from the plans. I do feel fortunate that we don't have to cram everything into our trip on fear of missing out. Your touring plans are just my style.

Zawadi
05-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Another very enjoyable report - thanks!

(Guess I should throw out my schedule of plans for this trip as we certainly aren’t following it!)

:rotfl:

"Plans are nothing; planning is everything" Dwight D. Eisenhower

After all it is meant to be a holiday :mickey:

Joannelet
05-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Another great report! Was the tour you went on only offered during the flower festival? It sounded interesting and I never heard of it before. I love how you just live in the moment! Exactly how it really should be on vacation! :)

faline
05-20-2012, 04:02 PM
I really like reading these. What are the crowds like? I like how you write about the weather.

Thank you. Crowds were on the moderate to heavy side especially in the Magic Kingdom. Much heavier than this time in May used to be.

faline
05-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Another Was the tour you went on only offered during the flower festival? It sounded interesting and I never heard of it before.

Yes. It's only offered during the Flower and Garden Festival. It was quite enjoyable and our guide, Homer, was very knowledgeable.

Tri Minnie
05-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I am going to be sad when you report on your last day, as I really enjoy reading about your trip! Thank you for sharing.

shadowden
05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Sounds like it's been a relaxing day thus far. After all the walking you've done this trip, looks like you needed some too...

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Sounds quite nice, thanks for the report

January-2007
05-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the trip report.

emerzmom
05-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I love making plans for each day at WDW then just going with the flow when I get there.
Another great report.
:mickey:
Julie

Mickey'sGirl
05-26-2012, 09:30 PM
I completely understand why you didn't go back into the park ... I too have hit that wall. Your dinner sounded great though! Your pool afternoon with your noodle-liberation sounded even better! Good for you! :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
I am "enjoying" your vacation as well! Thanks for takng the time to share it with us, I really enjoy the details that you include.

vizsla
06-02-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the report.

DizNee143
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Another great day! :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
06-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Another great day. One of our favorite things to do is walk the Poly grounds. Since we usually stay at the Dolphin now, we always take one day to ride the monorail from Epcot to the TTC and then walk to the Great Ceremonial House. My favorite time of day is just as they are lighting the tiki torches on the ground. Absolutely love the Poly. Also love those relaxing evenings where you catch up on your rest and hang around the resort...we don't do enough of that. Faline I have to tell you that I had to read the end of your report twice....All I saw was Gene was cutting cheese LOL...knowing that such a sweet lady as yourself would never type such a thing as that I re-read and understood what you meant!:blush:

princessgirls
06-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Another great day Linda!!

Love your reports!

Julie:mickey: