PDA

View Full Version : Dealing With August Heat

Luv4WDW
05-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi all,

I have lupus and will be going to Disney at the end of August. Along with my lupus comes a heat sensitivity. I went at the end of June one year for my honeymoon and was totally fine. I was thinking August wouldn't be any worse, but lately I've been reading comments saying how horrible August is. Is it really that much worse than June? Thanks!

disney obsessed
05-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Nope!

at least I have never noticed a difference.
There is always the hope you'll get a cold streak like we did last month. I was really surprised to have to wear a sweatshirt during the day.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
We've been twice in August, and it is crazy hot and humid.

The first year, we weren't prepared and I actually sat on the ground and cried at the end of our first day, as I was so hot and worn out.

Then, we got smart. Drink a lot, make use of the air-conditioning (shows, theatres and even stores) when possible and enjoy the pool in the heat of the day.

So yes, hot and humid, totally managable though.

buzznwoodysmom
05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I live in Southern Louisiana, and we have weather very much like Orlando. August is way hotter than June here in Louisiana. It's not just the heat, it's the humidity that's also worse. Not trying to discourage you, but want you to be prepared. Here in Louisiana August is our hottest, most humid, month for sure.

To the other poster, having a cold streak in April isn't unheard of. However, don't go expecting or hoping for any kind of cold streak in August. It's just not realistic. I've lived here my entire life and have never seen anything I'd consider remotely "cool" as far as weather is concerned in August.

Strmchsr
05-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes, August is worse (that is from data, not merely subjective speculation). And I have a couple of friends with Lupus so I understand where you're coming from. My first bit of advice would be to reschedule if at all possible. Seeing what Lupus does to my friends during Alabama summers I can't imagine trying to enjoy a theme park in August.

If that is not possible, I think Heather's advice is best. Plus, go early in the morning, go back to your room for the afternoon and a nap, then come back out as the sun is going down and enjoy a late evening without the sun. It's still hot and humid at night, but a little more bearable. Drink a TON of water, go inside as much as possible, use an umbrella, use SPF 1000 sunscreen, etc.

Pirate Granny
05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
All good advice...but wear a nice straw HAT! HAT! HAT

disneydeb
05-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Wear light colors made of natural fibers (cotton), even light colored shoes. Drink water, gatorade, water, and chase it with more water. Place cool wet wraps around your neck.

SBETigg
05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
To get an idea of how hot August can be-- my shoes (Keds, back in the 90s) melted to the pavement once while waiting in an outdoor queue (Universe of Energy- makes me laugh now to think that once had a long outdoor wait). We find it helps to have our biggest meal at midday and then take an afternoon resort rest. Get out to parks early, take the break during the hottest part of the day (12-3), and plan to make the most of the cooler (though still hot) evening hours. Also, keep track of the quick service places that have AC and are indoors. You will want every opportunity to get out of the heat. Stay hydrated and make sure to get one of those fans that blow water at you-- they really do help.

The heat and humidity slow your pace, but it is manageable with good planning. Not sure how manageable for really heat-sensitive people, though. My husband says he will never do August again now that our kids are out of school and we have more options.

Luv4WDW
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks everyone! Rescheduling is not an option for us as my husband is a teacher and will be starting school shortly after our trip. We ALWAYS go back to the hotel in the afternoon to swim during the hottest part of the day, so that's a given. We will be staying at the Boardwalk and GF so it should be fairly easy to accomplish. I also always wear a visor and a higher SPF sunscreen. I planned our table service meals for lunch, to guarantee we'll be in AC and out of the heat. Thanks for the preparation. It sounds like I'm already doing all I can but it's nice that I won't walk off the plane and be totally blown away by the conditions.

joonyer
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
June, July, August, even September, It's pretty much the same, weather wise, in central Florida. Not much significant difference in those months.

LVT
05-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Shop your way done the street when you can. HS and MK have a lot of interconnected shops. It helps with heat and parade crowds.

#1donaldfan
05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
It's very hot and humid, yet it seems to me that you've got a handle on what you need to do, and how to effectively escape the heat !!! Drink plenty of water and or gatorade, rest at or around lunch, and just take your time....have a great trip !!:cool:

MarkC
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM
We went to a local sporting goods store a couple of years ago and bought a device called Frogg Toggs. They are about $15 each. You wet them and put them around your neck and they really, really help keep you cool. We've been in July and August and it helps, and we're going back this August so we'll use them again. I'm sure there are similar devices, but they're well worth the money spent.

Snow's Mom
05-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Not sure about Frogg Toggs, but we bought cool neck wraps on Ebay. Probably the same thing? Soak the fabric in cold water. They swell up (like gel inside) and you can wear them around your neck to take the edge off the heat. They really do help. (Take them off when you're in the AC, though.) But afternoon naps and drinking a lot of water are great advice, too.

Renfairwedding
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
A GAC card will help on ride lines.

You can ask for a cooler shaded spot to wait your turn.

dizneydeb22
05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
A GAC card will help on ride lines.

You can ask for a cooler shaded spot to wait your turn.

I agree! You would qualify for a GAC. It could help you tremendously, along with all the great advice already offered.

We will be there in the middle of August..We travel in August every year and we are able to manage it. Good Luck and have a great trip!:mickey:

Aurora
05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Women are usually loathe to do this, but if you don't care about your hair, wet down your hat and put it on. It really makes a big difference! When it dries out, find a water fountain and do it again.

I also have to repeat the advice to drink lots of water. Carry a water bottle with you. Drink even when you don't think you need to or aren't thirsty.

Luv4WDW
05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
What are GAC cards? I've never heard of them.

Snow's Mom
05-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Guest Assistance Cards. We got one for our nephew who has Down's Syndrome. Go to Guest Services and tell them your concerns and they will fix you up. In our case, our little guy was in a stroller, but he didn't have enough energy to do the walking from stroller parking to the rides all day long. Once we realized that, we went to GS and they gave us a stroller pass so we could use it like a wheelchair. In your case, it may be as simple as finding you a cooler place to wait in line.

minnie04
05-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Heat is Heat here in Florida It's always hot. August is VERY hot here, but it can be done. Just drink a lot of water and rest as often as you can. If you have been to the parks before. I would map out what is really important to see on this trip and focus on that. Try to go at night if possible. It’s a tad bit cooler at night. We personally never hit the parks in the summer it’s just too uncomfortable with the heat and crowds...We will do a water park for a day and that’s awesome in the summer here. They keep the water so cold... luv it :cloud9:

jimsgal05
05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I ahve MS so the the heat can effect me we go in the am take our time then after a lunch we go to the resort to nap or to have pool time sahde is my friend...amd water too...I use th GAC card st6anding in long lines in the heat is something I can't do... I have been fro May - Aug it is the same temp...take your time and go to as many rides /attractions that are shaed ot inside... fav is Buzz light yr at MK.. going to the parks at night is awsome ther is always a breaze and less people too!! enjoy your trip!! and remember to post after on how you guys had a great trip!!:mickey:

gaffz70
05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Ditto to all above responses. We always go in August and we always bring those spray fan bottles from home ( cost too much in disney). We usually fill them with ice and water before heading out to the parks. It's a great way to cool off if you can't get inside for a break. And we are back at the hotel by lunch/