PDA

View Full Version : Coronado Springs or Port Orleans Riverside

NJGIRL
05-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Still trying to decide.:confused: Swan and Dolphin are still in the running but by the time I pay for parking and the daily fee I am getting on the more exensive side again.

Today I took a good look at the moderates and PO Riverside and Coronado Springs both look interesting.

It's just me and my husband this time around. We will have a car and probably won't be using the pool. We have so much planned between the ICOT 15 meets and other special events.

So please tell me about your stays at these resorts from your room location and experience to the restaurants on site (especially breakfast and quick meals).

We will not be taking the buses so that is not a factor.

Also looking at the Riverside you can either stay at Magnolia Mansion or Alligator Bayou. Leaning towards Magnolia Mansion...what do you think?

Coronado has the Casitas, Rachos or Cabanas. Leaning toward the Cabanas.....what do you think?

I have never even visted either of these resorts so tell me about the locations of the different buildings.

Thanks!!

Angelgirl65
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Cabanas are very nice. They seem to be close to everything. Coronado has more stuff for adults to take advantage of like the dance club and fitness center.

KarenP
05-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Having stayed at both resorts, I personally think Coronado has more of a deluxe feel. The Pepper Market is also my favorite food court on property. They have different stations to choose from such as Mexican, pizza, sandwiches, bakery/desserts, etc.

mustBgoofy
05-14-2012, 07:37 PM
DH and I really enjoyed our stay at Coronado. It felt more Deluxe to me than the Beach Club did. I really like being able to have down time and take a stroll around the resort and it seems more geared towards adults. It was very quiet our entire 8 day stay!

j2k
05-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I haven't stayed at either of these resorts, BUT I recently researched the moderates and chose Coronado Springs because of all the positive reviews I've seen and read here on these boards and because it seems like the best value. The theming of the grounds looks beautiful, and the pool looks like such fun. In addition, CSR has queen beds. :mickey:

POR looks beautiful but I've lived in South Louisiana all my life and wanted a different look and feel, so CSR and the southwest/Mexican theme is perfect. We haven't made a choice between the different "villages" within CSR. I'm still researching that, so I may get something out of the responses you get on this thread. :thumbsup:

Whatever you choose will most likely be great!! Good Luck!!!

epceddie
05-14-2012, 11:29 PM
I would go with one of the moderates. Hotel resort fees are a rip-off. I can't see paying extra for things like local calls (doesn't everyone in the world have a cell phone by now?), use of the pool, the health club, and self-parking. Why aren't those things included in the nightly rate?

darthmacho
05-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Tough choice. Both Coronado and Riverside are personal favorites. Here's what I liked about each:

Coronado has wonderful theming, very nice if you like colorful and romantic.

Riverside has excellent theming as well, I personally love the "rustic" feel to the Bayou area, but we also loved our Mansion room. If you're leaning towards Mansion, I'd go with that.

I like all of the themed areas of Coronado, but I'd recommend a Cabanas with a water view as something with a romantic feel.

Maya Grill is a wonderful restaurant, but Boatwright's was a pleasant surprise, and food-wise turned out to be the highlight of our 2010 trip. If you're looking for romance, I'd give the edge to Maya Grill.

I loved Pepper Market when we stayed at Coronado, but that was over ten years ago. I've heard it's not the same anymore, so you might want to get some recent reviews.

Riverside Mill was an excellent "home base" for our 2010 trip, but it could be chaotic and crowded at times.

Hope that helped. :mickey:

Disney Doll
05-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Coronado is my favorite moderate. We stayed in the casitas and loved it. The casitas are closer to Pepper Market and the front desk. Plus, it's the first pick up on the bus loop. I think Coronado is one of the best landscaped moderates and we really enjoyed taking walks around the lake. It is a big resort, but we were happy with the casitas location. We liked the Pepper Market for the variety and we also found lots of options in their little grab and go shop as well. We loved the patio by the lake and often go our meals to go just so we could eat there. All CS rooms were renovated in 2009 and they are very nice.

When we stayed at Riverside we stayed in Alligator Bayou and if we ever stay there again I will certainly request the mansions. AB is too rustic for me and isn't a theme that I find appealing. That said Riverside is a pretty resort. The waterway is beautiful and the boat to downtown disney is kind of fun. POR is being renovated now, but I think they are scheduled to finish this summer. By October you are sure to get a nice new room.

Mickey'sGirl
05-15-2012, 10:43 AM
I prefer the Coronado to POR. I did not like the food court at POR (the quality of the food). The Coronado is beautiful.

CanadianWDWFan
05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Coronado vote from me!:thumbsup: While I did like Riverside, I just felt that the CSR was better suited for us. Our oldest loved the fact that there was a Pyramid by the pool.

On another note about your possible choice of the Dolphin or Swan. Think about location. We stay at the Boardwalk Villas and LOVE the fact that we can walk to two resorts. Also there are the boats that ply the water between Epcot and HS.

#1donaldfan
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
I am in the minority here !! Riverside is much nicer, IMHO !! It's very laid back, shaded, quiet, with many avenues of amusement. My sister stayed at CSR once and we went over to visit, and although I found it ok, it was just not giving off that Disney feel for me. Riverside is our home away from home, so I may be just a bit biased....either way, you will be at Disney......have fun !!!:cool:

NJGIRL
05-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I just have to think about it. :dizzy: Such a hard choice.

minnie-mouse
05-15-2012, 01:05 PM
We plan on staying at CSR next visit. I love the look of the resort, lush landscaping, large pool, Pepper Market, great bus service (that doesn't share with other resorts like POR). We love the beach areas to hang out at too. Definitely excited to try it there after all the reviews I have read and pics I have seen. I like to see palm trees and beaches on my vacation, and when we get back from the park each day, I want a place to relax. I personally don't get excited looking at pics of POR, looks a bit dull for me. But I don't think you can go wrong with either CSR or POR. Have fun planning!:mickey:

darthmacho
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I just have to think about it. :dizzy: Such a hard choice.

I'm going to reiterate...it's a tough choice, but probably one that you won't get wrong no matter which you make. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
We stayed at CSR in 2005 and loved it. The Pepper Market was awesome. My son says this is still his favorite resort, even over Wilderness Lodge...can't say I agree i loved the Lodge but CSR is my second favorite so far....

coloradowendyl
05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
For those of you who have not recently stayed at Coronado Springs, the Pepper Market has gone to a fixed price breakfast and lunch buffet rather than a food court service. Dinner is ala carte food court service. For grab and go items for breakfast and lunch, you may use Cafe Rix.

This began last December as a trial, but we have not seen an end date posted. The Pepper Market, believe it or not, has it's own Facebook page and as of today, was still showing buffet service for all meals except dinner.

Breakfast:
7:00 am - 11:00 am
Adult $14.99
Child $8.99

Lunch
11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Adult $16.99
Child $9.99

Dinner
4:30 pm - 11:00 pm
Al a carte

Wendy

MrPeetrie
05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
NJGIRL, you are choosing between two terrific moderates so rest assured you won't make a bad decision.

By the slightest amount, POR is our favorite moderate resort. The theme there is great and there's so much to do. They have a great pool complex -- Ol' Man Island. They have a fishing hole, offer carriage rides, and -- a real plus -- provide boat rides to Downtown Disney. When it was just my wife and I going to WDW, taking the boat to DTD was one of our favorite modes of transportation.

We've only stayed in the Alligator Bayou, but I really like the feel of that area. Their food court -- the Riverside Mill -- is really neat. It's large. And it appears the outside water mill is turning the fans inside. The music that plays throughout the resort is really "catchy." It's a fun resort.

Coronado Springs is also a great moderate. Their pool complex -- the Dig Site -- is also very nice. You can rent boats and go out on the lake. They have a better sit-down restaurant called the Maya Grille. Since I love Mexican food, I give the food-court nod to the Pepper Market, although I haven't been there in about five years. I also think it is a prettier resort.

The only real negative is CS has a convention and sometimes it can be a detractor. When you're "...inside the bubble," the last thing you want is to see people working where you're playing.

Both are great. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either selection. Good luck and enjoy!

Hammer
05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Rita,

My choice would be Coronado Springs, as it really does have an adult feel, which will be nice for an adult only trip. Was our favorite place to stay before we bought DVC. I have never been bothered by the sight of conventioneers. Make some time to enjoy the pool area or have drink at the Laguna Bar.

I've stayed in Casitas and Cabanas and I liked both.

Crow
05-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Coronado. at the moment, i have WL CL reserved w military discount wk after next, but i got a price on CS for some of those nights too and i might split stay.
it is sorta more adult since its a convention resort, has a nightclub and business center, health center. but it has a nice theme too.
wish they wouldnt have changed Pepper Mkt though, hope the dinner choices are still good.
too bad i cant use Tables in Wonderland there

j2k
05-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Pepper Market. I did not know that.

Crow
05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
they started testing a buffet for bfast & lunch at Pepper Mkt, but dinner they still have the different stations to pick from from what I hear, a la carte. it used to be that you could eat at Pepper for a CS credit on DDP, and get a steak.

Kenny1113
05-20-2012, 07:25 AM
I would go with POR. I was between these two a couple of years ago on a trip with my mom and two boys. I ended up going with CSR, and wished I hadn't. The customer service was bad, room was dirty (even found a roach in our room in AM, a first at WDW for me). I did not like pepper market. :ack: but this was before the buffet (maybe they changed the food ? )

Melanie
05-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Have stayed at CSR resort many, many times over the past few years for weekend trips (the last just being a few weeks ago) and it still remains our favorite moderate by far.

The rooms were rehabbed a few years ago and I just love the decor/color scheme. The queen beds and sliding door between bed and bath areas are the real plusses for me.

The view below is from the Cabanas area (my favorite) looking towards El Centro. It's really a gorgeous walk around the grounds, and like many have mentioned, the resort has a real adult feel.

El Centro is so pretty, plus it has my favorite Hidden Mickey at the entire resort! :mickey: We've always enjoyed the Pepper Market. Haven't had a chance to try the buffet, but we did have dinner a few weeks ago and it was yummy. My friend loved her burrito, which wasn't on the menu and they made special for her.

Customer service has always been kind to us, even working with us for an entire week when I left my husband's Nook in the room safe and couldn't get over until the next weekend to retrieve it. Service has always been a plus at both the check-in, restaurants and bars/lounges.

Haven't stayed at POR in years. Our trip there was fine, but the themeing at CSR is just more appealing to us. No matter what, I'm sure you will be happy with your decision Rita. :)

darthmacho
05-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Melanie, those pictures bring back such fond memories of Coronado Springs. Our view of the main buildings from across the water was fabulous, especially at night.

The rooms look a lot different than when I stayed there. I like this new design even better. :mickey: