PDA

View Full Version : Live from POFQ - Minus a day-Day 3

TiggeRia
05-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Wednesday, May 2

Today was an early rise day. Quick shower and breakfast in the room. We were to the bus stop by 7:45. It was a morning EMH day at AK and there were plenty of people waiting....and waiting...and waiting. Five MK, two EPCOT and two DHS buses later and ours finally showed up. Got to AK around 8:30 and made a mad dash to the Dawa Bar to start our Wild Africa Trek tour!

This tour was pretty cool. It starts off with getting fitted with the vests and storing your belongings. They allow you to take nothing, just a camera that is strapped to you. We then left down the Pangani forest trail and off the beaten path. They take you through the woods along a path where there are lots of roots and uneven ground. We first stopped at the hippos where they strap you into a harness type thing so you can walk out to the ledge. Very informative guides and great photos.

Another path through the woods led to the two rope bridges to cross and then a viewing of the crocodiles with the same harness type strap. A bit further down the path was our jeep who took us on a private tour of the safari with plenty of stops for picture taking. We took a 25 minute break on the covered platform in the middle of the safari where we got juice and tins of food provided by Boma. Very tasty and awesome views. Back on the jeep and we made a few more stops. The lion actually sat up for us so lots of good photos there.

The tour ended shortly after that. It lasted just under 3 hours. We got to keep our water bottles and we got conservation pins. They no longer give you a coupon for a free photo pass cd. Rather they mail you all the pictures within 2 weeks.

We did some shopping and slowly made our way out of the park and back to our resort. Dropped off our purchases and hopped on the boat to DTD. We had a yummy lunch at Earl of Sandwich and did a little shopping all over the market place. Dessert was sundaes at Giardelli's and we took another boat back to the resort.

The sun must have ben getting to us as we both crashed for a few hours. Woke up and had sow dinner at the hotel. I had the fried chicken and Chris had the pot roast. Both meals were very good, but the portions were huge.

After dinner I attended the campfire to roast some marshmallows and then we took a walk down to Riverside. It's such a pretty resort, but I've always been hesitant to stay there because of the size. I think I'll have to try it sometime, though. We packed it in early again....I was fast asleep by 9:30.

Tinkerbella16
05-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Sounds like an awesome day! I just love French Quarter! I have stayed at both Riverside and FQ and FQ is my favorite. But I must say, when we stayed at POR, we were in one of the furthest buildings there but very close to the West Depot bus stop... and I still didn't mind the walking to the main areas because the grounds are so gorgeous and relaxing. POR is more spread out and bigger, but never felt over-crowded at all. I love the giftshop at Riverside.. it was bigger and more stuff to look around at than FQ. The River Roost and Boatwrights are two gems at Riverside, that we loved having right there at the resort. :mickey:

My Sept trip was booked for POFQ, but because of the room-only discount that just came out, I was able to switch to a Royal Guest Room at Riverside and saved money so looks like I'm going back and I'm actually quite excited!

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Sounds like fun, thanks for the report

emerzmom
05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Another great day! I love POFQ. I think it is the most intimate of all the resorts. What a great trip so far!
:mickey:
Julie

shadowden
05-08-2012, 11:57 AM
The Wild Africa Trek tour sounds like an awesome experience. Might have to try that some time with my kids. Maybe next trip...

Thanks again for the great report!

Disneywarrior
05-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the report!

faline
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
From your description, it sounds a bit like the old tour that was available to concierge level guests with a few added features (rope bridges and savannah snack spot).

It was such a busy day, I don't wonder you were tired!

January-2007
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for reporting!