PDA

View Full Version : AP vs free dining ----

Sunshine1010
05-19-2012, 01:32 AM
This scenario is 'using' the free dining promo (I know it may or may not happen)

I need your opinion:

What would be cheaper:
1. Having an AP (yes, we are going 2x in one year) and having to pay for 2 day tickets for 3 people to receive the possible free dining promo....

or

2. Using the 'regular' special of getting a room, tickets and receiving the free dining promo.

DizneyRox
05-19-2012, 06:29 AM
I would almost guarantee that two trips in one year would make the AP a better deal. Tickets are expensive, second only to accommodations IMHO. Using a room only discount and a TiW on both trips should yield a windfall in savings.

greengeen
05-19-2012, 11:36 AM
We are veterans of WDW (60+ trips now) and we use the AP room discount plus TIW dining discount. It's a LOT better for us. The dining plan is no deal at all IMO, especially for us, since we don't eat desserts and snacks and most of the family is vegetarian. And people on "free" dining are paying exorbitant rack room rates.

disneynarula
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
I would go with the annual pass.

faline
05-19-2012, 04:29 PM
We have found it to be less expensive to pay for meals, have an annual pass and a Tables in Wonderland card as long as one is able to secure a room only discount.

E-OR
05-19-2012, 08:30 PM
This is something that we are wondering ourselfs. greengreen - What does TIW mean regarding the dining plan? I think that I am going to try to price out both ways to see what our family of three would be better using. Right now my son and I have an annual pass because we made a trip down last month and plan on a family trip in September. Want to make the best decision.

wildernesslady
05-19-2012, 11:15 PM
You could get the package with the free dining and upgrade those tickets to APs for your next trip.

DizneyRox
05-20-2012, 08:15 AM
Probably still better to forego the DDP from the get go and use room only discounts that might be available and pay OOP for food.

faline
05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=E-OR;2267548]- What does TIW mean regarding the dining plan? [QUOTE]

Tables in Wonderland is a discount cart - available for purchase for those who hold an annual pass. This card can be used at table service restaurants (except some that are non-Disney owned); most lounges; and some counter service locations. It provides a 20% discount on your food and beverages (including alcoholic beverages). Those who are on the dining plan can still use the TIW card for those items not covered by the dining plan (such as appetizers and alcoholic drinks) but many cast members seem to have trouble doing this - some know how to do it and do it very well - but others can't seem to get it.

BugeyedMuggy
05-20-2012, 04:09 PM
We have AP and TIW and find it a much better deal for us. We also found renting DVC points a much better deal than the best disney discount.

CuteAsMinnie
05-21-2012, 01:32 PM
AP would net you a better deal than the dining plan. Room discount and paying OP for your meals will save you $$$ over the dining plan.

Enjoy!:mickey: