PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Rooms with Lysol

twosiamesecats
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
My husband thinks I'm crazy when I bring my Lysol when we're traveling. When I first get into my motel room, I spray the toilet, sink, door knobs, t.v. controller, phone, and lamp switch with lysol. Does anyone else do this too?

mydisneygirls
05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I never do it. If you think about it, you spray the room but when you leave, you are touching elevator buttons, holding handrails on the bus/monorail, holding safety bars on rides, etc!!!

BUT.........if it makes you feel better, then what the hay!

BrerGnat
05-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I bring clorox wipes (the travel pack) and use them on the remote control in the room, and in the event that someone gets sick, they are handy to disinfect surfaces in the bathroom. Someone ALWAYS gets sick on our vacations. :(

DizneyRox
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
My husband thinks I'm crazy when I bring my Lysol when we're traveling. When I first get into my motel room, I spray the toilet, sink, door knobs, t.v. controller, phone, and lamp switch with lysol. Does anyone else do this too?
No, I wear latex gloves and a surgical mask while on vacation... :D

JoDisney
05-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes, I bring Lysol Spray. I do not think it is strange or odd. In addition, I always spray it into the the air conditioner/heater outflow vent, as my sons have allergies. It helps tremendously. It is extremely apparent when I do not spray immediately. I would not be without the Lysol Spray.

j2k
05-18-2012, 02:37 PM
You are not alone. I travel for business regularly and always bring Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, and a bottle with pump of GermX. Call me crazy, but I've been sickened before :ack:

Tigerinvestigator
05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but I would rather die a horrible death from the germs I catch in my WDW resort hotel room than have it smell like lysol.......the smells of disney are what I love most. Then again I was raised in Tennessee, ate bugs, played in the dirt, work in law enforcement, my wife is a nurse, my daughters are in school, so I have a pretty good immune system.......actually now that I think about it, I'm the one that is causing you to spray your rooms! lol:thumbsup:

Disney Hungarian
05-18-2012, 04:01 PM
In addition to the regular Lysol, I bring Lysol for fabrics. That elevator button or hand rail has probably never had the body parts touch it that the bedspread in the rooms has. Makes me cringe thinking about it.

Mickey'sGirl
05-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Actually I am allergic to Lysol, and to aerosols in general, so no we do not spray. I probably should as my immune system is suppressed, but I don't. Maybe it's time to bring a thingy of Clorox wipes with me to wipe down the phone and tv convertor? My youngest son is sensory seeking and puts EVERYTHING into his mouth ... I can't imagine the germs he has already "picked up" in his 8 years. :ack:

Basket Mommy
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
We keep Lysol spray and Lysol wipes in our Owner's Locker. The kids get to do the honors as soon as we get to the room. I just like knowing that things are super sanitized. Yes, we touch things throughout the day, but we use hand sanitizer and wash hands as much as we can. I'm not a germophobe at all, but I've seen too many TV specials about how dirty hotel rooms are. Even at Disney I don't trust that they clean things thoroughly enough for me. One stomach bug at Disney was all it took for me to make sure things are clean!

AllDisney
05-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I wipe everything down in the room when we first check in. We have wipes to use at the parks to wipe our hands after touching the safety bars on the rides, door knobs, railings etc. It saves having to wash our hands all the time in the bathrooms.:thumbsup:

MargaretMessler
05-18-2012, 06:04 PM
I always travel with santitizer wipes and pocket tubes of hand sanitizer, but I don't necessarily go over everything when we get there. I just like to make sure we have it because you never know what you might come across.

brownie
05-18-2012, 07:15 PM
I just wash my hands.

BIGDOG
05-18-2012, 11:23 PM
I remember back in the 90's 2 days before we were leaving on one of out Disney trips, my oldest son then 10yrs. came down with the Chicken pocs. We took him to his Dr. explained our situation, his advise; go have fun and give somthing back to world.
Lysol will help with many things but not everything.

