PDA

View Full Version : sea sickness question

goofyfan4466
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
is there a better area on the ship where you will not feel sick ? i believe our room is on the back of the ship on the 10th deck. we have an outside verandah.

thanks in advance

mook3y
05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
is there a better area on the ship where you will not feel sick ? i believe our room is on the back of the ship on the 10th deck. we have an outside verandah.

thanks in advance

The closer to the center of the ship and the lower the deck level, the less movement you will feel.

goofyfan4466
05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
The closer to the center of the ship and the lower the deck level, the less movement you will feel.

so what you are saying is i am pretty much in the worst spot ? or is it any better on the dream , since it is a bigger ship ?

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-16-2012, 06:51 PM
The cruise ships today are VERY smooth, and you don't feel nearly as much motion as you'd expect.

For me, having a verandah was great, anytime I felt the least bit queasy I would just look out, or go outside and I felt better.

Actually, the only place I had a problem the whole cruise was the 1st night in Animator's Palatte ... just too many lines!

So, although you're not in the ideal place on the ship, I expect you'll manage better than you think.

mook3y
05-16-2012, 07:20 PM
If you do happen to feel queasy, just go to the infirmary they will have something that will help you. Or just bring some non drowsy dramamine with you.

As stated, these bigger ships are pretty smooth.

We were concerned on our first cruise which was our honeymoon. We had a room looking out the back of the ship.

We had no problems and never had to take anything.

MarkC
05-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Also, we noticed if you stay out in the fresh air it seemed to help. Not sure it will for everyone but it did for us.

tinkman
05-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Everyone is different. I have tried the patch and can't honestly say it works. All three cruises I was quezzy on the first night, then fine the rest of the cruise. Was it the patch working or just getting my sea-legs. Never been quezzy once I laid down...actually liked the motion of the ship before falling asleep.

GoldenDreams
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I have been on other cruise ships in the fall during hurricane season with rough seas and gotten quite sick, but on the Dream in April, I had no trouble at all with queasiness. I'm told the ship has good stabilizers.

I COULD feel it move when we were underway and I seemed to be more senstive than other people ... I had to side-step a couple of times, or touch base with walls and shelves while shopping, but I never felt sick.

My advice for dealing with seasickness if you do get sick is to move to large, open spaces, and have something in your stomach. When I am feeling seasick, being in the cabin and taking a shower before breakfast is the worst. But if I eat first and remain mostly higher up in the ship in large open areas, I do better. I've heard the advice to be low and in the center, but that's never been true for me.

Good luck!

scooterca42
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Don't discount ginger pills and ginger ale. These are time-honoured methods of settling a tipsy stomach.

waymickey
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
The center of the ship is the best.
I get very seasick and our first cruise was high up and in the back of the ship. I did fine. I got a little woozy the first night when I jumped up from bed and yelled "the room is moving!"

If you feel a bit sick, go out onto the balcony or take a stroll outside on the deck. This should help and if for some reason it doesn't call the doc's.

disneyfan1117
08-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I am very prone to motion sickness - never been on Space Mountain - I spent 7 days on the Fantasy and never even got close to feeling sick . We had one bad day where you might notice the rocking but nothing severe- it was actually kind of funny. I noticed alot of people with the patch behind their ear however. Bring some in case but don't sweat it and enjoy your cruise.

Christine
08-18-2012, 04:40 PM
I had a midship cabin on the dream deck 8 in 2011 and I was queasy once. Sprite and pretzels fixed me right up!

This march we had the furthest aft cabin you could get besides the accessible rooms- I mean the rear rear rear of the boat, right under topside r's and I was fine. I noticed no more ticking there than when I was midship. I LOVED aft because you rarely had to wait for an elevator and I was quieter.

Lindsey310
08-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Which ship are you on? We were on the Disney dream ship March 2012 and our room number was 9068. It was mid ship, deluxe ocean view stateroom with verandah. Even with the ideal room location, I still had what they call "sea legs".
We hit a storm going out so I'm not sure if this had something to do with it. That first night, I felt the ship moving back and forth and my equilibrium was off. I wasn't nauseous but I couldn't quite get the motion. :ill:
When we docked in our first location in Nassau, we were sitting at Atlantis and I still felt like I was on the boat. I am not one to take pills so I refused to take any Dramamine. My parents and husband wore the "sea bands" purchased on the ship and said they worked well.
When we got off the ship, we headed to Disney for 2 more nights. While there, I did still have "sea legs", I was unpacking our suitcase at the wilderness lodge and I almost toppled over lol. It took a full 5 days to feel better AFTER I got off the ship. Heard it's better the second time around. (this was our first cruise).
Glad you got a verandah, you will love DCL. Have a magical time. :mickey: