PDA

View Full Version : My vacation is turning into a nightmare!

Dyanna
05-07-2012, 01:41 PM
:mad:As some may have read a while ago the family that is traveling with us is creating a major headache with us with trying to make reservations & just planning in general. We have reservations in Oct for a 2br LV at BLT consisting of 4 adults 2 children 5 & 2 children under 3 at time of travel. The mother of the family is now looking to change jobs. She is a front runner for this position. If she is to get this job they will no longer be able to take the trip with us. What do I do then? My husband & our daughter would still like to go but wont need such a large place to stay. Our use year is April & we have to bank any unused points by end of Nov. As this would be our 1st time in this situation I am unsure what to do. In order to go on this trip in Oct we had to borrow our 2013 points to get such a large room. Can someone please advise as to what options we have so we dont lose our points.

VWL Mom
05-07-2012, 02:06 PM
This hasn't been easy, has it. Keep in mind that you cannot bank the borrowed 2013 points. Also, in order to bank 2012 points you would need to cancel at least 30 days prior or they would go into a holding account which would then make them unbankable. Hopefully your using straight 2012 and 2013 and not banked 2011.

I think you just need to tell them you need to now by x day if they are coming. I'm still not so sure I would trust they still wouldn't find a reason to back out anyway. First it was the price, now a job change, what next?

If all else fails, keep the 2 bedroom and luxuriate in the space :mickey:

Aurora
05-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I think you just need to tell them you need to know by x day if they are coming. I'm still not so sure I would trust they still wouldn't find a reason to back out anyway. First it was the price, now a job change, what next?

If all else fails, keep the 2 bedroom and luxuriate in the space :mickey:

I agree. Even if they say "yes" by x day, you don't know whether they're going to back out at the last minute.

At this point, I might say: "You know, it sounds like your life is really in transition right now and maybe you don't need the extra stress of planning a vacation. Why don't we try another time?" I'd bet money on there never being another time.

We had friends whom we invited on vacation with us several times, and they finally were going to come. We were already at our vacation spot (a six-hour drive away) when they called and told us they had been on their way but had to turn around and go home because their child was crying in the car. Lesson learned! We never invited them again.

DVC2004
05-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Gosh I'm really sorry. Maybe it's for the best though. I am in agreement about saying maybe another time. Then you have given them an "out" so to speak but more importantly you can maybe salvage some of your points. :( I am really sorry. Here you do something nice...let's hope if they do come back in the future looking to go you can say you already have used up your points etc...

It sounds like you will have a much more enjoyable vacation on your own. Good luck!

Madame Leona
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
I agree with previous posts about giving them an out. If it's this hard to just plan, I'd be concerned with how difficult the family would be once you get down there.

DizneyRox
05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
I got rooked once on using points for a room I wouldn't normally need, and vowed that would never happen again.

I'd give them an ultimatum with a need to know date very soon. As mentioned, you've borrowed points already and that can't be fixed, but you can maybe recover somewhat if you make a decision on points right away.

The 2BR isn't bad, I liked having all the extra room and towels, but it is a waste of points if you don't need to cover a body count in the room.

BrerGnat
05-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Cut and Run. Now.

I'm sure these people are good friends of yours, but if you want to remain friends, cut them out of these vacation plans NOW! They have caused nothing but problems and the trip isn't even here yet!

Make up some story if you have to...tell them that you weren't able to get the ressie you wanted, and now can only get a 1br. Whatever.

Do you have any extended FAMILY (not friends) that might want to tag along if you can't downgrade your 2BR?

Hope you are able to salvage some of your points. Can you rent them out and recoup some cash if you can't put them back in your bank? That might be an option.

Wolf
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
I agree with previous posts about giving them an out. If it's this hard to just plan, I'd be concerned with how difficult the family would be once you get down there.

I'm gona second Madame Leona here, I've never traveled with a group to the World but I have traveled with problematic family and understand the nightmares they bring...I'd try to get out of their involvement as quick as you can and if you can't fix the points you've already claimed for this trip just take it and enjoy the quiet freedom from their tyrany.

TheDuckRocks
05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't lie to them. Instead I would tell them out right that the cost of the points you would be using from a 2-bd to a 1-bd is roughly $200 or more per night value, which you are more than willing to use if they are really going. If this ended up that they for any reason had to cancel their part of the trip it would be very upsetting to you and would damage the friendship between the families. So please tell me now if you are willing to take that risk.
If they do back out call member services and explain your situtation and ask for help getting the points on a basis that would give them back to you. If it is at all possible they will work with you.

Aurora
05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I reread your old posts again and the more I read, the more I think you shouldn't ignore all the giant red flags about making travel plans with this family. Even if they do wind up going (which is a BIG if), I really doubt you will have a good time with them. It sounds like you are doing all the accommodating and they are doing all the complaining and wriggling.

As for your point use, it's hard to give you advice without knowing how many you're using from this year and how many you borrowed for the 2-bedroom. I've never heard of Disney making exceptions about putting back points that have already been borrowed, but you certainly can bank the points from this year into next year. Since your trip is in October, is it possible for you to add on days to your vacation?

Planning for vacation shouldn't be this stressful! Good luck!