Kairi_7378
05-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I have never sprayed a room or wiped it when checking in for a vacation. Maybe I am the wierd one. :blush:

However, a spray bottle or a pack of wipes doesn't take up that much room in a suitcase and doesn't need to be brought home, so to me it is a small price to pay if it will make you feel better.

tdk316
05-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Depends on where we are staying. During our most recent trip to WL I put the bedspreads in the closet (ick!) but at BLT where the comforters get washed (right...?!) I'll use them. I always wipe down the remote, phone and key for the safe and whatever else happens to be handy at the moment. Otherwise, even at home, it's typically safer to eat off your toilet set than your kitchen counter so I don't worry about it too much. Now when we were in Thailand it was another story... squat toilets anyone? :D

Katzateer
05-19-2012, 07:46 AM
I always take the bedspreads off and we don't sit on them. Other than that, I have never done any extra cleaning. I do like the idea of the Lysol for the tv control and phone. I clean the phone at work all the time but never bring anything to use to clean at WDW (I work in a pharmacy and we are always disinfecting ).

But how do you get the Lysol through security at the airports?

ANG
05-19-2012, 08:28 AM
I bring lysol wipes and just rub down the remotes, phones, door knobs, etc. Just the once. And use hand sanitizer in the parks.

As a PP stated, my son is also sensory seeking and chews on everything.

People spend thousands of dollars for these trips. They aren't going to cancel if they get sick (most times).

ANG
05-19-2012, 08:29 AM
But how do you get the Lysol through security at the airports?

Shouldn't be a problem if it's in your suitcase. It's no different than hairspray. They also make travel Lysol sprays

AmandaChan
05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I would hope to god that they disinfect the toilet and sink but I could see spraying the controller, for example b/c I'm sure it gets overlooked and it's hard telling how germy stuff like that is.

PETE FROM NYC
05-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I am allergic to lysol, all lysol products. I would hate to walk into a room, and immediately have to call the ER.
Lawsuit anyone???

TikiLounger
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I never, ever worry about germs and I don't check the hotels I stay in for anything when I travel (I'm referring to bed bugs...I see a lot of people are worried about them). I think we're all exposed to so much in our lives and this is how our immune systems get strong. I just want to have a great time while on vacation and worry about what germs I'm touching doesn't even enter my mind. I don't want my kids to be afraid, either. They'll have lots of other things to fret about...soon enough...and I want their fun time to be...fun.

brownie
05-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Shouldn't be a problem if it's in your suitcase. It's no different than hairspray. They also make travel Lysol sprays

Should be okay in checked luggage, though I'd still verify through the TSA website. Carry-on liquid needs to be under 3 ounces, and I'd still check the TSA list.

disneydeb
05-19-2012, 11:27 AM
You are not alone. I travel for business regularly and always bring Lysol spray, Clorox wipes, and a bottle with pump of GermX. Call me crazy, but I've been sickened before :ack:

This sounds like I could have posted this! :thumbsup:

Polynesian Dweller
05-19-2012, 12:01 PM
I am allergic to lysol, all lysol products. I would hate to walk into a room, and immediately have to call the ER.
Lawsuit anyone???

Exactly and many people are. That's why it's a bad idea to do it yourself. As a hotelier I would advise don't do it. If your room isn't to your standards call housekeeping and have them do it. Call the manager on duty if needed.

Hotels go to great lengths to use products which aren't allergy inducing. Use the hotel and don't assume that because you aren't allergic to something that others aren't as well. And the ingredients in cleaners can last in a room. There's the potential of hurting people several stays later.

Bad idea folks.

j2k
05-19-2012, 12:09 PM
This sounds like I could have posted this! :thumbsup:

Hehehe... Two of a kind, I see. ;)

Polynesian Dweller
05-19-2012, 01:49 PM

But you shouldn't be prepared to sicken those who are allergic.

j2k
05-19-2012, 02:33 PM
But you shouldn't be prepared to sicken those who are allergic.

I'm allergic to dust. I can't get away from it. Hotels are the worst for it, especially older ones. I deal with it the best I can. My daughter and I also have eczema that reacts to certain detergents. Sometimes the towels and sheets at hotels make our skin flare up.

Everyone has something they're dealing with. I understand this. I try to make it most comfortable for my family and I. I don't think that's being selfish. I think it's my way of trying to protect our health.

disneynarula
05-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I just take my chances and hope for the best. We handwash before we eat but that's about it.
Our remote at home is probably just as germy as the one in our hotel room.

DS is allergic to peanuts so I always ask the CS attendents to re wipe the tables before we eat.

Like some other people said. I don't like to introduce my cleaning products in other people's systems.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-19-2012, 04:13 PM
We (well, OK I) do wipe down a few things, like remote controls that housekeeping is going to have left.

We have some crazy allergies, and I can't trust that there aren't residues left that would really make us sick.

I also try and get rid of the comforter, Disney housekeeping seems especially set on giving us one and putting it out on the bed.

Polynesian Dweller
05-19-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm allergic to dust. I can't get away from it. Hotels are the worst for it, especially older ones. I deal with it the best I can. My daughter and I also have eczema that reacts to certain detergents. Sometimes the towels and sheets at hotels make our skin flare up.

Everyone has something they're dealing with. I understand this. I try to make it most comfortable for my family and I. I don't think that's being selfish. I think it's my way of trying to protect our health.

See my previous post about getting the hotel staff to clean it to your satisfaction and if you allergies etc then let them know. It's one thing for you to want to make it comfortable for your family but others will use that room after you leave and it needs to be comfortable for them too. Let the hotel do it and absolutely let the hotel staff and manager know your needs as well.

MNNHFLTX
05-20-2012, 12:49 PM
See my previous post about getting the hotel staff to clean it to your satisfaction and if you allergies etc then let them know. It's one thing for you to want to make it comfortable for your family but others will use that room after you leave and it needs to be comfortable for them too. Let the hotel do it and absolutely let the hotel staff and manager know your needs as well.
Good advice. Based on my experience with cleaning products (from working in a hospital) is that there are certain industry standards and almost all of them involve chemicals that have the potential for being allergenic. Fortunately, for most of them this is eliminated once the disinfectant dries. However, I can't imagine it's healthy for anyone to spray Lysol or other disinfectant into an air-conditioning unit that will be circulated (and inhaled) for quite some time afterward.

The only thing I have ever done is to wipe down the door handles and the remote control, as I read that over 75% of remote controls in hotel rooms have E. coli on them (ew!!)

texas211
05-20-2012, 02:44 PM
I travel extensively for a living. I found the best protection against germs on the road... not thinking about it... The rental car, mass transit, the airplane, hotel, hotel room, etc...

Oh, extra gem.. You know those reusable items like the coffee maker, glasses, mugs, etc... Cleaned with windex... Not the dishwasher... at many hotels.

Polynesian Dweller
05-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Good advice. Based on my experience with cleaning products (from working in a hospital) is that there are certain industry standards and almost all of them involve chemicals that have the potential for being allergenic. Fortunately, for most of them this is eliminated once the disinfectant dries. However, I can't imagine it's healthy for anyone to spray Lysol or other disinfectant into an air-conditioning unit that will be circulated (and inhaled) for quite some time afterward.

The only thing I have ever done is to wipe down the door handles and the remote control, as I read that over 75% of remote controls in hotel rooms have E. coli on them (ew!!)
I understand because I also worked in a hospital for many years and public commercial products concern me the most from my hotelier's perspective. Some do leave residue.

Here's a bit of a side issue. When you are in the hotel industry you often deal with people who get ill while staying there. And a number worry about it being from allergies. This can mean being able to tell them what products are used in the hotel. We have the MSDS sheets for all of those and this can help resolve the person's medical distress.

