PDA

View Full Version : Are Military Discounts better than others

Crow
05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
looks like the best discount is military, better than AP, AAA, GP,Visa..
my friend is retired military so it might b better for him to use that discount now that my girlfriend cant go w me.
any thoughts

ANG
05-17-2012, 01:52 PM
If going before Oct 1st, he can get like $138 for 4 days or park tickets.

Currently our MWR is offering 40% rooms

BrerGnat
05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
The military room only discount (40%) is the best one there is. Discount applies to all tiers of resorts, and is 40% straight across. Availability is limited, though, and this offer is set to expire 9/30/2012.

Tickets can be purchased on a military base ticket office or at WDW ticket booths. $138 will get you one Four Day Park Hopper pass. You can add on the water parks fun and more for an additional fee, like $35 per ticket or thereabouts.

Your friend would have to be career retired or on 100% service related disability. This discount does not apply to all Veterans or those who have served for less than a career length of time.

Imalismom
05-17-2012, 05:51 PM
The military 40% off discount also applies to club level if you did not know that :mickey:

Crow
05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
He is retired after 20 yrs. and he did get a DL ticket previously for a good price
If he can get off work, he may go w me on May 29 since my gf cant go now. If he cant go, I will probably just cancel.
I didnt know it was 40% on all resorts, i thought it was less on mods and values.
I just bought an AP, but if he does go Ill let him use his discount on room and maybe let him get me a ticket and save my AP
Since I already have WL CL booked w AP i would ask them to change it to military, but I guess I would have to under his name.....

BrerGnat
05-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Since I already have WL CL booked w AP i would ask them to change it to military, but I guess I would have to under his name.....

The availability of the discount, especially this close to your trip dates, will probably be very limited. We wanted to stay CL at WL back in December, and in August when we made the ressie, WL CL was not available. The only options were Beach Club CL or Grand Floridian CL.

The reservation would need to be made as a new one, under his name, using the specific code for the Armed Forces Salute discount.

buzznwoodysmom
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
The military room only discount (40%) is the best one there is. Discount applies to all tiers of resorts, and is 40% straight across.

Natalie,

I believe this has changed. When we first started using the military discounts, back in 2009, I think, it was 40% straight across. However, pricing is now tiered. I believe it's 30% off at values, 35% at moderates, and 40% off at deluxe. Still a great deal! We usually try to stay deluxe, but this July we are staying 3 nights at a moderate and the discount was only 35%. I know you mostly stay deluxe, which is probably why you never noticed when they changed this portion of the discount.

I also wanted to add that another plus when using the military discount is that you can add the dining plan without a package. When booking the room with the military discount, they assume you will also be purchasing the military discounted tickets which can't be purchased as part of a package. Disney has been kind enough to allow those guests to still book a dining plan. It's really great if you want to do a split stay. Where you would normally have to add tickets to both resort stays in order to have the dining plan throughout your entire trip, with the military discount you can add dining without having to purchase multiple sets of tickets. We don't really use the dining plan anymore, but it's a great option for those who do use it.

Crow
05-18-2012, 11:55 AM
nice that they will let you add the Dining Plan
Ill find out today if he is able to go. still wish my gf was able to go.
i would probably use a tables in wonderland card for meals, unless i choose not to activate my AP yet and use his discount for resorts and tickets..

BrerGnat
05-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Natalie,

I believe this has changed. When we first started using the military discounts, back in 2009, I think, it was 40% straight across. However, pricing is now tiered. I believe it's 30% off at values, 35% at moderates, and 40% off at deluxe. Still a great deal!

Good to know. Thanks!

Crow
05-18-2012, 01:31 PM
well my friend did get days off from work so now have to figure what to book.
and my gf doesnt want me to go..

Crow
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
ok just called Dis. for now i booked WL CL for 6 nights May 29 for $2386.15 w military. they said he just has to show his military ID when checking in. i might not stay there the whole time but its holding it for now

Crow
05-20-2012, 12:40 AM
looks like it will b WL CL for 4 nights $1360 & 3 nights POFQ $483. seems like a good savings w military rate