PDA

View Full Version : Spring Break/Easter Crowds vs. June Heat

Disdaddy
05-12-2012, 04:28 PM
We're booked for a trip the week after Easter next year but might change it to the first week in June. Which is better?

BrerGnat
05-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Definitely Spring Break time. We did that in 2010 and it was the BEST trip ever. Weather was perfect, parks were open late, and crowds were not that bad, honestly. I'd keep the spring break dates if I were you.

Disdaddy
05-12-2012, 06:41 PM
You're the only one that has said that. Everybody says the weeks before and after Easter are awful. We can handle the crowds. We get there before the parks open. We've also been July 4th week and the week after Christmas and the crowds didn't really effect us. We did't have kids though.

ANG
05-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I haven't been either times but I would choose crowds over heat any day.

tjstrike
05-12-2012, 07:57 PM
We went during spring break 3 yrs ago and that will never happen again. Even my wife, who can handle crowds and has been to Disney for Christmas said we'd never do Disney at spring break again. :ack:

wenvi
05-12-2012, 08:20 PM
The June heat was nothing compared to the huge crowds over Easter break! We have a trip planned in August only because we vowed never, ever to go over spring break again. We got to the parks early and the fastpasses were already for very late afternoon or evening. It really took the fun out of our trip waiting for hours in line, only to ride 2 or 3 rides in a 5 hour time span. If you think the heat will be a problem I suggest you invest in some Frogg Togg Chill towels to keep you comfortable! MOO

Kairi_7378
05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
We went two weeks before Easter once and we had some very bad experiences. I would avoid going at this time if possible. It is a shame because the weather at that time of year is fantastic.

buzznwoodysmom
05-12-2012, 09:05 PM
At first thought I would say I would go in June. If you can go in early June the temps might not be so high yet. We've done early June at least 3 times now and the heat was very managable. We did notice the heat increasing toward the very end of our trips, but for the most part it wasn't at that bad. So I would say my family could probably tolerate the heat of early June more so than huge crowds, and there is always the pool if things get too hot.

On the other hand my family managed just fine for Christmas last year. Granted we left as the major crowds were rolling in, but we did not feel it was too crowded all the way up to, and including, Christmas Day. We've also been for Thanksgiving and didn't think the crowds were all that bad.

texas211
05-12-2012, 11:36 PM
I would take anything over the crowds... So, heat, here I come.

But, if you can. End of April, beginning of May is outstanding. This is our new preferred time. We like June but, can't beat this time frame. Low crowds, fewer groups, good times! And generally okay weather (precip can be a small issue) and a lil cooler than June.

BrerGnat
05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I would take anything over the crowds... So, heat, here I come.

But, if you can. End of April, beginning of May is outstanding. This is our new preferred time. We like June but, can't beat this time frame. Low crowds, fewer groups, good times! And generally okay weather (precip can be a small issue) and a lil cooler than June.

See, I'm the opposite. I can handle crowds, but I HATE heat and humidity! I mean, honestly, I can't really handle crowds that well either, but I have NO problem heading out of the parks and spending lots of time at my resort. :blush:

Disdaddy
05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the input. I believe we're gonna keep our April reservations.

Crow
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
these being the only 2 options...
last yr was in March. 3 yrs ago was easter wk as thats when my nephews were off...it was bad crowdwise.
i just booked end of may beginning of june..temps in 80s forecast maybe.
I go w beginning of June..not all of the schools are out yet.

mustBgoofy
05-14-2012, 07:31 PM
We went WDW 3 years ago during the week leading up to Easter - NEVER AGAIN! I can totally handle the crowds, but there were sooooo many high school groups and lets just say, if I EVER found out my kid behaved that way or one of my students behaved that way while representing me or my school (while wearing school shirts) I would be LIVID. I also went same year during the 2nd week of June. I would totally take the 2nd week of June. I am used to the heat and humidity living on the MS Gulf Coast, though.

JerseyDad
05-14-2012, 10:46 PM
....our very first WDW trip was during Easter / Spring Break week of 2004....and...had it not been for our second trip to WDW that very year (in fall..."Jersey Week")...I'd have never gone back. The crowds were insane...and 90 minute waits were the norm for most of the attractions. It was also VERY warm...like...low 90's...which I guess didn't help my mood (or 1st impression - opinion) either. We've since had to settle for the last week of August into the 1st week of September...since my daughter can't miss any of her AP Honors high school classes. The crowds are surprisingly low that last week of August....I think the schools in the south are all back in session by then.

JPL
05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
I would take the heat over the crowds any day!

Figment104
05-15-2012, 12:30 PM
I have to admit that I seem to be with the majority and would take the heat over the crowds. I've been during spring break/Easter my entire childhood and the one thing I remember is tons and tons of people and long, long lines, now granted that was before the fastpass system. I've since been in May, June, July, Sept, and Oct, and honestly we love the end of May beginning of June. The heat really isn't that bad, and if you miss Memorial Day than you should be pretty good crowd wise. I was actually planning on our next trip being in early/mid June next year, but decided to change it to early/Mid May since it'll be my DS first trip (18 months at the time) and I'm not sure how he would do with the heat. But I fully intend to book our trips in the future for that time frame.

Disdaddy
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I noticed that this year during our spring break (first week in April) that MK opened early everyday at 7. I believe we could do most of the stuff we wanted to do before it got really crowded. Our kids will be 2 and 6 so we will spend a lot of time in Fantasyland. I'm also pretty good and planning out the FPs.

henrylarry6
05-16-2012, 02:25 AM
You should opt for spring as it would be the best time to be there.

crmark1
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
My family and I have been many times at Easter/Spring break. The weather is usually pretty nice and we didnt think the crowds where to bad. Last year we went in June (20-25th) and it was over 100 every day but we had a great trip. Hit the parks early and after lunch went back to the resort to swim and rest until dinner. I like both times of the year but I would vote for June.

LVT
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Spring break for us is 2nd week of Mar. Easter is the last week of March. Ours can be a little cool for enjoying the water parks. That extra 2 weeks should be great for weather. We have been in late May/ early June. There maybe fewer people than Spring, but the heat does slow you down. My vote is the week you have. If you plan and get up early, you should be napping or at the pool for the worst crowds.

Disdaddy
05-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all the input. Pretty sure we will stick with spring break first week in April. One plus about going at a crowded time is that they usually don't refurbish attractions then.