Now we can only know the stuff we use. So if a person in medical distress asks if we use product x and we don't then that seems to rule that out. But imagine if the person previously in that room has taken it on themselves to spray or wipe product x all over the room. We won't know and the cause of the current guest's medical distress can be misunderstood and misdiagnosed. With allergies that can be a major problem for some.

So, as a hotelier, we ask don't clean a room yourself. You never know when it may cause a problem.

MNNHFLTX
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
So, as a hotelier, we ask don't clean a room yourself. You never know when it may cause a problem.Point well taken. From the studies I have read, though, it sounds like most hotels need to be more diligent in how they clean rooms--especially paying attention to things like TV remotes, doorknobs, phones, clock radios, etc. I think those little details often fall through the cracks and that's what causes consumers to worry and take it upon themselves (even though they shouldn't). I would also like the hotel industry adopt a standard practice of putting freshly laundered blankets and bedspreads on the beds between occupants, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Polynesian Dweller
05-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Point well taken. From the studies I have read, though, it sounds like most hotels need to be more diligent in how they clean rooms--especially paying attention to things like TV remotes, doorknobs, phones, clock radios, etc. I think those little details often fall through the cracks and that's what causes consumers to worry and take it upon themselves (even though they shouldn't). I would also like the hotel industry adopt a standard practice of putting freshly laundered blankets and bedspreads on the beds between occupants, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I agree actually. Many don't do those things and should. We do all those and the blankets and spreadsheets is slowly becoming standard practice. Without legislation it takes a while to work through.

If people want those things cleaned or changed then mention it to front desk at checkin.

j2k
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I agree actually. Many don't do those things and should. We do all those and the blankets and spreadsheets is slowly becoming standard practice. Without legislation it takes a while to work through.

If people want those things cleaned or changed then mention it to front desk at checkin.

I understand your point. I can't say anything about the cleanliness of Disney hotels as I haven't been there in quite some time (will be there in less than 80 days :mickey:).

However, I travel regularly for work (approximately 10-20 weeks/year) and mentioning these things to the front desk doesn't always work. There are times where I have left and gone to another hotel because of it. However, I don't always have this choice. If I'm at a convention/meeting I have to stay at the convention/meeting hotel. If my work brings me to a small town sometimes there's only one hotel and the nearest one is over 50 miles away.

If all hoteliers were mindful to the cleanliness standards most people wanted then consumers would not be so skeptical of the hotel industry.

Maybe you've just given me an idea for a great business opportunity!!:number1:

retiredfigment
05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I do. I always spray the room and won't go barefoot. Always wear socks.

LynneM
05-20-2012, 07:57 PM

But there's a big difference between a natural substance like dust, and choosing to bring chemicals to spray in a room that you do not own, with no thought given to others whose vacation may be disrupted.

You're already paying someone to clean the room. If it hasn't been cleaned to your satisfaction, why not just call housekeeping and have them correct the problem?

Good heavens, if I felt the housekeeping at a hotel was so bad that I had to clean the room myself after they were done, I sure wouldn't be staying at that hotel.

j2k
05-20-2012, 08:04 PM
But there's a big difference between a natural substance like dust, and choosing to bring chemicals to spray in a room that you do not own, with no thought given to others whose vacation may be disrupted.

You're already paying someone to clean the room. If it hasn't been cleaned to your satisfaction, why not just call housekeeping and have them correct the problem?

Good heavens, if I felt the housekeeping at a hotel was so bad that I had to clean the room myself after they were done, I sure wouldn't be staying at that hotel.

Oh well, such is life. Let's just agree to disagree on this one. :thumbsup:

disneydeb
05-21-2012, 03:59 PM
My daughter breaks out after showers at WDW. SomeTHING, we haven't degtermined what, she is evidently allergic to causes her to break out in itchy whelps... we haven't hought of suing because of this though! And we won't.

minnie04
05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I bring my clorox "anywhere" spray. great stuff :mickey: When the kids were little I would use my own bath mat to have them stand or sit on. Thats about it for us. I just spray and go now... My cousin wouldnt let her kids in the room until she did a major cleaning of any room they were staying in. Now they just have an RV. It got to the point that she was cleaning way to much :paranoid: . ...lol

SBETigg
05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
I don't worry about it. You can actually make yourself more susceptible by reducing your natural immunities with over-sanitizing.

texas211
05-22-2012, 11:42 AM

B/C someone making $7/hr doesn't care how clean our room really is. Just so that it looks clean enough to pass..

disneynarula
05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I just hope I don't get a room where someone has sprayed Lysol in the air conditioning unit.

