PDA

View Full Version : AKL more bites

waymickey
05-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I have never stayed at AKL but visit it on each trip. I think I would enjoy staying there but there is one thing stopping me, the bugs. Every time we visit I seem to get eaten alive by mosquitos. I go back to the WL with welts all over.
Has anyone else had this problem? Are there more bus due to the animals? Or am I just a tasty treat for these blood suckers?

Georgesgirl1
05-06-2012, 09:14 PM
We stayed at Kidani Village in 2010 and had no issues with bugs. We were there in October so maybe we were out of season for issues with them? ODS is a mosquito magnet though, so you would think that they would find him if they were around!

DizneyRox
05-06-2012, 09:28 PM
WDW has definitely cut back on pest control. We had been going same time for almost 20 years, and the past three trips (that's probably starting 5 years now) I've come back with bug bites that lasted for weeks!

I distinctly remember just hanging out on the bridge to Tomorrowland one EMH night and looking down and seeing things I never saw before (they looked alien) crawling all over my legs. I don't stand still anymore at WDW,and I pack my own bug spray. It helps, but those are some nasty bugs down there in the swamps.

c&d
05-07-2012, 08:47 AM
I just got back from 5 days at AKL and we didn't have a problem with the bugs. My aunt spent quality time on the porch watching the animals and she wasn't bitten either.

Dsnygirl
05-07-2012, 08:54 AM
We've stayed at AKL twice... both times in October... and didn't have any problems w/ mosquitoes. In fact, I can't remember a time I've felt we even noticed any at all... even in the heat of August. (and I'm usually the one they go for... :blush:) I would give it a try -- you might be pleasantly surprised!

buzznwoodysmom
05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
We've never had issues at AKL. I did get lots of bites at POR once. This was in June of 2010. That was the only time I've ever been biten by mosquitoes in WDW.

waymickey
05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
We go to the AKL to do the night viewing of the animals. Also because we like the atmosphere at the lodge at night with the outdoor fires . Last time we were there it was August and I left with welts the size of quarters. I went to the front desk and showed a CM and he got a creme for me to help with the itching and some ice. He told me to see some one if the swelling got worse. I kinda figured there were more bugs since it was night and we were surrounded by "wild" animals :simba:

wdwvacationeer
05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
We stayed there last summer and did not get any bug bites. We spent a lot of time at the resort during all times of the day or night and none of us got a single bite.

JPL
05-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I always stay at AKL and never received a single bug bite that I could remember. Although I did get eaten alive at the Contemporary :(

Fastpasssteve
05-10-2012, 02:24 AM
Same with us - no problem. We were there in mid-October. Perhaps this is a seasonal thing. And I don't think there are more insects due to the animals. There at Disney, I bet the animals are cleaner than some of the guests. Just sayin'

WDW&MK
05-10-2012, 06:41 AM
I agree that Disney has cut way back on pest control. I had a ton of mosquito bites while watching the Hallowishes fireworks at MK. I was standing near the Crystal Palace.

disneymomma2010
05-12-2012, 09:49 PM
We went last year in october and they were so awful at POR. I have never noticed them that bad before. We couldn't walk the resort or let our kids play longer than 10 minutes in the pool at night because they were covering us! Definatly packing the bug spray this year.

From what Im hearing sounds like you need bug spray no matter where you stay,

ThanxForNoticin
05-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Never had any problems with bugs or bites at AKL. I will say, however, that we are rarely there during the hotter summer months. I guess that could make a difference.

Mickey'sGirl
05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
We did get some bites out near the pool at night at AKL, but they were nothing compared to the Fire Ants at the Poly in 2006, or the sweat bugs at Old Key West in 2010 (they took a few weeks to clear up!). I think a few bugs can be expected in the humidity if you are near any kind of foliage anywhere at Disney.

NJGIRL
05-14-2012, 11:29 AM
We stayed at AKL and have never been bitten.