Basket Mommy
05-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Take them out and put them in a Ziploc. I've had Lysol wipes thrown out by TSA before, even though the package clearly said, "NO BLEACH".

disneykid99
05-23-2012, 04:53 PM
This is a good question. I am glad I am not the only one who does this - although I usually go with sanitizing wipes;)

Mousemates
05-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I used to get sick with some type of "bug" ear/throat/stomach just about everytime we went to Disney...but I havent the last few trips with the new "family illness prevention measures being."

1. Throwing the bedcover in the corner of the bathroom and leaving it there (as well as note stating we don't it back on the bed).

2. Using hand sanitizers throughout the day at the parks and taking the time wash my hands everytime someone in the party uses the bathroom (whether I have "to go" or not).

3. lathering the remote up in handsanitizer upon checking into the room.

Not sure which one was the big difference maker, but we will continue to do all three since it has worked well for us.

minnie04
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
1. Throwing the bedcover in the corner of the bathroom and leaving it there (as well as note stating we don't it back on the bed).

If you think about it !!

The bed covers are probably the cleanest part of the room..lol Who do you know that acutally uses the bed covers (bedspread)??? NO ONE !! they are always the first thing thrown in the corner and told NOT TO TOUCH. I dont know anyone who ever used a bed cover ever!!

P.S. I NEVER USE THEM :mickey:

waymickey
05-24-2012, 11:43 AM
I do it too. Everything gets a spray of Lysol when we arrive and after they clean. I watched a Mousekeeper wipe down the back of the toliet and then the counter. Nearly :ack:
so now lysol travels with me!

DonLefNY
05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Lysol makes me think of the hospital morgue I've been in. Can not stand it.

minnie04
05-24-2012, 01:47 PM
Lysol makes me think of the hospital morgue I've been in. Can not stand it.

Very true !! :ack: its way to srtong and makes things wet with the mist I dont like it. The clorox anywhere you can wipe off or let it dry right on the item. If I have wipes ( which I do carry) I will wipe the phone, remote, counters,sink area and door knobs. I let the Clorox anywhere do the rest as far as the bathrooms. I do bring an air freshener to make the room smell nice. (or bathroom :ack: hey it's a small room, it can't always smell nice...lol.)

Like I said in an earlier post my cousin would strip down the room. Sheets and all. I dont get that crazy. I want to start my vacation as soon as we get there. I do however have pillow cases for all the room pillows weither anyone uses them or not,We use our Disney throw blankets I buy every year (or when they are $5.00 i buy them like crazy) Everyone has their own character.. but sheets thats extreme. Now that the kids are older they know what to look for and know if something in the room isnt right and we just call the front desk...

buzznwoodysmom
05-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I take a pack of clorox wipes to use to clean up after the kids when they eat in the room, and I'll often wipe down the remote/phone with one when we arrive. I also use a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the parks, but nothing overboard. I mainly use the sanitizer before meals or after bathroom breaks.

I also bring a bottle of room spray for the bathroom and a plug in to keep the room smelling good.

crltkcagle
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
I do it too! I also check for bed bugs! Some of us are germaphobes! LOL Nothing wrong with wanting to be safe.

jwallace378
05-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Yes...I bring spray, wipes, and purell hand gel. My wife calls me neurotic. lol

johnO
05-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't consider myself a germaphobe, but after 15 years in Law Enforcement, I've learned to practice a few things to prevent illness. What baffles me about this thread, is the fact that people are more upset about those who wipe down surfaces etc., rather than those who spread their infectious bodily fluids with no regard for the room's next inhabitant, and the often substandard housekeeping staff. Bring a flashlight with you sometime and give your room a good once over, you'll be disturbed at what you find.

Anyway, I don't wander around WDW in fear of contracting an infectious disease or germs, But I wash my hands before eating and see nothing wrong with wiping down common surfaces in the room.

j2k
05-27-2012, 06:51 PM
What baffles me about this thread, is the fact that people are more upset about those who wipe down surfaces etc., rather than those who spread their infectious bodily fluids with no regard for the room's next inhabitant, and the often substandard housekeeping staff. Bring a flashlight with you sometime and give your room a good once over, you'll be disturbed at what you find.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

i'm grumpy
05-28-2012, 10:52 AM
We clean the remote, door handles, etc with wipes, and carry hand sanitizer. Because you don't want to know how many people use the bathroom and don't wash their hands. :sick:

TexasRoni
05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I never used to disinfect the hotel rooms - until the time the whole family came down with a norovirus type of sickness while at WDW to celebrate our daughter's 10th birthday. An 8 day trip where we were all in varying states of fever, chills, and throwing up!

Since using Lysol to disinfect the rooms, and antibacterial hand gel at the parks, we've had NO illnesses while on our vacations. It might be just luck, but I'm not taking any chances!!

Joanie - planning trip 7 for December 2012

southerngirl
05-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I so agree with everyone who does a little extra cleaning. I don't go overboard, but I do take wipes and wipe down the phones, remote controls and, when DS slept in a pack-n-play, the rails and sides of that. Someone said this previously, but it's true: people don't want to cancel Disney vacations just because they are sick. Think about how many trip reports you have read where someone starts out "as I woke up departure morning, I realized that I/ds/dd/etc. was coming down with __________." How many times have you then read "so, I immediately called Disney and told them that we wouldn't be coming?" It doesn't happen, because people either don't want to lose the money or don't want to disappoint themselves or their families. (As an aside, I had to cancel a trip three days before departure back in July 2010 when I had to have emergency surgery. Magical Journeys got me a full refund, even without trip insurance! :thumbsup:)

I also never use the glasses that they provide in the deluxes, after having seen an expose about housekeepers cleaning those cups with windex or just water from the sink and dirty rags (even in the nicest, five star hotels in big cities, this was happening). Ewww!!!!

I wouldn't change my own sheets, scrub down the entire bathroom again or put lysol in an AC unit, but I figure that my little extra cleaning can't hurt, and it doesn't do anything but make the room cleaner for the next person.

disneydeb
05-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't consider myself a germaphobe, but after 15 years in Law Enforcement, I've learned to practice a few things to prevent illness. What baffles me about this thread, is the fact that people are more upset about those who wipe down surfaces etc., rather than those who spread their infectious bodily fluids with no regard for the room's next inhabitant, and the often substandard housekeeping staff. Bring a flashlight with you sometime and give your room a good once over, you'll be disturbed at what you find.

Anyway, I don't wander around WDW in fear of contracting an infectious disease or germs, But I wash my hands before eating and see nothing wrong with wiping down common surfaces in the room.

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself!:D

mom2morgan
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
*gag* after reading this thread and thinking about all the things I've never worried about before, maybe I'll just sleep outside on the lawn (I'll bring my OWN blankets of course). An alligator may get me, but at least he'll probably be clean...

MargaretMessler
06-04-2012, 06:41 PM
My daughter breaks out after showers at WDW. SomeTHING, we haven't degtermined what, she is evidently allergic to causes her to break out in itchy whelps... we haven't hought of suing because of this though! And we won't.

I have had the same (kind of) problem on more than one occasion while @ WDW. I just attribute it to over sensitive skin and the difference in the water between home (Mass.)and Florida. I go through more moisturizer in a week than I do in a month at home.

ImagiAsh
06-04-2012, 07:03 PM
I just wash my hands.

:ditto: